Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #1471
Disney Geek
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=cdotla;38678274]No kidding! I was at MNSSHP on Oct.17th? Were you there too by chance???

Yes, Katie started her lessons and has been absolutely loving riding! Actually we are both enjoying it - I am riding with her![QUOTE]

No, we were at the party on September 28 and it rained miserably all afternoon and for part of the evening. Thankfully it cleared up around 8pm but that had put somewhat of a damper on my mood so I felt I deserved a "do-over" MNSSHP especially since I didn't get the see the headless horseman in the parade, because the streets were too wet he wasn't out (first parade only, don't know if he came out in the second one). Unfortunately our schedule was packed so attending another night was not possible... Oh well.. Guess I will just have to go back next year...

How fun that the 2 of you are taking riding lessons together! Do I see a pony as an addition to the family in the near future???

Woo Hoo! Just realized that this is my 100th post!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #1472
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

All caught up now! :D

LOVE the updates and the kids' J&J pumpkin outfits!!
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #1473
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Love your christmas cards.....glad that your photo session worked out so well for you.

Did you have a nice time away?
Thanks! And I had a great time. Very short trip, but lots of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Hi Trish! I know I've been MIA from the DIS the past few months but I'm back and I just spent the morning catching up on your TR!! I can't wait to read more and see how your birthday dinner goes! And I LOVE your Christmas cards!! WOW! You are ahead of the game! I will be rushing to get ours done when we get back from our trip since I want to use pics from our trip with all of the Christmas decorations! Oh--and I wanted to add that I just ADORE Katie's Tiana custom--BEAUTIFUL!!
Well hey stranger! Glad to see you back here! Can't wait to see your Christmas cards...I love all the cards people use from their holiday trips to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Geek View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]No, we were at the party on September 28 and it rained miserably all afternoon and for part of the evening. Thankfully it cleared up around 8pm but that had put somewhat of a damper on my mood so I felt I deserved a "do-over" MNSSHP especially since I didn't get the see the headless horseman in the parade, because the streets were too wet he wasn't out (first parade only, don't know if he came out in the second one). Unfortunately our schedule was packed so attending another night was not possible... Oh well.. Guess I will just have to go back next year...

How fun that the 2 of you are taking riding lessons together! Do I see a pony as an addition to the family in the near future???

Woo Hoo! Just realized that this is my 100th post!!!
So sorry you missed the headless horseman. You are right - that is a very good reason to return!

Yay for your 100th post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
All caught up now! :D

LOVE the updates and the kids' J&J pumpkin outfits!!
Thank you!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #1474
cdotla
Trish

Birthday Dinner at Jiko

After my lovely afternoon solo jaunt through Worldshowcase, I came back to a content and well-rested family lounging in the villa watching some Disney cartoons.

When I arrived home I was presented with a card from my family and a Disney shopping bag. Inside were these:

A Mickey dishtowel and antenna topper! Of course, I knew my SIL had something to do with these gifts, as just two nights earlier I had been standing in line at World of Disney with these exact items but gave up as a result of the long wait.

I also received a card from my MIL, SIL and nephews for a pedicure at either of the Niki Bryan spas at WDW.

After the cards and gifts were opened, I jumped into the shower and quickly got ready for dinner. Then, we were off...to Animal Kingdom Lodge and our first experience at Jiko! I couldn't wait!!!

Once again, it was great to see the cousins bonding together on this trip.

This restaurant was absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, my photos don't do it justice. I either didn't use flash, and got blurry images like this:

Or I flash lit all the details out of the photos like this:

So you will just have to take my word for it!

To start, I ordered the mussels. Really good, except that my bread was a little burnt. As I need to have bread when eating a dish like this, I have to admit it took some of the pleasure away from some otherwise delicious mussels.

Chris, on the other hand, hit the jackpot by ordering the Taste of Africa breads and dips. This was absolutely delicious. I could never come here again without getting this:

Here is a sampling of the many delicious meals that were served to us that evening:

And the kids' meals:

For dessert, they brought out a special card and dessert for me, (which I gave away to one of my nephews as I had already ordered my dessert):

The kiddos had super-fantastic sundaes:

My dessert:

Delicious! Three mini donuts.

(Continued next post...)

Last edited by cdotla; 10-31-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #1475
cdotla
Trish

(Continued from last post)

After dinner, we spent some time exploring the Lodge, watching the animals, and speaking to the wonderful CMs.

Of course, the pool was fabulous:

As was the kids' playground:

As it was the last night that we would be all together as my SIL and her boys were leaving early the next morning, we also took some time for some more group photos:

Although I had plans of watching Illuminations that night from inside Worldshowcase, unfortunately everyone was too tired by the time we arrived back at the Beach Club. However, I was able to convince my SIL to head back out with me to Downtown Disney for a little more shopping before her trip came to and end. And of course, we also enjoyed another Ghiradelli sundae!

UP NEXT: Relaxing at the Beach Club

Last edited by cdotla; 10-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #1476
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

what a perfect birthday meal!!

Your food photos make me want to add Jiko to our 'potential ADRs for honeymoon trip' list
I ate there about 10 years ago with my family - we had the most amazing server, she actually sat down at the table with us & chatted like we were good friends only at Disney, lol.

Emma x
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #1477
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Wasn't Jiko great?! It definitley was added to my list of favorite places to eat after Mom and I ate there in May.

All of the photos that I tried to take inside the restaurant turned out just like yours. Those light fixtures are so cool too, I really wanted to try and get a shot of them, it just wasn't meant to be.

Great family pics, you all are one beautiful group!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #1478
cdotla
Trish

Day 8: Relaxing at the Beach Club

Apart from our Beach Day on the Gulf Coast, this was the first day we decided not to enter a theme park in the morning. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast from the Beach Club Marketplace and Boardwalk Bakery (grabbing the best stuff from each place), and then head out to soak up the sun at Stormalong Bay.

This was exactly what we needed. It was my MIL's last day with us, so it was nice to enjoy some quiet, relaxing time with her before she flew home. I even took both kids to the kiddie area for quite awhile to give Chris and his mom some time to relax together.

Just before noon, we gathered up our things, showered, and got ready to venture over to Epcot. We had a lunch reservation at Coral Reef, which again would prove to be another favourite from our trip. It is also one that gets very mixed reviews on the Disboards. If there is one thing I have learned from all of my trips to Disney is that you really have to try things out for yourself.

We LOVED Coral Reef. Everything about it...from the theming, the decor, the server, and our food.

Here is Chris' appetizer:

And my MIL's:

I just ate one of the kid's veggie plates:

The kids each got pizza:

Chris & I got the Mahi-Mahi:

And his mother got the lobster raviolli:

Trust me...this photo simply does not do this dish justice. I was offered a taste and couldn't believe how wonderful it was! I had been perfectly happy with my Mahi-Mahi...until I tasted that lobster raviolli. Chris and I have this place top on our list for a return visit!

Even the desserts here were delicious:

After lunch, we ventured over to Nemo, took a spin in the clamshells, and then visited Bruce:

Did I mention Chris has a strange interest in sharks? No trouble getting a picture taken here!

After that, we headed over to Journey into Imagination with Figment. I hadn't been on this in years.

It was cute, and the kids enjoyed it. And best of all - no line!

After that, we headed over to take a boat ride across World Showcase Lagoon. But first...more Flower & Garden photos:

Once docked, we were headed to Japan's Mitsukoshi store to do some shopping, and to pick a pearl!

UP NEXT: Picking a Pearl in Japan

Last edited by cdotla; 10-31-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #1479
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
what a perfect birthday meal!!

Your food photos make me want to add Jiko to our 'potential ADRs for honeymoon trip' list
I ate there about 10 years ago with my family - we had the most amazing server, she actually sat down at the table with us & chatted like we were good friends only at Disney, lol.

Emma x
Jiko continues to be very, very good IMO. I think after 10 yrs, you are well overdue for a return visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Wasn't Jiko great?! It definitley was added to my list of favorite places to eat after Mom and I ate there in May.

All of the photos that I tried to take inside the restaurant turned out just like yours. Those light fixtures are so cool too, I really wanted to try and get a shot of them, it just wasn't meant to be.

Great family pics, you all are one beautiful group!
Thanks Michelle! Glad you and your mom liked it as well. I really haven't heard too many negative things at all about this place!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #1480
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Ok, this is my first time commenting on your tr but I have followed it along from the beginning! First, the title makes me laugh everytime! A Disney resistant husband! Love it! I don't know what I'd do if my DH was resistant! I've officially trained him that Disney is our only vacation spot. He's onboard now, after about 3 Disney trips. Although he did give me a scare when he suggested we go to the beach instead next year. I about had a heart attack and then gently reminded him of all the fun Disney has been in the past for us. Whew! Crisis averted!

Your kids are adorable and it looks like you had an amazing time together. And how fun to have that special alone time at Epcot that you did. A little slice of heaven, right? I've really been enjoying your updates! Great job!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #1481
annegirl
DIS Veteran

Love the update. I can't wait until your next installment as the two things mentioned are things we are doing on our upcoming first trip!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #1482
jillyb
DIS Veteran

We love Coral Reef too and I can't wait to eat there again in 26 days!!!! The Mahi Mahi is delicious!

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #1483
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Your Jiko meal looks great! I want to try Jiko but it seems like such a pain to get there if you don't have a car. My other concern is my intense dislike of curry. I've tried thai curry, Indian curry, etc. I'm pretty reasonable about trying new foods. I like spice in my food. And yet I have never found a curry that I can even tolerate, much less like. It's one of my few food weirdnesses. I won't even set foot in an Indian restaurant unless I absolutely have to because the smell bothers me so much!

That's great that you had such a yummy meal at Coral Reef. I'll confess that I've stayed away because of the mixed reviews but maybe we need to try it for ourselves. I love most seafood!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #1484
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I really should have eaten dinner before reading your report on Jiko.....I can tell you this is one restaurant we will be visiting for sure next summer. We were trying to figure out where we would have an adults only evening and I`ve just decided it will be here!!!

Great pics of all the kids....so adorable!! Glad you got another night at DTD...and I would have had a ghiradelli sundae too....hey, we can`t go to DTD and not, rightÉ
Old 10-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #1485
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Looks like you had a fantastic birthday!
I will definitely try Jiko soon.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: