Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

OT: Cutting Speech Pathology

I'm reaching out to my Dis friends even though I know this is not Disney related. Due to budget cuts in Albany which have been passed on into the SUNY (State University of New York) system, the President of Geneseo has decided to cut the Communicative Disorders and Sciences program (Speech Pathology/Speech Therapy). Geneseo has both and undergraduate and graduate program in Speech Pathology. The college claims we don't fulfill the mission of the college, a program which has been a part of our college since the 1940's. A program which the president of the college called the "gem of the college" just last year. Our program trains students for a high demand field. Geneseo Speech graduates have a 100% hire rate post graduation.

Our program doesn't just train students, we also provide services to the community through our campus clinic. Our school is located in the poorest county in New York State. Locals, (both children AND adults) receive services through our clinic. We also send clinicians into 3 local school districts to provide services who the school districts wouldn't be able to cover and provide services for. So it is not just the students in the program being affected, it will effect the whole community.

So I'm asking for my Dis friends to sign our petition protesting the cutting of this program.

http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1...speech/?ref=mf

If you would like to see some of the news coverage we have been receiving I'm adding some links. We held a peaceful protest yesterday in front of the administration building.

http://rocnow.com/article/local-news/2010101122006

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top...-program-cuts/

Thank you!
Lora
tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
tink576

Here is a letter we received from our professor yesterday...

Dear Students:

We are facing the most serious challenge ever for our program. The most
important thing is for you not to believe the lies being spread by the bureaucrats in Erwin.
The community is being told that the college will be better and stronger
when CDSC is gone. That is blatantly untrue.

A college does not improve by killing it's best, most prestigious and well-known program. Ask anyone outside the college what SUNY Geneseo is known for and the answer won't be English or Sociology or Music, although they may be excellent departments. No, Geneseo is known for
Speech-Language Pathology. That is a credit to you and to the faculty and
staff of the department.

You've been told that the decision is based on the quality of the program.
Let's consider that for a moment. On the ASHA certification exam, our
program's scores have been at or extremely close to 100% for 20 years. The national average is 75%. Of our graduates who seek jobs, 100% find
employment. The percentage who go on the graduate school is unmatched in the college.

The CDSC faculty have national and international reputations. Dr. Metz,
for example, has received the honors of our state and national professional organizations and served as an editor of the Journal of
Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, the only time in the history of
the journal that such an honor has descended on a small state college. I
have been asked to give lectures and presentations in seven other
countries and am the author of five professional books. Dr. House has a
well-respected workbook in phonetics. Dr. McKenzie has an impressive
research history. And Dr. Spencer applied for the largest grant ever in
the college. On campus, our faculty serve on numerous college-wide
committees and two chair the two committees of college senate that
consider all curricular and course changes for the entire college. In the
clinic under the excellent direction of Mrs. Deats in speech-language and Dr. McKenzie in audiology, we provide thousands of hours of assessment and therapy to the community, many of whom could not afford to receive services otherwise. I could go on and on.

When we passed our recent ASHA re-accreditation with not one negative
concern, the site visitors marveled that we did so much with so little financial support from the college. Dr. Dahl called us the "gem of the college."

Lastly, this is all a credit to you. Honestly, we couldn't do any of this
without you, the fantastic students who have been and continue to be the
partners of the faculty and staff in this enterprise. We are helping you
become the professionals you came to SUNY Geneseo to become. Contrary to the bureaucratic misinformation, our enrollment is growing as you can attest. Quality attracts quality.

So never believe the lie that you, that all of us, will make the college better by not existing. You are strong and intelligent. And you are not helpless. Speak out to the press both here and at home.

In the days ahead, remember to hold your head high. I intend too. You have a well-deserved right to be proud of your affiliation with your
department.

Take care of each other. Give a hug when needed. And never ever believe
that you are expendable.

God Bless,
Dr. Bob
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Spaceace5150
Mouseketeer

Just curious.... what is the enrollment in the program?
Spaceace5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
tink576

I don't have the exact numbers on me, I'd have to ask when I get back onto campus, but I believe we have in the mid 200's. Geneseo, in general, is one of the smaller of the SUNY schools.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
ericafny
OK, I am a real Harry Potter geek I see

Former SUNY girl here (University at Albany). That is horrible they would cut a program like that. I am assuming it has something to do with the new state law taking away the 2 x 30 mandate for speech services for children with autism. I was just at a county meeting on Monday here on Long Island and this seems to have caused an uproar in the whole special education community. Keep on fighting, hopefully your voices will be heard. With Cuomo now in office, hopefully things will change for the better in NY.
ericafny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
RutgersAlum
Mouseketeer

Sounds like SUNY is doing a lot of cutting lately...SUNY Albany announced about a month ago that they are cutting their programs in French, Italian, Classics and Theater.

My family is forever indebted to the tireless work of Speech Pathologists. This move by SUNY Geneseo is a travesty. I fervently hope this is reversed!!

Good luck!
Michele/RutgersAlum

RutgersAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

As a New Yorker who has a child in Early Intervention receiving speech/swallow therapy, I am sad to hear this. I hope the school re-considers.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: