Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #316
enyaj40
I use antlers in all of my decorating...

Informative and entertaining opening post!
enyaj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #317
kwmyers01
Earning My Ears

I go to Disney every year in September. We were at the Beach Club pool and there was a person (waitress) walking around taking drink orders etc. I overheard her explaining to a guest that if they purchase the mugs then they can be reused forever. After the waitress person walked away I immediatly stopped her for clarification. She said that there was a recently undisclosed policy of being able to reuse the mug year after year. I was delighted to hear this since it was coming from a Disney employee. If the Disney employee was incorrect then she was misleading folks that she was selling the drinks to. SO, I have to believe this is true.
kwmyers01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #318
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmyers01 View Post
I go to Disney every year in September. We were at the Beach Club pool and there was a person (waitress) walking around taking drink orders etc. I overheard her explaining to a guest that if they purchase the mugs then they can be reused forever. After the waitress person walked away I immediatly stopped her for clarification. She said that there was a recently undisclosed policy of being able to reuse the mug year after year. I was delighted to hear this since it was coming from a Disney employee. If the Disney employee was incorrect then she was misleading folks that she was selling the drinks to. SO, I have to believe this is true.
If that is the case, why do the mugs state right on them that they are only good for the duration of the trip and at the location they were purchased? One Disney employee does not make Disney Policy unless it's Robert Iger.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #319
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Cruisers View Post
I'm also interested in what the mugs look like now.
they look the same as they have for 2 years now. sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If that is the case, why do the mugs state right on them that they are only good for the duration of the trip and at the location they were purchased? One Disney employee does not make Disney Policy unless it's Robert Iger.
I think the employee was trying to "hint" at (and not so well), that if you have mug that looks exactly the sameas last year's mug, go ahead and use it.(didn't say that I said that!)

those of us who go every year wouldn't mind paying for a new mug if it didn't look JUST like the one we already have! who wants duplicate souveniers? (before I get jumped all over, I didn't say I don't buy new ones.. I said no one wants to pay for something that looks exactly like something they already have...
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #320
dmoore22
Old Rock n' Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
they look the same as they have for 2 years now. sigh!

I think the employee was trying to "hint" at (and not so well), that if you have mug that looks exactly the sameas last year's mug, go ahead and use it.(didn't say that I said that!)

those of us who go every year wouldn't mind paying for a new mug if it didn't look JUST like the one we already have! who wants duplicate souveniers? (before I get jumped all over, I didn't say I don't buy new ones.. I said no one wants to pay for something that looks exactly like something they already have...
I agree. Purchasing new mugs when making multiple trips each year gets very old. We've run out of family to give our "pre-used" ones to. If this policy change is true then WDW is actually returning to an old policy from many years ago. I've often wondered if WDW couldn't do what one of the pizza parlors does in the town where my daughter went to college. They sell a refillable mug that is good for the year in which it is purchased. That would require WDW to change the design more often which may be an expense the company is trying to avoid to cut costs. Of course, like many of you, I remember the good old days of resort specific mug designs.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #321
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore22 View Post
I agree. Purchasing new mugs when making multiple trips each year gets very old. We've run out of family to give our "pre-used" ones to. If this policy change is true then WDW is actually returning to an old policy from many years ago. I've often wondered if WDW couldn't do what one of the pizza parlors does in the town where my daughter went to college. They sell a refillable mug that is good for the year in which it is purchased. That would require WDW to change the design more often which may be an expense the company is trying to avoid to cut costs. Of course, like many of you, I remember the good old days of resort specific mug designs.
I've been going to WDW since 1997 and it wasn't the policy then. I can't imagine why Disney would decide to give stuff away for free. That's not what they do. They are in the business to make money. Even free dining isn't free.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #322
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

I have thought the exact same thing as you did because how many guests don't like purchasing the same mug design a few times a year if they take multiple vacations to WDW.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #323
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I agree, my first two trips I was able to get resort specific mugs, but then I ended up getting several YOMD mugs, and now I have quite a few Celebration mugs. I'm really hoping for a new mug design next year.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #324
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I have thought the exact same thing as you did because how many guests don't like purchasing the same mug design a few times a year if they take multiple vacations to WDW.
That's what I was thinking, too.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #325
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Do you think they will have a new designed mug for Christmas time ? Do they have the same red ones now at Halloween time ? It would be nice to have hoilday mugs anyway lol
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #326
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

What do the mugs looks like? Where in this post can I find them?
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #327
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I've been going to WDW since 1997 and it wasn't the policy then. I can't imagine why Disney would decide to give stuff away for free. That's not what they do. They are in the business to make money. Even free dining isn't free.
Back in '99, we did get those good forever mugs at DxL. There was signage stating that at the mug stand. It did change before my next visit there in '01 though.
But....while Disney may have the 'rules' written on the side of the mugs (and they do), the practice of reusing mugs, for years on end, will not end until CMs actively do something about it. I have no problem with guests reusing Disney mugs...but I do have a problem with guests using mugs other than these Disney ones. I have seen people refilling thermo's, Big Gulps, cups from US/IoA, Busch Gardens, water bottles...and that drives me nuts.
But, we have CMs telling guests pretty much what they want to hear.....so what are the guests supposed to believe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
Go back a page to post 314..shows exactly what the mugs look like now.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #328
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Thanks!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #329
dmoore22
Old Rock n' Roller

Quote:
I've been going to WDW since 1997 and it wasn't the policy then.
1997? Why that was just yesterday!. Oh you youngsters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Back in '99, we did get those good forever mugs at DxL. There was signage stating that at the mug stand.
Our memories go back further than goofy4tink. The refills were only good at the resort in which they were purchased.

Quote:
I can't imagine why Disney would decide to give stuff away for free. That's not what they do. They are in the business to make money. Even free dining isn't free.
This is true. Someone, somewhere is paying. In the case of drinks the markup is significant compared to the low cost to Disney to purchase, even factoring in the CM salaries. It's that law of economics called economies of scale. Except in this case the savings aren't always shared with the consumer. Whatever savings the guest receives in the resort with a refillable mug is more than made up for with the amount of money the guest spends in the parks. Now if I could just get free refills on the Mango Gingeritas!!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #330
merriwthr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
I finally went to EBay and searched for Disney Refillable mugs to see what they look like. Can't tell you what design they're selling now, but it will give you a good idea of what they've looked like in the past.

And yes - folks do sell them.

Tags
mug, rfid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: