Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Hockey Pockety Wockety Wack A Tale of A Trip from the Back of the Pack

Once upon a time, oh about a year and a half ago, a crazy thought crept into my head - that I should take up running. For most people this wouldn't be so crazy of an idea, but for the girl who spent most of her youth creatively avoiding as many gym classes as possible this was a pretty out there idea. (And believe me, I was really good at getting out of gym class. ) I blame the WISH section of the Disboards. I'd visit there and read reports of seemingly normal, sane people who for some reason were running marathons and half marathons at Disney. They all seemed normal enough, except for the whole running thing. I just didn't get it. They'd all keep talking about the book "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. Curious, I borrowed the book from my library to find out what the fuss was about. I read, and slowly I started to understand why. I don't know when a book has resonated so much with me, but to a person deeply unhappy with parts of her life, something clicked, and I found myself lacing up my first pair of running shoes.

I worked my way through a couch to 5k program, and cried the first time I ran for 30 minutes straight. I had done something I had thought I could never do, but I needed more. Part of me wanted the validation of a larger challenge, and a medal around my neck as my reward to prove to myself that I could see this through to the end. In one bewildering moment I found myself becoming one of those "crazy" people. I had signed myself up for Disney's Inugural Wine and Dine Half Marathon.

The road from registering to the actual race was a bit rocky. You can check out my PTR 13.1 Miles Before I Hit 40 for all the details if you like. In the simplest of terms, I hit a bit of a rough patch this year, and really lost all desire to do much of anything let alone run. Functioning as a normal human was my primary concern. I'd train because I knew I had the race coming up, but the joy I had been feeling earlier when running was gone. I no longer could run those 30 minutes straight, but I could walk and run intervals in between so I tried to focus on that. The thought of the race had become a huge weight around my neck, making me dread my upcoming trip. For once I wasn't looking forward to my trip to Walt Disney World. I was dreading it. Had the race not been paid for, and the airfare been unrefundable, I would have probably cancelled the trip altogether. The thought of the race was making me ill.

But I went.

I ran (or maybe more correctly waddled ), and at the end of 13.1 miles I felt like myself again for the first time in months something I wasn't expecting. I had made it, and lived to tell the tale of running my first half marathon at Disney, with a side of Universal Studios.

So, time for some short and sweet introductions to the players in this tale.

The Who:

Me, Crissy to my friends. I'm 39 years old, single, with no kids, but have two nieces that I adore and spoil. First Disney trip was back in 1979, and I've been hooked ever since. Luckily I've been blessed with a family that "gets it" as well. Favorite characters are Donald, Belle and Mad Madam Mim. Joining me this trip was one of my long time BFF's who will be remaining photoless for this trip report. She lives in another state, but she's become my Disney travel partner joining me on my past December trip as well as back in 2007. For the most part we travel really well together, we are a lot alike, and she's up for just about anything, but a few issues are always bound to arise. This would also be her first half marathon as well.

Also making appearances will be a friend I hadn't seen in over 20 years, and a surprise DIS meet or two.

The When and The Where:
Oct. 1 - 7, 2010 at the Beach Club Resort
Oct. 7-9, 2010 at the Hard Rock Hotel

The Why:
The race of course, and secondly to check out Harry Potterland.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Last edited by If U Had Wings; 02-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents:

- Some Background Nitty Gritty
- Why the *Bleep* Do I Keep Flying Out at 6:30 am?
- Run Like a Princess?
- A (Disney) Room with a View
- A Small Diversion
- Why Yes, Yes I'm Here Again
- The One Where My Vacation is Nearly Ruined
- Something New
- Race Day! Part 1
- Race Day! Part 2
- Race Day! Part 3
- Race Day! Part 4
- Race Day! Part 5
- Recovery Day

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Last edited by If U Had Wings; 02-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Yay! You started! I can't wait to hear all the details of your trip and the race, too.

You've accomplished something that I'm still afraid to start. Maybe I should find that book?

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I am here!!! Going back to read now that I have secured my spot!!

Ok, I have read the intruduction now! I said it before, how much I admire your achievement! But I did not know how good it was for you as well. I am so glad that getting through this finally resulted in you feeling like yourself again! I am so glad to hear that and I hope that this feeling will last for some time.

I am really looking forward to your tales of the trip, the running, WDW and Potter!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
UsMcWifeForever
Mouseketeer

subing
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I have no idea what that title means.....

Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Congrats on finishing!
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Wouldn't miss one of your reports, Crissy, for all the sheep heads in Kazakhstan. (I know that sounded really weird, but they REALLY love their sheep heads there.)

Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

You know I'm in, though I'll be pretty silent for a while...as our flight leaves in a mere 26 hours. But I'll catch up eventually.

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
You know I'm in, though I'll be pretty silent for a while...as our flight leaves in a mere 26 hours. But I'll catch up eventually.

SkierPete
Have a great trip!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm here! I'm so excited to read about your trip and the 1/2. I can't wait!!
And first too! I can see I'm not the only one slipping in some DIS visits while at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiequilts View Post
Yay! You started! I can't wait to hear all the details of your trip and the race, too.

You've accomplished something that I'm still afraid to start. Maybe I should find that book?
Thanks! I can't tell you how much I love that book. His Marathoning for Mortals is really good too, but that first one really hit home for me. It's not about specific running plans, just about why non-runners take up running later in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I am here!!! Going back to read now that I have secured my spot!!

Ok, I have read the intruduction now! I said it before, how much I admire your achievement! But I did not know how good it was for you as well. I am so glad that getting through this finally resulted in you feeling like yourself again! I am so glad to hear that and I hope that this feeling will last for some time.

I am really looking forward to your tales of the trip, the running, WDW and Potter!
It was a much, much different trip from the December trip. The race really helped give me a new outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsMcWifeForever View Post
subing
Welcome!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I have no idea what that title means.....
It's a song from Sword in the Stone. I love that movie and couldn't resist it since I could make a rhyme. I can so easily entertain myself sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
Congrats on finishing!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Wouldn't miss one of your reports, Crissy, for all the sheep heads in Kazakhstan. (I know that sounded really weird, but they REALLY love their sheep heads there.)
I love it! Hey, I'm a knitter, I always appreciate a good sheep. Heads included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Love the title. I'm so proud of you, and I can't wait to read all about your trip.
Thanks TK! After all the stress, it was a wonderful trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

SkierPete
Have a wonderful time! I'm sure I won't have posted too much while your gone. I'm still trying to work on my photopass stuff too.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: