Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
chasingthedream
Mouseketeer

Blue Lagoon or Atlantis?

We are going on a Bahamas cruise next year for DS5 b-day, and want to do a dolphin encounter. I've read mixed reviews on Atlantis and Blue Lagoon. The only real limitation we have is that DS is still young so the deep water excursions would not be great.

Thanks in advance!
chasingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

I would luv to hear responses on this too - This is our first cruise and I have always wanted to do a dolphin encounter (DH and DS could do the deep water swim, I could swim well enough if I had to, but DD will do much better with the encounter). But trying to decide whether to go for the encounter with the Discover Atlantis combo day, or the encounter with the Blue Lagoon day. Any thoughts on which is better?
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

We are doing the Dolphin Encounter vs. Atlantis. The Dolphin Encounter is always something we wanted to do. My girls aren't really that into water slides. Plus we have a lot of water parks about a hour and half from us. I have 4 and 11 year old DD's. Price wise I checked on renting Comfort Suites and you get free admission to Atlantis. It was a bit less than the Dolphin Encounter but I hear they also add a lot of room fees. So we are putting money away for it now and will prepay our shipboard account like we always do so we don't have to worry about it. I am also buying a underwater camera specifically for the Encounter. My thought also is you can use Cabbage beach for free. I find it funny you have the ocean there and would go to a water park.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
tylerandalexsmom

Oh, we're definitely going to do the Dolphin Encounter, but I meant one of those combo packages -- where you get to do the dolphin thing, and then you do other stuff too -- like at Atlantis, you can do the Atlantis waterpark - not really what I want to do; or Discover Atlantis - which sounds more like aquarium and beach time; vs. the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter and beach day combo. So in otherwords - is Atlantis dolphin encounter and beach day better, or is Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter and beach day better? (Clear as mud?)

BTW, what kind of underwater camera? One of the disposable kind, or a keeper? I am planning on buying a waterproof camera by then, and just started trying to research what kind to get. Any particular brands or features looking good?
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

Last edited by tylerandalexsmom; 09-20-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
cmb048
Earning My Ears

My family did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter when we cruised this past August and had a great time. We did the Dolphin Encounter instead of the Dolphin Swim because my daughter (9 yrs old) was not liking the thought of being pushed through the water by a dolphin during the swim. In fact...my son (12 yrs old) wasn't so sure about it either. Our group for the Dolphin Encounter had four families. Everyone had a turn dancing, rubbing and feeding the dolphin and getting a "kiss." Those that wanted could also rub its tongue and feel its teeth. A couple of the families in our group didn't follow directions too well and we could tell the trainer was getting frustrated. We were patient and let everyone else go before us. The trainer said since we were patient and were the last group, we were going to get a little extra time with the dolphins. The trainer had the dolphin go get a "present" for my daughter. The trainer said sometimes the dolphin comes back with a live present. This time it brought back a stone from the bottom of the lagoon and gave it to my daughter. We also did a "beached dolphin" photo which was extra but well worth it. Basically, they have a dolphin hop out of the water onto a wet mat and you have a picture taken with it. It will make a great Christmas card picture. After the Dolphin Encounter, you can go and use there beach which looked very nice. Not crowded at all. We were told that some of the beach scenes from the movie Splash were filmed there.
cmb048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I am looking for a keeper underwater camera. I have a Kodak Easy Share and it takes good pictures but is several years old and cannot be used underwater. I am leaning toward the fugi underwater camera.
Here's a thread that has some pic and reviews.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rwater+cameras

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Princessandthemommy
Mouseketeer

Are you all booking your dolphin encounter through DCL or on your own through Blue Lagoon on your own.
Princessandthemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
cmb048
Earning My Ears

I booked our Dolphin Encounter via DCL.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

We did the BLue Lagoone Dolphin encounter with DD3 in May-WE LOVED IT. The trainer was hilarious and my daughter still talks about the dolphin spitting water in daddys face. We didnt stick around after for the beach cuz we were hoping to exlore Nassaus history. Husband wasnt prepared for the "culture" so we headed back to the ship

On another note, I recently bought a playsport handheld Video camera... I LLOOOVVVEE IT! Cant wait to take it on a cruise....it is waterproof and does pictures and video. Its just a bit bigger then a cell phone. I paid like 129 for it and it was the best thing i bought recently
RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
tylerandalexsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb048 View Post
My family did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter when we cruised this past August and had a great time. We did the Dolphin Encounter instead of the Dolphin Swim because my daughter (9 yrs old) was not liking the thought of being pushed through the water by a dolphin during the swim. In fact...my son (12 yrs old) wasn't so sure about it either. Our group for the Dolphin Encounter had four families. Everyone had a turn dancing, rubbing and feeding the dolphin and getting a "kiss." Those that wanted could also rub its tongue and feel its teeth. A couple of the families in our group didn't follow directions too well and we could tell the trainer was getting frustrated. We were patient and let everyone else go before us. The trainer said since we were patient and were the last group, we were going to get a little extra time with the dolphins. The trainer had the dolphin go get a "present" for my daughter. The trainer said sometimes the dolphin comes back with a live present. This time it brought back a stone from the bottom of the lagoon and gave it to my daughter. We also did a "beached dolphin" photo which was extra but well worth it. Basically, they have a dolphin hop out of the water onto a wet mat and you have a picture taken with it. It will make a great Christmas card picture. After the Dolphin Encounter, you can go and use there beach which looked very nice. Not crowded at all. We were told that some of the beach scenes from the movie Splash were filmed there.
Thanks cmb048! I really appreciate all the detail in your info! I know we want to do it, but now I really can't wait! And thanks for the tip on the "beached dolphin" photo!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
tylerandalexsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Mom View Post
We did the BLue Lagoone Dolphin encounter with DD3 in May-WE LOVED IT. The trainer was hilarious and my daughter still talks about the dolphin spitting water in daddys face. We didnt stick around after for the beach cuz we were hoping to exlore Nassaus history. Husband wasnt prepared for the "culture" so we headed back to the ship

On another note, I recently bought a playsport handheld Video camera... I LLOOOVVVEE IT! Cant wait to take it on a cruise....it is waterproof and does pictures and video. Its just a bit bigger then a cell phone. I paid like 129 for it and it was the best thing i bought recently
Luv the encounter info!

Is the brand playsport? How do the pictures do?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
tylerandalexsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkmom2 View Post
I am looking for a keeper underwater camera. I have a Kodak Easy Share and it takes good pictures but is several years old and cannot be used underwater. I am leaning toward the fugi underwater camera.
Here's a thread that has some pic and reviews.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rwater+cameras
Thanks, I'll take a look - is it fast? I have my "good" camera (canon 30D) for speed, and then my "point & shoot" (nikon coolpix) for size & convenience - (but I hate how slow it is). So I want a waterproof that's small but fast! (I know, I don't ask for much.....)

Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
cmb048
Earning My Ears

You're welcome, tylerandalexsmom! If you have any other questions, just let me know.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

Sorry should have been more specific about the camera... Kodak Playsport. I think the stills are just fine. Havent had it long. It takes HD video and like 5.1 megapixel stills. The video is mainly what I bought it for but even the underwater pics are great.
RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
TraciM
DIS Veteran

Sorry for chiming in on your thread. We are going to Nassau next year and I am considering doing this as a surprise for my kids. They have asked the past 2 cruises so I guess it is time. LOL After the dolphin encounter on Blue Lagoon do you spend the remainder of the day at the beach? How much time does it occupy? Could we have the best of both worlds? LOL If we don’t do the encounter than I am looking at the beach day. We have previously been to Nassau so “sightseeing” is of no interest to me. Any information would be great. TIA!
TraciM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: