Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #2236
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
CRAP!! Some idiot called a bomb threat in to my office building. So now I'm sitting in a coffee shop a few blocks away, trying to get some work done on my iPad. But I've got two motions to get filed today, and most of what I need to get them drafted is on my desk in my office.

Oh, and it's raining. Hard. Walking back out to my car from the coffee shop is going to suck, because I was too stupid to grab my umbrella when I got to the coffee shop. DOH!

Can I just leave for Disney World now? Pretty please?
Aaahhh, Government Service I do know the feeling.....Repeat after me: Just a little longer. Just a little longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'm sorry to bring the thread down again, but I have some bad news to share. I'm currently sitting next to my mom's bed in a hospice facility, watching her sleep. She had a brain aneurysm 6 years ago, and back then the doctors didn't think she would have very much longer. With surgery and therapy she was able to live at home for a little while, but has been in a memory care/assisted living place for the last few years. A few weeks ago she started taking a turn for the worse and the past weekend she was moved here. Basically, they provide comfort care, not curative. No one is sure what to expect - from a few hours to a few weeks.
Sitting here is very surreal and emotional.
It just reminds me that life is short and life is fragile. Don't pass up an opportunity to tell your family how much they mean to you. And most of all - live your life so you won't have any regrets. "I shouldn't have done such-and-such" or "I really wish I had done this-or-that." That's how my mom taught me to live, and I can only hope and strive to be half the person she is.
Brother, you are in my thoughts and prayers....no one, on this board, need ever apologize for anything like this...In my opinion...MAN LAW

Welcome to the new dads...here they come

As far as you guys working to lose weight....I had a Staff Sergeant come in every morning and say "Sir, you're getting fat..." that kept me on my toes

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 09-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #2237
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Barry, Prayers for you and your family.
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,8)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #2238
BirdsLightyear
Mouseketeer

OK SO I WALK IN FROM WORK TODAY AND MY WIFE SAID I MOVE ARE DV..I SAID WHEN IS IT...SHE SAID SAT (THIS SAT)...SO WISH ME LUCK...GET TEN PPL READY TO GO IN TWO DAYS FOR A WEEKS WORTH OF STUFF
Chris - DisDads Club Member #510 DisDads Facebook Group Member and Dad to 8 little Eagles fans in the making.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #2239
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Brother, you are in my thoughts and prayers....no one, on this board, need ever apologize for anything like this...In my opinion...MAN LAW
second
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #2240
unclescrooge_0707
I'M ON THE RIGHT!!!
DDC 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
On a semi-related note, since it is now 12:15 here, technically its our 9th anniversary. (and yes, 9 years ago we had a few "changes" to our wedding day due to current events at the time) I feel very lucky to have found the one woman (and there can be only one) that I just seem to be a perfect match for.

OK, so she may roll the occasional eye at my cheesy one-liners and bad puns, but I think she still loves me.
Congratulations. We have 9 years, 3 months, and 4 kids to show for our relationship.

@FreeznRafiki. - Thoughts & prayers.

My completed first Trip Report:
I'm not a foodie, but I play one at WDW - completed through lack of updates 6/14/11!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #2241
TCARON
Mouseketeer

Newbie to this thread

Recently got an iPod Touch and immediately downloaded a bunch of DIS podcasts. Never used these before. Only took a week to get hooked on the podcasts an two to hear about this thread.

Looking forward to sharing and viewing!

Tom C
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #2242
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARON View Post
Recently got an iPod Touch and immediately downloaded a bunch of DIS podcasts. Never used these before. Only took a week to get hooked on the podcasts an two to hear about this thread.

Tom C
Welcome Tom!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #2243
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

@ Chris, know that we are praying for your family.
@ Barry, i unfortunately know all too well what your feeling, with my father having his brain tumor and passing away. The only advice I can give is talk to your friends and family about it and we all here would be more than happy to listen.

On the one year anniversary of his death I was standing in Epcot watching Illuminations ,thinking how awesome it would be to have him there with me.

All of us should go home tonight and give our families a hug

Let us all be thankful for our health and happiness.
Live life to it's fullest my friends.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #2244
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Duplicate..

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2245
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

So here's another update on my FIL. Again I'll say, attitude and environment sure do help! Here he is this morning, enjoying the patio outside his dining room. The view, even though not super broad, is unable to ever be changed since there is a public access stairwell right across the street going down to the beach - 110 steps - certainly nothing he can do any longer, but still, it provides a lovely view. His hospital bed is situated inside, facing one of the two sets of sliding glass doors, looking at this same view, except more to the left of this shot, from his living room.

Thanks again guys for the prayers and support. I had a nice conversation with DW late this afternoon, and she is feeling very good right now, even about coming home on Saturday. I asked if she wanted to extend (again), but she said no, not now. But perhaps she'll go back out for a long weekend in October, which is cool with me.

They've had some nice conversations over the past couple of days, and she's feeling very good about the situation at this point. She also said that he seems to be coming to grips with it all more, and while very hopeful, is finally realizing the severity of it, and is openly talking about plans of different kinds. One "plan" he has (though she doesn't see it happening, of course), is to try and have the whole family take a big trip together - he's talking Hawaii, or Alaska, or some such big, "memorable" trip ...something like that. While she indulged his thoughts, we don't see anything like that happening. But the docs and hospice folks have all said not to discourage that kind of talk, and if he feels up to it, and can manage his pain effectively, they are actually encouraging of partaking of such a thing. While nice in theory, it's probably more just for his own mental well being to let him go through the paces of such thinking. But no matter. If it makes him happy to think about, that's great.

Earlier I said he'd have someone in 3x per week to help with his personal needs - well that was only part of the story. Apparently there are 3 different people, all doing something different, who will be in at least 3x per week. One medical, one physical, and one spiritual - plus all of those other volunteers to entertain if he so chooses. Plus there's someone always on call 24/7 if there is an emergency situation that needs attending to, just a phone call away. And then if family absolutely cannot be present for something, they can call and someone will come sit with him for up to 4 hours at at time, though they discourage this except in the most extreme of cases as they really want family to be the first line of action. But he cannot be left alone, for fear of falling again, or breaking something else, so there might be an instance or two when they need to utilize it.

But this picture, which my DW just posted on FB this afternoon, makes me smile. He's thinner than ever before, and sitting in a wheelchair, but he's just happy as a lark right here, so again I say it was entirely worth it to send her out west for a while.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 09-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #2246
gerows
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARON View Post

Tom C
Welcome Tom. Where in MA are you from? I live close to the intersection of Rt 2 and 495 in Clinton.
Port Orleans Dec 07
SSR April 09
Pop Century Aug 09
AKV Aug 09
OKW Dec 10
AKV Dec 10 (Christmas in Disney)
VB May 11
SSR Dec 11

DIS Dad member #516
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #2247
Explodo
There's Something About Mary (Poppins)

Freezin,

You're family is in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless Brother, It'll be ok.

And if there was a way to THIRD something I would.

The manlaw commitee needs to hold an emergency meeting
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #2248
BirdsLightyear
Mouseketeer

I have a question does anyone know how much the tolls are from philly to disneyworld...thank you
Chris - DisDads Club Member #510 DisDads Facebook Group Member and Dad to 8 little Eagles fans in the making.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #2249
TCARON
Mouseketeer

Hi gerows,

We are from Bridgewater, MA DVC's since 2001. Just back from Bay Towers trip. Just plain love the place. Youngest son is 21 oldest of the four is 30.

We are all headed to Boardwalk Villas with daughter-in-law in three weeks.

Tom C
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #2250
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'm sorry to bring the thread down again, but I have some bad news to share. I'm currently sitting next to my mom's bed in a hospice facility, watching her sleep. She had a brain aneurysm 6 years ago, and back then the doctors didn't think she would have very much longer. With surgery and therapy she was able to live at home for a little while, but has been in a memory care/assisted living place for the last few years. A few weeks ago she started taking a turn for the worse and the past weekend she was moved here. Basically, they provide comfort care, not curative. No one is sure what to expect - from a few hours to a few weeks.
Sitting here is very surreal and emotional.
It just reminds me that life is short and life is fragile. Don't pass up an opportunity to tell your family how much they mean to you. And most of all - live your life so you won't have any regrets. "I shouldn't have done such-and-such" or "I really wish I had done this-or-that." That's how my mom taught me to live, and I can only hope and strive to be half the person she is.
Barry, I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom. I have not had to deal with such a loss in my life up to this point and dread the day that I know we will all face if we ourselves live long enough. We are not only praying for your Mom to be comfortable but for you and the rest of the family to have peace and comfort yourselves as the next few days or weeks unfold for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
Sorry to hear the news Barry,will have her and family in our prayers.

Things like this is what amazes me about the DDC.Here we have 500+ guys that get together and share their life experiences.Though some of us have never met,we are like family.We can come in here and share our happiness, our sadness,or just our thoughts.There is always someone here to pick you up when you need it, to offer you advice,maybe even just to talk to you,or even just be here to listen. I am honored to know the members of the DDC,and will be honored even more to get to meets some of you.
Carl, you could not have stated that any better. WE are truly a group of Dads from all over the country who have somehow managed without ever meeting to become great friends. I think Facebook has helped with that also. So, any of you Dads not with us on Facebook get on there. Part of my daily routine is to see what you guys are up to on here and on FAcebook. Without knowing it...you have managed to be uplifting on days I needed it.

Chris, I liked the picture that you posted of your Father In Law. I can just imagine the smile on his face as he looks out on such a beautiful view each day. I truly hope that his dream of memorable trip somehow becomes a reailty!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: