Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #256
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2go2wdwmom View Post
(QUESTION: We already have a dust mite allergy person in our house so we have those types of pillow and mattress covers---will this sort suffice or do I need to get covers specifically for bedbug prevention?
dust mite are a bunch smaller than bedbug - you can actually see bedbug - you can't see dust mites

so think you are fine.

yes there is a spray - but no guarantees - rest easy you can find it at Walgreens and bed, bath & beyond

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #257
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy1121 View Post
A good read!
70's Fav ride 20,000 Leagues UTS; '03 June AKL-DF,DFH,DFS(4),DFS(5),MeDH, DS(4);'04 June HOJO'S Enchantedland-DH, DS(5), DSis (Eyeore) to WDW, Universal, SeaWorld; May '05 ASMo DDP--"OUR PERFECT DREAM COME TRUE VACATION" DH, DS(6); May '07 DDP-POP! w/ DH and DS(8)-SeaWorld;May '08 Free upgrade to CBR and PPP; April '09 Disney Wonder then Universal for SPRING BREAK-DH, DS(10),DF,DFH,DFS(9),DF(11); July '09 PC w/ DH and DS (10);May '10 CSR w/ $500 WDW gc w/DH & DS; Nov '10 PC w/ our middle schooler DS 11!! F&W, Festival of the Masters and "Christmas" at WDW and SW. July 20-26, '11 DS 12, DH (-63 lbs and counting) Y.E.S. Program, PC 5 day premium DQ, TL June 20-27, '12 First TEEN trip!!! DS and DH (-96 lbs and counting!) YES program and BG Tampa~Grabbing those quaility moments while we can! Feb. 22-25, '13 Sistah Tripping! DSis (54) and me (51), Pop Century - had res at CSR but extended stay at PC instead July 2013 - St. Pete Beach/Clearwater BG-Tampa Trip w/ DH and DS14 years old
June 2014-Universal trip w UAP and w DH and DS15--Portofino, Cabana Bay Resort, Hard Rock-club level!!!
happy2go2wdwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #258
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I also plan to put luggage in tub until room is inspected
Why would you do this? The little beggars can hide in shower curtains and nooks and crannies.

We left our luggage out on the balcony until we inspected the entire room. We took about 30 minutes to go over the beds, headboards, vanity area, behind pictures (a favorite of bedbugs) etc.

I felt as satisfied as one possibly could that the room was safe and allowed my DH to bring the luggage in (however, it was ALWAYS on the luggage racks, never on the carpet, bed, or in the drawers, and it was ALWAYS zippered shut unless we needed to remove something). DH was not at all thrilled at my whole inspection routine, which had to be repeated when we received an upgrade.

We did hang our clothes but made sure they weren't touching the walls.

The bottom line is... you can do everything possible and if you just get unlucky, they may still find you. Don't blame yourself if this happens. It's a vacation for goodness sakes and you can only do so much.

Also remember that for all the hysteria, it's really not as huge a problem as some are making it out to be. Disney (as well as other hotel properties) are fully aware of the potential for this problem and I'm sure they don't want the varmints any more than we do.

You need to be guarded, and do whatever is in your power, but if it's causing your entire holiday to be stressful it's not worth it.

The fact is, you could have a completely bedbug free room and then someone from housekeeping could bring the bedbugs or eggs in from another room on a cart, the towels, or even the bottom of their shoes.

My point being, you could walk in there with your family looking like Ghostbusters and scour every inch of the room and still not be 100% secure, so just be reasonable and enjoy your holiday
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #259
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdarroch View Post
Why would you do this? The little beggars can hide in shower curtains and nooks and crannies.

We left our luggage out on the balcony until we inspected the entire room. We took about 30 minutes to go over the beds, headboards, vanity area, behind pictures (a favorite of bedbugs) etc.

I felt as satisfied as one possibly could that the room was safe and allowed my DH to bring the luggage in (however, it was ALWAYS on the luggage racks, never on the carpet, bed, or in the drawers, and it was ALWAYS zippered shut unless we needed to remove something). DH was not at all thrilled at my whole inspection routine, which had to be repeated when we received an upgrade.

The bottom line is... you can do everything possible and if you just get unlucky, they may still find you. Don't blame yourself if this happens. It's a vacation for goodness sakes and you can only do so much.

Also remember that for all the hysteria, it's really not as huge a problem as some are making it out to be. Disney (as well as other hotel properties) are fully aware of the potential for this problem and I'm sure they don't want the varmints any more than we do.

You need to be guarded, and do whatever is in your power, but if it's causing your entire holiday to be stressful it's not worth it.

The fact is, you could have a completely bedbug free room and then someone from housekeeping could bring the bedbugs or eggs in from another room on a cart, the towels, or even the bottom of their shoes.

My point being, you could walk in there with your family looking like Ghostbusters and scour every inch of the room and still not be 100% secure, so just be reasonable and enjoy your holiday
Right Craig--gotcha and good points----i am just wanting to use wise precautions---had heard that putting luggage in tub until room is inspected is a good idea. Putting stuff in ziplock bags and garbage bags, hanging things up; keeping things off of the floors sure won't stress out our vacation and if we happen to get them in spite of our efforts, well that would be terrible but at least we'd know we tried!
70's Fav ride 20,000 Leagues UTS; '03 June AKL-DF,DFH,DFS(4),DFS(5),MeDH, DS(4);'04 June HOJO'S Enchantedland-DH, DS(5), DSis (Eyeore) to WDW, Universal, SeaWorld; May '05 ASMo DDP--"OUR PERFECT DREAM COME TRUE VACATION" DH, DS(6); May '07 DDP-POP! w/ DH and DS(8)-SeaWorld;May '08 Free upgrade to CBR and PPP; April '09 Disney Wonder then Universal for SPRING BREAK-DH, DS(10),DF,DFH,DFS(9),DF(11); July '09 PC w/ DH and DS (10);May '10 CSR w/ $500 WDW gc w/DH & DS; Nov '10 PC w/ our middle schooler DS 11!! F&W, Festival of the Masters and "Christmas" at WDW and SW. July 20-26, '11 DS 12, DH (-63 lbs and counting) Y.E.S. Program, PC 5 day premium DQ, TL June 20-27, '12 First TEEN trip!!! DS and DH (-96 lbs and counting!) YES program and BG Tampa~Grabbing those quaility moments while we can! Feb. 22-25, '13 Sistah Tripping! DSis (54) and me (51), Pop Century - had res at CSR but extended stay at PC instead July 2013 - St. Pete Beach/Clearwater BG-Tampa Trip w/ DH and DS14 years old
June 2014-Universal trip w UAP and w DH and DS15--Portofino, Cabana Bay Resort, Hard Rock-club level!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #260
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Quote:

ps) Had heard they have a harder time crawling on slippery places which was why tub had been a suggestion.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #261
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

They go where they smell potential DNA (ie: a meal) so anyplace a human has been is fair game to them.

I think the risk of getting them from the tub is slim, but I would still leave the cases out of the room until your complete your initial inspection.

I'm sure you'll be just fine (especially since Disney is so aware of the problem now).

Do the basics and then enjoy a wonderful holiday
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #262
bearzabout
DIS Veteran

I bought Luna mattress and pillow covers to keep the buggers from ever making my expensive new mattress and down pillows their home.

I just wish they made down comforter protectors. I am afraid to carry my comforter with me after my last exposure to the dreaded bugs. I steamed the comforter when I got home and had all kinds of critters surface from the heat.

http://www.lunamattress.com/?gclid=C...FUcz5wodxg2YbQ

I am quite confident that the Cedarcide (cedar oil) I sprayed on and in my luggage with deter them from climbing into a bag while on vacation. Luckily, I love the scent of cedar and don't have any adverse reactions like I do with other bug sprays.

I read the article that said that 2 out of three homes will have bedbugs within a few years. I'm not willing to give up travel so I guess it is just a matter of time before I get exposed again.
bearzabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #263
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Or you could actually be the one who brings the bed bugs into the room on luggage that got some bed bug hitchhikers from the other luggage on the plane on your flight to FL!

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #264
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
Or you could actually be the one who brings the bed bugs into the room on luggage that got some bed bug hitchhikers from the other luggage on the plane on your flight to FL!
Well... that's why I only do carry-on. They say your chances are a bit better than if you check your bags.
Still, there's never a guarantee is there.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #265
ldvcshop
Earning My Ears

How Horrible

Whenever we book rooms now I check bedbugregistry.com where people report their problems by room and hotel. Also I check trip rerport and read all the reviews. I've found some reports there that were not on the registry site. My heart goes out to those who have experienced this, I am constantly paranoid about this and we spray our luggage, briefcases, backpacks with Permethrin before we travel anywhere. Don't know if it works, but it makes me feel better.
ldvcshop is offline   Reply With Quote