Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #496
AlbertZeroK
Mouseketeer

I should have said Prime lenses are the best for indoor shooting because they work in lower light situations. I agree with Frantasmic, you're likely looking at the 70-200 f/2.8 from canon or Sigma.

Would I buy a Sigma 70-200? Yes. If the Canon was outside my budget, then yes, I'd get the Sigma and not the canon lens. There is one other thing you should know about the new canon 70-200, it is believed to be one of the fastest focusing lenses canon has ever made - and yes, it's FAST and yes, it's much faster than the Sigma. That being said, the Sigma is a good choice and I don't really know if you would see the difference in many situations.
AlbertZeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #497
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

The only two 70-200's with IS/OS to fit the Canon cameras are the Canon ($2,069) and the Sigma ($1,699). Both of the latest versions have the USM/HSM motors and both focus extremely fast and are quiet. In real world situations you will probably notice little difference in the focusing speed. If you don't need IS/OS, then prices go down drastically. A non-OS Sigma lens goes for $799 and the Tamron for $729 (no fast focusing motor). These are B & H prices.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #498
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Start with the basics!

I suggest you start with consumer grade telephoto lens:
Canon 55-250 IS f/4-5.6
Canon 70-300 USM IS f/4-5.6

Don't expect any lens to take great pictures. You got to *LEARN* how to make the lens take great picture! With telephoto lenses, you have lots of lessons to learn.

Be more concerned about learning technique, rather than equipment.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #499
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran

Before I dropped that kind of money on a lens, I would rent one from either www.borrowlenses.com (which I've used to rent a 400mm zoom for some HS football shots last year) or www.lensrentals.com which comes highly recommended.

Quickly checking www.lensrentals.com, you can get the f/4 lens for 7 days for $75 (including shipping) or $120 for the f/2.8 lens for the same time period.

I'm thinking about renting at least one lens for my upcoming trip in December. Either I'm going to get a really fast prime (like maybe the 50mm f/1.4) or the 100-400mm zoom. We're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I would love to have a nize zoom like that for shooting the animals.
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #500
DoleWhipDVC
Mouseketeer

Great advice from everyone. Thanks and thanks again! Paul, you're right I will work on technique as I learn the capabilities of my equipment. I'll check out the price/availability of the lenses you mentioned.

ChiSoxKeith, rental seems like a great idea! Even if I take a rental along for 2 weeks I'll still pay less than buying one AND I'll get to learn the pros/cons of the lens while actually shooting at a much lower price.

Thanks to everyone who responded. If anyone wants to add more thoughts, I'm all "ears"
DoleWhipDVC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dof, photography

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: