Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #136
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
We had dinner at Tony's on our last night. I'd tell you what we thought of it, but instead I'll save it for later in the TR, leaving everyone waiting in breathless anticipation! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Oooo, suspense.

Quote:
In any case, this was Sunday morning, and we wanted to try and make it to the Rope Drop ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, so their early-morning habits weren't quite as irritating. We munched on some Pop-Tarts and Colon Blow for breakfast, and Julie brewed some coffee in the room so we wouldn't be subjected to the normal Disney Nescrap-e.

Side note: we had an RN at work download a Colon Blow ad onto all of our computers at work. Needless to say the poor fella got a harsh talking to.

Quote:
My excitement quickly waned, however, when I found out that It's a Small World was closed for refurbishment. Here I am, showing my profound disappointment:

IASW is my favorite but only at Disneyland so you are forgiven.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #137
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Some day, in the next decade or two, I will need to get the kids up early for something. They'll whine and mope and I'll struggle to get them out of bed, and I'll look back on these days with fondness, when they were up at the crack of dawn every day.
We're already there with Madison. Kindergarten starts at 7:40, so DW is pulling her out of bed at 7:00. Evan is up at 6:00, playing in his room and singing at the top of his lungs.

Quote:
We made it to the Magic Kingdom with about 10 minutes to spare. Good thing, too, because the show started a few minutes early. It's a pretty cool ceremony. The best part is when the train pulls into the station with all the characters aboard. DIS Dads Man Law...UPHELD.
Nice Job. We've been close a few times, and gotten there at other parks, but never quite made RD at Magic Kingdom. At least we get there before Tim.
Quote:
(Thanks FreezinRafiki for the Photoshop work)

Quote:
We wanted to head straight for Fantasyland to do those rides before the lines got bad. But we took an extremely necessary detour into the Main St. Bakery to use up some snack credits on cinnamon rolls. Those things ain't gonna eat themselves, you know. 2 rolls were easily enough to feed my family.
{feverishly scribbling something on my December "must-do" list}

Quote:
Scotty refused to wear the glasses once the show started. And Dave cowered in his seat, hands over his ears. I asked what was wrong. "It's too loud," he whimpered. "I really don't like this, Daddy..." A tear fell down his cheek.
I didn't know we were doing commercials too! Crying Indian in the pollution commercial.
Don't worry, soon enough those greedy little children will be reaching out and trying to grab all of those floating jewels. Not like mine do or anything. I've heard. Really.

Quote:
Once outside, the boys seemed ok. They seemed to have an aversion to dark places with loud noises. I guess I can't blame a 6- and a 4-year-old for that. "Who wants to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures?" I asked. All I got was a withering look from Mrs. Oblivious.
Is that what that was? I was wondering why I got a chill up my spine that day. And all the way up in Wisconsin. Mrs. Oblivious has some pretty good range on her evil eye.

Quote:
Peter Pan had a 30-minute wait, so we went for FastPasses. And it was our lucky day! Not only did we get them, but we each got a SURPRISE FASTPASS for Philharmagic! For some reason, David wasn't as excited as me.
We got surprise FPs for Philharmagic once from Pooh's ride. I was walking back to Pinocchio's to rejoin my family and looked over at Philiharmagic. 5 minute wait, empty stroller parking. Score.

Quote:
Still, his hands flew to his ears as soon as we plunged into the Bat-cave.
You though the amp at Philharmagic was loud? This one goes to 12.

Quote:
I got the big burger with the onion rings on it, because as we all know, calories don't count on vacation.
Greasy burger and onion rings on top of cinnamon roll? Now we're talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Nice photoshopping there Barry!!!!
Thank you. That means a lot coming from my nemesis.
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #138
mom2AandL
Earning My Ears

man you guys are up late! I knew some of the quotes though. I should at least get a thumbs up.

My boys are early risers too. It's great during the week but not so much on the weekends. At least on the weekends they get up and play and let us sleep/lay in bed a little bit before breakfast.

I fear my youngest will give me the hardest time about rides. He did want to go on a lot of them at Dutch Wonderland so maybe that is a start. Our oldest (4.5) loves rides and didnt want to get off the roller coaster. I am hoping he will be my partner in crime for most of the rides.

loving the trip report, can't wait to read the rest.
months

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #139
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Subscribing. I'll be back later to catch up.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #140
Belle_princess
DIS Veteran

I have only started to read your TR, but I LOVE it! I just wanted to say hi. I hope to catch up soon and then start earning my Movie Quote points. . .as I'm a big movie buff, too.

Pin Trading, Pineapple Bars, and Italian Wine, OH MY! September 2010 TR

All-Star Music- Girls' Trip 2010 Pre-Trip Report
Cornado Springs- Birthday Trip November 2008 Pre-Trip Report Never finished TR
Caribbean Beach- August 2002
All-Star Movies- College Graduation May 2002
Dixie Landings-July 1992
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #141
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
We went for lunch at Pecos Bill's instead. I got the big burger with the onion rings on it, because as we all know, calories don't count on vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
How 'bout this jem at the Big E this year... big fair in Springfield, MA..
Taken from LINK HERE

Meet the 1,500-calorie 'Craz-E Burger': beef patty, bacon and cheese on Krispy Kreme donut

Talk about a heart-stopper.

The donut burger - a bacon cheeseburger with a buttered Krispy Kreme glazed donut standing in for a bun - is becoming a hit on the fair circuit and among some far-out foodies.

Amusingly, the heart-stopping sandwich was sold just outside the West Springfield agricultural fair's "Better Living Center."

Pioneered in the South and popularized by Food Network host Paula Deen, it was a big hit at this year's Big E fair in Massachusetts. Fairgoers bought about 1,000 "Craz-E Burgers" each day of the fair's 17-day run, which ended Sunday, organizers said.

At 1,500 calories per, that adds up to 2.5 million calories worth of sugary, cheesy, bacon-dressed beef - or the creation of an additional 730 pounds of waistline jiggle.

Quote:
Thank you. That means a lot coming from my nemesis.
I know Barry. I know.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #142
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

See what happens when I go to bed early??? I miss out on points!

I'm a big ol' slacker now.

Love the update! I will say that we were one of those groups with a scooter for the first 2 days. DH's grandma is 80 and my MIL thought that she'd be able to handle the scooter.

Uh, yeah, no. Friday night, as we were leaving MK, I was absolutely certain that she was going to drive that thing into Seven Seas Lagoon until my MIL grabbed the handles and forced her to turn the thing!

We had the rental company bring a wheelchair to switch it out on the 3rd morning. That was much easier!

And no, calories don't count on vacation. That's why I was the only one in my family to order the fixed price menu at Les Chefs for lunch.

Anytime we ride something that scares my 8-year-old, she ends up saying "I can't do it, Mommy. I can't do it!" right about the time we are on the ride, ready to go. That's why she always rides with Daddy now.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #143
PennyLane1084
DIS Veteran

I'm totally in on this TR. The titled is what reeled me in. Also being a huge movie buff, I automatic heard Bill Murray voice in my head say "A vacation from my problems" and then giggled to myself as I thought of one of my favorite movies "What about Bob"
2013-DISNEYMOON! - Coronado Springs
DH - Steve Me - Kristin
Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #144
mom of 3 (or 4) boys
Earning My Ears

Just read through...and laughed out loud at your IASW picture! Good times!
Looking forward to more.

Disney trips with the 3 (or 4) boys:
April 99 POR, June 2000 FW Campsites, Jan 2001 FW Campsites, Dec 2004 FW Campsites, Dec 2006 FW Campsites, June 2007 POR, October 2009 ASMv, July 2010 FW Campsites
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #145
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
Airplane!

This is Spinal Tap
+2

And middlepat is on the board! This remains a tight race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Don't call me Shirley = Airplane!

Edited to add: Oh dang, too late. My wife talked to me while I was reading and I couldn't post as quickly as I wanted to.

Well, my only other guess is that Colon Blow is from SNL, but not exactly a movie line.

I totally agree on the scooters messing up the buses. I feel bad for the people, but had to suppress a "Doh!" whenever I saw them get in my line while waiting for a bus.

Also, loved your It's a Small World picture!
+1 Yes indeed, that was an SNL reference. I believe I did say a few TV quotes could be thrown in, and I already used the Grinch earlier. Now tell your wife you have priorities here!

Hopefully Disney can figure out a better system. There will always be people who abuse the system and cause some resentment, but there are also a lot of people who geniunely need help getting around and should be able to enjoy the parks. But as it stands right now, they really hurt the efficiency of the bus system.

That picture appears to have struck a nerve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
PeanutButter!!!
Sorry, Steve, I don't know any movies called "Peanut Butter".

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
I have to say that this is just wrong... IASW is a classic ride that brings all the visitors to the MK together with one common goal... kill those incessant singing dolls!!!!
I forgot to mention that I was holding out hope for the refurbishment to be taking on trennr's idea of turning the ride into It's A Small War. Just add the Buzz Lightyear guns to the boats, and maybe some depth charge effects from the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios, and you'd have an incredibly popular ride. Trennr is a genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Well I'm thinkin' because that was our exact experience on our last trip in Sept. of '08....

A first-time person with a rental scooter + a novice bus driver = scooter-loading H-E-L-L. This definitely needs to be addressed by Disney!
Not that there are any easy answers. A separate bus system designed to accommodate scooters was the best I could come up with.

Quote:
And yet again, I'm thinkin'!.....yep, I saw it in '06 too. Our family has come to fondly refer to it as "Cinderella's Crane."
I like that!

Quote:
Airplane!

I am afraid for Phiharmagic every time I get a "surprise" Fastpass for it dropped out of another Fantasyland attraction....

If you are ever on or within a mile of this ride and hear someone laughing insanely, it's me....in the very last seat.

Best. Ride. Ever.

A man after my own heart!....or, er -- stomach!

Good job spotting the quote there. I couldn't believe how empty Philharmagic was. Maybe it terrorizes lots of other kids, too. I like it, though.

So we both love BTMRR and lots of calories! Good to have something in common!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #146
PennyLane1084
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wrong. And stop calling me Shirley.
This movie quote made me actually laugh out loud
Ahhh Airplane!!

Ok I'm hooked on this TR! Best one I've read in a while.

Trust me, 20 years down the road Little Scotty will laugh about his horrible experience on BTMRR.
2013-DISNEYMOON! - Coronado Springs
DH - Steve Me - Kristin
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #147
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_oblivious View Post
Rocky
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #148
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I think I might have had the same reaction if I saw that IASW was closed while I was there! A classic ride yes, but that song...oh that song just about drives me batty!!!!

LOL...I can't wait to see if you were able to find a way to torture your daughter

Hmmm...I have never eaten at Pesco's Bill! I think I'm going to have to try it one of these days!
Usually if we don't like a ride we'll say something like, "Well, at least it was air-conditioned." For me, IASW is 10 minutes in air conditioning. With that infernal song. If they don't put trennr's guns on the boats, maybe they'll at least hand out a few softballs.

Pecos Bill's is pretty good for counter-service. I think it's the same burgers you get everywhere else, but the onion rings help, and the theming is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
What? Not Super Colon Blow?

AIRPLANE!

This is Spinal Tap! (Loved that movie)

PEANUTBUTTER! I'm going to need a little warning when you post these so I can try to beat the other Dis Dads...
We were afraid Super Colon Blow would be too much for the kids. I hear it causes stomach distension. And I'm always amazed at how quickly people jump on to catch the movie quotes! I'm trying to come up with some more obscure ones to see if they last a little longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
Fwiw, I did the same when I heard it was closed. Oh, and the crane on the castle? They're hanging lights for Christmas. Disney never fails to be proactive! I hear these lights are actually being hung for Christmas 2012.

Lastly, regarding the scooters - I know how you feel. My wife has a handicap placard (two actually) and this year it finally is up for renewal and our doctor gave us the red temporary one instead. Grr... We feel like we're getting judged by other handicap people now because they often take the spots that actual handicap people need. Anyway, the people who don't need it but use it anyway bug me to no end. We bring my wife's personal chair and drive around on our own so we don't clog the system.
Christmas lights, huh? That makes sense. In HS, it looked like the Osborne lights were already up.

It's hard not to be judgmental of other people, but it's important. I kept trying to remind myself that I don't know their circumstances or condition. It's nice to see people like you who are thoughtful of others!

Quote:
ROCKY!!!!!

I know it is a DDC Man Law, but we still haven't made a RD.

Nice photoshopping there Barry!!!!

Kingdom of Heaven

Poor Scotty! I hope he wasn't traumatized for the rest of the trip!
+1 Nice job on Kingdom of Heaven! I wasn't sure if anyone would get that one or not. By the way, if any of you ever see that movie, get the director's cut, not the theatrical version. It's a completely different (and much better) film. Now get to that RD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty3curls View Post
Just joining in...love your TR so far! We just got back last week, so I'm looking forward to reading about your September experiences and seeing how they compare!

Thanks for jumping in! I'll try and check out your TR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Too late to get in on the movie quotes, though Spinal Tap is a classic.

Just had to share that one of my dd's was about your son's age when we first took her on BTMRR. Needless to say she wasn't too thrilled with it and when we were getting off she said "That was the WORST ride in the wilderness!!"

Enjoying your TR .
"So why don't you just make 10 louder?"

My daughter loved BTMRR at 4 years old. She was more daring at that age than either of my boys. But then again, she got a little more skittish than I thought she would be this time around, as we shall soon see.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #149
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
ROCKY!!!!!
Crud and Peanut Butter!!!

Barry...Tim is now my Nemisis too.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #150
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Side note: we had an RN at work download a Colon Blow ad onto all of our computers at work. Needless to say the poor fella got a harsh talking to.

IASW is my favorite but only at Disneyland so you are forgiven.
Aw, come on. Don't they have a sense of humor?

As far as IASW goes...uh, don't read my responses to the other comments.

Quote:
We're already there with Madison. Kindergarten starts at 7:40, so DW is pulling her out of bed at 7:00. Evan is up at 6:00, playing in his room and singing at the top of his lungs.
Hmm. Maybe I should stop complaining and just make more coffee in the morning.

Quote:
Nice Job. We've been close a few times, and gotten there at other parks, but never quite made RD at Magic Kingdom. At least we get there before Tim.

Quote:
{feverishly scribbling something on my December "must-do" list}

I didn't know we were doing commercials too! Crying Indian in the pollution commercial.
Don't worry, soon enough those greedy little children will be reaching out and trying to grab all of those floating jewels. Not like mine do or anything. I've heard. Really.
My rule is, if it involves big gooey cinnamon rolls, chances are that it's something I need to be involved with.

Your kids are younger and already braver than mine. Er, mine are more cautious. Yeah, that sounds better.

Quote:
Is that what that was? I was wondering why I got a chill up my spine that day. And all the way up in Wisconsin. Mrs. Oblivious has some pretty good range on her evil eye.

We got surprise FPs for Philharmagic once from Pooh's ride. I was walking back to Pinocchio's to rejoin my family and looked over at Philiharmagic. 5 minute wait, empty stroller parking. Score.
You have to watch out for the ol' Oblivious Stink-eye. It's powerful. And I'm not really sure what the deal is with Philharmagic, either, since we walked right in. Do they really need to print those Fast Passes?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not getting my cholesterol checked anytime soon. By the way, as I type this I'm chowing down on pepperoni pizza. Hey, why is my left arm numb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AandL View Post
man you guys are up late! I knew some of the quotes though. I should at least get a thumbs up.

My boys are early risers too. It's great during the week but not so much on the weekends. At least on the weekends they get up and play and let us sleep/lay in bed a little bit before breakfast.

I fear my youngest will give me the hardest time about rides. He did want to go on a lot of them at Dutch Wonderland so maybe that is a start. Our oldest (4.5) loves rides and didnt want to get off the roller coaster. I am hoping he will be my partner in crime for most of the rides.

loving the trip report, can't wait to read the rest.
We've told the kids that on weekends, they can go straight downstairs and turn on the Disney Channel. That usually works. For some reason, they still feel the need to come in and announce when they need to use the bathroom.

Scotty started to come around, ever so slightly, later in the week. Every kid is different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Subscribing. I'll be back later to catch up.

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle_princess View Post
I have only started to read your TR, but I LOVE it! I just wanted to say hi. I hope to catch up soon and then start earning my Movie Quote points. . .as I'm a big movie buff, too.

Thanks for joining us! Glad to see more movie ner--uh, buffs around!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: