Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
maroo
DIS Veteran

Email and Facebook hacked. Help!

Ok...

Someone or some thing has hacked my hotmail account and not only sent a fake message to everyone asking for money - but also changed my password!

I was able to get on Facebook until this afternoon and now that has been hacked and the password changed as well.

I think the first thing I have to do is get my meal back since all FB wants to do is send me a new password via my email account.

What are they after? What will they try next?

However - I had an old work email on as my alternate email for hotmail and don't have access to it any more...

So now what do I do? Who can I call at hotmail? Any suggestions?
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Apparently there's a way to reset your password using your location and the security question you should have supplied when you created the account. There's some explanation here:

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/ti...l-password.php

There's also some suggestions on this page, including some phone numbers. Don't know if any of them will work, but it's probably worth trying.

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/ti...nformation.php

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I'm so sorry this happened to you. A few years ago someone hacked my eBay, mail AND Paypal accounts. They all had the same password. I still have no idea how they were hacked, but it was really frustrating and scary. They made a bunch of bids on stuff on eBay but I was able to straighten everything out.

Sayhello is right - you should be able to get back into your email account by resetting the password via security questions. That's how I got back into mine. Then it will be easy to get back into Facebook. I don't know if your passwords for those match, but if they did I recommend you make them different.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
maroo
DIS Veteran

Thank you both so much for your responses!

I had forgotten about even checking paypal!!

But I went ahead and did that today and changed that password.

I have gone through both FB and Hotmail's steps for resetting my password. Hotmail wants to send the new one to my old work address...which won't work...so I have sent them an email. They said it would take up to 5 days to get that resolved...

Beginning Monday, I will start using my work email address for work stuff...I had just kept it all in one account and used folders to separate stuff...but no more once Monday gets here.

Don't know what to do with my FB account. They won't really help me until have my old email account back.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Blumonkeyboy
Manah Manah

Do you have an IOS device? If your Ipod/ Ipad is still ogged in to Facebook, or has the Email set up with that app, go in and change your password with that. You can still access mail with your app, and Facebook should be functioning.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I had that happen a few months ago...

I had to change everything - including email addresses...

run a malware scan www.malewarebites.com

and switch to Gmail...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumonkeyboy View Post
Do you have an IOS device? If your Ipod/ Ipad is still ogged in to Facebook, or has the Email set up with that app, go in and change your password with that. You can still access mail with your app, and Facebook should be functioning.
I tried to log on FB from my iPhone app and it just kicked me off yesterday... that is when I knew something was really wrong, really...it would not let me back on.

I am afraid I am going to have to start over.

I do already have a Gmail account, though!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I had that happen to me a few years ago and it was called a back-door virus. It took out my email, myspace, erased my entire facebook, and kept changing passwords as well. I had to have my entire computer reformatted and now I use Gmail instead of yahoo. Not that it can't happen with any email but I haven't had a problem since and had to get a new facebook account. All my passwords are all different now and I save them both on my computer and print them/update them from time to time when they need changed. I also have 2 gmail email accounts, one for facebook/junk type mail and another for business/work type mail.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
I had that happen to me a few years ago and it was called a back-door virus. It took out my email, myspace, erased my entire facebook, and kept changing passwords as well. I had to have my entire computer reformatted and now I use Gmail instead of yahoo. Not that it can't happen with any email but I haven't had a problem since and had to get a new facebook account. All my passwords are all different now and I save them both on my computer and print them/update them from time to time when they need changed. I also have 2 gmail email accounts, one for facebook/junk type mail and another for business/work type mail.
So far Hotmail has said that I did not pass their "validation criteria" to get my old email address unlocked. It baffles me how someone can hack into an account and have an easier job getting in it than I do as the legitimate account holder.

I am hoping I can get it open in the next day or so...

I have definitely switched emails to have my work stuff go to our work internal address system and my personal emails will start going to gmail - and I made two accounts there so that I can use one to recover the other. Good grief!

The thing that makes me really mad about the FB is that I have a lot of friends on there? And I have games that I play and even got www.facebook.com/maroo as my address...which is now obviously "taken" by someone pretending to be me.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
So far Hotmail has said that I did not pass their "validation criteria" to get my old email address unlocked. It baffles me how someone can hack into an account and have an easier job getting in it than I do as the legitimate account holder.

I am hoping I can get it open in the next day or so...

I have definitely switched emails to have my work stuff go to our work internal address system and my personal emails will start going to gmail - and I made two accounts there so that I can use one to recover the other. Good grief!

The thing that makes me really mad about the FB is that I have a lot of friends on there? And I have games that I play and even got www.facebook.com/maroo as my address...which is now obviously "taken" by someone pretending to be me.
Aww I'm sorry I had a ton of friends on my facebook too. Most of the friends were high school and college friends and I lost all of them. I went on my fb the one day, my password was changed, I changed it and was able to go on for a few mins before it was changed again to find that all my friends were deleted, as was my info, pictures, everything but my name.

I was living in FL at the time so I couldn't just take my computer home to my brother or my college's help desk to have it reformatted so I paid to have Best Buy to do it and they explained to me that the virus was through the email and then whatever was attached to that, it took it out..aka my facebook and myspace. Funny how it didn't touch disboards though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: