Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

When Hate and Love Collide You Get MAGIC? 2 updates! 3/10

I debated if I was going to post this part of the trip here, but after meeting some Dissers on my cruise I was encouraged to share my story here. I hope you enjoy the ride.

My Original PTR is here

Thin line tween Love and Hate Disney/Halloween TR Western Oct 30-Nov 6

I encourage you to read the the last few as those moments more and more lead up to this part of the trip. This part of the trip wasn't supposed to happen. The vacation was supposed to be a family just trying out Disney Cruise Lines (DCL) Magic on a Western Cruise. THEN Disney got involved with the GAD promotion and I saw a chance to fulfill a promise I made to my son.

About 3 years ago, I went on a secret honeymoon. I say secret cause my wife and I had been married for 1 1/2 years previous to that. We had just told my parents before the official announcement a couple months later. As such my wife and I went to FL and D* was one of those stops.

The promise was simple. My wife and I had met Woody and Buzz at HS. When my DS found out he was livid. Well, as much as a lived 4 year old can be. How dare we? We didn't take him!! you get the picture. We told him over the years that money has been hard to come by. Looking back, although I make decent cash, there were some really tough times. Anyway, one day he received a bank from my sister looks something like this

He proceeds to tell me that if he fills the bank, that he will pay for our trip to Florida. I told it was a deal and that he needed to save a lot of change. I love the way that even though to an adult that would seem nearly impossible for a child to pay for a trip... they (the children) don't seem to be disturbed by this. If they can believe it, then it could happen. (we could all learn a lesson in this sometimes.)

So then why the Hate? When I grew up in Florida, I wasn't a huge fan of the parks. In fact, I really didn't like going to them at all. Long lines, pushy people, HOT HOT HOT days. There was no such thing as Fast Pass and let's admit the other two things have their moments still. As a kid, I was raised on all things Disney. I could only watch their cable channel or movies. My family, although we weren't poor, never could afford to go there. I was in the room when parents wanted to take us there and it just wasn't feasible. As a result, I began to resent the place that so many enjoyed. Add I was in my teenage years and before too long... Disney just wasn't that ... well.. manly. I was into sports and not cute characters. The hate began to grow and soon I was no longer a fan. You could almost call it like the "Grinch Complex" and my hear grew 3 sizes too small.

But my experience with my wife on our honeymoon really opened my eyes to what D* does right. I worked for Six Flags at one time and have been on the other side. I understand what CMs go through, though I have never been one. That said, I respect them. So, when I went with my wife on our "late" honeymoon I was floored at the greatness that is D*. I promised myself I would stay neutral on the next trip, but I sure as hell wasn't going to punch out my Man Card.

I did want to see what this Magic that happens (supposedly), if it really would. If it did then all the better and I become a believer. If it doesn't then I lost nothing cause I got to have that vacation with my wife and child that I always wanted. There are things that I know I'm leaving out. Some of which are in the PTR. You may see some of them again. I can tell you this... what happened on this trip was... WHOA WHOA WHOA... you are just going to have to read.

Chapter 1
The Alarm and the Cast
Life is a Highway
Chapter 2
The All Important Red Folder and Hidden Mickey at Sea World
Spooktacular and Tradition No More
Chapter 3
Pixie Dust Explained
A Hotel...finally
Chapter 4
Epcot: Signatures and Cars
Epcot: A World's Character
Epcot: Furture World the Sequel
Chapter 5
3 star to 5 star
Ahhh Rest... Ring Ring Ring
Chapter 6
The Thin Line: begins...Mnnshp
Even Black Hearts Beat Red
Even Blacks Heart Beat RED Part 2
Chapter 7
The Palace and Some Mountains
When Jacuzzi Attack and Mountains Redux
Chapter 8
1/2 at the Sudios
The Unsung Hero's
Chapter 9
His Fault!
Working Hardly on the Railroad

Last edited by Fastpaks; 03-10-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

I am really lookiong forward to hearing all about your trip ... please don't keep me in suspense for too long!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

As I expected a great start to the parks portion of your adventure!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
verygfy
DIS Veteran

, great start!! I just had to jump on over and read!!! Can't wait to hear how "magic"al your trip was!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Looking forward to reading it after hearing all about it on the cruise!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing all about, what I hope was a very magical vacation!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Fastpaks

The Alarm and the Cast

We started packing about 7 days prior to the trip. The idea was the night before we leave, we will just pack the last few details, I can pack the van, and in the morning we are off. I wanted to leave by noon. I figured we could drive straight through to Orlando, get into to the Florida border by 3am, sleep for about 4 hours, and then off to Sea World. That was the plan. We all know that the plan never fails!

When I plan out something big, I know where all my paperwork is for hotels, the cruise, Sea World, and Disney are at all the time. I have a red folder for all of it. On Friday, since we were going to do the trip in cash, I called one of the hotels from the folder to check for room deposit. $50 no problem! On with packing!

The night before I pack up all the suitcases in the van and remarkably we all make it to bed around 11pm. My son had a football game in the morning around 10:30. I knew that we had just enough time if we got up around 7:30 to finish the last minute stuff and then run out the door. We would be leaving from his football game and practice at 9:30. (AND yes I am a coach too) I set the alarm for 7:30 and retired to bed.

Saturday Morning:

Shhhhhhhh. It was 7:30am. SO much excitement to leave. SO much desire to run out the door. You could here pin drops in the house. My son was quiet this early morning. It would be time to go soon. My dog was even really silent! A hush had settled on the house like no other. This was a house ready to go to Walt Disney and a Dcl Cruise!!

Shhhhhhhh. It was 8:00am. SO much excitement to leave. SO much desire to run out the door. You could here pin drops in the house. My son was quiet this early morning. It would be time to go soon. My dog was even really silent! A hush had settled on the house like no other. This was a house ready to go to Walt Disney and a Dcl Cruise!!

Shhhhhhhh. It was 8:30am. SO much excitement to leave. SO much desire to run out the door. You could here pin drops in the house. My son was quiet this early morning. It would be time to go soon. My dog was even really silent! A hush had settled on the house like no other. This was a house ready to go to Walt Disney and a Dcl Cruise!!

Shhhhhhhh. It was 9:00am. SO much excitement to leave. SO much desire to run out the door. You could here pin drops in the house. My son was quiet this early morning. It would be time to go soon. My dog was even really silent! A hush had settled on the house like no other. This was a house ready to go to Walt Disney and a Dcl Cruise!!

I felt like I had rested for days. It was the longest rest I had gotten in several weeks. Except this was the day, I wasn't supposed to get rest. 9:15 read on my clock like a huge NEON sign. I shook my wife and calmly yelled, " We are late!" Everything seemed like a wirl wind. One thought was to go to the game and then come back. Another was to just pack and leave. Which we would do the latter. My wife asked,"how did this happen?" Then I looked on the alarm and realized what I did. I have a Mon-Friday setting and the weekends were not set. Its hard to wake someone up when the alarm is set on the wrong days!!

We rushed around the house grabbing last minute things and the all important cash, Birth Certificates, and the RED FOLDER!!!!We knew we would be late to the game, but it was important to not forget anything. A couple last run throughs of the house and we were off! On time at 10:45! oops.

He won his game, said bye to friends, packed up the family, then left town!NOPE! My sister had just had her baby 5 days prior to our trip. We would need to see the nephew one more time. Then leave town! NOPE! We had to run to the grocery store for a couple of grab bag items and then finally leave town promptly at 2:00pm. oh well

Driving thru Downtown

All of us haven't ever seen Peter Pan. So the first movie of the trip was Peter Pan. Being such both my wife and child were glued to it.

We drove for about 2 1/2 hours till we decided that a break was needed. My son wanted to shoot the camara that way his mom and dad could be in pics too. This was the shot he finally got after about 10 with Rend Lake in the background.

It wasn't long till we got to our first stop. Population: 3000 A small little town called..

[

Then I saw the GPS on my phone say this and I thought that is cool.

Let me introduce the cast:

First, he is a whopping 48" tall weighing in at a mere 46lbs, the man, the Myth, he is the reason for this this trip. DS7 Adam. He is a health nut (I'm not joking!) Loves what most kids do.. and believes everything I told him.

Next to him, is the foundation of this house. The one that tells me, "NO we don't have that money!" when I want to get crazy with the cash. She normally likes to plan things, but I wanted her to just be able to chill out and have a great time. My wife of 4 years. Amy. in their heroic outfits of coarse!

Lastly, there is me. I'm a Fedex driver. I don't get to see my family except about 2 days out of the week. So this trip for 14 days was very important to me! Family is everything. And let's not forget my hero pose!

After the stop, we were on our way in to KY.

Last edited by Fastpaks; 11-18-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Color is cool!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Fastpaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
I am really lookiong forward to hearing all about your trip ... please don't keep me in suspense for too long!
I'm going to try not to. There was so many memories on this trip. My wife and I have been trying to write all them down. The house should be caught up this weekend. So I hopefully, will crank them out as fast as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
As I expected a great start to the parks portion of your adventure!
Thanks! Its good to see ya here too! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygfy View Post
, great start!! I just had to jump on over and read!!! Can't wait to hear how "magic"al your trip was!!!
There are some very cool moments here. I will say this.. the CM's are the difference in so many ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Looking forward to reading it after hearing all about it on the cruise!
Ellen, it was killer to meet you. Hopefully, I left some of it out so you can hear all the cool things that did happen. I still think about this trip and lemons and lemonade a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Looking forward to hearing all about, what I hope was a very magical vacation!
Glad you could make it over! It really was magi... Hold on now.. I see what you Lovers of Disney are doing!! Trickery! I can't love Disney 'till the END of the TR.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Love those superman / woman poses. Your first day sounds a lot like most of ours ... leaving way later than planned! I can't actually believe that Metropolis is a real place !
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Great start...I've followed your PTR and loved it. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Jill in CO
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Fun trip already!! How cute that your DS saved up for the trip - am SO glad that you got to go (DCL and WDW?!! How awesome is that!!)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

OK you picked SuperWOMAN...! LMAO!!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

I love the story about the piggy bank that is adorable!

Your DS Adam is adorable!

I love the pictures with the Superman cut outs!

Sounds like a great start to your vacation!

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Love the Superman/woman pics
Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #15
myelton01
Mouseketeer

Awesome! I love your TR's! Glad you made it to the game. We usually set the alarm for pm when it doesn't go off... Most annoying thing in the world, EVER!

Can't wait for more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: