Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Are we there yet? Can we eat yet? YES to both!

Hello All!

We are just back from our Disney Family Vacation! We had a great time and can’t wait to go back, but I’m also happy to be home, so I can get this trip report started!

The Cast:

Me and my DH, Chris.

And my stepson, Jacob, and his girlfriend Deshea, who is so much a part of our family. Just a warning, its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a pic of Jacob when he's not making a stupid face.

We headed out at about 12:50pm on Friday, 11/19. We had A LOT of luggage! But finally we got it all in the car, loaded the kids up, locked up the house, and hit the road!

An hour after leaving home, we hit Mississippi, the kids were already asleep. Lightweights.

An hour later, we hit Alabama, and had to drive thru the Mobile tunnel. This is the pic I took to avoid hyperventilating. I HATE TUNNELS.

We made it through, the tunnel did NOT collapse on me. An hour-ish after that..... FLORIDA! Somehow I missed the sign.

Two observations about the Florida part of I-10 - IT'S LONG and the price of gas goes up and up and up. We filled up at home at $2.52, when we stopped in Lake City (thanks Longing2batDisney!), the prices were up near $3.00.

We drove till about 9:30, then stopped at a random Days Inn, that looked clean and cheap.

Next up, our Disney World Arrival!!!
November 2008 - Caribbean Beach
November 2010 - Caribbean Beach
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Halloween 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 - First Deluxe Stay - Beach Club!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
KarBear
DIS Veteran

Ok, ready to read.......give us more.....

Have a Magical Day!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Joining in too. I don't mind tunnels, but I hate LONG bridges over water.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!! Welcome back home!
can't wait to hear about all the fun...

last time we went to FL I asked DH why the gas prices were on the increase (ever notice it's cheaper in MS)...Danny claims it is because they have to pump in ALL fuel to the state from LA & MS since FL does not want to be part of the oil industry--made sense when he explained it

lucky for us he used his work truck and has a fuel tank on the back so that was one expense we did not have to add to the trip; but, he said next trip we are going in the car

and I have to agree the I10 stretch is sooooooo boring...only place worse for me has been Texas on the way to CO THAT IS BORING!!

great start and intro...and I love the color of your hair!
Connie
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
20thingamabobs
DIS Veteran

I'm here! So glad you had a fun trip, I can't wait to hear all about it! I leave for Disney in two days but I'll be back to get caught up as soon as I get back!
Past Trips:Summer '87: Don't know the details - I was one..., Summer '90: CBR, Summer '95: Dixie Landings, Summer '00: Dixie Landings, Summer '03: AKL, August '05: Offsite, March '07: POR, March '08: POFQ, May '08: SSR, October '08: ASSp, March '09: POFQ, April '10: Poly, June '10: ASMo, November/December '10: CSR, January '11: BLT, March '11: Offsite/Disney Dream/Boardwalk, May '11: AKL-Kidani, DL Sept '12: Offsite, Sept/Oct '11: ASMu, Dec '11: Offsite, WDW Jan '12: Caribbean Beach , DL Jan '12: Offsite, Feb '12: Beach Club , May '12: AKL, June '12: 1 Day Disneymoon, Sept '12: offsite, Oct '12: Pop, Dec '12: Offsite, DL Jan '13: GC, Feb '13: PO-R
Upcoming Trips:WDW July '13, DL Sept '13: GC

Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
BelleTinkMom
DIS Veteran

Welcome Home! Can't wait to hear about your trip.
I am nuts....for bringing the in-laws-a May/June 2011 TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post41825167
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarBear View Post
Ok, ready to read.......give us more.....
All I need is my pc & photobucket to cooperate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Joining in too. I don't mind tunnels, but I hate LONG bridges over water.
Oh boy. The causeway over Lake Ponchartrain, 27 miles of water... I hate them too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
I'm here!!! Welcome back home!
can't wait to hear about all the fun...

last time we went to FL I asked DH why the gas prices were on the increase (ever notice it's cheaper in MS)...Danny claims it is because they have to pump in ALL fuel to the state from LA & MS since FL does not want to be part of the oil industry--made sense when he explained it

lucky for us he used his work truck and has a fuel tank on the back so that was one expense we did not have to add to the trip; but, he said next trip we are going in the car

and I have to agree the I10 stretch is sooooooo boring...only place worse for me has been Texas on the way to CO THAT IS BORING!!

great start and intro...and I love the color of your hair!
Connie
Glad you're here! I thought we would NEVER get to the turn south! And LUCKY for the gas tank! If you went right now, at 18mpg, it would cost about $250.00! And thanks, I had it done friday at six am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thingamabobs View Post
I'm here! So glad you had a fun trip, I can't wait to hear all about it! I leave for Disney in two days but I'll be back to get caught up as soon as I get back!
Lucky you! Cant wait to read YOUR TR too! Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleTinkMom View Post
Welcome Home! Can't wait to hear about your trip.
Thanks and Welcome!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Arrival Day!

Saturday morning we were up and on the road by 5:30. We voted not to stop for breakfast and wait for Main Street Bakery!

We reached Disney at about 8:30. Apparently we came in the back way? Because we did not go through "THE GATE". I have to say I was VERY disappointed. The GPS got confused once we were on property, so we drove around alot until we came across THIS..

We passed it up the first time, and had to go down and make a u-turn. Everyone was alert and snapping pics by this time, and it seemed the red lights were an eternity. (They were) We drove around a bit, me and Deshea shrieking at each new sign that would take us closer to our home for the week.. Finally, we saw THIS!

I love this resort. Chris and I upgraded to CB from ASM on our 2008 trip when an unexpected bonus came in right before we left. We totally fell in love with the peacefulness (is that a word?) of the resort, and yes, it is very large and spread out, but I feel that it adds to the serenity, because the guests aren’t all in one small area. Some random resort pics.

Check in was very smooth. We had used online check-in, and there was only one person in front of us in line. I was a bit disappointed, this is where we had our first CM interaction, and I was flying high about finally arriving and she was… just not into it. I barely got a smile out of her. She did NOT get one of our handmade cast member appreciation cards!

There were A LOT of people checking out, and waiting for Magical Express back to the airport. You could tell by all the sad faces.

They put us in Trinidad North, Room 3347, which isn’t a bad location. However, I felt the walk from Jamaica 45 in 2008 was much nicer, and maybe even closer. We were on the second floor, which was one of my requests, and were literally STEPS from the bus stop. That more than made up for the distance to OPR. I think next time though, I will save my money and not go with preferred, and request Jamaica again.

So, we got our room keys and welcome package, etc. We got back in the car, and drove around to our building’s parking lot. There we left the car and went to the bus stop for our first Disney Bus Ride! Here we are at the bus stop, headed for our first park, MAGIC KINGDOM! We thought since this was Jacob’s first time, that MK would make the biggest “Wow!!!!”

First up on the agenda: Cinnamon Rolls!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Am I the first? Woohoo. Ih wait, I now see I'm not. I guess I should've read before posting. LOL!
First or otherwise, I'm glad you're joining in!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
KatMark
DIS Veteran

You got some very nice pictures of the CBR and the pool.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
You got some very nice pictures of the CBR and the pool.
Thanks! I got some pretty good evening ones too. I wasn't able to take as many pics as I wanted, bc the little hatch on my camera that holds the battery in, is going out, and so my battery would fall out of the camera alot.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I know exactly what you mean when you say that I-10 seems to go on forever and ever! I hate that stretch of the drive to WDW.

Too bad you didn't get to go under the WDW archway when you finally arrived at Disney. It's one of the best sights ever. But, at least you still felt the excitement by watching for the CBR signs.

Speaking of the CBR, we've never stayed in Trinidad North....only Martinique and Jamaica.

Looking forward to reading more!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I know exactly what you mean when you say that I-10 seems to go on forever and ever! I hate that stretch of the drive to WDW.

Too bad you didn't get to go under the WDW archway when you finally arrived at Disney. It's one of the best sights ever. But, at least you still felt the excitement by watching for the CBR signs.

Speaking of the CBR, we've never stayed in Trinidad North....only Martinique and Jamaica.

Looking forward to reading more!

That magical archway actually comes up on later on in this TR... Keep an eye out..!!

I did request Martinique, but you know how that goes!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAdisneymom View Post
, bc the little hatch on my camera that holds the battery in, is going out, and so my battery would fall out of the camera alot.
too funny! mine is doing the same thing (Ashton dropped my camera, last year) we put a piece of black electrical tape to hold it close

great pictures! we went in the back way too! but we went under one of the signs?!? your CBR make me want to book it instead of POFQ... decisions...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: