Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

mvf-m11c birthday Live TR at WDW on Dec 10-17, 2010

I just concluded my trip this month October 1 - 3, 2010 during the first Mickey's Halloween Party weekend at DLR. This was the first time DL had a exclusive party just like MNSSHP and MVMCP at WDW. And my cast had a great time to attend a party exclusively only to party guests only. I have read from other DISers on the exclusive parties at WDW and I have plan this as a WDW party. I thought that this was the first year DL is doing a party and have to clear out the non-MHP guests, I thought DL did a good job. I don't know how good WDW is clearing out guests until I see it on a MVMCP day.

Now I am planning my pre-trip for December 10 - 17, 2010 during the Holiday season at WDW.

Cast: Me Bret 28 and my DA Fae 58

This will be my 2nd trip to WDW this year (March 26 - April 3rd, 2010) and my 7th time coming back to WDW. This will be my DA 1st trip to WDW this year and she has been to WDW in 2001.

Our trip is not until the 2nd week of December. This will be my 2nd trip to WDW this year and it will be the first time for me to go during the Holiday season. For all the times I have gone to WDW, I have went during Spring Break season and Summer time. Mostly I go to DL during the Holiday season in December for my birthday. It is always a magical time at DL and I have read and heard about how great the Holiday season at WDW is so I decided to go this year to WDW instead of DL. When I was at WDW back in March/April my family took two bumps on United Airlines going to Orlando from Sacramento. We took the first bump from Los Angeles and we went to DL for an unexpected day March 26, 2010. We stayed at Los Angeles until midnight when we went to Chicago. Than during on that Saturday morning, we took another bump from Chicago to Orlando. Than this is how I am going back to WDW during the Holiday season. I have been looking forward to go to WDW during the Holiday season, but my family has no time, so I asked my DA if she wanted to come with me and was glad to come with me to WDW this December. This will be my DA 2nd time to come to WDW since 2001. She went with me and my family during that year when we stayed at the Contemporary Hotel.

We will be flying from Sacramento to Los Angeles first thing in the morning around 6 am. It will be around one hour to get to LAX airport. Than we will be leaving LAX airport around 10 am and head straight to Orlando. It will take around 5 hours to get to Orlando airport. We should get there around 6 pm eastern time. Than when we get to Orlando we will get our rental car at Alamo and head on over to our hotel during our stay. We should be at our hotel around 7-8pm and than get settled in.

We will be staying at Sheraton Vistana Resort just right across from the Highway 4 of the WDW property. We are staying here on a timeshare from my dads points. I stayed at the Venetian Bay resort in Kissimmee just a few miles from the WDW resort and now we are only less than one mile from the WDW property. It is like a vacation resort and we went to see the resort when we were there in March/April. My dad was so impressed with the resort and was sold to use some of his timeshares at this place for my DA and I. I am so excited to be staying at a nice resort and hope everything goes well during our stay.

We are planning on going to the parks for 5 days of our trip and will be doing a lot of different activities at WDW. We are also planning on going to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure to see Harry Potter World. I am kind of excited to see HP World. I am using my Premier AP that I have upgraded at DL and I was kind of disappointed with my Premier when I used it at DL. The pass wouldn't show my picture on the computer screen, couldn't get FP and had to wait for the manager to give me my merchandise discount. I hope that at WDW will be fine than at DL. My DA will be using one of my dad's MYW tickets that he has bought back in March/April.

Our goal for that week will be attending MVMCP on Sunday December 12, 2010 and seeing Holiday Wishes Fireworks, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, and all the decorations during the party. Also seeing HP world at Islands of Adventure. We will be doing the Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour on Saturday December 11 on my birthday. And of course all the parks at the WDW and see all the nighttime shows (Wishes, DEP, Illuminations, & F!).

Plan

Saturday: MK and the Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour, DHS at night and watch F!.

Sunday: MK during MVMCP event night

Monday: EPCOT

Tuesday: DHS

Wednesday: Island of Adventure & MK at night

Thursday: AK and EPCOT at night.

Dining at WDW property

Satuday: Dinner @ ESPN Zone at 10pm to watch Heat at Kings game.

Monday: Lunch @ Coral Reef at 12pm

Tuesday: Dinner @ ESPN Zone at 8pm to watch Kings at Thunder game.

Wednesday: Dinner @ Plaza Restaurant at 5pm

Thursday: Dinner @ Via Napoli at 5pm

I will keep planning on my October trip and than the WDW trip in December. I will be using Ridemax for the whole entire trip to WDW.

Please feel free to say something about my trip in less than six weeks.

Thank you

Bret

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 12-14-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Lucky you ~ you're making great use of your PAP - when we return to Orlando I hope to visit US ~ HP *so you'll have to let me know what you think of your visit there. I love that you've planned some meals around games *something my BIL would do.

We had lunch at The Plaza last year ~ it was nice. I really enjoyed our Epcot meals ~ Tepen Edo, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown *really liked R&C - we were outside during the fireworks on water thing **we had Free Dining - otherwise I'm not sure any of those would've happened.

Have fun!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma81 View Post
Lucky you ~ you're making great use of your PAP - when we return to Orlando I hope to visit US ~ HP *so you'll have to let me know what you think of your visit there. I love that you've planned some meals around games *something my BIL would do.

We had lunch at The Plaza last year ~ it was nice. I really enjoyed our Epcot meals ~ Tepen Edo, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown *really liked R&C - we were outside during the fireworks on water thing **we had Free Dining - otherwise I'm not sure any of those would've happened.

Have fun!
Thx DisneyMomma81, I will let you know of my visit during the Holiday season at WDW. I am just so excited to go to WDW in two months.

Thx for your details on The Plaza restaurant. It is a standard restaurant and I always wanted to try that place ever since I have went to WDW. I wanted to to have dinner at Le Cellier restaurant at EPCOT, but when it was time to call WDW for reservation around a half a year, they said that they don't have any seating available. I was kind of shock that Le Cellier was already full. But I can understand it is one of the most popular restaurants at the WDW resort. But maybe they can take a walk up if someone cancels at the last second. Its a long shot, but it won't hurt.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Nala83
Mouseketeer

Hey, I'll be there at the same time. (Well, off by a day- 12/9-12/16!) I too am looking forward to my first holiday experience at WDW.

I actually think we are "travel twins." This is my second trip to WDW this year, I went last spring, and I went to DLR for Halloween Time. Oh, and I have a Premier pass too. Weird, huh?!?

I haven't checked Ridemax yet. Are the dates up? I'm using Tour Guide Mike for the big picture planning, but I think I'll get Ridemax to create my touring plans.

Happy planning!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Bret:
I liked the Vistana resort. I stayed there and took the shuttle to WDW. It's a nice resort but I'm an on property convert now. I'm dissapointed you can't take advantage of EMH, but oh well.

How are you going to get around? Rental I'm guessing.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala83 View Post
Hey, I'll be there at the same time. (Well, off by a day- 12/9-12/16!) I too am looking forward to my first holiday experience at WDW.

I actually think we are "travel twins." This is my second trip to WDW this year, I went last spring, and I went to DLR for Halloween Time. Oh, and I have a Premier pass too. Weird, huh?!?

I haven't checked Ridemax yet. Are the dates up? I'm using Tour Guide Mike for the big picture planning, but I think I'll get Ridemax to create my touring plans.

Happy planning!
Sry for not responding, I have done a last second trip to DL just last weekend and I forgot to update my WDW PTR. I can't believe that you are close to my dates at WDW this Holiday season. The Holiday season at DL will always be my favorite no matter what, but I am also looking forward to the Holiday season at WDW.

Yea I would say the same thing that we are "travel twins" since we went to WDW during spring time, went to DL during the Halloween season and also have the premier pass.

I know that it has been 2/3 since you posted and right now Ridemax is up to mid January. I like to use Ridemax for the ride planning, but as a DL Vet, it is completely different experience at WDW than DL.

Hope u have a good trip next month and I might see u there during my visit. If you do, I will have my LGMH on my WDW backpack during my visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Bret:
I liked the Vistana resort. I stayed there and took the shuttle to WDW. It's a nice resort but I'm an on property convert now. I'm dissapointed you can't take advantage of EMH, but oh well.

How are you going to get around? Rental I'm guessing.
Thx Matt, after seeing the resort this Spring I am very looking forward to be staying at this resort. I remember that they do have shuttles to the WDW resort, but I am not planning on using the shuttles from the Sheraton Vistana to the park since I am renting a car for the whole trip. Good thing I have the Premier AP since I can get free parking just like the DLR. It is disappointing of not to use EMH at WDW, but I haven't stayed on property since 2001 when I was staying at the Contemporary Resort. But I am planning very hard of what days to go to which park when it is not crowded during my visit.

Yes, I am renting a car during my visit next month. Since my DA and I are going to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure to see Harry Potter Land. And we could use the car to go to the outlet stores in Orlando.

I can't believe I am only less than three weeks away to WDW.

Just like the Tree and Wreath Quest game at DL that we are playing on DL Christmas thread, I will do the same thing at WDW. I will also post the pics on my DL thread.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Saturday: MK and the Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour, DHS at night and watch F!.

Sunday: MK during MVMCP event night

Monday: EPCOT

Tuesday: DHS

Wednesday: Island of Adventure & MK at night

Thursday: AK and EPCOT at night.

Dining at WDW property

Satuday: Dinner @ ESPN Zone at 10pm to watch Heat at Kings game.

Monday: Lunch @ Coral Reef at 12pm

Tuesday: Dinner @ ESPN Zone at 8pm to watch Kings at Thunder game.

Wednesday: Dinner @ Plaza Restaurant at 5pm

Thursday: Dinner @ Via Napoli at 5pm

Bret
Bret:
I haven't checked any maybe you are already aware of this and maybe stuck with your ADRs. On the WDW thread people are always bringing up touring plans. A simple tip is if you stay offsite and can't participate in EMH, avoid the parks that have EMH that day, in particular if it's in the pm. Did you do this? I hope you like Via Napoli, I've heard good things.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I'm just less than two weeks away till my first Holiday trip to WDW and after my DL trip last week Nov. 18-20 it just keeps getting more excited by the day. I am very looking forward to the Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour and MVMCP.

Quote:
Bret:
I haven't checked any maybe you are already aware of this and maybe stuck with your ADRs. On the WDW thread people are always bringing up touring plans. A simple tip is if you stay offsite and can't participate in EMH, avoid the parks that have EMH that day, in particular if it's in the pm. Did you do this? I hope you like Via Napoli, I've heard good things.
Yes, Matt. I have use touringplans.com to plan my days at WDW. When I look at the days during my trip, the highest crowd levels on touringplans.com is Saturday Dec. 11 on my birthday, and Wednesday Dec. 15. I also look on the calender and I'm not going to any of the parks that has an EMH on those days. I learned from my last trip during EMH days where it does get crowded with the guests who are staying on-site who get to use the EMH. I heard about Via Napoli being a great Italian restaurant that just opened. I barely eat at a lot of sit down restaurants at WDW especially I mostly eat off-site where it is far cheaper. I am looking forward to this restaurant during my trip as well as the Coral Reef.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Here is my plan on Saturday Dec. 11. I will be using ridemax for the plan and I will be attending the Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour on that day. This is actually my birthday day and I will be 29 on that day.

7:00am - Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains tour

Than from what the reports said that the tour should end around 10am, I will start my first event at WDW at 10:15am. Also when I am at the MK, I will also be taking pictures of the Holiday decorations around the park and also take pictures of the trees and wreaths at the park. We DISers on the DL thread have been doing Tree and Wreath Quest game on the disney at Christmas thread. It was very fun to look for the trees and wreaths at the DLR. I am very looking forward to find the trees and wreaths at the MK.

10:15am - Mickey's PhilharMagic

10:43am - Hall of Presidents

11:22am - Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor

11:59am - Tomorrowland Transit Authority

After the TTA, I will take a break and get a snack at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe.

12:40pm - Carousel of Progress

Than after the CoP, I will head back to the hotel and rest up for a few hours until we head on over to DHS.

Than my DA and I will head back to the WDW resort and go to DHS. The main objective of going to DHS later that night is to see F!. Even though WDW F! is almost the same as DL, I like the seating area for DHS F!, but F! at DL will always be my favorite. The show we are considering seeing is the 6:30pm F! that night. And from my past trip during my March/April 2010 trip I had to wait 2 hours for a center row spot. I would guess that I only would have to wait 1-2 hours for a center row especially it is not during Spring Break.

4:00pm - Get to DHS

4:15pm - Walt Disney: One Man's Dream

5:00pm - Get to the F! Stadium area and get ready for the 6:30pm F!.

6:30pm - F!

After F!, I will head on over to see The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. My DA and I will be there until the park closes around 8pm and take pictures of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Streets of America and take any more pictures with Holiday decorations.

Than when we leave around 8:15 from DHS, we will head on over to DTD and do a little browsing at the stores.

Than around 9pm, we will head on over to the Boardwalk Hotel and have dinner at the ESPN Club. We will plan on getting in around 9:45 so my DA and I could watch the game between Miami Heat and Sacramento Kings at Sacramento. It is a 10pm game out in Orlando, while back at home it is 7pm. Talk about a big difference in time when you live on the east coast and the west coast. My DA and I are season ticket holders for the Sacramento Kings and were disappointed that we won't get to see the Heat with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh come to town. But it will be interesting to watch the game from the ESPN Club. The ESPN Zone at DL is great place for us to watch sports games while we are looking forward at the ESPN Club. If the game goes around 2 to 2 1/2 hours, it will be past midnight and on Sunday.

Than after the game we will head on back to our hotel and rest up for tomorrow. I will write my plan later during the week. I need some advice of what I should do on this day. I am not planning on going on any intense rides (actually roller coasters) and going on any rides or shows that are at DL. I know that some of the rides and shows are completely different from both resorts, but I want to do the other rides that we don't have at DL.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 12-01-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

We stayed on-site *POP* and didn't go to any parks that had EMH *we purposely avoided them

Enjoy your WDW holiday!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

When I did all my planning for Saturday, it was a tough decision of what to do for the nighttime events. I was planning on seeing the Heat vs Kings game at 10pm no matter what. I can't do MK that night since Wishes was at 10 and DEP at 9 & 11. I was thinking of doing Illuminations on that day since it started at 9:30 and I could walk from EPCOT over to the Boardwalk. But we might just get there barely or miss part of the game. So DHS was the only option which was the 6:30pm F! show that night. With all that extra time, we could stay in DHS and see The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights after F!. Than we could go to DTD and do a little bit of browsing than head on over to the Boardwalk for dinner at the ESPN Club.

I know on touringplans.com that is one of the two parks to avoid on that day. I was planning on avoiding the days when it is during EMH at WDW, but the good thing about it at DHS is only in the morning while other days can be at night. But with little time to go to the ESPN Club for the game, it was the only option or don't do any nighttime events until the game. I was planning on seeing Wishes, Holiday Wishes, MOUaC Parade, DEP, Illuminations, & F! during the trip.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Next is Sunday Dec. 12. My DA and I will not be planning on going to the parks that day until MVMCP at 6pm. We will need some rest from Saturday night since we will be watching the Kings game from the ESPN Club. I might go into AK or EPCOT on Sunday morning if I do feel up to. My DA might want to rest up so I might go solo into the park for a few hours and come back to the hotel. I will decide on Sunday night if I want to go to the parks first thing in the morning or don't. But later in the afternoon, we can use the time to do things around Orlando like the outlet mall or DTD.

Here is my plan during MVMCP.

6:00pm - Get to the park when the MVMCP guests are allowed in.

From my experienced during MHP at DL Oct. 1-3 (Mickey's Halloween Party). The first few hours of the party is really intense with the regular guests who are in the park and the ticket holders for the exclusive event. I have never seen a madhouse with the regular guests and the ticket holders in the park at the same time. But when DL did a good job of getting out the non-ticket holders, I would expect the same thing when I go to the MK during MVMCP. So I am planning on not getting to the MK two hours after the park lets the ticket holders in. Since my DA and I have done part of the rides we want to do on Saturday. There is no rush to go on any rides during the party so we will enjoy ourselves until the nighttime events start.

When we get to the park we will go on rides that are not that very crowded before the non-ticket holders leave around 7-8pm.

7:30pm - I am planning on getting a good spot for the first parade at 8:15pm. The spot I am planning on seeing the parade is around from Casey's Corner. I know that around Casey's Corner and the Plaza restaurant is a good spot to see the fireworks at night. I think that this is very early especially during a party but I have seen guests showed up one hour for the parade during MHP.

8:15pm - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade

Go around the MK and check-out the treat stations.

9:00pm - I will get a spot right next to Casey Corner and Plaza Restaurant for the 9:30pm fireworks.

9:30pm - Holiday Wishes Fireworks

After the fireworks, I will possibly do some rides around the MK until we will finished up around 11:00pm and call it for the night. We will go around the park and try out the Holiday treats, Disney characters, and the stores with the special event merchandise. We will also do a few rides that night. But not too many since we would do those rides during our visit.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

On Monday here is my plan using ridemax at EPCOT. I'm planning on getting at EPCOT parking lot around 8:30am so we could get there when the park opens.

9:05am - Test Track

9:25am - Runner get Soarin FPs mostly me. I was not planning on going on Soarin since it is the same as DCA, but my DA wants to see the queue for Soarin. So I will do that for her and put Soarin in our plan.

9:30am - Meet my DA at Spaceship Earth

10:00am - Seas with Nemo and Friends

10:15am - Living with the Land

After LwtL, we will head on over to World Showcase and see all the Holiday decorations of each pavilion.

11:20am - Soarin using FP

11:50am - Gran Fiesta Tour

12:00pm - Maelstrom

12:40pm - Head back over to Future World and go to the Coral Reef for Lunch

12:50pm - Coral Reef Restaurant

After lunch, we will head on over back to our hotel and rest up. Than go back to EPCOT for Illuminations.

Get to EPCOT around 7pm before we go and eat somewhere off site.

8:30pm - Get a spot right by Showcase Plaza. I'm not planning on getting right by the rail since I am going to be using my Tripod for the show and want to be in the back.

9:30pm - Illuminations

Than go back to the hotel and call it for the night.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #14
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Bret, I'd try Space in MK, or at least see the que and then leave before boarding. They revamped it a year ago and it has games to play while you wait. Also maybe country bears. HM has a big difference you should see for yourself too.

People really like the TSM que also, it's off course in doors so it's decorated. You will find nice picture opportunities there.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #15
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret, I'd try Space in MK, or at least see the que and then leave before boarding. They revamped it a year ago and it has games to play while you wait. Also maybe country bears. HM has a big difference you should see for yourself too.

People really like the TSM que also, it's off course in doors so it's decorated. You will find nice picture opportunities there.
When I went to WDW in March, the queue for SM was nice and I tried some of the games while I was waiting. I wished that SM at the MK would add a sound system for the ride just like at DL. It's just not the same when I ride SM at the MK just like DL. My DA is not willing to ride any roller coasters during our trip and I have already rode SM in March. It is nice, but not as better as DL. We were planning on see Country Bears since DL took it out for Winnie the Pooh Adventures. I really like the house of the HM at MK and part of the ride at the MK HM is different than DL HM. I wish that it would install the Christmas decorations just like DL HMH.

I was thinking of doing TSMM at DHS, but I am not planning on being in a line for more than 30 min. If I do go on TSMM, I would get a FP for the ride and I am not going to be one of those guests who will rush over to TSMM. I know that DHS TSMM can go as long as 2+ hours without a FP. That is scary to wait that long, but luckily DCA is not that long even on a busy day. I would like to see the queue for TSMM and the games are just the same as DCA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: