Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #91
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

i feel your pain travelling to disney with a large group is wonderful but also very difficult. this summer is my first trip with just my immediate family. my husband is a disney hater but i feel it could be from all the stress of dealing with tons of family. we have never travelled with less than 9 people and at one point 17 people. you sound like me....worrrying about everybody else being happy and being sad when they arent and running to try to follow touring plans. i promised this summer would be different. we shall see i guess wish me luck
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #92
taymacsmom
DIS Veteran

Sorry about your step-daughter and in-laws! It's hard to please everyone, I guess. As much as I would love to see the world with my extended family, I am afraid of having the same kind of troubles you seemed to have had. Hope it gets better for you!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #93
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmylaj View Post
i feel your pain travelling to disney with a large group is wonderful but also very difficult. this summer is my first trip with just my immediate family. my husband is a disney hater but i feel it could be from all the stress of dealing with tons of family. we have never travelled with less than 9 people and at one point 17 people. you sound like me....worrrying about everybody else being happy and being sad when they arent and running to try to follow touring plans. i promised this summer would be different. we shall see i guess wish me luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by taymacsmom View Post
Sorry about your step-daughter and in-laws! It's hard to please everyone, I guess. As much as I would love to see the world with my extended family, I am afraid of having the same kind of troubles you seemed to have had. Hope it gets better for you!
At the conclusion of this day my husband and I swore we would not have additional guests on our next trip! Even though it was only 3 extra people, it did kind of ruin our day. I was trying so hard to follow our touring plan while at the same time making sure three little children, a teenager and two seniors were having fun! The two previous park days with just our immediate family had gone so much better. In retrospect, I should've just scrapped having a plan right from the beginning and tried to be much more flexible. It was hard for me to let go of the touring plan though, as I wanted to make the most of our trip. I also couldn't understand why our additional guests didn't really want to do anything! Live and learn, I guess.

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #94
lexmas
DIS Veteran

My goodness, no wonder it was the day you were cranky. That sounds terrible!

I would be so completely frustrated to waste a day that way!

And your mother-in-law......yeah, shame on you for leaving to clean up your daughter and yourself. How completely selfish.

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #95
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Not sure how I missed these updates, but I am here to catch up tonight:

I sure hope DH is doing much better! How scary!!

Goodness, what a rough start to your day at MK! I sure hope it got better. At least it was only one day--could have been the whole week! I am slightly nervous about having all the extra people along with us.
September 2010 PTR

Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #96
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Sorry I've been MIA - it's been a busy summer! Just to update, Sam started K today!! Sniff! And the next time we head to Disney we'll be bringing along a new little mouseketeer!!!!!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #97
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Wow! Congratulations!!! When are you due?

And I can't believe Sam is in Kindergarten! How are you coping?

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #98
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
Wow! Congratulations!!! When are you due?

And I can't believe Sam is in Kindergarten! How are you coping?
Thanks!!! I'm 7 weeks (we've only told my parents and sisters so far, but I thought it would be fun to tell you DIS friends!) and am due May 8th! We're really excited. We were originally planning our next trip to Disney for Thanksgiving 2011, but that will have to be put off a bit now. Thinking maybe February 2012 or August 2012. Any thoughts?

I can't believe Sam is in Kindergarten either!!!! I've been pretty emotional about it but I'm handling today pretty well. Last night I read him the book, The Kissing Hand, (about a racoon going off to school for the first time and his mom kisses his hand so he can feel her love all day) and was totally crying by the end of it. Sam asked me why I was crying and I told him it was because I would miss him when he was in school all day. He looked at me and said, very matter of factly, "I will miss you too, but I will be having fun!" He was extremely excited to ride the bus, so that was cute. I can't wait until he gets off this afternoon though so I can give him a big hug and kiss and hear all about his day!

I need to head over to your trip planning thread and catch up with what's going on with you. Since I was away from the boards for so long I stopped getting updates. Isn't your trip this month!?!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #99
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Aww, well I feel special being "in the know" then! DD was due May 12th. (She was born the first) May babies are fun! Don't make the same mistake that we did, being like, "May is summer!" May is NOT summer here, and DD had like, 3 dresses that were warm enough for her to wear the first month!

That's great that Sam wasn't worried about going to school. I'm sure he is having too much fun to miss you too much!

My trip was supposed to be this month but we had a lot happen and it got moved to next month. Sorry my PTR is such a mess if you hop over there, I stopped putting links and I know that makes it so much more difficult to follow. I know what it's like trying to come back and catch up on the DIS, I've been trying to do a lot of the same lately and it's just overwhelming trying to get back in the swing of things!

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #100
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Dinner at Tony's Town Square and our Magic Kingdom evening

We had 5:30pm ADR's at Tony's Town Square and I was hoping a nice meal would calm my spirits and reunite our group. While we waited to be seated (about 10 minutes) everyone enjoyed the comfy chairs in front of the Lady and the Tramp pictures.

Caryn, Rick & Sam:

Sam & Madeleine:

I had read mixed reviews from fellow DISer's with the worst being terrible food and horribly long waits, so was happy to find our experience there to be pleasant. I've eaten in my share of fine dining restaurants, and that it certainly wasn't, but the food was fine and the service friendly and competent. My kids had cheese pizza, Caryn, Rick and my in-laws had spaghetti and I had the Tomato Mozzarella Salad and a Caesar Salad. While we were waiting for our meal to arrive the Street Party went by for their evening performance so I took the kids out on the porch to watch (again!). Love that show!! The meal definitely cheered me up and everyone seemed to be in good spirits.

Here's all of us (minus me who took the picture):

Me & Sam:

Caryn & Madeleine:

After dinner, my mother-in-law really wanted to shop along Main Street but we had FP's for Big Thunder Mtn RR we wanted to use before the fireworks at 8pm so we split up. My in-laws offered to take Matthew and Madeleine with them to shop, which I thought was very nice, while the rest of us headed to Thunder Mountain with the plan to meet at Fantasyland afterwards. We all rode Thunder Mtn. together once and then Caryn and Sam rode a second time. We met the rest of our group at Winnie the Pooh (my mother-in-law is a huge Pooh fan so I thought for sure she'd want to at least ride that!) and bypassed the huge line with the FP's we'd gotten earlier in the day. My mother-in-law had taken Madeleine on Cinderella's Carousel before that as well (Madeleine's favorite!).

It was nearing 8pm, so we walked back to Main St. to end our day with the fireworks. Although my in-laws were staying on site, they were really worried about "missing the last bus" so decided to skip the fireworks and head back then and there. No matter how many times I assured them that there would be a bus for them at the conclusion of the fireworks, they were just too worried to stay. I couldn't believe they didn't stay!! At any rate, we had a picture taken of all of us along Main St. and said good-bye.

A happy ending to a challenging day!

Next up: Back to Epcot and Matthew starts puking!

Last edited by cheryterese; 09-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #101
lexmas
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you had a good experience at Tony's. I have heard some not so great things as well.

Too bad they thought they were going to miss the bus. How did they think all those other people were going to get back to their hotels?

At least it sounds like a pleasant end to the day, and like you got a lot done. Traveling with relatives (or anyone, for that matter) can certainly be challenging!

I am all at once afraid and intrigued about the puking baby. It does NOT sound fun!!!

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #102
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Day 5 (Saturday, January 30th, 2010): Back to Epcot and the puking begins!

Day 5 found us returning to Epcot for the second time, with Caryn joining us this time around. We had breakfast at the house and were at Epcot before the park opened. We had missed the opening ceremonies on our previous Epcot day, in favor of picking up the 1st Visit pins for the kids, but were plenty early and found a nice spot at the front of the rope. It was a warm, cloudy, humid morning and started to rain lightly while we were waiting. We asked a CM if the characters would still come out, but he was pretty evasive. Another CM came over and started talking to us and we found out she was from Niagara Falls! Small world! A few minutes later the characters did come out, and to Sam and Madeleine's delight there was much character interaction!

Donald came over first:

Followed by Minnie, who gave Madeleine a high 5!:

Minnie then tried to give Matthew a high 5, but he wanted nothing to do with it!:

After that, Pluto came over to give out some 5's:

And then let Madeleine give him a kiss on the nose!:

Mickey arrived next:

Matthew wanted nothing to do with him!:

Goofy was there as well, but he never came over. The characters did a wonderful job of interacting with the crowd however, and my kids were thrilled. Such a nice start to the day! I had geared the morning toward attractions I thought Caryn would enjoy and as soon as they dropped the ropes we all headed to Soarin'. We all went down to get the Rider Swap pass (again, such a pain with little children that this is down the long hall and down the stairs) and while Rick, Caryn and Sam rode I got FP's for all of us to ride again later. After they returned, Caryn, Sam and I rode while Rick took Madeleine and Matthew to ride Nemo.

Madeleine must have gone on Nemo at least 10 times during all of our various Rider Swap waiting!:

We met up outside between the two attractions afterwards and walked over to Test Track. Rick, Caryn and Sam rode that and then Caryn, Sam and I went on Mission Space. Madeleine and Matthew were content to play alongside the strollers, chase birds and watch people while waiting. When the others were done with Mission Space, the "Jammitors" arrived and we watched a bit of their show:

Our last stop of the morning was Ellen's Energy Adventure. Warning to anyone with young children or teens: BORING!!!! I had done this attraction before but didn't remember how long and boring the intro movie, midpoint radio talk and ending movie was. The ride through dinosaur part was way too short to hold the interest of any of the kids and we would definitely skip this attraction in the future. The only good part was that Matthew napped in Rick's arms for most of it!

It was lunchtime by this point so we headed over to the Patisserie in France, found a nice table outside and ordered a misc. bunch of delicious things to eat: quiches, napoleans, croissants, pastries, etc. We were about halfway through our meal when all of a sudden Caryn said, "Um.......Matthew just threw up!" Sure enough, even though we hadn't heard a thing, there it was all down his jacket and shirt. We didn't know what was wrong with him, as he hadn't been acting sick or abnormal or anything, so we just cleaned him up the best we could with a bunch of napkins and baby wipes and carried on. When Rick and I were finished eating, we asked Caryn (who was texting) to watch Sam and Madeleine (who were still eating) and took Matthew with us to look in a nearby shop. I was showing Rick a winestopper with a glass Mickey head that I thought we should buy when all of a sudden, , Matthew threw up again. This time it was all over - all over him, all over his stroller and all over the floor of the store. We hurried back out to our table and tried in vain to clean him up once again, but this time it was just too much and while we were trying to clean him up he vomitted again.

We gathered everyone up as quickly as we could and started heading back to the parking lot, but on the way we passed the squirting water area we had promised Sam and Madeleine they could play in before we left the park for afternoon naps. As soon as they saw it they started carrying on about playing in it, and since I didn't know if we would be returning to Epcot I decided to let them have 10 minutes to play. I didn't want to take the time to change them in to their bathing suits, so just let them go in their clothes.

Here they are having the time of their lives while Caryn, Rick and I sat on the sidelines with a stinky, pukey, sick baby:

I still can't believe I stopped to let them do this, but I didn't want to ruin everyone's fun and I really didn't know if we'd be returning. After their brief water play, we loaded everyone into the car (two soaked kids and one puke covered one - delightful), drove back to the house, gave Matthew a bath and put all of the kids down for a nap. I then started what would be the first of many loads of laundry and Rick headed to the car with a bucket and washcloth to clean out Matthew's stroller and car seat.

Coming up: Will Matthew recover and can our day be saved?

Last edited by cheryterese; 09-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #103
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm glad you had a good experience at Tony's. I have heard some not so great things as well.

Too bad they thought they were going to miss the bus. How did they think all those other people were going to get back to their hotels?

At least it sounds like a pleasant end to the day, and like you got a lot done. Traveling with relatives (or anyone, for that matter) can certainly be challenging!

I am all at once afraid and intrigued about the puking baby. It does NOT sound fun!!!
I had read some really terrible reviews of Tony's, but there's not a lot of choice for sitdown dinner's at the MK so I took a chance. I'm glad it was okay. I don't think I could've dealt with another disappointement that day!

I'm still shaking my head over my in-laws skipping the fireworks because they were afraid of missing the resort bus!! Ah well, to each his own I guess. They missed a great show though!

I just posted my next update. Reader beware!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #104
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I laughed out loud when I read "two soaked kids and one puke covered one - delightful" I can only imagine. That sounds horrible! And out of nowhere...that's really the kicker. If you had some idea that maybe he would get sick, then that would be something. At least you weren't in the middle of a ride or something! It does sound a little crazy stopping to let them play, but you know, sometimes that's just the easier thing to do.

The opening ceremonies look like a lot of fun! I've never gotten to Epcot for opening. I hope to do it on my next trip!

At least you got some rides in first. Soarin' is such a good ride, and mission space is fun too. Ellen is long, and as much as I completely love it, I do try and do it while the baby is sleeping. There is a lot of movie to watch there!

I can't wait to see if Matthew recovers quickly. I hope so!

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #105
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh no! I laughed out loud when I read "two soaked kids and one puke covered one - delightful" I can only imagine. That sounds horrible! And out of nowhere...that's really the kicker. If you had some idea that maybe he would get sick, then that would be something. At least you weren't in the middle of a ride or something! It does sound a little crazy stopping to let them play, but you know, sometimes that's just the easier thing to do.

The opening ceremonies look like a lot of fun! I've never gotten to Epcot for opening. I hope to do it on my next trip!

At least you got some rides in first. Soarin' is such a good ride, and mission space is fun too. Ellen is long, and as much as I completely love it, I do try and do it while the baby is sleeping. There is a lot of movie to watch there!

I can't wait to see if Matthew recovers quickly. I hope so!
I was hoping to get an update in this afternoon, but this pregnancy has got me so tired and nauseous that a nap is in order instead!

I just noticed something new in your signature about a 2011 Disney spree!! Do tell!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: