Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
I need a few Christmas gift ideas for my son who will be leaving for basic training in January. We have a list that the army supplied of things to bring, stuff like socks and underwear etc..., but that isn't much of a gift. I thought a watch, but have no idea what kind, or if he would be allowed to wear it or even keep it during basic.

Any suggestions?
A phone card. My nephew did basic a couple of years ago, and he told us that he was allowed to take almost nothing with him. And while at basic, any yummy goodies they got in the mail were taken by the CO and passed out among everyone, just FYI.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

He is going to be pretty restricted to his base/barricks/chow hall for the time being.

You can tell around here (Ft. Benning) that a bunch of BT's have just graduated as there are huge groups out and about the last few weekends.

Benning has a facebook page for the families to keep connected, not really with their soldier specifically, but with what is going on with the units. Some of the units have their own individual pages, where photos and news are posted. You might want to check to see if Ft. Jackson has one as well as his unit.
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

My brother is at Fort Jackson right now. As others have said, they are very limited in personal items. But write lots of letters!!! He LOVES getting letters. He is even sending us the name of a person in his group who never gets mail, so we'll write him/her as well. Those letters are their connection during basic, so that would be my suggestion.
DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Sherrypooh
Wishing I was in my happy place

Not to highjack thread by my son is in ft benning right now graduating on the 10th! I can't wait to see him.. I also am part of the benning web page and his units page. It has been an amazing journey with my son. Thanks to all the Benning families...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
He is going to be pretty restricted to his base/barricks/chow hall for the time being.

You can tell around here (Ft. Benning) that a bunch of BT's have just graduated as there are huge groups out and about the last few weekends.

Benning has a facebook page for the families to keep connected, not really with their soldier specifically, but with what is going on with the units. Some of the units have their own individual pages, where photos and news are posted. You might want to check to see if Ft. Jackson has one as well as his unit.

Caught the Magic on my first trip in 1980 and can't get enough!
Sherrypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
PrincessSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrypooh View Post
Not to highjack thread by my son is in ft benning right now graduating on the 10th! I can't wait to see him.. I also am part of the benning web page and his units page. It has been an amazing journey with my son. Thanks to all the Benning families...
First of all, Congratulations to your son. Are they graduating at the new museum? If so, make sure to take the time for a tour, it will make your experience more memorable.

We love it, but I was born and raised in the area, my mom worked Civil Service for more than 32 years at Benning, I have spent more than my fair share of time out there over the years and I met my DH, through friends stationed there.

If you need to know anything, let me know, I will be more than happy to help out other military families (sounds strange, DH is going back active to his reserve unit after a 5 year hiatus).

Suzanne
Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Awww, congratulations to your son. I can only imagine how proud you are of him! Enjoy every moment together on his graduation day and take lots of pictures.

I thank everyone for the helpful hints. I'm going to give him things (gift cards etc...) that he can use before he leaves. I figure he'll want to see as many friends possible before he goes, so restaurant and movie gift cards should fill the bill. That way he can treat everyone.

I'll stick an address book in his stocking, plus the black sharpies and phone card.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #22
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

My mother asked me if my son will be able to carry a wallet while in basic. Does anyone know if he can?
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Congrats to your son! We are stationed at Ft Benning right now - just got here this summer. Be sure to come down early enough or stay long enough to tour the Infantry museum while you are here and take your DS to Ranger Joe's (a popular local hangout for the soldiers to get new gear).

Are you flying in or driving?

Quote:
First of all, Congratulations to your son. Are they graduating at the new museum? If so, make sure to take the time for a tour, it will make your experience more memorable.

We love it, but I was born and raised in the area, my mom worked Civil Service for more than 32 years at Benning, I have spent more than my fair share of time out there over the years and I met my DH, through friends stationed there.

If you need to know anything, let me know, I will be more than happy to help out other military families (sounds strange, DH is going back active to his reserve unit after a 5 year hiatus).

Suzanne
Hi, Neighbor! I didn't realize your DH was going back active. You'll have to fill me in on FB!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

Quote:
He is going into the army, will be doing basic at Fort Jackson. From the sound of it, looks like he'll get more "before he leaves" things.

He got the list of what to take, so I know not to deviate from that. I guess I'll get him a cheap Casio or Timex watch. When he graduates basic my plan is to give him a laptop, so I guess that will make up for a socks and undies Christmas. I like the idea of stamps and writing supplies. Is there a certain type of paper the can or can't bring? The phone cards? I can get those at the post office right (dumb question, but I've never bought a phone card ).

Surfergirl602, wouldn't that be funny if my son gets your husband in basic!
Aww, we are on the other side of the country. He'll be okay at Jackson though - they don't call it "Relaxin' Jackson" for nothing!!! lol
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #25
surfergirl602

Quote:
My mother asked me if my son will be able to carry a wallet while in basic. Does anyone know if he can?
It all really depends on the unit. He'll probably just have to leave it locked up in his wall locker at certain times.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #26
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post
Congrats to your son! We are stationed at Ft Benning right now - just got here this summer. Be sure to come down early enough or stay long enough to tour the Infantry museum while you are here and take your DS to Ranger Joe's (a popular local hangout for the soldiers to get new gear).

Hi, Neighbor! I didn't realize your DH was going back active. You'll have to fill me in on FB!

LOL at Ranger Joe's. It's more than a popular hang out - it's like... The Smithsonian of Benning.

My Author Blog!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
PrincessSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post

He goes to Atlanta for MEPS on Tuesday afternoon and in-processes on Wednesday (our 9th Anniversary). He will be active Reserve with the same unit he was in before the 718th Engineers

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
LOL at Ranger Joe's. It's more than a popular hang out - it's like... The Smithsonian of Benning.

They have updated and expanded recently and it really is a nice place. They even have a coffee bar, Cup O Joe's.

Suzanne
Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
The new location is great - much more organized but I did love the old location (fond memories from sending my college sweetheart off to Ranger school many moons ago and hanging out at Ranger Joe's with him).

Quote:
He goes to Atlanta for MEPS on Tuesday afternoon and in-processes on Wednesday (our 9th Anniversary). He will be active Reserve with the same unit he was in before the 718th Engineers

They have updated and expanded recently and it really is a nice place. They even have a coffee bar, Cup O Joe's.

Suzanne
Tell him Good Luck! Happy Anniversary! Ours is the 13th and B is TDY (of course). Gotta love the Army. Sigh...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: