Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #301
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

A Post NOT for the boys.....

I'm down to 26 days!!!

For you ladies out there and NOT a post for the boys, when do you start to think about the more feminine primping side of things - particularly when galvanised by the thought of a holiday?

There is nothing like preparing for a holiday that turns my mind towards outward appearances. After all, there are all those thousands of STRANGERS out there and I would hate for them to think that I was NOT....well.....conscious of my appearance (which I am so NOT, by the way).

When I'm at home, I'm happy to be much more relaxed about the amount of body hair I carry as extra weight....Particularly this time of year.
It is, afterall, the end of winter in Australia and I'm much too cold to think about showing off legs or arms. So, the 'air resistance on my legs is significant for this time of year.
I do address the underarm side of things as I do NOT want to feel like an orangutan, so the razor does get a work out in winter!

And I have NOT gone to the salon for the facial aspect in months! Now, I am interested in my appearance; it's just that I do NOT have a significant amount of facial hair and what there is grows slowly (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

But....(and I'm NOT just talking about my behind here)....as there is definite feel of spring in the 'air; I've decided that it is time for some action.

So, this week I need to start booking in some appointments for myself so that I'm all set for the holiday.

1. First is a haircut. I need to book this in for next week. I do NOT like my hair when it is newly cut. It just seems too 'perfect' for me. I much prefer it when after 3 weeks; as by this stage, my hair has grown a little and it feels and looks much more naturally out of place.

2. Next is a leg wax; and brow and lip waxing. I want to book this in for the Thursday before I fly out. This will give my skin time to recover and NOT be blotchy red for the plane flight.

3. Lastly, I will be booking in for a chiropractic adjustment of my back in that last week before I fly out. I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and I figure an adjustment will be needed before the long plane flight.

So, by this time tomorrow, I should be able to report that I have booked in all three appointments....or NOT!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #302
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

You know you'll have to take pics to show us of your new haircut, right? I actually need to get my hair cut before I leave as well. I want my bangs redone (they've grown out) and I need a trim. My skin is so crazy sensitive that I HAVE to shave, otherwise I scratch until I bleed, which isn't fun. I'm thinking about getting my eyebrows done, or at least just asking my mom or best friend to do them for me

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #303
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
You know you'll have to take pics to show us of your new haircut, right?
Sadly, I've worn my hair the same way for the last 5 years. The only thing that changes is the length. But you'll get to see it in 26 days!!!

Quote:
I actually need to get my hair cut before I leave as well. I want my bangs redone (they've grown out) and I need a trim.
Time to get this booked in!

Quote:
My skin is so crazy sensitive that I HAVE to shave, otherwise I scratch until I bleed, which isn't fun. I'm thinking about getting my eyebrows done, or at least just asking my mom or best friend to do them for me
Well??? Book it in. There is NOT a lot of time left!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #304
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sadly, I've worn my hair the same way for the last 5 years. The only thing that changes is the length. But you'll get to see it in 26 days!!!

Time to get this booked in!

Well??? Book it in. There is NOT a lot of time left!
My hair's been growing out since May 2008 when I moved down to Orlando, so this is the longest it's been since about 2005. I know I cut it prior to May 2006, since Jacquie was married at the end of May and I had short hair in her wedding photos.

I actually just go to Bo-Rics for my hair. They take walk-ins, and the longest I've ever waited was about twenty minutes and that was because my parents went before me It's about $12-15, I think. And I'd rather just have my mom or Jacquie do my eyebrows because I HATE having them done and would keep making them stop. Jacquie had me get them done for her wedding and I HATED her for it. She still makes fun of me for it

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #305
PrincessInOz
in

We have a similar concept here....Cheap Cuts. They charge about $15 for a cut, walk in only.

I used to use them but then got burnt by a couple of hairdressers that didn't know what they were doing and practically butchered my hair. I need my hair to look on the conservative side for work; so I can't afford for some Edie Scissorhands to make me feel self-conscious about a bad cut for 6 weeks at work.

So, I've found a nice little place in Chinatown in the city. My hairdresser is from Hong Kong and has been cutting hair for over 10 years. He's nice; works a 13 day fortnight and charges $40. I think it's a good compromise.

For Australian pricing, this is NOT a bad price....

Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #306
DisneyFirefly

Yeah, we have a place two blocks from my house that only charges $5. There's a ton of places like that here. But, unfortunately, at most of them, if you don't speak Spanish, you might get your hair butchered. That's what happened to me, which is why I go to Bo-Rics now I just need a trim and my bangs done, so it shouldn't be hard for them to do.

The only time I've been to a "proper" hairdresser was when I bleached the black out of my hair and fried it. It looked really cool (white at the roots, then yellow, then orange, then red, then black), but it wasn't work appropriate. My uncle was dating a hairdresser at some ritzy place downtown, so he did my hair for me. He cut it into a cute bob (it had been shoulder length) and spent several hours taking the dye out of my hair before dying it strawberry blonde. He told me later that if I'd paid for it (he did it as a favor to my uncle), it would have been well over $500.

Me DF
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #307
PrincessInOz
in

Yeah...sounds like Melbourne pricing. A normal cut in the city, wash and dry is now around $90. If you add a basic colour, you're up for $250.

You are adding colour for fashion reasons! Wait till you're a little older.... when you have to hide the greys. I do my own colour these days.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #308
DisneyFirefly

That was about four or five years ago, actually, so it's long since grown out. I haven't dyed my hair in a long time. The only thing I put in my hair now is volumizing shampoo and conditioner

Me DF
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #309
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Wow! You two ladies put way too much thought into this! I shave my underarms when the hair starts to get long. I have a moustache trimmer for when I need it. I never shave my legs and get my hair trimmed every six weeks.

I see a guy at a semi-ritzy salon, but we've become friends over the last, I don't know how many years, and he only charges me & Fran $10, but I give him a $10 tip...he doesn't always charge me that when he runs the credit slips through.

For my first wedding I had my upper lip waxed. NEVER again will wax touch my face. I used to have my eyebrows done, but now I just don't bother. I figure no one is looking at ME anyways!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #310
DisneyFirefly

I honestly only shave so regularly because of the way my skin is. If I don't, I itch like crazy. I've only had my eyebrows done once, otherwise I don't really care. I also just go to the hair salon i can afford

Me DF
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #311
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Wow! You two ladies put way too much thought into this! I shave my underarms when the hair starts to get long. I have a moustache trimmer for when I need it. I never shave my legs and get my hair trimmed every six weeks.

I see a guy at a semi-ritzy salon, but we've become friends over the last, I don't know how many years, and he only charges me & Fran $10, but I give him a $10 tip...he doesn't always charge me that when he runs the credit slips through.

For my first wedding I had my upper lip waxed. NEVER again will wax touch my face. I used to have my eyebrows done, but now I just don't bother. I figure no one is looking at ME anyways!
Actually.....NOT. It's just an excuse for me to de-hair from the winter. Sadly, I do NOT ever seem to care enough other than to try to be tidy. And you're right. I do NOT expect anyone to be looking at me either (except DH).

Quote:
I honestly only shave so regularly because of the way my skin is. If I don't, I itch like crazy. I've only had my eyebrows done once, otherwise I don't really care. I also just go to the hair salon i can afford
And I need to maintain a corporate professional 'look' as part of my job. So, I have to find a hairdresser that is reliable and does NOT charge an arm or a leg!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #312
PrincessInOz
in

I've booked in the waxings and the chiro.

Have NOT gotten round to the hairdresser.....yet!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #313
DisneyFirefly

Yay! I'm going to wait until next week to go get my hair cut. It needs it thankfully, with my job, it's perfectly acceptable to just throw it in a clip or ponytail.

Me DF
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #314
shushh
DIS Veteran

PrincessInOz, you never cease to crack me up!

I too build up a bit over the winter months and only recently went thought the same thought process as yourself! (BTW 25 is a much nicer number than 73). I recently did a de-fuzz so I have time to do another session before we go. Fortunately, my genetic make-up is such that the hair is rather fine and sparse after 2 successive waxes and I could probably get away with things if people don't look at me...
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #315
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Yay! I'm going to wait until next week to go get my hair cut. It needs it thankfully, with my job, it's perfectly acceptable to just throw it in a clip or ponytail.
Okay. So will you be taking before and after shots? Your hair's quite long at the moment, right? Post it on your PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
PrincessInOz, you never cease to crack me up!

I too build up a bit over the winter months and only recently went thought the same thought process as yourself! (BTW 25 is a much nicer number than 73). I recently did a de-fuzz so I have time to do another session before we go. Fortunately, my genetic make-up is such that the hair is rather fine and sparse after 2 successive waxes and I could probably get away with things if people don't look at me...
Sometimes I feel like this!

But I'm sure I'm only IMAGINING things (NOT!! )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: