Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
PFHite
Earning My Ears

Help with touring AK

I am very comfortable getting around MK, Epcot and HS, but it's been a few years since AK and that was the one and only time I've been to this park. Plus, the day we went was rainy and the crowds were low. We had very little wait time on anything.

This year will be different. We (my wife, daughters (13 & 5) and my parents along with me) are going to WDW over Thanksgiving and will be in AK on Thanksgiving day. I have put together a touring plan, but would like some input.

A few things: First, I know I'm asking for way too much below when it comes to trying to see as much of AK in a day as we can, especially on a major holiday.

We have to do EE and Kilimanjaro Safaris. I think my 5-year-old would like TriceraTop Spin. And I'd like to eat an early lunch (somewhere between 10:45 to 11:30) at Flame Tree if possible.

That's one problem. Most of the touring plans I've seen have us in Africa for lunch. Trying to figure out a plan to be near Flame Tree at lunch, plus do EE, Safaris and Spin without very long waits is a challenge.

Below is what I've come up with. Suggestions? I'd love to hear what you think, especially from the AK veterans. Feel free to totally switch things around. I've reworked this several times and still am not happy.

Also, is there anyway to squeeze in Camp Minnie-Mickey without long waits? I know, asking for too much. If we must skip some things, so be it.

Animal Kingdom Entrance
Arrive 30 to 45 minutes before park opening

Expedition Everest

Kali River Rapids

Maharajah Jungle Trek (Could flip Trek and Flights)

Flights of Wonder

Flame Tree Barbecue (could flip Flame Tree and Spin)

TriceraTop Spin

The Boneyard

Kilimanjaro Safaris Fastpass Booth (sending one member to get FP while rest of the crew are at Boneyard resting)

Finding Nemo: The Musical

Kilimanjaro Safaris

Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Festival of the Lion King

It's Tough to Be a Bug!
PFHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

Regardless of the size of our party,our AK plan never changes. At ropedrop I hustle to the right, getting to EE before the crowd coming the other way via the walkway to Finding Nemo, while the rest of the crew get to the Safari and waits. I grab FastPasses for all and scoot to Africa to do the Safari with a minimal wait. Then on to EE after which we do Dinosaur, grabing a Triceritops FP if needed. We usually have lunch at Pizzafari.

Bill From PA
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

This is what I would do to minimize but there will be backtracking involved, but I tried to make it as easy as possible:

Animal Kingdom Entrance
Arrive 30 to 45 minutes before park opening

Get FP for Expedition Everest , ride standby

Ride: Kilimanjaro Safaris

Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Flights of Wonder (usually 1st show is around 1030-11)

It's Tough to Be a Bug!

Flame Tree Barbecue (around noon)

The Boneyard

TriceraTop Spin

Finding Nemo: The Musical (usually a show around 130-2ish)

Ride Everest again using FP picked up early that morning

Kali River Rapids (November?? you are way braver than I am! )

Maharajah Jungle Trek

Festival of the Lion King (see last show of the day)
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
yulilin3
Disney Freak

I agree with both PP, I would send someone to grab a FP for Everest while the rest waits for the FP runner at Safari, it's better to ride the safari first thing in the morning, then do what the PP said.
I would skip Kali only because it's not the greatest ride, if the line is 10 min or less I would do it. Both animal trails are great.
One other thing if you have family members that are affraid/annoyed by birds I would skip Flame Tree. I LOVE Flame Tree but my daughter is afraid of the birds that stalk the area begging for food, so we never have a calm lunch. This is the only place in WDW where a duck has actualy bit me because I wasn't giving them food. Of course it didn't really hurt but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
PFHite
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
Kali River Rapids (November?? you are way braver than I am! )
Brave or stupid. Not sure which one, but since this is the only time of year we can really get to the parks, I guess it's during November or never. At least your plan has it near the end of the day. That's probably a smarter move.

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Unless FL has a really hot November, I would take Kali off the list. You WILL get soaked, and that could be very uncomfortable on a less than hot day.
sharonabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Is everyone going to ride Everest?

If not, that could be a good reason not to do it at Rope Drop. Might be better to do Safari first with everyone, then get Everest Fast Passes at some point.

If the 5-year-old isn't riding Everest, she (supervised by one or more adults) might play in the Boneyard while the others do Everest later in the day.

Also agree with others that it's a good idea to save Kali for last.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
allgoodgifts
Earning My Ears

Hey, we'll be at AK on Thanksgiving Day, too! I'll look for you. =)

I'm not an AK expert AT ALL, having never been there. I'm planning to skip some shows, but I'd really like to see Lion King and Flights. KS is a must. Boneyard is a strong desire. EE we'll do if we have the time (and if I have the nerve).

My day is complicated by the fact that we're also going to be doing the full Thanksgiving dinner at the vacation home. It's also our first full day in Florida. So here's what I have so far:

0600 Put the turkey in early; I stay home to watch the turkey and my kids if they are jetlagged

0830 My husband, my dad, and my sister and her family leave early to get to the Animal Kingdom for the 9:00am opening. Husband will likely just pick up KS fastpasses and come back to keep me company. =)

0900 Africa: Dad and sister's family ride KS and pick up fastpasses for the rest of my family. Then they do whatever they like until noon.

1200 Everyone return to the house for an early Thanksgiving dinner at 12pm.

1330 Once we’re done eating, my family goes into the park. Dad and sister's family can come too or let the kids nap.

1400 Asia: See Flights of Wonder if we can make it in time. There's another show at 3pm if we can't. Get Fastpasses for EE if available.

Walk through the Maharaja Jungle Trek.

Walk through park to Africa and see the parade as it passes

Pangani Forest Exploration, then ride Kilimanjaro Safaris using fastpasses

Tour the park, visiting the Boneyard, working toward Festival of the Lion King. Send adults to EE using singles line or fastpasses.

Eat something from counter service as desired

1800 Festival of the Lion King (this assumes they add an extra show
due to extended hours)

1900 Park closes; return to the house for dessert and bed.
allgoodgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
PFHite
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgoodgifts View Post
My day is complicated by the fact that we're also going to be doing the full Thanksgiving dinner at the vacation home. It's also our first full day in Florida.
Wow, and I thought my day would be busy. Good luck with the full dinner in the middle of the day. And thanks for the tips.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Allgoodgifts: I assume your Dad and Sis' family are NOT going to ride KS again with you in the afternoon as they can only get FPs for the tickets of people who have actually entered the park.

Last edited by sharonabe; 09-29-2010 at 10:47 PM.
sharonabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
brewhome
Mouseketeer

I'd head to the safari first because the animals are usually more active in the morning, and then head over to EE to get fast passes. You can spend time in Dinoland (Triceratop Spin, Boneyard, etc) while waiting to use your EE passes, depending how long the wait time is. You'll probably spend quite a bit of time in line waiting for the Nemo show, but it's totally worth the wait. I would do Kali at the end of the day, since you will get soaked.

Have a great trip and remember, the most important thing is to enjoy yourselves and NOT run yourselves to ragged trying to do absolutely everything. Pick your five or six must-do's and then consider the rest as bonus stuff! That way, you won't be disappointed if you don't hit everything.
January/February 2011 - Second Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
September 2011 - Two Sisters Take on Night of Joy! - Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2012 - Back to Night of Joy!! - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2013 - Third Trip with the Kids - All Star Music Family Suite
brewhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
allgoodgifts
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
Allgoodgifts: I assume your Dad and Sis' family are NOT going to ride KS again with you in the afternoon as they can only get FPs for the tickets of people who have actually entered the park.
Yes, that's the plan. They ride early, and we use their fastpasses to ride later.
allgoodgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
kabbie
DIS Veteran

My family and I are heading to AK on a Sat Oct 23. We have a 7 yr old and 4 yr old so we're not heading to EE first. Instead I have planned on sticking to the Africa side of the park for the first part of the day. Especially with my Mom too...she can't handle much walking.

So after an 9am breakfast at Tusker House (hopefully we can get Kilimanjaro Safari FP during the bfast), we'll hit Safari, Pangani Forest trail, Rafiki's Planet Watch, Camp Minnie-Mickey characters & Festival of the Lion King.

Then we'll venture over to Asia & Dinoland...My sister and I can go through the single rider line at EE while my Mom takes my nieces to Boneyard. We'll meet up and go see Finding Nemo. Lunch before or after depending on when we get hungry. Maharajah Jungle Trek and characters before the 3:45pm parade. Leave after that.

Read about a WDW Vet solo trip to Disneyland
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1355408
1991 Offsite 1992-1997 Lived in Tampa; Visited as a Day Visitor several times a year 2000 Offsite-Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway 2002 Offsite Jan 2004 Marriott Village (I work for Marriott) Dec 2005 All Star Vacation Home Sept 28-Oct 3, 2006 POR (First time on property!) Feb 6-10, 2007 1st time at Disneyland (Anaheim Fairfield) Sept 26-Oct 5, 2007 WL/BWV Dec 12-14, 2007 Marriott Village (free room)Dec3-10, 2008 Marriott Grande Vista May 16-21, 2009 BWV Dec 12-17, 2009 POFQ/BCV/VWLOct 20 - 24, 2010 Marriott's Sabal Palms Aug 3-8, 2011 Disneyland - Anaheim Marriott Suites
kabbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal kingdom, expedition everest, kilimanjaro safaris, thanksgiving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: