Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #136
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

It’s My Red Party, I’ll Cry if I Want To

We last left off right after our tasty embarkation buffet lunch at Parrot Cay. We ambled around, enjoying the ship. We hung out in the lobby area for awhile, there were some surprise appearances downstairs and the kids had fun chasing after (and not catching) the characters.

We could only stay in the lobby for a limited amount of time, as the welcome announcements are very loud and hearing them over and over was giving us a bit of a headache. (Another one of those Cast Member ‘How Do They Do It?” moments!). So thinking it was nearing 1:30, we decided to head to Deck 6 to see if the rooms were open yet.

When we arrived at the Deck 6 Midship Elevator Lobby we were shocked to find throngs of people cramming the area waiting for the fire doors to open. In the past, they had simply used those queue divider ribbons to block off the hallways until the rooms were ready, however this time all of the fire doors were closed tight. We would find out later that the ship and crew were undergoing a Coast Guard inspection and that was causing things to run late.

The bad news was that the jam packed lobby was full of people and more than a bit claustrophobic. The good news is that it was full of all of our friends and cruise mates! (Deck 6 held the highest Dis population, we had joked in the meet thread that that was where the party would be onboard, and sure enough, there we all were, ready for it!) I was finally able run into Ellen here, as well! We enjoyed catching up about how we managed to miss each other at MNSSHP among other things. We all ended up waiting for what seemed to be forever (but what was really probably only about 15 minutes.) It was amusing to watch the elevators arrive and the doors open and the people inside see the packed lobby and decide to just go back up to Deck 9!

Like Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part:

After what seemed like forever, the doors opened and everybody filtered out to find their staterooms. We had to wait for the crowds to dissipate to get to our carry-on bags which we had left near the table and chairs there in the lobby earlier. As we walked the port hallway from Midship and approached Aft, we smelled it- the stink. We had been advised on the boards by the folks that had sailed in the two cruises prior to ours that after dry dock that there had been some sewer troubles, causing pervasive raw sewage odors and many reports of plumbing problems, from toilets not flushing to leaks and then some. We were hopeful that they had managed to fix the problem in the meantime, however as soon as we caught a pungent whiff our fears were realized. Luckily though, that day and that place (near the aft elevator lobby) was the worst we would experience it all cruise.

We arrived at our staterooms, two on the Port side Deck 6 Aft: 6132 and 6133. The location was great, very convenient and not too far from the lobby, but far enough to not have the noise problems. We saw this on the door and my reaction was “Gee,hun, you bought us DVC, Oh you shouldn’t have!” (I guess the previous occupants had left it there, as we are not DVC owners).

Inside room 6133, a Cat 11 Inside. Our last inside room was a sideways Cat 11, and we did prefer that setup to the normal room configuration. This would be Brendan and Savannah’s room, though so we would not find ourselves here much during the course of the week.

A step across the hall was our room, 6132, a Cat. 6 verandah room. It was as nice as we remembered. One thing that took us by surprise though was the ugly black fridge under the desk. At first we were put off by it, since it meant the little stool that is normally under the desk was now out in the middle of the room, and we are always hurting for space. We would grow to be fond of the little black fridge, cause it was just that-a real fridge not just a cooler. Ron really appreciated his beers being ice cold all week, so it ended up being a real bonus.

The fridge:

The Empty hole where it was supposed to be:

On cruises past, we had always received our luggage quickly, this time would not be the case (again delayed by the Coast Guard inspection). The room hosts and hostesses were working rather frantically in the hall and I was surprised to not be greeted by ours. As we were relaxing and getting used to our room, we heard a flurry of panicked sounding announcements and by the time I realized they were not the kind of announcements we would normally hear I was able to make out a call of “Red Party in Parrot Cay, Red Party in Parrot Cay”, and then immediately following a different voice: ”Attention! The Red Party is cancelled, repeat, the Red Party is cancelled, the fire is out”. Ron and I looked at each other surprised they would actually add the “fire is out” part at the end and give away their “code”. Who knows how close we were to becoming a Carnival Splendor (!) While it would make sense that a drill would be run during the Coast Guard inspection, it was certainly not announced as such, and frankly whoever was on the PA did sound panicky. So I don’t know if it was real or not, but I’m inclined to believe it was.

Our view:

The Castaway Club Gift:

We spent a few more minutes making ourselves at home. Our doors were in dire need of decoration. I was actually very disappointed that I had ended up printing out so few magnets, and some of the ones I really wanted printed out I didn’t end up printing. They still looked nice, though and we had so many compliments over the course of the week!

The kids' door (overview then closeups):

Our room: (overview, then closeups)

Our Fish Extender: (still going strong!!!)

Now that we felt somewhat settled we were ready to get the party started!!!

Up Next: A DISer's Life for Me!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 12-05-2010 at 09:01 AM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #137
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
I was kind of shocked that we didn't get one when we checked in....maybe because we didn't arrive until after 2:00 p.m.? I had to go directly to guest services to pick one up after we boarded.

We seemed to get the next days navigator kind of late each day too. On the Wonder, it was always waiting for us on the bed after turndown. This time, nothing at turndown (except the towel animal and the chocolate, of course!). At first we thought our room steward forgot it and Mike went down to guest services to get one. He was told they weren't ready. He got the impression they were having issues with them. It ended up being slid under our door later at night, well after turndown. Sort of frustrating, because it didn't leave us too much to time to review it before turning in for the night.
Really? Huh! No we didn't have that issue, we always had them at turndown. We did tend to have a later turndown though, usually it was while we were at dinner, so maybe that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah View Post
Awsome trip report. Looking forward to reading more!
Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you are enjoying it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowgirl View Post
Great trip report. We are travelling in January with a 7 month old and 2 1/2 year old. Should be interesting LOL! At least my ILs are coming, so we will have an extra set of hands.

I have a stroller that converts from a single to a double. I"ve been debating whether to bring the second seat or not, thinking perhaps the kids could alternate in the stroller. I'm bringing the second seat for SURE after reading your report.

Thanks so much! Yes, definitely bring the second seat, you won't be sorry! Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #138
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

I did not hear ANY of that about the red party!! I also had no idea about why we didn't get into our cabins until later-

Are you sure we were on the same cruise????

Oh yea....

Hmmm...I guess we were...
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #139
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Awesome, an update! Keep it coming!

The real fridge was definitely a blessing in disguise! It was so nice to get an ice cold beer without having to get a bucket of ice.

I wonder if they called the red party on the Carnival ship?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #140
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

LOVE the magnets. you did a great job! your hired for my next cruise!

How did you score the fridge, was it left from the DVC last occupents LOL Im with Ron, cold beer SCORE!

Btw take good notes (as i know you will when you are on the allure, were planning that for E's 20th yr in the Corps. 2013 hurry up LOL)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #141
myelton01
Mouseketeer

Awesome update! I can't believe they would announce that on the loud speakers! I would have flipped out! I'm assuming that things went alright though since you are all back and writing your TR's Can't wait for more.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #142
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Fantastic door decorating!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #143
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I did not hear ANY of that about the red party!! I also had no idea about why we didn't get into our cabins until later-
Yeah we heard about it from several CM's, it really affected the turnover time that day.

Quote:
Are you sure we were on the same cruise????

Oh yea....

Hmmm...I guess we were...
LMAO!!! I like your pic better!!! Look at that rudolph red nose and face
I have....drink much?!?!? LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
Awesome, an update! Keep it coming!

The real fridge was definitely a blessing in disguise! It was so nice to get an ice cold beer without having to get a bucket of ice.

I wonder if they called the red party on the Carnival ship?
Actually, according to Carnival Cruise Director John Heald's amazingly detailed blog entries on the Splendor Fire, they use the phrase "Alpha Team".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
LOVE the magnets. you did a great job! your hired for my next cruise!
Hey, THANKS! Can you tell the ones I made myself? I admit I totally borrowed that one from the WDW Radio cruise, what you can't see is that I had caricature heads of all of us made by Tebi on the Creative Disigns board and shopped all of our heads in the boat there. All of my magnets were straight up cardstock too, I cheaped out. They held up really well though!!!

Quote:
How did you score the fridge, was it left from the DVC last occupents LOL Im with Ron, cold beer SCORE!
Yeah it was awesome!!!

Quote:
Btw take good notes (as i know you will when you are on the allure, were planning that for E's 20th yr in the Corps. 2013 hurry up LOL)
Oh you bet, as usual there will be a full TR and video afterward. My aunt the lucky duck is going on the inaugural this weekend!!! AND it cost her all of $1 b/c she bought it with her RCCL points. Vomit inducing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelton01 View Post
Awesome update! I can't believe they would announce that on the loud speakers! I would have flipped out! I'm assuming that things went alright though since you are all back and writing your TR's Can't wait for more.
Thanks! Oh yes, it was over as soon as it began. Good thing, too! I don't care for Spam or Pop Tarts much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Fantastic door decorating!
Thank you so much!!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #144
TheThomsLuvDisney
DIS Veteran

Great update, Great doors!!!!

DCL Feb 2014 Fantasy Eastern~SSR
DCL Feb 2013 Fantasy Western~BLT
Aulani April 2012
DCL Feb 2011 Dream B2B~AKL
DCL Jan 2010 Magical Eastern~CBR
DCL Jan 2008 Magical Western~SSR
DCL Jan 2006 Magical Western~POP
DCL Jan 2005 Magical Eastern~WL
DCL Jan 1999 7 Day Land/Sea~POFQ
TheThomsLuvDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #145
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Oh you bet, as usual there will be a full TR and video afterward. My aunt the lucky duck is going on the inaugural this weekend!!! AND it cost her all of $1 b/c she bought it with her RCCL points. Vomit inducing!!!
I wouldnt expect anything less from ya.
Hmm guessing she has the RCCL visa for points.. that is making me rethink to get it too LOL
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #146
nenner1

A DISer's Life For Me!

After getting our staterooms all settled, the kids changed into their bathing suits and we headed up to the Holy Grail- The Mickey Pool! Sarah, being an accomplished potty trainer, could now enjoy it too!

I am happy to report we had no experience with UFO’s (unidentified floating objects) this cruise!!! That’s right- NONE! We did not experience the Mickey Pool closed once the entire week (and we would find ourselves there often!) Our last cruise it seemed like it was evacuated constantly for scrubdown!

The first one of these for the day! It’s time for me to catch up on my frozen drink drinkin’ if you know what I’m saying! (This was a DOTD- a Malibu Bay Breeze)

Before we knew it, it was time to head downstairs to the Promenade Lounge for our Dis Meet. I tried to arrive a little early, however I think it was 3PM on the dot when I arrived. I coordinated the group lanyards so I had 200 lanyards to hand out. As soon as I got everything arranged, a massive line of Diser’s queued up. At first I thought I could handle the distribution easily myself, however handing out that many of anything is no simple task. I was grateful for the offer and accepteed when fellow cruiser Nicole helped me get them all passed out.

A note on lanyards, we were inspired to do this from the last cruise we were on, the Double Dip Delight in ’08. The lanyards are an awesome conversation piece and allow you to easily identify members of your meet group at a glance. And for those of us who are bad (um…like REALLY BAD) with names like me, it can be a lifesaver!! They are also pretty convenient for holding KTTW cards. I do have to say though that I underestimated the amount of work it takes to undertake a project like that. I would definitely recommend that if you are coordinating something like this that costs money –that instead of having everybody “pay for their own”, instead take a committee of 10, 20, however many volunteers and have them split the cost evenly. It would have been so much easier for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which being the time saved cashing, moving, tracking, and balancing all the payments. When you are dealing with items like custom lanyards that are priced by quantity, the price varies on the amount ordered and dropouts can leave you holding the bag later. Luckily this group was awesome and we had no issues like that (except when a couple of folks had to cancel last minute, but those were issues that couldn’t have been avoided). Also we had built in a buffer to the per-item cost to ensure that the lanyards would remain fully funded, and those overages greatly helped finance our private Dis Trick or Treat event, which I’ll talk more about that in a later installment.
Here is an example of how the lanyards turned out. They were designed by me and purchased through Lanyard Lab, a company I would recommend working with wholeheartedly!!! I also designed, printed, and assembled the tags myself. I think they came out pretty cool, and it seemed like everyone in our group really liked them too!!!

Our Lanyards:

A closer look at mine:

A look at a large quantity of them prior to printing the tags:

Here are some snapshots of everyone chit chatting away at the meet. If you look closely you may see some familiar faces in here. And if not, you will probably recognize all these folks by the end of the TR, because you will see their pictures a lot. All of our excursions we did this trip were among the amazing company of our new Dis friends. I can’t really say enough about this fantastic group of people, and this wonderful website that brought us all together and helped us experience and enjoy our cruise in a way you just can’t do on any other cruise line, or with any other group. Man, I love the Dis!!!!!!

Pretty much the entire Dis Meet for me was spent doling out the lanyards and my only regret was that I was a little harried and did not have the time to really chat with or enjoy anyone’s company much (LOL, except Nicole!), but it was great to at least have the opportunity to at least meet everyone once that way!

At 3:30 we moved out to the atrium to assemble for our group photo. My big mouth came in handy here. Ha ha! Except that I was in the front with Judy and a few others arranging folks when they started snapping away shots, and there was nowhere to go, so I had to run to the Midship stairs and up to deck 4 and back down the Atrium staircase to get in the shot. Several of the early frames show me running down the stairs! Too funny! Due to that though, our family was split up for the photo as well. You can find my kids near Helmsman Mickey’s head and integrated into Ellen’s family (LOL), while Ron and Sarah made their way over by me, near the top of the staircase on the right.

It really turned out awesome, didn’t it?

After a little bit more chit chat, we finally disbanded to make our way to the mandatory muster drill. We were lucky to know ahead of time that our muster station would be station T, inside Animator’s Palate (thanks to the muster station thread from the main board). We were so happy to finally be comfortable for a muster drill. Squeezing together like sardines on the hot sweaty deck was the pits compared to this, where we could sit comfortably in A/C, and even be entertained by the CM’s!

The drill was over after about 15-20 minutes, and another nice thing they did was allow those that needed assistance, the disabled, elderly, and very small children exit first, prior to the mass dismissal. Because we had Sarah, we were included. I don’t recall this happening up on Deck 4, and Sarah was a tiny baby the last cruise. Kudos for that Disney, we appreciated it!

We ditched our vests quickly and got our necessary equipment for the sailaway party! Necessary equipment, you ask? Well, Mickey gloves to wave farewell to Florida with, of course!!!

Coming Next: Bom Bom Bom Bom Bom Boooooom!*

*(OK Loyal readers and the very observant may have been noticed that I have been touting this segment as “next” for several installments now. Sorry about that, it is because I am limited to number of pictures in a segment and it just took a bit longer to get there than I thought! This time I promise that is the next installment and then you will finally know what that is all about!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #147
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #148
akluss
Mouseketeer

You are a great trip report writer and photographer, I really feel like I am there with you. The lanyards look great too, it was so nice of you to do that for your group. Looking forward to more, Karyn
akluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #149
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
Great update, Great doors!!!!
Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
I wouldnt expect anything less from ya.
Hmm guessing she has the RCCL visa for points.. that is making me rethink to get it too LOL
Well, yes she does have the RCCL Visa. But I feel like I should add the disclaimer that they use it for EVERYTHANG and they are loaded. They just did a big renovation and probably paid about $50K and I'm sure it went on the card (and then got paid off). My uncle buys his vette parts with it and his race car stuff too (he's a driver) so normal reasonable people would not be able to rack up the rewards like they do. They get free cruises like every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluss View Post
You are a great trip report writer and photographer, I really feel like I am there with you. The lanyards look great too, it was so nice of you to do that for your group. Looking forward to more, Karyn
Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you are enjoying it! It certainly was my pleasure to do the lanyards. It was so cool seeing them everywhere and thinking "Hey I did that!"

Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #150
BettyBeBop
Mouseketeer

LOVE the group picture!! What a wonderfully LARGE group!! And your lanyards are amazing!! You did a great job!

BettyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: