Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #76
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I don't remember seeing it when I was there this past August.
Thanks.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #77
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6 View Post
Thanks.
You're welcome.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #78
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

I've just had my first experience with the Poly IPO (just asked for some info, even though my trip is ages away), fastest response from any IPO I've ever dealt with - email came through after just 20 minutes with all the information I requested, and more

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #79
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

I'm probably doing more handwringing over this trip than necessary, but I need to obsess on something....question for the gallery, any ideas as to why the BWI, which seems to get rave reviews for its CL seems to have the most availabliltiy... It seems like a smaller hotel overall, and if the all ears site is to be believed the BWI's CL scores far and away above the rest yet there is still wide open availabliltiy on our dates, a mere 90 days away....no YC openings, only SV-CL at BC, no avail at CR or WL, limited at AK, Poly and GF.....seems like the highest rated would go first, KWIM? Wow, just reread...in a nutshell, why do we think that the seemingly "best" CL appears to have a bunch of room while others that don't rate as highly are booked? Discuss amongst yourselves......
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #80
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
I'm probably doing more handwringing over this trip than necessary, but I need to obsess on something....question for the gallery, any ideas as to why the BWI, which seems to get rave reviews for its CL seems to have the most availabliltiy... It seems like a smaller hotel overall, and if the all ears site is to be believed the BWI's CL scores far and away above the rest yet there is still wide open availabliltiy on our dates, a mere 90 days away....no YC openings, only SV-CL at BC, no avail at CR or WL, limited at AK, Poly and GF.....seems like the highest rated would go first, KWIM? Wow, just reread...in a nutshell, why do we think that the seemingly "best" CL appears to have a bunch of room while others that don't rate as highly are booked? Discuss amongst yourselves......
I can't answer why the Boardwalk Inn have a lot of Club Level rooms available, although I guess that's great news for those who like to stay there. However I can back up that the service from their Club Level Cast Members was simply amazing and better then we thought, so I was happy that we are able to get a reservation for there next month. Also when I recently checked our dates the Boardwalk Inn was 100% sold out, so there is an example of it happening.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #81
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good question. Other than a slightly higher price "average" club level room at the BWI compared to the GF, we can't suggest an answer other than probability/chance.

The club level staff at Sugar Loaf (GF), unlike the Innkeepers Club (BWI), has to deal with many more guests. And since a percentage of all guests are obnoxious everywhere, the Sugar Loaf CMs are confronted by more of them and their antics. Hence, they are put to the "test" on a regular basis and may tend to "wear down" a bit, making them seem a bit less responsive to other guests.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #82
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnie1971 View Post
First off, I want to say that I in no way want to bash the Poly, or discourage anyone else from giving it a try. We have loved it for years. If we hadn't been staying there all of these years we wouldn't be bothered by these things because we wouldn't have experienced what it used to be. We aren't so upset that we will never go back. This has just given us the nudge to try a different resort.

I realize that problems with other guests can happen anywhere, and that there is little that the staff can do about it. Those things just added to our frustration.

In the past we were able to arrange to have gifts for our children in our room prior to our arrival. We could just let them know what we wanted, and it was done. They would even add extras like baloons, and a signed card from Mickey. Now they refer you to the Disney Florist.

On checkout day, we did not get an envelope on our door with our room charges printed out. I had to wait in line to get it right as we were preparing to leave. Unfortunately, it was a long wait because another guest was unhappy with Poly CL and was demanding to be moved.

The food offerings have very little variety compared to previous years. Things would run out, and were not replaced. All of these things may be a decline in Disney CL in general, and not just the Poly. That's why I was asking about the BC CL.

There were a few problems with the condition of the room. The bottom hinge on the cabinet over the refrigerator was completely broken. There were cob webs around the headboards on the bed. Turn down service was spotty. Some days we had it, some days we didn't. We did have some very interesting towel animals each day though. They changed daily, and were very cute.

None of these things were a huge deal to us, and I didn't complain about any of it. It just wasn't worth the time. The Poly will always be special to us, but it is just time to try something else.

I must say that I agree with this. We were sorely disappointed in the CL service at the Poly during our stay last May. Prior to this, it had been our HOME. In fact, we were so disappointed, we booked our BB at the Beach Club for this Nov.

During our stay it was often difficult to find a CM in the lounge to replace empty food stations, or provide a cold beverage. When said Cm's could be found, they often said they were "out" of the item being requested - despite it being more than 45 min or so before the end of the scheduled time for that particular menu item. There didn't seem to be any "Magic". I can totally understand running out of an item or two. I don't understand it happening repeatedly during a 1 week stay - and a seeming lack of effort to rectify the situation. And please let me be perfectly clear that I'm not a "high maintenance" guest. Snacks are snacks - NOT dinner. However, when all the cookies are gone when the grandchildren would like one in the early afternoon AND there is NO BEER for the grandparents in the mid afternoon - there's a problem. Maybe not if it happened once - but it happened to us 3 times during our 1 week stay. I think the worst part was the cursory "sorry, we're all out". Again - this was way before the scheduled time...
The perk for staying CL is SERVICE. We didn't experience that at the Poly.
Would I suggest a change of venue? Yep!
Last year those words would have been blasphemy.

On a brighter note, the beach was wonderful; housekeeping couldn't have been more accommodating, and being at a monorail resort was fantastic. Having said that, I won't be staying at the Poly - CL or not - ever again unless things improve. The service was really poor....
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #83
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsondisneyfan View Post
They asked us if we wanted to book that, but I told them not at that time. We have never done it before. Have you? I've got a 15 yr old and a 9 yr old.

Going in April 2011
CR MK view, 1 BR suite
A nameless cm suggested that I save my money when I asked about this.
Supposedly, the only thing extra that you do is drive on a different trail than the regular safari After that, I decided it wasn't worth the money. I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually booked this.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #84
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Doh...starting to get nervous about spending the extra bucks for our first CL stay at the CR. Hope it turns out to be worth it.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #85
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
A nameless cm suggested that I save my money when I asked about this.
Supposedly, the only thing extra that you do is drive on a different trail than the regular safari After that, I decided it wasn't worth the money. I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually booked this.
I can tell you that we did this and LOVED it. Of course, it all depends on your interests...
The bus does take a different route, but it doesn't stop there. The driver points out various animals you wouldn't normally see on the KS AND STOPS THE BUS to get a better look. We saw ostrich eggs, lions basking on a rock, hippos, gazzels, baby giraffes cavorting with each other, etc - that we never saw on the usual KS ride. You're also allowed to stand up and look out each side of the bus (when it's stopped) so you can view things you might not see otherwise. You're encouraged to take pictures - no one rushes you thru. You can really relish the experience.
The KS ride is very nice - but reminds me of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", whereas the excursion is an experience that you will learn from and remember for a long time.
We took our 2 grandchildren, ages 7 & 4 at the time - and they still bring it up occasionally. Can't say that about most of the other attractions....
Don't know how your children will feel about it - probably would depend on their interests.
Have a great trip!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #86
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Beach Club CL People!!!

This is for anyone who has visited the BC CL recently:

I have a standard view club level room booked for May, and I know it is iffy and nothing is guaranteed, but does anyone have a suggestion for a room number to request, specifically, that will give me a woods view as opposed to an ugly rooftop view? TIA!!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #87
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The BWI CL is amazing The only negative from my own perpsective are the amount of standard club level rooms with a boardwalk view are extremely limited, there's only about half a dozen, the only way to 'guarantee' a boardwalk view is to go with the deluxe rooms, whereas the other epcot resorts offer standard club level rooms with various view categories. I really do wish the Boardwalk would offer this too, i.e. standard club level rooms with a guaranteed boardwalk view, garden view, or standard view (the dreaded 2 rooms at the end of the hall with the wonderful ESPN satellite view).

I also think the BWI has a more 'adult vibe', although of course it's still very family friendly (it's Disney lol) which can put people off (3 of my friends feel this way).

Every CL gets good and bad reviews and really is quite subjective, I'm trying the Poly next year because I've always wanted to stay at that resort, I tend to stay CL for the pre planning assistance and secure floor/building, evening offerings a nice perk but I don't tend to take full advantage (only have a nibble or two before heading out for dinner) of either the food or lounge.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #88
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I can't answer why the Boardwalk Inn have a lot of Club Level rooms available, although I guess that's great news for those who like to stay there. However I can back up that the service from their Club Level Cast Members was simply amazing and better then we thought, so I was happy that we are able to get a reservation for there next month. Also when I recently checked our dates the Boardwalk Inn was 100% sold out, so there is an example of it happening.

Looking forward to hearing about your up-coming BWI trip, we have ressies for CL in May. I've never stayed there and have read good things about this resort.

We just returned from an 8 day stay at Sugarloaf and wonder if I'll be disappointed in BWI. I try not to compare my other trip to our current choice, but Sugarloaf was our best stay so far.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #89
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Many people pass up Boardwalk because they think that the counter service options are so limited. Lots of folks won't stay there because of the dreaded clown slide at the pool. Some people see it as more adult-oriented, for some reason.

Whatever---as long as there is always a room for me!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #90
hill6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyDec2008 View Post
Guests staying on the concierge level at a Walt Disney World Deluxe Resort can take advantage of a unique tour called Wildlife Discovery Excursions. An animal expert will accompany you in a specially designed climate controlled vehicle for a one hour journey into the 110 acre savannah at Disney's Animal Kingdom. (Tours began February 2005).

This tour is very educational and full of information regarding Disney's animal programs. You stop at pre-selected locations in the savannah for photo opportunities. The tour is held rain or shine (unless the weather is severe). During our tour it rained quite heavily at times, however the animals were out all over the savannah.

Small groups (14 maximum) head out for this adventure twice a day at a cost of $45 each. A portion of the proceeds are donated to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. Advance reservations are required. Contact your concierge or resort itinerary planner at your deluxe Disney resort.
Just booked the tour this week and it was $50 per person.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: