Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #256
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Oh, c'mon princess - they're not tour guides...they're Skippers!

But kudos for adding all the jokes...my all time favorite:
"You may think that's water coming out their trunks...but it'snot."

We had a JC cruise last trip where just after the elephant bathing pool the skipper noticed this giant spider hanging off the boat. (I mean BIG - like 3-4 inches long.) And she sort-of half flipped out and totally broke character for the rest of the ride. I have video of it, but the spider itself is "barely" seen in the shot. I was debating about posting it on my TR thread - we'll see if I can manage.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #257
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

They didn't show you the back side of water? Or is that a DL thing?
Alison ~~~~ Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #258
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
We ended up with a wondrful beef stew and slices of buttered bread. A wonderful American dinner, well as far as I'm concerned!
Nothing beats a good stew in winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Oh, c'mon princess - they're not tour guides...they're Skippers!

But kudos for adding all the jokes...my all time favorite:
"You may think that's water coming out their trunks...but it'snot."

We had a JC cruise last trip where just after the elephant bathing pool the skipper noticed this giant spider hanging off the boat. (I mean BIG - like 3-4 inches long.) And she sort-of half flipped out and totally broke character for the rest of the ride. I have video of it, but the spider itself is "barely" seen in the shot. I was debating about posting it on my TR thread - we'll see if I can manage.
Skippers....I'll have to remember that!

Your video sounds hilarious....go on....post it on your TR! Can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
They didn't show you the back side of water? Or is that a DL thing?
I was surprised that we didn't get to the back side of the water. It is a DL thing. But then DL doesn't have that 'tunnel of love' that WDW has.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #259
PrincessInOz
in

MK Again: Update 5 – Once is not enough

We were having a great time at MK when I got a text from DH. He had finished with his conference activities and had made it over to the park. So, we arranged to catch up at the Hub.

And then headed back to Adventure Land.

I took another shot of the Tiki Room..this time at twilight with the lights on...

...Whilst mini Pooh and mini Eeyore took a well earned rest. I’m not sure if Iago saw them but they were pretty safe from that hammer.

DH likes Pirates and I didn’t think that Firefly had been on the ride that afternoon; so we headed back there.

I’d worked out why a theme park is such a great place for photographers to go to; particularly when learning how to shoot in low light conditions. It’s the fact that you get to shoot, check out your shot, determine what to do differently next time, go on the same ride and make your adjustments.

I’d taken a look at my Pirates shots from earlier and I was keen to go on Pirates a second time; once was not enough; to see if I could learn from my mistakes. Sometimes it just takes a shift in seat position to make the shot….I’d sat on the left side of the boat the first time round and this time I sat on the second.

I didn’t take a lot of shots; just the ones that I wanted to correct.

Whilst still not perfect, Davy Jones was more distinguished in this shot. I still need to work on this shot. Maybe in the next trip!

I also got this shot of the sword in the stone … via the skeleton

And whilst the dog didn’t get in the picture the second time round, I think I managed to snare the Hidden Mickey!

And this shot definitely turned out much better than the first time round!

I figured that if you ever want to learn how to shoot something, then a theme park is the perfect place to practise. Repeatable, predictable and completely consistent!

Up Next: Once is DEFINITELY enough!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #260
PrincessInOz
in

MK Again: Update 6 – Once is definitely enough

DH had just joined us at MK and the MNSSHP festivities were running at full swing. He was amazed at the costumes and the effort that the Disney guests had gone to and was just soaking up the atmosphere.

Firefly and I took him round to have a look at some of the theming and special photo spots. We headed towards Fantasy Land.

Poor Firefly! Unfortunately for her, she got roped into an attraction that DH and I traditionally go to…but sadly, is not one of her favourites.

Yup! We headed into the American Girl Doll shop masquerading for a Disney attraction.

Mini Pooh and mini Eeyore settled down safely to enjoy the ride.

We didn’t have anyone else around in our boat.

I started to take shots of the different dolls in their various costumes.

DS would probably have liked me to bring home a couple of these. But I couldn’t find the check-out counter.

I always like to see a man (or doll) in a skirt!

And I know we’re on a boat and I easily get seasick…but at least I wasn’t as green as these guys!

I then spied a doll that I would love for myself…sadly, still no check-out counter in sight!

The costume on some of the dolls were just beautiful! Especially in the Asian section.

Firefly pointed out the Hidden Mickey here.

And I thought that this could have been the Magic Mushroom.

My prime lens was working a treat in here.

And we got to the end of the ride.

I’m glad that I managed to lock focus on the dolls; as I did not want to go through this ride again. I seem to recall them having a problem with their sound system in May with the music being stuck on the same song, when I was last at the park. It would seem that they have not fixed it in 5 months as the same music was still playing. Once is definitely enough for this ride!

Up Next: HalloWishes second time round

Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #261
PrincessInOz
in

MK Again: Update 7 – HalloWishes second time round

When we came out of It’s A Small World, we stopped into Snow White.

I’m not quite sure why we stopped in here. I suspect that it was the lack of a queue that enticed us in.

It was then time for us to head towards a spot to view HalloWishes. I was keen to head down to the center of Main Street; but Firefly wanted to stay away from the crowds. DH was also keen to view the fireworks from Main Street, so we headed down whilst Firefly found a spot to settle in Fantasy Land. I took some shots whilst we were walking from Fantasy Land to Main Street.

As I have a DS, this is probably the closest I’m going to get to CRT.

We walked round the Hub towards the TomorrowLand entrance.

My tripod made the 10,000-mile trip from Australia to Florida. Aside from my camera gear, this was about the only other camera gear that I had and I figured it was worth bringing it despite it taking precious bag space and adding weight to the luggage.

I hadn’t planned on taking the tripod with me for the first party and had intended to bring it along for the second night.

Unfortunately, in my zeal to pack this afternoon, I’d packed the tripod away in my bag, leaving it behind to enjoy the resort whilst the rest of my gear was with me at the park. I’d like to say that this was due to being obsessive compulsive; but really, it was plain stupidity.

I tried to console myself by thinking that I was a rank beginner in photography anyway and that I probably wouldn’t have known what I was doing.

In any event, I deliberately set myself near Casey’s in Main Street, right smack bang in the middle.

To the right of me was a guy shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II.
To the left of me was a guy shooting with a Nikon 700D.

Both had tripods.

Turned out Mr Canon was the silent grunting Neanderthal type and Mr Nikon was the silent grunting Cro-Magnum type. But I’d gotten enough out of them to figure out that BOTH of them had NEVER taken long exposure shots of the fireworks before.

If you ever take a tripod to the World, remember to USE IT!

My apologies for those of you that are reading this and are not interested in the details of the photographs. But based on the first HalloWishes posting earlier in the TR, I figure I need to dedicate some time for those photographers out there who will be heading to the World.

I’d pretty much started out taking shots the same way as the first time – by setting my camera in No Flash mode.

I was also determined to try out the other modes on the camera; despite not having a tripod. So, I set the camera into Aperture Priority mode.

f/18, ISO 6400, 1/5 sec.

f/13, ISO 6400, 1 sec.

f/4, ISO 100, 0.8 sec

I also set the camera into Shutter Priority mode.

f/2, ISO 100, ¼ sec

f/2, ISO 125, ¼ sec

f/2.8, ISO 100, ¼ sec

Sure looks like I need that Tripod or perhaps I was a little bit more unsteady in my hands for the above shots…But I had a few that were reasonable without tripod.

f/4, ISO 100, ¼ sec

f/5.6, ISO 100, ¼ sec

f/3.5, ISO 100, ¼ sec

f/4.5, ISO 100, ¼ sec

f/4.5, ISO 100, ¼ sec

The above shots show that I should have taken multiple steps back; or brought a wider-angle lens to the park. And I hope this helps those of you out there planning to take firework shots with your dSLR. For the rest – I hope you enjoyed the pictures and normal TR blogging will resume shortly.

Up Next: MNSSHP Parade second time round

Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #262
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

As a very naughty girl I will start by saying I have only read post #260 and #261.

I would ordinarily read at least a bit more before commenting but I notice you didn't take any photos of the *cough* Australia *cough* section in the American Girl Doll Shop.
I believe there are colourful creatures you can get as accessories for the dolls to play with if they ever get unstuck and move more than turns left and right.

Great Wishes shots
Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #263
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

I actually wound up in a shop in Frontierland looking at pins and talking to a CM for the whole length of the fireworks

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #264
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
As a very naughty girl I will start by saying I have only read post #260 and #261.

!!! Go back and read the rest, you naughty girl. I want a 1000 page synopsis of my TR before Christmas (2010).

I would ordinarily read at least a bit more before commenting but I notice you didn't take any photos of the *cough* Australia *cough* section in the American Girl Doll Shop.
I believe there are colourful creatures you can get as accessories for the dolls to play with if they ever get unstuck and move more than turns left and right.

Okay, I aim to please. Here are some photos of the Australian section, as accessories for the American Girl Dolls

Cockatoo - the Major Mitchell variety.

Emu

Kangaroos - Southern Grey.

Koala - Doing what it does best for 20 hours in the day.

Kookaburras - sitting in a PINE tree...

Platypus - taken from the Melbourne zoo.

Possum - I woke it up with the clicking of my camera.

Rosella - I can't recall what type - let's call it multicoloured.

Wombat - another noctural creature that pretty much sleeps all day!

Enjoy!

Great Wishes shots
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I actually wound up in a shop in Frontierland looking at pins and talking to a CM for the whole length of the fireworks
I can't remember - did you exchange any new pins during this time???

Old 12-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #265
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

THAT

Is a RAINBOW LORIKEET!!!
I know because many live in our backyard...

This is my favourite photo of a wombat.
I bet you've never seen one run this fast.
Scenario...keeper goes to burrow and picks the guy up to show him to us and let us pet him. Once we finish patting...keeper puts him down but knows this boy very well...and his fun game...
CHASE THE KEEPER. I wish we had a shot of the keeper running and jumping over the fence.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #266
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

I wondered if I was on the right TR! Miss a couple of days and all of a sudden I feel like I am at the zoo.

Your firework shots are great, even more great for being hand held.

What days (nights) of the week did you do MNSSHP? Was one less busy than the other?
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #267
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
THAT

Is a RAINBOW LORIKEET!!!
I know because many live in our backyard...

This is my favourite photo of a wombat.
I bet you've never seen one run this fast.
Scenario...keeper goes to burrow and picks the guy up to show him to us and let us pet him. Once we finish patting...keeper puts him down but knows this boy very well...and his fun game...
CHASE THE KEEPER. I wish we had a shot of the keeper running and jumping over the fence.

Thanks! Rainbow Lorikeet. I was close...Rosella family, multicoloured. Don't mind me. I was having one of my 'amnesiac' moments. Cool shot of the very active wombat. Don't think I've ever seen one move that fast (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt; rather than thinking it's you moving the camera!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
I wondered if I was on the right TR! Miss a couple of days and all of a sudden I feel like I am at the zoo.

Your firework shots are great, even more great for being hand held.

What days (nights) of the week did you do MNSSHP? Was one less busy than the other?
I went to MNSSHP on the Sunday and Tuesday nights. I didn't think it was busy at all. On both nights, most rides were walk-on (or a very short wait) except for Peter Pan and Dumbo. Most people were queueing to take pictures with the characters; which is something I didn't do on both nights. It was also busy at the first Parade down Main Street, which we avoided and went to the second Parade instead. I noticed the crowd at HalloWishes; but families with very young kids mostly disappeared after the fireworks.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #268
PrincessInOz
in

MK Again: Update 8 – MNSSHP Parade second time round

After HalloWishes, we caught up with Firefly. DH and I wanted to head into PhilharMagic. Firefly decided to sit this one out and opted to wait for us outside.

DH and I had seen PhilharMagic once before – in 2005 and had absolutely loved it. Tonight reinforced the memories we had of the attraction. Disney music is just fantastic and the Imagineers that work matching the imagery to the music are sheer genius’. Or is it the other way round? Either way, the outcome is pure artistry.

We caught up with Firefly outside and realized that we needed to find a spot for the late parade.

Where do you want to go?”
“I do know…how about we head in this direction?”
“I do know…how about we head in this direction?”

Uh Oh! The substitution of What to Do for Where to Go resulted in the first fracas that Firefly and I had in the last 2½ days together.

Turns out she really didn’t like crowds and wanted to head away from the Hub and Main Street to see the parade.

Me? I had only hours left at the World and in my mind; I had figured that I would be heading back to that same spot in Main Street to address some of the missed photo opportunities from the First Parade.

I’d worked out that a theme park was a great place for photographers to go to; particularly when learning how to shoot in low light conditions because you get to shoot, check out your shot, determine what to do differently next time. I’d been able to go through my photos from the first party and had a mental list of shots I was going to get!

Going somewhere else did not figure in the equation! AT.ALL!

So, we did the natural thing that a threesome would do…..

Got you thinking, didn’t I?

We turned to DH to see where he wanted to go. He was pretty happy to watch the Parade from anywhere…..as long as there weren’t too many people around. Yup! Unfortunately for me, DH was happy to stay away from the crowds as well.

I have to divert here – I’d pretty much ignored him during HalloWishes. I’d taken prime position between the Cave Men during HalloWishes; DH moved out of the way and I had no idea where DH had ended up. I figured he probably ended up somewhere on the footpath outside Casey’s…..maybe….hmmm.
So, he was not keen to repeat the experience for the Parade.

I knew that I was outvoted; so I kept my opinions to myself. For.now.

So, we headed in the direction of FrontierLand and ended up near the bend to the Mountains. This was our view.

It was probably less crowded than the Hub but still 3-deep. I was in the second row, with PEOPLE in front of me. To say that I was less than satisfied with the position was an understatement. I was not going to have the gorgeous castle as a backdrop!

I think it was here that Firefly turned round to talk to me about the position or something.
I don’t even remember what she said….but I know she kept it clean.
I don’t remember what I said…but I know I kept it clean.
I do remember DH butting in.

I’m pretty sure that neither of us were understanding…then.

I have already publicly stated in Firefly’s TR that this 5 minutes of conversation was the only thing I really regretted in all my time at the World. I am truly sorry for the disagreement we had that night and am really glad that we’ve cleared the air and made up. It’s just a pity it happened in our last hours together.

So, knowing that there was not going to be Repeatable, Predictable and completely Consistent shooting opportunities, I made the best of it.

Afterall, as both Firefly and DH had pointed out to me, a photographer should be able to take shots in any situation from any angle. Yes, they have a point…but I still consider myself as an L-plate shooter.

As it turns out, I got some shots that were better than the first night and some shots that were not as good as the first night.

I completely missed the Headless Horseman!

And the shots of Mickey and Roo were not as good from the first night.

BUT Peter looked my way!

And the Pirate ship worked out much better.

It was a close tie for the Croc shot.

I still missed the Pirate dancers.

The cute looking Pirate was still cute looking. Another close tie, although I think the one with the Castle as the backdrop is a little more interesting to look at.

This series of shots were the highlight for me. I didn’t even come close to getting a good shot of the gravediggers on the first night.

The shot of the Haunted Mansion dancers and float was definitely better the first night.

And I just couldn’t get Horace right on either night!

(Continued in the next Post)

Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #269
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

The Cowboys were a disaster on the second night!

As was Clarabelle.

My favourite band was still my favourite band. The shots were equally as good on this night as the first; possibly a shade better.

And the villains? Definitely a much better set on the first night….

With Jafar being the only exception. I love this shot!!

I didn’t even bother with Goofy’s Candy….I was too busy filling up my Trick or Treat bag.

And for the record, I’d improved on 5 Parade shots; so I ended up happy.

I was in a better mood after the parade but unfortunately the little hissy fit between Firefly and myself resulted in an awkward feeling between us. I don’t know if Firefly felt it that night but I certainly did (and it may have only be me!). It wasn’t until we both got home and back on the Boards and aired the moment before I felt over it. As I said before…to have spent 2 ½ days in each other’s company and to only have this “moment”…well, I thought we had gotten along really well!

After the end of the parade moved past us, we moved towards the Mountains.

We looked at Splash Mountain and all 3 of us decided to give it a miss. None of us felt like walking around in wet clothes for the rest of the night.

We decided to hop on BTRMM. It was pretty much walk on; given that the rest of the crowd was still waiting for the parade. Big Thunder is a hoot at any time of the day but there is something special about doing the ride at night!

DH still had not experience much of Trick or Treating and there was a Candy Stop right near Splash and with the crowds still pretty low in this part of the park, we stopped in twice!

Our bags were still rather pathetically unfilled at this stage, so Firefly and I decided to hit the ToonTown treats and the Alice Trail. By this stage, the parade must have finished as we walked into a sea of people…all of them seeming to head in our direction.

As Firefly knew all the shortcuts and less busy routes, we followed her and pretty soon, we had collected candy from all the Alice stops….and we were in Tomorrowland.

We headed to Space Mountain and got on pretty much within 10 minutes. DH and I just love this ride and for some reason, DH always screams like a girl when he gets on. I’m almost sure he does it deliberately!

We then ducked into Buzz Lightyear and fired off at Zurg! None of our scores were particularly stellar…but I got the highest score out of the 3 of us.

At this point, it was close to midnight and my feet were killing me! Firefly and DH still wanted to collect some more candy and Firefly suggested heading to the candy stops in Adventureland. Both Firefly and DH wanted to fill their bags so that they could share it with work colleagues.

I decided that I would walk down Main Street (slowly) and meet them round the main entrance. I also had a couple of things that I wanted to check out at the stores. I still hadn’t found the backscratcher nor had I completely given up on the Dooney and Bourke leather bag.

So, whilst Firefly and DH headed off, I walked in the Emporium. Sadly, I couldn’t find the backscratcher anywhere and had given up hope of picking this item up on this trip.

But THAT bag still nagged at me. I walked across the street and found it!

I put the bag on my shoulder and walked around the store with it; all the while having a real good hard think. It still was $220; and somewhere deep down inside me, I still craved the bag.

In the end, I put the bag back on the rack and settled on this picture.

And the story of this bag is not quite over yet….I have a trip to California coming up and plan to go to Disneyland for one day. Who knows?

DH called me at this stage and I arranged to meet them at Guest Relations. I headed over to City Hall and got my wristband cut off. I was not going to go to sleep with the band on tonight! Before too long, DH walked in.

“Where’s Firefly?”
“I don’t know. She was right behind me but lost her somewhere in Main Street.”

I sent her a text…whilst DH got his wristband cut off.
Turns out she was at Guest Relations…outside the gate.

So, we quickly walked out. Given the hissy fit we had that night, I was anxious to see her before we left. It was our last night at the World and I wanted to say goodbye in person; rather than by text message.

Firefly was waiting for us and we walked back towards the bus stops.

I really hate saying goodbyes – even more so when it was with a person that I had come to like as much face to face as I did on the Ethernet. But goodbye it was…we promised to get on the Boards when we got back and to exchange photos. I still have to send her a DVD of all my shots. I have the pictures ready – I just need to copy to a DVD.

DH and I headed to the CSR bus stop; and Firefly headed off to her resort stop. Goodbye it was.

Up Next: The Conclusion

Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #270
PrincessInOz
in

MK Again: Update 9 – Conclusion

Any misgivings I might have had about attending two MNSSHP in three days were quickly swept away. Disney sure know how to throw a party and the fireworks and parade was equally as fantastic to experience the second time round as it was the first.

I really enjoyed being able to take photographs with a lens capable of shooting in low light conditions. I may not have taken the most incredible photographs in the World; but I’m very happy with my snaps.

For those who wonder what sorts of treats Disney handed out in 2010, here is a selection of candy that came home with us.

I still don’t know how I’m going to eat all that candy!

Up Next: Heading towards San Francisco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: