Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
disneygourmet
Mouseketeer

What is supplied in time share condos

I will be staying in a 3 BR timeshare condo later this month. I have been on time share tours in years past but didn't buy and have never stayed in one before. I am just wondering how well supplied the full kitchens typically are. Should I really expect there to be everything I need to cook meals for my family of 7? I don't want to pack a lot of extras, but also can't afford to go out and buy stuff that I would consider standard. KWIM? Also, towels and linens are all supplied correct? I am assuming that I should be prepared to purchase anything that is consumable - aluminum foil, cleaning supplies, TP, etc... I will call the condo for clarification,also, but am wondering what is usual. TIA.
disneygourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
shalom
DIS Veteran

It depends on where you're at and how seriously they take their kitchens. And how seriously you take your kitchen, for that matter.

In our TS system, the kitchens for the 2 & 3BRs are usually pretty well-supplied by TS standards, but they may or may not have a glass 9x13" pan (if they don't, they'll have a glass 9x9"). A covered bowl or two for the microwave. They'll have a set of pots like you'll find in a department store - fry pan, 1 or 2 sauce pans, 6-qt stock pot, that kind of stuff. Cookie sheets or jelly roll pans, but not both, and they're often in the oven so need to be pulled out if you bake.

Don't expect anything to be teflon, unless someone has bought a teflon fry pan and left it there. Don't expect pie plates, muffin tins or anything like that, although I've seen lots of the more specialized stuff here or there.

The condos we've been in supply TP, paper towels, some DW detergent, a little bottle of dishwashing soap, and enough laundry detergent for one load. They'll have linens - bathroom and kitchen towels, extra bedding for the sleeper sofas, etc. If someone staying there bought some and left it behind, they'll have aluminum foil or plastic wrap or any number of non-standard items.

In our system there's usually a grater, measuring cups, a teapot, an electric can opener, a coffee-maker, a blender and a mixer with three bowls. The bowls may or may not have lids. Spoons and pancake flippers and barbecue stuff should be supplied, however the scrapers are usually the hard kind so I bring along a rubber one myself. Measuring spoons seem more likely to be missing than measuring cups, so if those matter I'd bring some along.

We drive, so I usually bring along at least one 9x13" pan and a big stock pot. My family of seven includes 2 teenage boys - and one teenage girl who outeats both of them - so I want to be sure to have the larger pot and can generally make use of two 9x13" pans if I have them. But I suspect I do a lot more cooking on vacation than most people - I love the opportunity to cook or bake without having to run some kid off to some class or meeting right in the middle of things!

If we were flying I wouldn't bring the metalware but I'd still bring along some repackaged herbs and spices - some people use those 7-day pill thingies for their spices, tucking them into a ziploc bag in the corner of a suitcase in case the compartments pop. If you cook mostly canned stuff or mixes, you don't even need those.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
disneygourmet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
It depends on where you're at and how seriously they take their kitchens. And how seriously you take your kitchen, for that matter.
Your info is very helpful. Thanks. I will be preparing most meals in the condo and don't plan to use a lot of convenience foods. I don't think I will want to bake any pies but a muffin tin and cookie sheets would be nice. I need some more 9X13 pans at home so may buy a couple of those if not in the unit. I will probably take a large crockpot and a supersized skillet. Would you expect to find any Rubbermaid type containers? I assume there are usually complete dinnerware/glassware/flatware sets sufficient for the occupancy level. (?)
Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Most resorts will have some items you can request. Cookie sheets are often missing but available by request. Muffin pans seldom are available, so I carry my own silicon version along. My husband brings his favorite knife and omelette pan.

I bring a few extra dishwasher tabs. If you eat in a lot, they never seem to supply enough. I also bring laundry detergent and dryer sheets. At best you can expect a couple of each.

Few of the resorts have Rubbermaid type storage stuff. I bring my own along with aluminum foil to cover bowls. We have cooked Christmas dinner in a timeshare, but we had to ask for more large pots and pans.

You'll get enough dinnerware and silver for the max occupancy, but some have nothing extra. Bowls and spoons always seem to be what we run out of first. I guess we could take disposables, but we either handwash a few items or run the dishwasher more often.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygourmet View Post
Your info is very helpful. Thanks. I will be preparing most meals in the condo and don't plan to use a lot of convenience foods. I don't think I will want to bake any pies but a muffin tin and cookie sheets would be nice. I need some more 9X13 pans at home so may buy a couple of those if not in the unit. I will probably take a large crockpot and a supersized skillet. Would you expect to find any Rubbermaid type containers? I assume there are usually complete dinnerware/glassware/flatware sets sufficient for the occupancy level. (?)
If you are referring to the type you would use for leftovers; mine doesn't. We usually just purchase the take and toss kind from ziploc for $4. I have never had to bring anything but that. Mine has a blender, toaster, silverware and everything else my kitchen at home has. The convenience is just wonderful, IMHO.

Which condo are you referring to? People might be able to give more specific info if they have experience there.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
disneygourmet
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=ccgirl;38549563]
Which condo are you referring to? People might be able to give more specific info if they have experience there.[/QUOTE

Florida Vacation Villas Club I. I posted a few days ago trying to get info on the resort, but no replies.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Would you expect to find any Rubbermaid type containers? I assume there are usually complete dinnerware/glassware/flatware sets sufficient for the occupancy level. (?)
I would not expect to find any containers to store leftovers in. Some places we've been, the steel bowls for the mixer had lids and could be used that way, and once in a while there are some storage containers someone else has purchased and left there, but not usually. As someone else said, the Glad limited use jobbies work pretty well.

There should be complete dinnerware/glassware/flatware sets sufficient for occupancy level; if there aren't and you're in a condo, you should be able to get them on request. Most places we've been that sleep eight have only table and chairs for six, though, and some places that sleep ten have only table and chairs for eight. And when there are enough chairs and a table-like surface for everyone, that's counting a couple of stools at a counter.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=disneygourmet;38551894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Which condo are you referring to? People might be able to give more specific info if they have experience there.[/QUOTE

Florida Vacation Villas Club I. I posted a few days ago trying to get info on the resort, but no replies.
Never heard of them. Do they have a website? Sometimes they list what is included on there. You can also check trip advisor. I get a lot of reviews from there. Good luck and have fun! I Love the convenience of a kitchen.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

I hate to hijack, but I've been wondering the same thing about Wyndham Cypress Palms. We are booked there for April, but I couldn't find a list on their website about what is included in the kitchen. I would assume the basics, but I just wondered if there was a blender. We're in a 2BR.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Detailor
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ccgirl;38559274]
Quote:

Never heard of them. Do they have a website? Sometimes they list what is included on there. You can also check trip advisor. I get a lot of reviews from there. Good luck and have fun! I Love the convenience of a kitchen.
It's in Kissimmee on North Poinciana Boulevard somewhere near Lake Cecile.

OP: I'd suggest calling the resort with your question about kitchen equipment and condo supplies.
Generally, you'll get the basics: Pots, pans, bowls, table settings for the minimum number of occupants (if it's a two-bedroom unit set up to sleep six privately and eight non-privately using the living sofa bed then you'd have plates, glasses, coffee cups, flatware for six in most resorts), refrigerator, microwave, stove, coffee maker and filters, toaster, blender, normal kitchen prep tools, dishwasher, dishwasher detergent, kitchen towels, washer/dryer and at least a single use supply of detergent, at least one roll of paper towels, trash bags; in the bathrooms usually at least a box of facial tissues and at least a couple of rolls of toilet paper, towels and washcloths and, sometimes, pool towels for the unit (some resorts don't stock pool towels in the units but hand them out at the pools). There will be sheets/pillow cases, blankets and bedspreads for all the beds and usually there will be a few extra blankets. There also should be an iron/ironing board, vacuum cleaner, broom and dustpan and laundry basket.
I'm probably forgetting some other basics but my message is that you should expect a rather full compliment of basic needs.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
disnee4mygirls
Mouseketeer

We always drive so we take a storage tub full of stuff we might night. We have little ones so we take plastic everything-cups, bowls, cooking utensils, and we also take our own pans (skillet and cookie sheet-most places we have went only had cheap cookie sheets that everything sticks to). I cannot for the life of me cook in a pan that doesn't have the nonstick surface. We also take our own laundry detergent and spices such as pepper and salt and also take our own butter and sweetner and coffee. We have pretty much found everything else we needed already available at 'most' timeshares we have stayed at.....

disnee4mygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
disneygourmet
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Detailor;38559993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post

OP: I'd suggest calling the resort with your question about kitchen equipment and condo supplies.
Dick Taylor
I did call once once I had an opportunity to during their business hours. I wasn't given a list of specific items and I didn't ask. The person who I spoke to indicated that it should contain all of the basics and with the info everyone has shared with what is typical, I don't need a complete rundown. I couldn't find that info on their website either.
Like I previously stated, this is my first condo stay and I wanted to make sure I wasn't making false assumptions about what to expect Thanks to everyone for all the help.