Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #136
tlcslp
teacher moms rock!

Then there's the people who tell me I'm crazy or going in August, saying we'll be miserable. first, I am well aware that it's hot and humid in Florida in August. Duh.

As a teacher, I can go on the vacation weeks that are nutso, or I can go in teh summer. It's not my first choice of times for a Florida trip, but it's all I can do.

So BE QUIET and be happy for us! Geez...what a buzzkill!

super mom - DS(8) - DH
& Sully the Pug
tlcslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #137
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

They ask; they turn their noses up; they say “You are a freak”; yet they secretly wish they could go; I say I feel sorry for you...

We have invited friends to join us. One family has accepted is going with us in October this year. Another actually joined DVC because they loved our stories of the family fun we have and is so appreciative that they can’t stop thanking us. They want now to schedule vacations at the same time that we do so they can learn the ropes [so-to-speak]. We are happy to oblige, and they have become our biggest supporters and defenders when people say the same old words: “You are going to Disney AGAIN!!!???”

Signature [below] says it all!
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #138
carrollchristoph
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2jae View Post
Can't wait for our trip in September. We're keeping it a secret from EVERYONE even the kids! Don't want to hear "Your going again!". I wish I could see their faces when they go on facebook Sept 4th and see a picture of us at the castle smiling!

We did this, too! The surprise was really incredible!
Dis Dad #403

Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 Grand Floridian/Polynesian - Oct 2009 Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 Boardwalk Villas - April 2011 Bay Lake Tower
carrollchristoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #139
visitingapril09
DIS Veteran

Just smile and say nothing!
visitingapril09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #140
bonrea

Just smile and wave boys; just smile and wave…

Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #141
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmic23 View Post
Exactly! I don't think that it's a jealousy/envy thing, either. I have learned in these past few months that no matter how hard I try to "sell" Disney (Even just talking about it in glowing terms), there are some people who just won't budge. Some people are very interested and enthusiastically ask questions and then there are the GRUMPS. I just change the subject and move on.
I think the question that annoys me more is the "aren't you guys to old for Disney?" WE are not lie down and relax on a beach type of people. After day one we would get pretty bored. We don't go to Disney every year because that would get boring for us. We do plan to go every 5 years to celebrate our anniversary. Now that we have a daughter we get to see Disney through her eyes as well. I say "GOOD DAY" to those who question it.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #142
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

It's killing my MIL that we're going on. When we told her she first asked why we were going again. Why not go somewhere else, etc. I told her we liked it. Then she starts spouting off about money and how expensive it is and don't we need to save that money for the kids' college education. Like it's her business in the first place.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #143
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrea View Post
Just smile and wave boys; just smile and wave…

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #144
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I just say yup.

I personally don't care what others say or think about what we do on our family vacation.

We leave in a month for our fourth trip this year. Two weeks in January/February, a week in May, a last minute trip in July, now a week for MNSSHP. To top that off we are moving there in November. Well by November. Talk about strange looks.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #145
superdiz
Unofficial Disney Foodie - MOO

My coworkers and family say this to us all the time. My ex-stepmother, who vacationed in the white mountains of NH every single solitary year, always made fun of us for it. My brother in law doesn't get it and he goes to Paradise Island every other year. And the funniest part is, the majority of people who ask us this - never take a vacation anywhere! They'll have a mini weekend getaway maybe once every other year somewhere local, but still take their vacations to "get things done around the house". I want to ask the obvious questions in retort but I prefer to keep the peace and not be rude.

Though I'm sure I'd really LOVE to squander my vacation days painting the back deck instead of going to Disney Makes sense no?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #146
bonrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiz View Post
They'll have a mini weekend getaway maybe once every other year somewhere local, but still take their vacations to "get things done around the house".
We have discovered that people like this that spend their vacation time cleaning, painting, fixing, etc., "around the house" are not very organized in the first place. They can't seem to figure out how to plan anything let alone any kind of vacation. One of our friends that is like this REALLY should be on that TV show "Messy House" or some show like that. I Can't remember the name of the TV show because I don't watch much TV. I watch the Disney Vacation Secrets Revealed DVD or the Annual Disney Vacation Planning DVD (which I order each year to get the latest version ).
OR, I spend my time with my friends and kindred spirited friends here on DISBoards.com

Am I nuts for that?

Maybe so, however; I am the only one that comes back from my vacations with a smile on my face and no one EVER asks if I had a good time (They don’t ask because they have heard the answer many times before and can’t bear to hear how miserable their lives are compared to mine. One coworker actually said that one time.). Sitting around the office complaining that my back hurts because of all the "get things done around the house" I did isn’t a vacation to me. I keep up the house a little bit every day so I don't have to spend an entire week or weekend doing it.

Even my 7yo DD gets it from her teachers at school. “You are going to Disney again? Don’t you want to go someplace better?” She told them one time that there is no place better to spend time with her mommy and daddy. Don’t that warm your heart a bit?

Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #147
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

I usually follow up with "because we like it" and then say "Why do you go to the beach every year?"
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #148
superdiz
Unofficial Disney Foodie - MOO

Quote:
Even my 7yo DD gets it from her teachers at school. “You are going to Disney again? Don’t you want to go someplace better?” She told them one time that there is no place better to spend time with her mommy and daddy. Don’t that warm your heart a bit?
What a crabby teacher! lol I like your DD's response. But really, "somewhere better"? I mean, isn't that subjective? Or is her teacher that egocentric that she believes her definition of "better" is superior to that of DD's?

All I know is, vacation is vacation. We had fun in Hawaii, and would love to go back, but it's not near as affordable as Disney. So I say, bring on the vacation, the relaxation, pools, Mickey Bars (which incidentally I've been craving this entire pregnancy, thank GOD they are far away in Florida lol), and ENJOY!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #149
bonrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiz View Post
What a crabby teacher! lol I like your DD's response. But really, "somewhere better"? I mean, isn't that subjective? Or is her teacher that egocentric that she believes her definition of "better" is superior to that of DD's?

Actually it is a private school and they turn their noses up at Disney and just about anything that doesn’t give them more money. They claim we are “Paying Homage to the Rat” instead of donating more to the school. Go figure… It is a better education than public schools could ever give her. Hmmm… We could go to Disney more if she went to publ…… OOPs! Started dreaming again…

Last edited by bonrea; 08-22-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #150
pigletforever
DIS Veteran

Just found this thread and had to laugh. We get that response all the time. I asked my sister "Why is it OK for you to go to Aspen every year and not for us to go to WDW every couple years?" She just said "well there are other places to go" I told her as soon as she skipped an Aspen trip I would consider looking for another vacation (I didn't tell her that vacation would be a Disney Cruise)

I love the immersion of Disney. I can honestly forget the rest of the world for 10-12 days and just focus on my family. Our lives have been a roller coaster for the past 2 years and taking 12 days to reconnect with my hubby, sons, and my older son's fiancée is the best Christmas present I can give us all.

1994 off site (WDW), 1996 Contemp (WDW),
2006 AKL CL (WDW), 2009 OCTOBER 21-25 Sheraton Anaheim (DLR), 2010 Jan 4 -9 Holiday Inn and Suites (DLR)
Dec2010/Jan 2011WL (WDW), November 16,2013 Wonder, November 23, 2014 Magic
pigletforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: