Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #1261
WDW Fan
Mouseketeer
 
WDW Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 349

Just got all caught up on your last few updates! The Plaza Restaurant looked very disappointing in not only the meal presentation but the darkness with all those curtains drawn. I loved your update about the snake at the pool and how the sunbathers were just sitting around oblivious while the snake slithered through the landscaping! I know there are lots of snakes in Florida but I've never personally seen one in all my trips there. I have a fear of snakes too so I hope I never encounter one while I'm there! The pictures you posted of your children on their first day of school were beautiful! I loved their backpacks and lunch bags also. Sure sounds like the kiddos are going to be quite busy with all their activities. I use to take horseback riding lessons too and I enjoyed it very much. I tried to get my daughters to take some interest in it but they had other ideas of fun. You couldn't get a more gorgeous setting than the picture you posted of the sea in the background where the girl was riding in the ring.
__________________
LINDA
WDW Fan is offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #1262
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Great back-to-school pics!!! I always worry that my kids are doing too many activities....

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #1263
cdotla
Trish
 
cdotla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 2,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
Yum! Pumpkin spice latte....sure sign of fall. My SIL lives in NS and Earl had her power out for a few hours and a tree took out her van

Your kids are so cute! I remember when I could dress my boys up in matching outfits! Those days are looong gone.

Have you tried that febreeze again? I am really intrigued. I'm not much of a spray user but I think I need to get this one.
Enjoy fall........I can't wait for more updates!
I am a total sucker for matching my kids. I even have a couple outfits that match with them. Until one day I realized that putting on matching Lilly Pulitzer bikinis with a 5 or 6 yr old was not the most flattering thing you can do! Even if you are a size 2, you are going to look large next to a skinny 6 yr old! Perhaps Gwyneth Paltrow can get away with it...I sure can't!

However, until they revolt, I still get 1 or 2 matching/coordinating outfits a year for the kids. I am a sucker for it!

As for Fabreze....we are still using it. And I continue to get the odd whiff of the Disney Beach Club at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Fan View Post
Just got all caught up on your last few updates! The Plaza Restaurant looked very disappointing in not only the meal presentation but the darkness with all those curtains drawn. I loved your update about the snake at the pool and how the sunbathers were just sitting around oblivious while the snake slithered through the landscaping! I know there are lots of snakes in Florida but I've never personally seen one in all my trips there. I have a fear of snakes too so I hope I never encounter one while I'm there! The pictures you posted of your children on their first day of school were beautiful! I loved their backpacks and lunch bags also. Sure sounds like the kiddos are going to be quite busy with all their activities. I use to take horseback riding lessons too and I enjoyed it very much. I tried to get my daughters to take some interest in it but they had other ideas of fun. You couldn't get a more gorgeous setting than the picture you posted of the sea in the background where the girl was riding in the ring.
Believe it or not - there were no "curtains" at the Plaza. That was just a painted backdrop. It was literally boarded up on both sides of the window. It was bad. Really bad!

We were really impressed with the horse show and facility as well....it was beautiful! I can't think of many other places I would like to hang out as a parent if Katie ends up getting into riding and competing. Chris can take the hockey rinks and I will take the horse events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Great back-to-school pics!!! I always worry that my kids are doing too many activities....

Amanda
Thanks Amanda!

I know what you mean about activity overload. I actually had to cut dance out of Katie's schedule, which was really hard to do. She has been dancing since she was 3. However, it came down to riding or dance, and as far as Katie was concerned, there was no contest.

Saturdays Katie will do riding, Declan will do hockey, and they will both do gymnastics.

Sunday mornings in Sept and Oct they will swim, and in Jan and Feb, they will ski. Apart from that, the rest of our Sundays are free.

Wednesday afternoons they have skating and Thursday piano. So I think that should work. Hopefully! I don't want to over-schedule, but I like them being active, learning the importance of sport and socializing too.
cdotla is offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #1264
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,254

Adorable BTS pics and I love the view from the horse facility, wow! That Declan is going to be a heartbreaker.

I am at the Lilly Pulitzer swimsuit comment.

Schedules are hard and trying to manage what works best at any given time is a constant juggling act, at least for me.
eandesmom is offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #1265
jillianml
Mouseketeer
 
jillianml's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ohio
Posts: 324

Just read your trip from start to finish!I know how you feel about a disney resistant husband!My DD age 11 and I went without my husband for our 1st trip back in june!I luv your pics on the boardwalk and love your dress!Cant wait to read more!Tonya
__________________
June 2010 Disney Vero Beach Resort and Wilderness lodge May 2011 Pop Century March 2013 All Star Movies
jillianml is offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1266
Spartangirl
DIS Veteran
 
Spartangirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: "The Mitten"
Posts: 1,679

Oh my gosh...your kids are just the cutest! I LOVE the back to school pics...so adorable!

Sounds like they have a nice variety of activities to keep them both going...it must be very busy, but exciting at your house!

Oh how I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks...didn't realize they were already BACK!!! I know where I'm going to be heading soon!
Spartangirl is offline  
Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1267
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
I know what you mean about activity overload. I actually had to cut dance out of Katie's schedule, which was really hard to do. She has been dancing since she was 3. However, it came down to riding or dance, and as far as Katie was concerned, there was no contest.

Saturdays Katie will do riding, Declan will do hockey, and they will both do gymnastics.

Sunday mornings in Sept and Oct they will swim, and in Jan and Feb, they will ski. Apart from that, the rest of our Sundays are free.

Wednesday afternoons they have skating and Thursday piano. So I think that should work. Hopefully! I don't want to over-schedule, but I like them being active, learning the importance of sport and socializing too.
I totally agree! It's such a struggle to maintain balance.
I really have to limit the week day activities because of job restrictions. Luckily Nathaniel has a few activities at the after-school program - one sports clinic a week (hopefully soccer), chess club, and sometimes a cooking class or a mad science class. Our weekends are jam-packed with kid activities and that's with saying NO to a lot of things (Nathaniel had to give up Tae Kwon Do because he has 2 hours of Hebrew School on Saturday mornings, for example).

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #1268
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 86,634

All caught up! Great updates and I love the shots of Declan and Katie on school day.

Pity about BBB but good that you didn't have to pay the cancellation fee. And thanks for finding and getting rid of the snake the week before I got to BCV !

It must have been snake week that week; because we were at POR and I saw a couple of snakes whilst there (thankfully no where near the pool).
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #1269
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...
 
podsnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 6,837

Oh, how dreary in the Plaza!! I really LOVED your pics from inside a few years ago, though- the yellow chairs and umbrella in front of the castle- so cheerful!! We have never eaten there, but I am thinking our first visit will have to wait until the refurb is done!

We saw a big, fat, black snake when we were golfing at Osprey Ridge last year- it scooted right across the path when we were driving to the next hole, and slithered into the bushes. I thought it was cool, snakes don't freak me out, but, it also cured me FOR LIFE of ever looking for a lost ball in the rough at a WDW golf course! Although that was not dangerous, I do remember reading a while back about a kid who was walking by some bushes and went looking for a ball, I think- and was bitten. THAT was BAD. There's alot of snakes at WDW, apparently it's the happiest place on earth for THEM, too.
podsnel is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #1270
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
 
brookelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,157

What a way to start your time at the pool! I would have been freaked and refused to get in until they had that thing contained. Glad it provided some entertainment for the boys though.

Great pictures of the kids!! Sounds like a very fun and busy year ahead for them...and you!
__________________
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #1271
mickeysmyboy


DIS Veteran
 
mickeysmyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,690

Joining into the fun! Someone, it may have been eandesmom, pointed me in the direction of your TR after a little discussion about critters at WDW! Holy moly! That snake! I would have freaked!

I just spent sometime reading your TR! I'm so sorry things didn't go exactly as planned! Resistant is a good word to describe your DH! You photo shoot pics are absolutely beautiful! I love them! It's great that they came out so good even with everyone resisting!

Can't wait for more!
__________________
Me, DH, DD10, DS9, DS4
mickeysmyboy is offline  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #1272
cdotla
Trish
 
cdotla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 2,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Adorable BTS pics and I love the view from the horse facility, wow! That Declan is going to be a heartbreaker.

I am at the Lilly Pulitzer swimsuit comment.

Schedules are hard and trying to manage what works best at any given time is a constant juggling act, at least for me.
Yes...we were definitely impressed with the horse facility...and the view! It was pretty amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianml View Post
Just read your trip from start to finish!I know how you feel about a disney resistant husband!My DD age 11 and I went without my husband for our 1st trip back in june!I luv your pics on the boardwalk and love your dress!Cant wait to read more!Tonya

Hello and Welcome! Thanks so much for posting!

So how was your 1st trip with your daughter? Hopefully your husband will get intrigued to return with you on the next trip after he hears your stories and sees your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangirl View Post
Oh my gosh...your kids are just the cutest! I LOVE the back to school pics...so adorable!

Sounds like they have a nice variety of activities to keep them both going...it must be very busy, but exciting at your house!

Oh how I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks...didn't realize they were already BACK!!! I know where I'm going to be heading soon!
So have your 1st Pumpkin Spice latte of the season yet?

Fortunately we are now full swing into school and fall activities. Everyone has transitioned really well and we are all enjoying September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I totally agree! It's such a struggle to maintain balance.
I really have to limit the week day activities because of job restrictions. Luckily Nathaniel has a few activities at the after-school program - one sports clinic a week (hopefully soccer), chess club, and sometimes a cooking class or a mad science class. Our weekends are jam-packed with kid activities and that's with saying NO to a lot of things (Nathaniel had to give up Tae Kwon Do because he has 2 hours of Hebrew School on Saturday mornings, for example).
You definitely can't fit in everything, can you?

We kicked off all of our activities (except hockey, which starts later this month) this weekend. All went smoothly. The kids loved, loved, loved gymnastics, which was new to them this year. And Katie was over-the-moon yesterday riding a horse on her first lesson. Then they have swimming lessons this morning.

I am loving the pace of our weekends this year, and in retrospect, I made a very good call dropping Dance for Katie. It was a hard decision because she had danced since she was 3 years old. However, I have never seen her as excited for dance as she was yesterday afternoon to be at the stables.
cdotla is offline  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #1273
cdotla
Trish
 
cdotla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 2,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
All caught up! Great updates and I love the shots of Declan and Katie on school day.

Pity about BBB but good that you didn't have to pay the cancellation fee. And thanks for finding and getting rid of the snake the week before I got to BCV !

It must have been snake week that week; because we were at POR and I saw a couple of snakes whilst there (thankfully no where near the pool).
I am sure that there are plenty of snakes getting in the resorts and parks all over WDW. We just don't hear about the vast majority of them. Thank god!!!

Glad to hear you didn't have any snake sightings at SAB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Oh, how dreary in the Plaza!! I really LOVED your pics from inside a few years ago, though- the yellow chairs and umbrella in front of the castle- so cheerful!! We have never eaten there, but I am thinking our first visit will have to wait until the refurb is done!

We saw a big, fat, black snake when we were golfing at Osprey Ridge last year- it scooted right across the path when we were driving to the next hole, and slithered into the bushes. I thought it was cool, snakes don't freak me out, but, it also cured me FOR LIFE of ever looking for a lost ball in the rough at a WDW golf course! Although that was not dangerous, I do remember reading a while back about a kid who was walking by some bushes and went looking for a ball, I think- and was bitten. THAT was BAD. There's alot of snakes at WDW, apparently it's the happiest place on earth for THEM, too.
You should definitely try the Plaza - great little place! Little tip: it is awesome for ice cream. Even if you aren't eating a full meal, if you want somewhere to go inside in air conditioning and beautiful surroundings to enjoy an ice cream sundae - this is your place!

If I ever find myself on a golf course in Florida (very unlikely), I will definitely take your advice and not go hunting for lost balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
What a way to start your time at the pool! I would have been freaked and refused to get in until they had that thing contained. Glad it provided some entertainment for the boys though.

Great pictures of the kids!! Sounds like a very fun and busy year ahead for them...and you!
Well I am glad to know that my shocked reaction to the snake was normal. I thought I was being silly as we all know that snakes like that are common in Florida. However, when you don't live in a hot climate, they are definitely a surprise to encounter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Joining into the fun! Someone, it may have been eandesmom, pointed me in the direction of your TR after a little discussion about critters at WDW! Holy moly! That snake! I would have freaked!

I just spent sometime reading your TR! I'm so sorry things didn't go exactly as planned! Resistant is a good word to describe your DH! You photo shoot pics are absolutely beautiful! I love them! It's great that they came out so good even with everyone resisting!

Can't wait for more!
Thanks for posting, and Welcome!

That snake story is hard to forget, isn't it? I really wish I could go back to the old days of lying back close to palm trees and greenery, with my eyes closed, drifting into a deep relaxed state. But sadly, I fear that the vision of this black snake darting through the bushes around the unsuspecting sunbathers is going to interfere with that!

Thanks for your comments on our photos! I really love them too!
cdotla is offline  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #1274
cdotla
Trish
 
cdotla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 2,902

Dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table

After our shocking snake encounter at Stormalong Bay, and a little less relaxing than planned pool experience, we headed back to the room to get cleaned up for our night out at the Magic Kingdom.

On the drive over to the Magic Kingdom both kids fell asleep. They stayed asleep as we transferred them to the jogging stroller and as we made our way through bag check, the turnstiles, and out onto Main Street, USA.














Just as we were headed up Main Street, the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Parade was going by. But even that didn't rouse them.







Finally, we made our way over to the Castle for dinner.






(Continued)


Last edited by cdotla; 09-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
cdotla is offline  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #1275
cdotla
Trish
 
cdotla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 2,902






We arrived at the Castle right on time for our dinner reservation and almost immediately we were called into the Castle foyer area where everyone lines up for their pictures with Cinderella.

It was a bit of a struggle when we arrived at the Castle waking up both of the kids and getting them out of the stroller. But Katie did pretty good once she was up. Declan....not so much. He remained pretty tired and cranky and refused to pose for our pictures with Cinderella. As a result, the only photos we had taken that evening were of Katie with Cinderella.












Unbeknownst to me, while I was taking my photo of Katie with Cinderella the Photopass photographer took a picture of Declan being cranky on the bench with Chris and my MIL. I would not have thought to do that, but I am glad he did! It makes for a funny image, and helps to tell the backstory on why Declan (and the rest of the family) aren't featured in our photos with Cinderella that night.





(Continued)


Last edited by cdotla; 09-12-2010 at 03:05 PM.
cdotla is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: