Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #31
princessnpirate
Mouseketeer

My last cruise DS was 4 so we did not use Flounders but I have a DD who will be 19 month when we sail. I appreciate getting a good look at it since I did not pay attention last time. CANNOT WAIT!
princessnpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #32
mickey7879
Stay at home mommy to a Disney baby Tyler (3 yrs old) and anniversary baby Jackson (9 months old). Happily married to the love of my life, Mark, for 10 yrs.

Love all the tips and pictures! I'm like a lot of people....I've sailed before but was before we had kids, so never paid any attention to the kids programs or areas. Our son will be 15 months when we sail.

Anyone have a picture of that the strollers from Guest Services or at Castaway Cay look like? Can you only get the stroller from Guest Services to use for the day or can you use it the whole trip and return it before you leave? We have the Baby Trend Sit and Stand double stroller and are debating whether to bring it on the ship or leave it in the car. We're planning on only taking the kids on shore at Key West and Castaway Cay. Not sure what we should do. On the ship, our 3 yr old probably wouldn't need a stroller, but probably would on Key West since we're planning on doing a lot of walking.

Decisions, decisions! We have an umbrella stroller, but it doesn't do much good since it has no umbrella. Would like to keep the kids out of the sun as much as possible.

What's your 2 cents?

Don't take your role too serious. In the whole scheme of things, you're no better than anyone else.....
mickey7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #33
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

Our DS turned 2 on our last cruise and we left the stroller at home. He was totally fine on the cruise. I'd carry him on my shoulders around ports if we had to, but he walked 90% of the time... I didn't even know about the strollers from GS and he was fine and easy.

We are cruising soon (as you can see on my sig) and our plan is to bring an umbrella stroller for our DS1 at the time. I don't think shade is as big of a deal on the ship as you may think. Deck 9 is covered along both sides, so there's no need for DS15mos to be in the sun if you take your shade-less umbrella stroller. If I were you, I'd bring the umbrella and chance it to take one from GS if needed. Good luck!

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #34
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

Oh, and one BIG thing to bring on the ship is a little watering can and a pail (like little!... holds 8oz or less) for the "water play area" that they have for toddlers. Our son was the hit of the party at the water play area with his little watering can and pail that we bought on the beach in Grand Cayman. Now, we've bought one for our next cruise for DS1. Other kids kept getting drink station cups and bringing them into the play area and the lifeguards kept confiscating them. So note to bring some little water play toys for toddlers.

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #35
michellert
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisWitt View Post
Oh, and one BIG thing to bring on the ship is a little watering can and a pail (like little!... holds 8oz or less) for the "water play area" that they have for toddlers. Our son was the hit of the party at the water play area with his little watering can and pail that we bought on the beach in Grand Cayman. Now, we've bought one for our next cruise for DS1. Other kids kept getting drink station cups and bringing them into the play area and the lifeguards kept confiscating them. So note to bring some little water play toys for toddlers.
Such a great tip, thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

The strollers you can get on the ship are standard joggers (three wheels), they work quite well. And the wagons on CC are perfect! All three of my kids sat in one.

I also wanted to mention that the pack n' play does fit in a cat. 11 just fine and out of the way if you wedge it between the bed and the wall. This is what we did and it was perfect and out of the way! We were even able to close the curtain during naptime and then she was right by us at night and if she did cry she didn't wake up the other two.

My daughter was 18 months old when we cruised and we didn't use Flounders but we would walk her into the club to play with her older bro and sis and she loved playing in there! Especially the little slide and no one cared that we hung out.

DCL: 2011 11-night Med, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California: July 2012
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #37
tartemis
DIS Veteran

I have a quick question that I'm hoping y'all can answer. I have never done a Disney cruise, but we were seriously considering taking one this winter with our 2 girls who would be 3 1/2 and 18 months -- until I read the fine print on the brochure, which said that kids that aren't potty-trained can't be in any of the pools even if they are in a swim diaper. Is that really true? My 3 1/2 year old has been potty trained since she was 2 so she isn't the issue, but I highly doubt I can get my youngest trained by 18 months. She is a huge swimmer, so there is no way I would take her on a cruise if she won't be allowed in the pool. (And I would never leave her at home, either.)

Thanks!
tartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #38
jasonpicken
Mouseketeer

unfortunately government regulations don't allow any child that is not trained into a pool on a cruise ship. disney ships have a water play area for kids who wear swim diapers. our daughter found the area to be quite enjoyable, but i was originally bummed out she couldn't go in the pool. i'll try and dig up a picture of the splash area.
jasonpicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
noelk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartemis View Post
I have a quick question that I'm hoping y'all can answer. I have never done a Disney cruise, but we were seriously considering taking one this winter with our 2 girls who would be 3 1/2 and 18 months -- until I read the fine print on the brochure, which said that kids that aren't potty-trained can't be in any of the pools even if they are in a swim diaper. Is that really true? My 3 1/2 year old has been potty trained since she was 2 so she isn't the issue, but I highly doubt I can get my youngest trained by 18 months. She is a huge swimmer, so there is no way I would take her on a cruise if she won't be allowed in the pool. (And I would never leave her at home, either.)

Thanks!
This is certainly one reason we chose Disney for our Feb. 2011 cruise, when our youngest daughter will be 2 years old. We don't expect she'll be potty trained, so we're glad she'll have the splash area to play in. Most other cruise ships don't have any such area for toddlers in swim diapers. Back in Jan 2010 we did a seven day cruise on Carnival Glory and there certainly wasn't an area for little kids...wasn't a huge issue then, she wasn't even one year old yet.
December 1993 - WDW (Epcot)
December 1983 - WDW (MK, Epcot)
1973 - WDW (MK)
noelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #40
jasonpicken
Mouseketeer

here's disney's description of the water area:

"Also for infants and toddlers is Mickey's Splash Zone, a water playground inspired by The Sorcerer's Apprentice from Disney's "Fantasia." This extension to the Mickey Pool features star- and moon-shaped interactive fountains, a soft play surface and whimsical splash zones, creating an inviting environment for children not yet toilet trained and in swim diapers"
jasonpicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #41
Melino
Earning My Ears

Three words....A Maze Ing.
Great info everyone! Well worth the read.

Melino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #42
ccsmith312
Earning My Ears

Thanks for posting these tips! I'm trying to convince my DH to take our youngest with us on our cruise next fall. DS2 will be 18 mos at the time. My older two can use the kid's clubs, they will be 4 and 6 years old by then, and much easier to manage than our walking toddler. We have a good babysitter in Grandma, and DH feels our youngest would enjoy more the time at her house than being on the boat with us. It's hard to leave them at home though! Anyway, thanks for posting these tips!

Mom's Simple Guide to the Disney Magic
ccsmith312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #43
nashville_minnie
Mouseketeer

thanks for posting these tips - we are likely going to cruise with a 9m old in Sept '11. your info is so helpful!!
thousands of visits to WDW (former WDWCP & FT cast member)
nashville_minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #44
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

My kids will be 3 1/2 yrs. and 10 months when we go on our first cruise in May. I am definitely looking for tips!
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #45
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Great tips! We are cruising with our 8 month old in a couple of months. We're going on RCCL, but I'm writing down a lot of the tips from this post.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: