Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Visting the Big Apple and the Big Cheese, for the Holidays! December 2010

Visiting the Big Apple and the Big Cheese for the Holidays! December 2010

Hi there!

Now that Christmas is out the way, I can finally make a start on a trip report of my latest trip to Walt Disney World.

The cast..

Me – Emma – 26 - huge Disney fan .. currently planning our wedding and Disney honeymoon (see link in my signature to PJ if you’re interested!)

DF – Steve – 26 - not quite as big a Disney fan as me, but he loves it once he’s there!

This trip to WDW was planned before we got engaged (Christmas day 2009!), and because of the wedding costs, I wasn’t sure if we’d still be able to go.. but we worked through the numbers, and decided it would still be possible!

The Itinerary…

December 8th to 11th …. New York City.. the Big Apple … neither of us had been there before and really wanted to go! So it seemed a good idea to combine a city break there with 6 days at Disney.

December 11th to 17th …. Disney World... home of the 'Big Cheese'... Mickey Mouse! … we booked a studio at the Boardwalk Villas (my family’s DVC home resort) for 6 nights; I’d been to WDW with my sister last December, and couldn’t wait to show DF the holiday decorations and events!

I hope the Disney fans here won’t mind me starting the TR with our stay in NYC… I’ll get to the WDW days soon!

Last edited by disneybarbie; 01-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 1... we arrive in the city that never sleeps..

Wednesday 8th December

The alarm woke us up bright and early at 4am.. it had finally arrived .. the first day of our vacation!
Quick showers & final packing, and my sister arrived at 5am to take us to the airport. Just one week before, the country had come to a standstill because of snow & ice.. and it had crossed my mind that we wouldn’t be able to go on this vacation if the weather continued! But luckily, the icy weather held off for a few days .. and we had no problems getting away (coming home will be a different story.. stay tuned!)
Got to London Heathrow airport just before 6am.. there were no queues at all to drop our bags.. and we were through security and in the departure lounge by 6.15am!

After buying some new perfume for me, and a box of chocolates to give to the cabin crew on our flight.. we had some breakfast at (my favourite) Starbucks.

We boarded the plane, took off a little late – and apart from a few ‘lumps and bumps’ as the captain put it , it was a nice, 7.5 hour, flight… and giving the cabin crew a box of chocolates was a great idea.. as they gave us two glasses of champagne to say thank you!

We arrived at JFK, got quickly through immigration & baggage claim.. and soon we were in a town car and driving through Queens, on our way to the city that never sleeps!!

We’d both been so excited to visit NYC.. after seeing it in so many movies & TV programmes, I couldn’t wait to actually be in the real place!

Our hotel was on 34th Street and 7th Avenue.. The New Yorker.

We checked in – it was just before 3pm so had to wait a few minutes for our room to be ready.

We made our way up to the room.. on the 33rd floor … I don’t think I’ve ever been that high up in a building before!

The room was small but well furnished & very clean... plus we had a fantastic view over to New Jersey!

Usually I’d unpack as soon as we get to a hotel; but we decided just to head out!

continued..
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 1 - continued...

It wasn’t too cold (yet!), so we started to walk towards central park – and just happened to stumble upon Times Square on our way there!

Oh… and what’s that I see…. A Disney Store?!

So in we went.

I really liked the design of the shop, and the exclusive NYC merchandise! I got the Statue of Liberty Vinylmation.

We continued our stroll towards the park, stopping at Rockefeller Plaza & Radio City..

We made it to the park, just before the sun was setting…

I was excited to see the ice-skating!

Although neither of us can skate.. So we walked back towards 5th Avenue…

WOW there were some amazing looking shops on this road! We didn’t go inside though.. I just window shopped!

continued...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

We wandered back to the Rockefeller Plaza to see the tree lit up..

We cut back through to Times Square, by now.. it was feeling much much colder; so we decided to stop off at a bar… celebrate our first day in the city!

Steve had a corona ..

And I had a Cosmopolitan (had to have the signature SATC cocktail!)

When Steve got another beer, someone opened the door to the bar… and his drink actually froze!! It was that cold! The barmaid said she’d never seen it happen before, and gave him another for free!

.. I tried a ‘Times Square’ martini, it was passion-fruit flavoured, very pretty.

It was a great place to sit & watch the world go by!

We got talking to a really nice group of Canadians who were sat next to us, they’d been working in NJ but had come over to Manhattan to go to the John Lennon Memorial that night (it was the 30th anniversary of his death).

We headed back to our hotel, stopping at a Ruby Tuesday’s for dinner.

Once back at the hotel, despite being awake for almost 22 hours.. I somehow managed to unpack the suitcases before falling fast asleep (at 9pm)!

That was the end of our exciting first day.. stay tuned for more!

Emma x
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I'm here, Emma! Great start! I love NYC. I usually go up with my grandmother and cousin for a weekend of shopping every year but we haven't been in about 2 years now. I'm dying to go back!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
TeaForTulips
DIS Veteran

Talking

subbing!

cant wait to read more!

Tarah (That's me!) Jen Mary Marmee Bobo Trista Mario Pierce Hallise Pollyanna Tucker
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
stephielela
DIS Veteran

subbing! I LOVE New York! I am so jealous you got to see the new Disney store! Can't wait ti hear the rest of your adventures!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
taramoz
DIS Veteran

NYC and Disney, I am in, love both!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hi Emma, I'm here! Isn't NY the best? I love walking up and down 5th avenue! The stores are just gorgeous, especially at Christmas time! Seems like you guys had a great first day-- certainly saw and did a lot!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Visiting the Big Apple and the Big Cheese for the Holidays! December 2010

I am in! Love the Saints sweatshirt!

Thanks for the photos of NYC. I lived there for 4 years, and went to the old World of Disney, but the new one opened after I left and I haven't seen it yet!

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

I'm subbing Emma! Loving your NY adventure so far, amazing pics too! So did you get any other goodies at the Disney store?

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Swalphin
DIS Veteran

Hi Emma,
Great start, I love NY at Christmas. We were in Disney the same time you were, I'll be reading along
Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Hayley94
Baking up a storm and dreaming of Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
We’d both been so excited to visit NYC.. after seeing it in so many movies & TV programmes, I couldn’t wait to actually be in the real place!

We made our way up to the room.. on the 33rd floor … I don’t think I’ve ever been that high up in a building before!
subbing!!! fantastic start, i went to NY for the first time in 2008 and i know what you mean about seeing it on tv and film, we were in the library taking pictures because of the SATC film, + also know what you mean about the hotel, when the receptionist said our floor i was like !!
can't wait for more!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Stephie77
DH and I married at the most magical place on earth on 1-3-10

Yay! You started. So glad you loved my home. You did a lot in one day! I am glad you enjoyed the Disney store. Honestly, I was so disappointed by it. The old one on 5th was bigger with more stuff. Oh well. What did I tell you about the stores on 5th? Awesome right? The city is the best at holiday time. What was your favorite thing? Can't wait to hear more!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie77 View Post
Yay! You started. So glad you loved my home. You did a lot in one day! I am glad you enjoyed the Disney store. Honestly, I was so disappointed by it. The old one on 5th was bigger with more stuff. Oh well. What did I tell you about the stores on 5th? Awesome right? The city is the best at holiday time. What was your favorite thing? Can't wait to hear more!
Hi Stephie! Yup we absolutely loved NYC... possibly favourite city in the world now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley94 View Post
subbing!!! fantastic start, i went to NY for the first time in 2008 and i know what you mean about seeing it on tv and film, we were in the library taking pictures because of the SATC film, + also know what you mean about the hotel, when the receptionist said our floor i was like !!
can't wait for more!

Hi! Thanks for reading along so far... lol we were near the library at Bryant Park, I wanted to go in (because of SATC movie!) and DF was like "why do you want to go in a library?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalphin View Post
Hi Emma,
Great start, I love NY at Christmas. We were in Disney the same time you were, I'll be reading along

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
I'm subbing Emma! Loving your NY adventure so far, amazing pics too! So did you get any other goodies at the Disney store?

Hi! .. just the Vinylmation.. I wish now I'd bought a tshirt or sweater too - glad that I got the souvenir bag though.. it has the 'I Heart Mickey' logo on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
I am in! Love the Saints sweatshirt!

Thanks for the photos of NYC. I lived there for 4 years, and went to the old World of Disney, but the new one opened after I left and I haven't seen it yet!

Hi! Thanks for reading so far.. my fiance is a big NFL & Saints fan! I bought him that sweatshirt & a tshirt ("Superbowl Champions 2010") from a football website.. he loves them! I also made him a tshirt with a Mickey in Saints outfit (that you have in your signature!) as an iron-transfer, surprise for this vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hi Emma, I'm here! Isn't NY the best? I love walking up and down 5th avenue! The stores are just gorgeous, especially at Christmas time! Seems like you guys had a great first day-- certainly saw and did a lot!
Hi! Yup we both fell in love with the city.. ... we did do a lot that first day, I didn't realise how close everything would be, it was so easy to walk everywhere! But we were soo tired by 7/8pm (that would've been 12/1am on English time!), the jet lag caught up with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoz View Post
NYC and Disney, I am in, love both!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
subbing! I LOVE New York! I am so jealous you got to see the new Disney store! Can't wait ti hear the rest of your adventures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForTulips View Post
subbing!

cant wait to read more!

welcome all! thanks for reading.. I hope to do regular updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I'm here, Emma! Great start! I love NYC. I usually go up with my grandmother and cousin for a weekend of shopping every year but we haven't been in about 2 years now. I'm dying to go back!

Hi Courtney! a girls' shopping trip would be really fun in NYC.. that was one thing, going with DF, he doesn't like to shop very much hehe

Emma x

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: