Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #3706
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydusted View Post
iluvwdw4ever.... we were there in August,
When exactly in August were you there: early, mid, late? We are going for one day in mid-December and I am trying to get a feel for the crowds. We are staying DVC and have only done Universal in the past while staying onsite. I am so gonna miss that.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #3707
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwdw4ever View Post
I need some help please!!!!! We willl be visiting WWoHP on December 17th and are completely clueless!!!! Will they be busy?? What time should we arrive?? How long should it take to see everything?? Do we need dining ressies??

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!! And any tips and suggestions would help too!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Be sure to check out the Harry Potter Crowd Report thread because people are posting their experiences with the crowds and that might give you an idea. For the most part, though, the crowds now seem to be following similar patterns to that at WDW. I've never been to WDW or IOA in December, but I would think it would be pretty busy.

The worst lines tend to be at Ollivander's for the little show. If you want to see it, either use early entry (if you are staying on site) or be prepared for a wait or hope for good luck.
The castle lines can get long for FJ, but they move quickly. Once you've seen the castle and ridden FJ once, your best bet is to use the single rider line if people want to try it again. It is usually much quicker. DON'T WAIT in the locker line if there is one. Instead, head to the right of the castle, through Filch's Emporium and enter the lockers that way. It will save you a lot of time.
If the line at the butterbeer cart is long, try the Hog's Head bar. They also serve it there.
You can't make reservations to eat at The Three Broomsticks. It is a couner service. There may be a wait to get in, though. I think the only place at IOA that takes reservations is Mythos if you want to eat there, but I'm not sure. There may be others, but not in WWOHP.

As for how long, that is up to you. The area is small, and you could probably see everything in a couple of hours. But, we spent many hours there, taking in all the details, trying all the beverages, taking tons of photos etc...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #3708
mdb78
knock knock knock... Penny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwdw4ever View Post
I need some help please!!!!! We willl be visiting WWoHP on December 17th and are completely clueless!!!! Will they be busy?? What time should we arrive?? How long should it take to see everything?? Do we need dining ressies??

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!! And any tips and suggestions would help too!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
For the Three Broomsticks, you do not need reservations for lunch and dinner. What's nice about this restaurant is that after you get your food, the TM's find a table for you.

If you have the Harry Potter package, then the breakfast is included and you'll need to make reservations. There have been reports of non package holders getting lucky and able to eat breakfast at Three Broomsticks since the restaurant wasn't full that morning.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #3709
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
When exactly in August were you there: early, mid, late? We are going for one day in mid-December and I am trying to get a feel for the crowds. We are staying DVC and have only done Universal in the past while staying onsite. I am so gonna miss that.

Thanks!
We were there August 19th. It was very crowded but we are so glad we went, you really do feel like you are in Hogsmeade! We were staying off property so didn't get the advantage of early entry. I think if you just know there will be crowds and decide that that's ok then it won't be too bad. I hope you have a great time!!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #3710
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydusted View Post
We were there August 19th. It was very crowded but we are so glad we went, you really do feel like you are in Hogsmeade! We were staying off property so didn't get the advantage of early entry. I think if you just know there will be crowds and decide that that's ok then it won't be too bad. I hope you have a great time!!
We were at the HRH from Aug. 19th to 26th. I think the 22nd was the first day we went to IOA (did DC and SW first). Anyway, the crowds seemed to fluctuate greatly from not too bad to a huge line snaking through Jurassic Park just to get in. One thing that seemed to affect things greatly, was how well the technology was working. Our first morning, the had FJ up and running at 8 am and there were no glitches. The crowds were quite manageable that day. On a couple of other days though, the ride broke down or wasn't running at all. Without the ride running, people were doing other things (like shop, ride the coasters, drink butterbeer etc...) which made the place pretty unbearable and caused lines for everything, even just to get in the shops where you couldn't move. Hopefully, the technology will work at the busier holiday times or things could get crazy!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #3711
OnceUponADream07
Mouseketeer

Thanksgiving Weekend

We are heading in to Orlando late 11/26. We thought we would check out HP on Saturday, Nov. 27th before checking in at WDW but I am worried about the Thanksgiving crowds? We had been to US & IOP 2 years ago and on other previous trips, so whatever else I see will be a bonus. Any idea of how the Thanksgiving Crowds usually are? We usually check in to WDW on Sunday and most people are heading home!! I am afraid if we wait until later in our trip, we will never make it to HP.

1982 (pre-kids), 1991, 1995, 1998, 1999 (DS only); 2000 & 2006 - Off-Site; 2004 & 2008 POR (ME, DH); 2009 ME, DH, DS, DD & DBFF - POR; 2010 (ME, DH) - CBR; 2011 OKW (ME, DH); 2012 POR FQ (ME, DH);2013 CS
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #3712
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Hopefully, the technology will work at the busier holiday times or things could get crazy!
Things will be crazy regardless but it will be worse if attractions are down no doubt about that.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #3713
Caribbeanprincess
Princess of the Caribbean Seas

I'll be going to Universal on January 3rd. Hopefully the crowds will have calm down by then...

Me 25 ~[SIZE="1"][COLOR="lime"]Trips: April 1996 - Offsite ~ July 1998 - Offsite ~ April 2006 - Offsite ~ December 2007 - Offsite ~ December 2008 -Disney's BoardWalk Inn ~ June 2009 - Disney's AllStar Music ~ December/January 2010-2011 - Disney's AllStar Movies ~ December 2011 - Pop Century ~ December 2012 - Pop Century
Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #3714
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

I don't think what time of year you go wwohp is going to be busy and even though I don't care for Harry Potter I have to admitt they did a awsome job with the themeing even though it was a mad house when I went in july
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #3715
fincsher
Earning My Ears

I love the movie Harry Potter, its graphics, effects is great!! So thanks for opening this thread... :D
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: