Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

CHEAP but decent hotel ideas near Universal?

My husband and I may try and take a quick 3 day trip to Orlando next month to go to Universal Studios. We would be on a VERY limited budget. Any ideas for a super cheap yet decent hotel near US that provides a shuttle or is walking distance?? Im clueless about anything that's not on disney property! :D

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I stayed at the Sheraton Studio City which is .5 miles from US/IOA. I got it on Hotwire for $52/night. I limited the search area to Universal and picked a 3*. Hotel was very nice and I would stay there again.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at the 3* Hyatt Place across from Universal for $35/nt thru Priceline. It's a very nice, clean place that includes a free continental breakfast and shuttle to US/IOA. It's also walking distance from US/IOA, but it is a bit of a hike.
Gr8t Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Purseval
DIS Veteran

If you bid on a 3* through Priceline you should pay somewhere between $30-40/night depending on the time of year. I know of many people who got the Hyatt for $30, I got the Sheraton Four Points for $22 using a $10/day Priceline reward. There are also some 2.5 star hotels nearby I would try $20-30 for them.
Purseval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

We stayed at LaQuinta on Major Blvd in 2008. I was able to find some promo codes online and we booked an Executive Queen Room (2 queen beds, fridge, microwave) for $55 a night. They also had free continental breakfast & a daily shuttle to/from Universal. It was a pretty nice place for the money.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Is Hotwire like Priceline? I've never bid on one of those types of sites before. I'd be nervous about getting a dump!

And if I booked a hotel thru Hotwire, how would I know if they have a free shuttle to US? Would it be listed in the Ammenities?

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

Last edited by klwdisney; 02-08-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added another question
klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
taliategan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
Is Hotwire like Priceline? I've never bid on one of those types of sites before. I'd be nervous about getting a dump!

And if I booked a hotel thru Hotwire, how would I know if they have a free shuttle to US? Would it be listed in the Ammenities?
If you bid 3* or higher on either site, you are not likely to get a bad hotel. Check the list of probable hotels on betterbidding.com for Priceline and Hotwire in the Universal area. There is no way on Priceline to tell if your hotel will have a shuttle or be within walking distance. Hotwire listings will only indicate shuttles to the airport - it will not list a shuttle to any parks on the listing. With Hotwire, through betterbidding.com or other similar sites it may be possible to identify the hotel through the sites listings or making a post on that site to identify a listing. If you are able to identify the hotel, you can then check with the hotel to see if it has shuttles, the frequency of its shuttle service and the distance from the parks if you want to walk. Hotwire has the benefit of possibly knowing what you are purchasing before you make the purchase, but its prices are generally a little higher than Priceline.
taliategan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

entertainment book??

If you have an entertainment book you can get great rates through their online booking or direct call.

Closest non on site hotels are Holiday inn and Doubletree

On windhover which is walkable but too far after a day in the parks are a Hampton inn, Windhover and another hotel I can't remember. They all share a shuttle to US/IOA and also have shuttles to Disney. I stayed at Hampton and got a decent rate through their website in June. i think I paid 75 a night which I thought was good for summer season.

Good luck!

~~Amy~~ Lexi Baby
~~Jeff~~ Mickey
WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW POP Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum Trip July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014, April 2014-2015 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014 WWOHP DA July 2014 DLR/WDW Wedding/Disneymoon Oct. 2014

Long Term Goal is to stay at all Disney Hotels...so far I've been to.....
All Star Movies-1, All Star Music-1, Pop-1, Coronado Springs-1, Animal Kingdom Lodge -2, Disneyland Hotel-1, Paradise Pier-3
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I was a long time Hotwire user using betterbidding.com,I must have booked the Comfort Suites on Turkey lake rd a couple of dozen times through them as low as $24, as well as dozens of other hotels.I stopped using Hotwire for a while as some of the hotels I was used to getting stopped showing up,like the Comfort Suites.I tried Priceline name your own price once and got a great hotel for a great deal,so I tried them again using the same location and 2.5 star level to see if I would get it again,the second time instead of getting one of the 2 hotels listed on Betterbidding at 2.5 stars in that location,both of which are hotels I know I would like they instead "upgraded" me to a 3 star hotel which is far and away not as good a hotel as the 2.5 star ones,I just recently tried it again and ended up getting the same hotel again.This whole upgrading thing just makes using betterbidding worthless since you don't know if you're going to get one of the hotels at the star level you requested,also I feel this "3 star" hotel is obviously being used as a way to make buyers feel they're getting an upgrade when in reality is not one.I don't know if I'll be using priceline through their name your own price anymore,I'm going back to Hotwire or if anyone knows anything about Travelocity's Top secret hotels maybe I'll give them a try.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
dgr1973
DIS Veteran

Check out travelzoo.com, they have a deal right now for the Clarion Lake Buena Vista for 39.00 per night. We stayed there last year and thought it was pretty nice, no breakfast though. They do have shuttles to Universal but I don't know much about it because we rented a car. I know their website lists the times for the shuttles to give you an idea how often they run.
dgr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The hotels in the Major Blvd. area are the closest. The La Quinta is a two star and is just fine. We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and although is is the furthest away in that area, it is still nice. There are shuttles from these hotels.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
crazelion
Form feet and legs...form arms and body...and I'll form...THE HEAD!
Why did the monsters at the end of "Voltron" always get killed by the Blazing Sword?

I stay at the Residance Inn on Universal Blvd for 49.00 a night with a travelzoo speical. The hotel was excellent but would not recommend it not having a car.

Thank You GumpyPirate
crazelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

es checking Travelzoo canyeild some good deals we stayed at Springhill Suites on Universal Drive for $49 a n ight it was clean and pleasant and had breakfast.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
marleygirl
Earning My Ears

You can't get wrong with a Hyatt place as far as a hotel is concerned.
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
allknowingeye
Earning My Ears

I really the Shearton Four Points up by Universal, one of my favorite hotels in the area.
allknowingeye is offline   Reply With Quote