Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

My uncle worked in a maximum security prison and they kept both the child predators and rapists seperate from the rest of the population. The rapists and child predetors were even segregated from each other. If either of them got into the general population things didn't go well for them.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

nothing as they are put into protective custody. I used to be a jail guard.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
overlyspoiled4sure
Mouseketeer

Works for me, too, if sex offenders don't get treated well in prison. I hope they don't dare sleep for fear of the unknown!! Too bad the taxpayers have to pay for these jerks to get 3 squares a day plus medical care, clothing & a roof over their heads when the families they hurt struggle.
overlyspoiled4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #19
LisaR

So the general consensus seems to be that they are kept isolated from the rest of the prison population. If that is the case, very few are probably in any sort of unpleasant situation, unfortunately.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
CMHusband
Monorail Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
My DH is a Deputy Sheriff but was a correctional officer for 12 years before that. My son is also a correctional officer so they have a fairly good idea of what really happens. Prisoners have a code of honor that they go by. Crimes against women and children are not tolerated. The consensus is that it could have been their mother or daughter, or child. Sex offenders of all types are basically kept in segregation for the duration of their sentence and for court appearances. In PA, at least, the offender is not released into the general population. On the rare occasion that they do get into the general population they are usually severely beaten or worse. I will leave the worse to your imaginations but it is usually on the order of the crime they committed or they are killed by other inmates. Sex offenses are not tolerated by the inmate population.
I love the whole "code of honor" thing in prison. What about the code of honor of regular society? Oh that was different...Guh. Anyhoooo...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
I love the whole "code of honor" thing in prison. What about the code of honor of regular society? Oh that was different...Guh. Anyhoooo...
Yeah, I don't get that either. I always had heard that prisoners were hard on child molesters because so many of them had been molested themselves, which led to messed up lives, which led to them ending up on the wrong side of the law. But that's just what I remember hearing "somewhere."
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #22
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Quote:
I don't agree with the "code" but that is what they live by.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #23
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
Yeah, I don't get that either. I always had heard that prisoners were hard on child molesters because so many of them had been molested themselves, which led to messed up lives, which led to them ending up on the wrong side of the law. But that's just what I remember hearing "somewhere."
Your average inmate wasn't molested according to my son. He actually works the segregation wing at the prison he's assigned to where they house the molesters. The inmates do not like the ones that prey on women and children because they can't protect themselves. A lot of inmates have kids and they all have mothers. In their minds the molesters could have hurt their mothers, or wives/girl friends or kids.

We had a child rapist a year or so ago who was beat up severely by the neighbors who caught him. He was then put in a holding cell with other inmates after he was released from the hospital. He was put back in the hospital in really bad shape. It happened at the facility my son works at. The guy then had a suicide watch put on him because he tried too kill himself when he realized that was going to be his life. He was put in a cell away from the rest of the population. My DS told me that these are some of the most pathetic cry baby's you will ever meet. They also blame their victims which doesn't sit well with the other inmates.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
mousebymarriage
DIS Veteran

There are 3 corrections officers in my family (2 work in NJ, 1 in Fla.) all three of them have said the same thing, prisoners have their own way of handling child molestors. The prisons are full of murderers, drug dealers, rapists, etc. but, the lowest of the low are the child molestors and those who murder children. The other prisoners have their own form of "justice" in general population when it comes to child molestors and child killers.
1990(DH & I first trip together-dating) * 1994(DH & I-now married 6 months)
1997(DD first trip 6 months old)and family
1998(DH, Me & DD)and family
1999(DH, Me & DD)and family
2000(DH, Me & DD)and family
2002(DH, Me , DD, DS first trip 7 months old)and family
2003(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family
2005 April(DH , Me, DD, & DS) * 2005 Oct.(DH & I only)and family/friends Adults only trip
2006(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family 2011(DH,Me,DD, DS)
2007(DH , Me, DD & DS)and family2012(DH, Me, DD, DS, DD's BFF and 2 Dnephews)
2008(Grand Gathering 17 of us)
2010(DH, Me, DD,DS)
mousebymarriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebymarriage View Post
There are 3 corrections officers in my family (2 work in NJ, 1 in Fla.) all three of them have said the same thing, prisoners have their own way of handling child molestors. The prisons are full of murderers, drug dealers, rapists, etc. but, the lowest of the low are the child molestors and those who murder children. The other prisoners have their own form of "justice" in general population when it comes to child molestors and child killers.
But, from the sound of things, the general population rarely interacts with the child molester. While other prisoners may have their own form of justice, it sounds like they have very little opportunity to carry it out.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #26
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
So the general consensus seems to be that they are kept isolated from the rest of the prison population. If that is the case, very few are probably in any sort of unpleasant situation, unfortunately.
It really depends on the state that they are incarcerated in. I know 2 people that have had or had a relative in prison on child molestation charges. One was an elderly man who did 8 years for molesting his grand nephew. This was his 3rd count and second time in prison. He was in general population. I have never asked my friend how his stay was as this was her father and it didn't really seem appropriate to ask.

The second one is a friends step-son. He is currently in prison in general population. He has not had any problems, but he is about 6'3" and 250, so that is probably what has helped him.

Certainly, if a prisoner is targeted in prison, it is not unusual for them to remove the prisoner to segregation for their own protection, but there are plenty of child molester in general population in the state of Connecticut.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #27
Mandy_in_NC
Mouseketeer
My name is Mandy and I am a child of the 80s!! Need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I am always reading on message boards comments like, "put him in with the general population because they take care of child rapists & murderers."

I would love to believe that is the truth but I have never seen any proof of that. Have there been wardens that have confirmed that? Have there even been notorious child rapists in prison that have died under suspicious causes?

I guess I don't put that much faith in the moral compass of the general prison population. They are willing to let the guy slide that rapes and decapitates his own mother but if he does it to an 11 year old, they will make him pay? Maybe I am not giving the general population enough credit but I just don't see them caring that much.

Has TV goaded us into believing this is true or does it honestly happen?

I used to work for the Dept of Corrections so I can speak from experience. Inmates do not like sexual offends of any kind. Most of the time if they find out that you have committed a sexual offence of any kind they will make sure you pay. All of the inmate have mothers some have sisters and some have daughters or sons has the case may be. I always tried to advise my inmates to keep their crimes to themselves but some didn't listen. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't worked in the system and saw the inmate justice system at work. There is some honor among convicts.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #28
browneyes106
DIS Veteran

One of my former co-workers had a wife who worked in a prison here in New Mexico as a nurse and he said that the one of the main reasons sex offenders are segregated from the general population is to avoid any lawsuits that result from those prisoners being attacked, injured or killed from the either the prisoners or the families and another reason for segregation of sex offenders is to better ensure the safety of corrections officers because in the past there were few incidents in which corrections officers were injured trying to breaking fights or attacks involving sex offenders. The prison system adminstrators know that fights will happen for other reasons but they want to prevent dangerous incidents from happening.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #29
boyob13
A five-legged goat in a four-legged world

Quote:
It is a tiny bit redeeming of them to know that they are not complete monsters and they have standards on what they think is wrong. It makes them more humanized than faceless criminals.

Christmas 1996- Shades of Green
March 2002- All-Star Sports
Spring 2006 (DLP)- Newport Bay Club
April 2009- Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010- POP Century
April 2011 (DLP)- Offsite
December 2011- Contemporary/POP Century ~ First Deluxe Stay!
August 2012- All Star Movies

boyob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #30
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I would hate to judge as well because sometimes it turns out a molester isn't one

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6905219.shtml
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: