Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,470
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
Thank you for all your comments. This thread has been very helpful as my Mom wants an ereader for Christmas. Does anyone know the difference between a Nook and a Kindle and which one is better?
Well, I can tell you some of the differences, but "better" or not is pretty subjective, depending on what you want and how your Mom plans to use the eReader.

Kindle is linked to Amazon.com. You're meant to buy your books through Amazon's book store. Nook is Barnes & Noble. You're meant to buy books through B&N's book store. If you have a Nook, and go into a brick & mortar B&N, you can preview pretty much any book available while you're in there.

There are 2 Nooks. One is eInk, like the Kindle, and has a color touch-screen across the bottom of it that you use to navigate through your library and through options & settings. The brand-new Nook is a full-color, touch-screen LCD eReader, so the technology is actually the same as the iPad's back-lit computer screen. I found it cool, since you can adjust the font and the contrast pretty dramatically, but I only looked at it for a little bit, and don't know if it's any easier to read on long-term than the iPad is (which is a pain). The Nook is a lot heavier than the Kindle, though.

The Kindles are all eInk (no back-light, great contrast, easy to read). You navigate through your library and options/settings using buttons.

Both the Kindle and the Nook have versions that are WiFi only or 3G.

Here's an article that discusses the differences between the Kindle, Nook & iPad as an eReader device.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive
 
EDuke98080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts
Posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Well, I can tell you some of the differences, but "better" or not is pretty subjective, depending on what you want and how your Mom plans to use the eReader.

Kindle is linked to Amazon.com. You're meant to buy your books through Amazon's book store. Nook is Barnes & Noble. You're meant to buy books through B&N's book store. If you have a Nook, and go into a brick & mortar B&N, you can preview pretty much any book available while you're in there.

There are 2 Nooks. One is eInk, like the Kindle, and has a color touch-screen across the bottom of it that you use to navigate through your library and through options & settings. The brand-new Nook is a full-color, touch-screen LCD eReader, so the technology is actually the same as the iPad's back-lit computer screen. I found it cool, since you can adjust the font and the contrast pretty dramatically, but I only looked at it for a little bit, and don't know if it's any easier to read on long-term than the iPad is (which is a pain). The Nook is a lot heavier than the Kindle, though.

The Kindles are all eInk (no back-light, great contrast, easy to read). You navigate through your library and options/settings using buttons.

Both the Kindle and the Nook have versions that are WiFi only or 3G.

Here's an article that discusses the differences between the Kindle, Nook & iPad as an eReader device.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

Sayhello
Thanks so much! I can't wait to check out that link.
__________________


Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
jharrowell
Disney Phreak
 
jharrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 688

I know I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd comment on the iPad vs Kindle\e-reader debate.

If you absolutely are only going to read books and don't need color then a classic ebook reader that uses e-ink technology is a no-brainer. I'd go for the Kindle in a blink.

However if you think there is any chance that either color might be needed or that it could me used for more than reading then an iPad hands down.

For instance. I'm a writer (I won't say author till I get someone to pay me money for it ) and I use my pad for that with an Apple mini bluetooth keyboard. I watch moves on it, I play games, I read books and comics, I view pictures, I grab my emails, organise my calendar, and browse the net.

In fact, I'm writing his on my Pad now!

So, there's my two cents. Probably a bit late, but hey, just like christmas it's the thought that counts.
__________________
Two last minute flights to Orlando, £676.00.
Two tickets to the NASA causeway, $400.00.
Watching a shuttle launch live? Priceless




Follow my twitters for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at:
http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen
jharrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
MM32830
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Commute between Central Florida and Maine
Posts: 564

Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial question about whether to get an iPad or a Kindle.

I couldn't decide so I bought both!

I bought a Kindle for DW for Christmas and I bought an iPad for me (for Christmas, of course). I was going to wait until iPad2 came out next year but the Apple store had the current iPad on sale Friday morning. I've never seen the iPad on sale before, let alone on sale by Apple! Accessories were on sale, too. I got the Apple case for it as well as the camera connection kit (great way to get photos from SD card to the iPad).

So, come Christmas day we'll compare the Kindle to the iPad and DW will get whatever she wants. I may end up waiting for iPad2 after all!

Again, thanks for all the input!




__________________
Armand
MM32830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,470
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM32830 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial question about whether to get an iPad or a Kindle.

I couldn't decide so I bought both!

I bought a Kindle for DW for Christmas and I bought an iPad for me (for Christmas, of course). I was going to wait until iPad2 came out next year but the Apple store had the current iPad on sale Friday morning. I've never seen the iPad on sale before, let alone on sale by Apple! Accessories were on sale, too. I got the Apple case for it as well as the camera connection kit (great way to get photos from SD card to the iPad).

So, come Christmas day we'll compare the Kindle to the iPad and DW will get whatever she wants. I may end up waiting for iPad2 after all!

Again, thanks for all the input!
_________________
Armand
Congrats! I have to tell you, the camera connector is great! It works really well. You get 2 connectors; one for an SD card and one for USB to the camera. It *SAVED* my vacation, when, on the LAST night of my 11-night cruise, the memory card on my camera gave up the ghost! But, fortunately, I'd been using the connector to download all my photos to my iPad! So I had them all but 2 days' worth. Worth EVERY PENNY and then some. I've also heard, although I haven't confirmed it yet, that you can use the USB one to plug in other USB devices, such as a keyboard.

Enjoy!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #21
MM32830
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Commute between Central Florida and Maine
Posts: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Congrats! I have to tell you, the camera connector is great! It works really well. You get 2 connectors; one for an SD card and one for USB to the camera. I've also heard, although I haven't confirmed it yet, that you can use the USB one to plug in other USB devices, such as a keyboard.

Enjoy!

Sayhello
You are correct. A USB keyboard works well with the USB connector from the camera connection kit. Only thing that might throw you for a loop is when you first connect the keyboard, you'll get a message that the device is not supported. Just click through the message. The keyboard will work fine.

USB (flash) drives also work well but will probably give you the same error message.

If you have an iPhone, you can also connect the iPhone to the iPad and transfer photos.

The camera connection kit is probably one of the best accessories for the iPad.




____________________
Armand
MM32830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #22
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,470
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM32830 View Post
You are correct. A USB keyboard works well with the USB connector from the camera connection kit. Only thing that might throw you for a loop is when you first connect the keyboard, you'll get a message that the device is not supported. Just click through the message. The keyboard will work fine.

USB (flash) drives also work well but will probably give you the same error message.

If you have an iPhone, you can also connect the iPhone to the iPad and transfer photos.

The camera connection kit is probably one of the best accessories for the iPad.Armand
Cool. Thanks!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: