Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #106
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

sorry I was so short this am Still excited to go in May

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #107
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

A Date in the Ditch

We were on our way to EPCOT- to meet our DGFs Joan & Peter from home, in the Ditch. They were at WDW for NJ week, and were with their daughter, Morgan, who is in 8th grade with Tyler. Their son, tighe, would be joining them later in the vacation. They were running a little late- Joan & Morgan had been to Tea that afternoon, while Peter had basically the same day as Pods- but at the CSR pool instead of the BC one (and DUH!! Why didn't those men get together???!!!). So we went for the International Gateway...and can I just say...I LOVE the IG! It is the BEST! Not to say I don't love staying at AKV, too- I do, it is completely magnificent, but so is walking 5 minutes into EPCOT from the couch in your room!

We were trying something for the first time....T&T would be touring EPCOT on their own. I was a little nervous, but they had EXPLICIT instructions, a pocketful of nickels, and a cell phone. And a VERY specific time to meet us in front of Chefs, along with a stick together like glue rule. They were VERY excited about this...which, quite frankly, made me sad- because it was just another sign of the kids are growing up too much!! That left Pods & I on our own in the Ditch...hmmm....I wonder what we'll do????

Hmmm...that's an idea! We met a couple (I know- go ahead...make all the comments you want) who was very NICE and FUN. They were having $60 a glass tequila. Us? Umm...we were....not. But we were having a tequila flight, complete with Sangrita (the YUMMMMMMMMY tomato-citrus shot on the end).

Pods was happy to join in-

Which is a HUGE big deal, because prior to his 1st trip to the Ditch this past September, all I ever heard from him was, "I don't do Tequila. I am not a tequila guy." Ok...so you're not Sammy Hagar...but tequila is for EVERYONE!!! OLE! Then we ordered a sippin one....that was NOT $60....

ANd some crab tostadas- but no pix?! What was I thinking???? DUH again! Joan & Peter came in with Morgan- it was so great to see them all!! After a bit, Morgan went shopping out in Mexico and went for a boat ride, while we parents enjoyed the best of Mexico.

Soon it was time to head over to our dinner ADRs....

Amazingly, T&T were there WAITING FOR US! They were better at keeping our meet time than we were! I guess we know who should REALLY be in charge, huh? We said our good-byes....and that was it!

So great to see our friends from home in WDW....wish we could have seen more of them, but...we had a DISNEY CRUISE tomorrow to get to!!

Up next...our Chefs de France dinner- and will Tyler stand on his chair and sing "God Bless America" for a price...or not?
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #108
manntra
DIS Veteran

I am soooooo tardy to the party I just noticed your link in your signature on Monday and your TR has been the open on my desktop since then.... Have been busy at work with 2 days of snow so I finally read it this morning

Great costumes!! Love the shirts and I so wish I was able to catch up with you that night....I was eating at FF and then went over to Epcot for a bit then back to Kidani and we drank a bottle of wine by the firepit

Sooooooooo excited that you went on TOT....my favorite ride I absolutely love that picture!!! I have a TOT picture right here on my desk at work and most everyone has their hands up except this one guy who looks....well not too happy at all

I am very excited to be staying at the BC next May.....(again just missing each other ) I haven't been there in quite awhile and am looking forward to that private entrance aka IG again

Wooooooo hoooooo for adding on at BWV!!! So awesome...Here is some pixie dust for a smooth and fast process

Oooh was just about to post but then saw the pictures of your lovely rita and tequila flight Those tostadas are scrumptious!!! Such a fun, fun, fun, place......can't wait until MEK actually gets to order something in there

Okay I am ready for some cute French waiters now

Tracy
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #109
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
sorry I was so short this am Still excited to go in May
No worries! Great to hear your voice!! I'm still excited to go, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
I am soooooo tardy to the party I just noticed your link in your signature on Monday and your TR has been the open on my desktop since then.... Have been busy at work with 2 days of snow so I finally read it this morning

YUCK!! Snow! I'm very glad you're here...

Great costumes!! Love the shirts and I so wish I was able to catch up with you that night....I was eating at FF and then went over to Epcot for a bit then back to Kidani and we drank a bottle of wine by the firepit

Sounds like a wonderful night!

Sooooooooo excited that you went on TOT....my favorite ride I absolutely love that picture!!! I have a TOT picture right here on my desk at work and most everyone has their hands up except this one guy who looks....well not too happy at all

I guess that drop does something different for everyone....

I am very excited to be staying at the BC next May.....(again just missing each other ) I haven't been there in quite awhile and am looking forward to that private entrance aka IG again

Well...I'm very excited to be staying at BWV next May! IG ROCKS!

Wooooooo hoooooo for adding on at BWV!!! So awesome...Here is some pixie dust for a smooth and fast process

Thank-you- I am really excited about it...especially when I see the points for Standard view rooms.

Oooh was just about to post but then saw the pictures of your lovely rita and tequila flight Those tostadas are scrumptious!!! Such a fun, fun, fun, place......can't wait until MEK actually gets to order something in there

See...now that is just WRONG! She wastes all that time runnin' around all over the place & drinkin' fake ritas...IT IS TIME TO FOCUS, MEK!! Run thyself over to the IG from BCV and sprint TO THE DITCH for a REAL RITA!! Humph!

Okay I am ready for some cute French waiters now

Well, I hope you're patient...and you're reading someone else's TR....

Tracy
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #110
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Wow, you are moving so fast with this TR, I am really behind with comments.

MUST go to the Ditch next trip (and as an aside, I read the post where the name ditch comes from, it is such a term on the DIS now!). We did not make it there in January - well we were standing in front of it and really would have loved to tried it, but it was 11:15 am and we did not feel like drinking yet. Katharina will have to drink the tequila while I will get the orange maragarita. With all her food intolerances, clear spirits is the best form of alcoholic drink for her, it has the least stuff mixed into it which can make her feel unwell. Well, except for the alcohol itself of course...

How nice that you were to meet friends and enjoy some adult time while your sons were responsible enough to enjoy Epcot on their own. Did they like being on their own?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #111
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Loving th updates Ellen !!Now standing on a chair singing GOD BLEES AMERICA sounds like something I would do !!After all I LAP Danced with Piglet!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #112
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Yeah! Another update! And a Ditch one too!

Wouldn't it have been for all of you, we would not have known about the Ditch and missed out on some great drinks!

Great photos too! I love all the family and friends shots! Thanks!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #113
myelton01
Mouseketeer

Wow, I'm not the only behind one! Sorry, we went shopping today and cleaned last night. UGH!!! No more PLEASE!!!

I LOVE the pic from ToT!!!! That's a classic!!! Glad you all found a new spot to stop for snacks, they look amazing... That place would get me in trouble. Mexico looked like a blast, glad the boys behaved and you all had a good time!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #114
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Im with Pods no tequilla here... unless its in a flight type. lol

Oh man letting the kids go, as much as that sounds nice to have some quality adult time that still freaks me out and sadness me. Where did the time go where they can be left to venture alone.. (tear).

Rita's looked yummy i would say the crap tostadas do too but no pics.. oh wait just went back a trip report or 4 and found them.. ya they look as good as the last trip LOL.

cant wait to hear what is up with Tyler.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #115
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Wow, you are moving so fast with this TR, I am really behind with comments.

MUST go to the Ditch next trip (and as an aside, I read the post where the name ditch comes from, it is such a term on the DIS now!). We did not make it there in January - well we were standing in front of it and really would have loved to tried it, but it was 11:15 am and we did not feel like drinking yet. Katharina will have to drink the tequila while I will get the orange maragarita. With all her food intolerances, clear spirits is the best form of alcoholic drink for her, it has the least stuff mixed into it which can make her feel unwell. Well, except for the alcohol itself of course...

How nice that you were to meet friends and enjoy some adult time while your sons were responsible enough to enjoy Epcot on their own. Did they like being on their own?
Hey! Aren't you on Germany time? With the time difference it was like 10 pm- I say, it's 5:00 somewhere, drink up!!

I don't know if I'm even in the mood for tequila that early in the day...maybe you and I (and hopefully Katherina, too!) will have to walk over there for happy hour one evening next November, so you can properly be introduced to the Ditch! And I'm not sure, but I believe one of Bendy's Friendies (if not Oybolshoi herself) came up with the Ditch moniker. Those friendies are some VERY witty women!

And, the boys LOVED being on their own- when we are there with them I don't want to spend too much time without them, I love doing everything together- but they REALLY felt GREAT being allowed to do that- it was so good for their confidence. And they are old enough now, well, because of Tyler being 13. I would not let Timmy at 11 go off on his own, that's for sure!! They rode Test Track and came back- too bad it was so crowded, or else they could have done more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Loving th updates Ellen !!Now standing on a chair singing GOD BLEES AMERICA sounds like something I would do !!After all I LAP Danced with Piglet!!!!
Yes, yes it does. We'll have to keep that in mind. I think I may have found a new source of income for you, Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yeah! Another update! And a Ditch one too!

Wouldn't it have been for all of you, we would not have known about the Ditch and missed out on some great drinks!

Great photos too! I love all the family and friends shots! Thanks!
Hi Karin! I am sooo happy you made it to the Ditch! Isn't it excellent? What a fantastic venue. Do YOU have any idea who came up with "The Ditch?" Was it Brenda? Chelsea? I want to say they were the first ones writing about it, but I'm not sure....I think I'll go over there and ask....

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelton01 View Post
Wow, I'm not the only behind one! Sorry, we went shopping today and cleaned last night. UGH!!! No more PLEASE!!!

I LOVE the pic from ToT!!!! That's a classic!!! Glad you all found a new spot to stop for snacks, they look amazing... That place would get me in trouble. Mexico looked like a blast, glad the boys behaved and you all had a good time!
Ugh...laundry....my method is to let it pile up into one gargantuan heap after I've done about 20 loads, then fold it all in one night. It makes my hubby LOVE the DISboards even more, since this week all I have done is decorate for Christmas and write....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
Im with Pods no tequilla here... unless its in a flight type. lol

Oh man letting the kids go, as much as that sounds nice to have some quality adult time that still freaks me out and sadness me. Where did the time go where they can be left to venture alone.. (tear).

Rita's looked yummy i would say the crap tostadas do too but no pics.. oh wait just went back a trip report or 4 and found them.. ya they look as good as the last trip LOL.
cant wait to hear what is up with Tyler.
That made me first thing this morning when I read it. Yea, they look as good as the last trip....

FWIW, I have no pictures of CRAP tostadas, they don't sound good to me AT ALL!! But to each her own, Drea....
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #116
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hey! Aren't you on Germany time? With the time difference it was like 10 pm- I say, it's 5:00 somewhere, drink up!!

I don't know if I'm even in the mood for tequila that early in the day...maybe you and I (and hopefully Katherina, too!) will have to walk over there for happy hour one evening next November, so you can properly be introduced to the Ditch! And I'm not sure, but I believe one of Bendy's Friendies (if not Oybolshoi herself) came up with the Ditch moniker. Those friendies are some VERY witty women!

That's a great plan! I knew it was in a review and I found it, it was actually TDC Nala in this post.

I used to lurk on the Bendy Friendies thread, quite a fun place!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #117
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

That's a great plan! I knew it was in a review and I found it, it was actually TDC Nala in this post.

I used to lurk on the Bendy Friendies thread, quite a fun place!
WOW!!! You are GOOOOOOOOOD! It's like you had the post on speed dial!

TDC Nala writes fabulous reviews- I love her threads. Thanks for setting us all straight!

And I'm so glad you like the idea of a Ditch happy hour!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #118
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
WOW!!! You are GOOOOOOOOOD! It's like you had the post on speed dial!

TDC Nala writes fabulous reviews- I love her threads. Thanks for setting us all straight!

And I'm so glad you like the idea of a Ditch happy hour!
I love TDC Nala's reviews as well, I think this one introduced the very funny rating system.

I thought it was from oybolshoi's review from 2009, but she then mentioned in the post when she visits the ditch for the first time that it was TDC Nala's invention. And I knew that I had read about it in a dining review... So it was actually pretty easy to find.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #119
angmom
Earning My Ears

Hi! I know I am totally late but I am here to read along! I have been up to my elbows in cookie baking but can't wait to hear about your cruise adventures. When my son is a little older (translation - won't try and jump overboard) we are definitely going to be cruising with the mouse!

Previous WDW Trips: several childhood visits, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
angmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #120
podsnel

God Bless America, it's dinner at Chef's!

One of the things I was very excited about on this night was that we were going to have dinner at Chefs de France- I have only ever been ONCE, and that was with Pods over 20 years ago when i begged him to go. But that is not why I was so excited. I was excited because Tyler takes French in school. And tyler was going to order for us in French. Timmy is taking Italian- I have basically encouraged my children to take languages that will be useful in restaurants if we ever travel to Europe together. I can fudge my way through Italian- I did listen to the language learning CDs before I went to Italy 5 years ago, and besides, Italian is so much like Spanish, which is what I took in school). But, French? Such a BEAUTIFUL language, which I so horribly butcher (although I did take 1/2 a semster of French in college....but I dropped it- shame on ME!). French has all those crazy rules...do I pronounce the last letter? Is it silent? Ugh...so confusing. But Tyler...well, he has always gotten A's in French. Motivated by the promise of an annual Crepe Day in school, he has always enjoyed the class...I thought. Until today. When I realized that last year, he learned ABSOLUTELY ZERO in French, and lost all his confidence in the subject (the teacher was subsequently fired). So when I asked him to order for us, he refused. So sad! But...as you'll see....he recovered....

Our server, who was very sweet, handed us menus- and we asked for a kids one for Tim. Which was covered in that new bear, Duffy, that I would guess is the next big money maker for the Mouse.

The story of Duffy-

We all dug into the baguette and yummy butter-

And for an appetizer, we shared Tart a la Flamme Alsacienne

Everyone thought this was good.

Tyler decided to be entertaining for the camera-

And timmy was very cute while we waited for our meals-

Even though Tim had been handed the Duffy menu, he had made us all proud by foregoing chicken nuggets for the real thing-Demi poulet fermier roti Pommes rissolees et tomatoe grillee. It does look yummy, even if we can't pronounce it, doesn't it?

Tyler ordered (by pointing) Gratin de macaroni - Baked macaroni with cream and gruyere cheese

Both Pods and I got the same thing, Plat de cote de boeuf au cabernet avee pates - Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet wine with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms -

I make short ribs that are pretty good (Ok- even I will admit that they are AMAZING!! I am making them this week to send with Pods for tailgating at the Giants game on Sunday- everyone asks for the recipe. It is Harold Dieterle's (the season 1 winner) recipe from Top Chef- and lucky me, I got to thank him in person for it last summer)

I just never get tired of showing off that pic, do I? But I digress....this was very good, but I really, REALLY didn't like the pasta with it. Can't they just make some mashed potatoes?? The pasta is yuck! But the ribs (which are cut like flanken, which I found interesting) were very tender and scrumptious. The tequila we had enjoyed in the Ditch had made a lasting impression on me, so I did not try one of these-

I just ordered a glass of vouvray, which is one French word I can always pronounce, no doubt due to years of practice.

Cont'd next post-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: