Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #991
nickandregan
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #992
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Many details

Nick, there are many details that go into the perfect Disney vacation and your resort is just one of them. For us, with our mobility problems, the resort and how close our room is to everything it is a major part but for the young, healthy and very mobile it is not much of one usually because you are in the parks from dawn to dark.

Just figure out what your most important elements are and plan accordingly and be flexible and you will have a great time. If you dwell on the small things that do not go according to plan you can miss the big picture.

You are at the right place for good advice. Read different posts and find some that are compatible with your thoughts and then ask. Most folk love to share their knowledge.

Happy trip and looking forward to hearing how it went for you when you return.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #993
Bork
Goofy about Disney

We stayed at Sports for the first time a couple weeks ago and we enjoyed it. The only reason we picked it was because it was the only value resort with standard room openings during free dining. I had requested a room in Homerun, near the parking lot since we drove. They gave us one better. We were on the 3rd floor of Touchdown building 7, in the corner right by the parking lot. It was really nice to be so close to the car and we loved driving everywhere. It was also very close to the food court. So it was the best of both worlds.

One drawback was hauling suitcases and cooler on arrival and departure. Either hall everything to the elevators, which was a short walk and then walk back toward the room. Or take stuff up and down the stairs, which were right there. We chose the stairs for the most part.

We had stayed at Music a couple times in the past. Sports was a lot more compact, which was nice. Last time at Music, we ended up in Broadway, 20 miles from the main building and buses.

The Food Court at Sports seemed worse than Music, though.

But overall, we'd probably stay at Sports again, due to convenience.

Disneyland:
1998 Castle Inn & Suites | 2003 Little Boy Blue | 2012 Super 8
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #994
DISNEYNY
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post
We had stayed at Music a couple times in the past. Sports was a lot more compact, which was nice. Last time at Music, we ended up in Broadway, 20 miles from the main building and buses.

The Food Court at Sports seemed worse than Music, though.

But overall, we'd probably stay at Sports again, due to convenience.
We recently stayed at Music in the Broadway section. I found the walk to be really long. We have stayed in Sports for 3 recent visits and really do like it better. As you said it is much more compact and no walk seemed long to me. We stayed in Homerun. Basketball & Surfs Up. My daughter also liked their foodcourt better. They had boneless wings there...they are her favorite and they don't have them at Music.
2000 & 01 OFF SITE, 02 ASSP, 03 ASMU, 04 POP, 05 POR, 06 ASMO, 07 ASMU AND SSR, 08 POP,Dec 08 ASSP , Aug 09 CBR & ASSP , Dec 09 POP Feb 10 ESPN wknd, Aug 10 AKL-ASMU Free dining, POR Dec 10 FDP Disneyland July 11

DISNEYNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #995
MickMan
DIS Veteran

It is a very compact hotel. None of the buildings are a long walk at all.

MickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #996
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

We just returned from 6 nights at ASSp.... sorry to say that it was NOT our cup of tea.... While they were extremely helpful to us, we just didn't enjoy the vibe.... I had requested a ground floor room with handicap accessible railings. We got that.. in building 7... seemed good. However, it was a king-sized bed (which I had stated to my Mother that I hated) and the tub was a bit hard for DM to get in and out of. Soooo on our second day there, DM decided to complain about it.... and they relocated us to building 1... still 1st floor, double beds and walk-in shower. Problem was I had parked by building 7 and when I left building 1 to find the car it was a verrrrrry long walk!!!! We also got a credit for an extra nights stay (which we were unable to do, due to prior plans) So they said they would credit it to our credit card.... still waiting for that to happen.

I think that the reason we didn't like it was that it felt tooo compact. We had to circle the main pool to get to the main hall and bus stops.... (there was no way to go to buses by going around the main hall) and because we couldn't do the steps, we had to go right past the smokers spot to get to our room. Buses weren't too bad... but if we do value again, it will have to Pop. I am hoping to be able to go again next year and we are looking at por for an upgrade.

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!

Last edited by ShhhQ; 09-13-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: wrong building number... corrected
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #997
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Sorry you had so many problems. Now that you know you want two beds request that and double check at check in that they gave you your request. From my experiences at Pop they do not credit you anything when something goes wrong and I am glad to hear Sports seems to actually care.

There actually is a way around the buildings to get to the busses because that was the way we went when we were there last, sorry you missed it. There is also more than one door into the main building to keep from of having to go through the smoking section. In case you have not stayed at Pop before keep in mind that at Pop you have to go past the smoking section there too as you leave and enter the main building doors unless you walk around the main buidling or through the gift shop and food area and if you are in the buildings with the pools you will have to walk past those too. It's better to know what to expect than be surprised, right.

Everyone likes something different and that is why they have so many choices. I like the compact feel of Sports better than the more spread out feel of all the other values and most moderates but that is just my preference.

I hope your next stay is better and I am sure you will enjoy any of the other values because they are less compact.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #998
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

To clarify my earlier statement... we have twice stayed at Pop and wanted to try something new and that is why we chose ASSp. When we were in building 7 there was no issue with the smoking area or the pool... we went along the side of the building to the automatic door (there was one that entered into the dining hall portion, but since we were using WC and ECV it was hard to get thru) Once we moved to building 1, the shortest route to main hall was circling the pool and up the ramp that the smoking area was located on. We could have gone another direction, but that would have taken us the long way. I did NOT see any sidewalks that led around the main hall... so we went thru the building. At Pop... we never got a stones throw away from the pools unless we chose to go near it..... also we didn't have to go past the smoking area to enter the main hall... as it was more set to the side than the on the main route. We also didn't enter the main hall unless we wanted to, it was easy to pass around it.

Now, I am not putting down ASSp... as I said before, it just wasn't our cup of tea. Not everyone likes the same things...

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #999
MickMan
DIS Veteran

ShhhQ thanks for your review and it is true that everyone has different likes and dislikes about each resort.

Hopefully your review will help someone in the future.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #1000
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

ShhhQ,

I didn't feel you were putting down ASSp so no worries. I just wanted to clarify things for anyone who has not been there and just figured you might not have explored to find the hidden paths.

I understand about sports not being your cup of tea that is why I said "Everyone likes something different and that is why they have so many choices. I like the compact feel of Sports better than the more spread out feel of all the other values and most moderates but that is just my preference." It is good to hear different opinions so others can read them and decide what might be best for themselves.

Glad to hear you know Pop and enjoy it already.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #1001
MickMan
DIS Veteran

I also like the compact feel of Sports.

I did not like how long of a walk it is at other resorts.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #1002
elainesj
Mouseketeer

We just got back from a quick weekend stay at Sports. We liked it and the price was right. pop was not available so I have no comparison as it was our first time in Disney.

We requested Baseball, on the ground floor, facing Music (so I could be close to pools in Sports and Music). We got nothing of what we requested. We got tennis on the 3rd floor.

I was a bit bummed, but it didn't matter enough to make an issue of it. The walk was longish but OK. I didn't want to stay in Surf because I worried about the noise.

You can definitely hear all the plumbing everywhere. Our first night I got really annoyed because about 2am I heard about 30 doors slamming shut. A late night group must have got in. It was super annoying - but I guess it happens. Never heard noises for the rest of the weekend. (Maybe I slept better? DH never heard a thing the first night)

On our last day I did a walking tour of Sports and Music. I actually ended up preferring Sports theming - seemed more fun - particularly the fun stuff in between each building. Music had more trees. I checked out all 4 pools and the only pool that had piped in music was Music's Piano pool (the quiet one).

I LOVED that we were first on and first off for the buses. That made a huge difference. Lines for buses were always short but I saw longer lines at other places, particularly at Movies. I never had to stand in the bus but folks from other resorts often had to. We usually moved our kids to our laps when the buses got crowded.

I would stay in Sports again. Unless we try Pop out.

E
elainesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #1003
MickMan
DIS Veteran

elainesj I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

I have stayed at POP and thought it was much more spread out and a more or a longish walk than at Sports but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the review.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #1004
DISNEYNY
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMan View Post
elainesj I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

I have stayed at POP and thought it was much more spread out and a more or a longish walk than at Sports but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the review.
I agree. We also stayed at Music in Aug and I thought the walk was longer there then at Sports too.
2000 & 01 OFF SITE, 02 ASSP, 03 ASMU, 04 POP, 05 POR, 06 ASMO, 07 ASMU AND SSR, 08 POP,Dec 08 ASSP , Aug 09 CBR & ASSP , Dec 09 POP Feb 10 ESPN wknd, Aug 10 AKL-ASMU Free dining, POR Dec 10 FDP Disneyland July 11

DISNEYNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #1005
monkeyhouse
Mouseketeer

Back a week from a week at Sports. Aside from the food court everything was enjoyable. In our encounters it seemed like they sent the worst castmembers to this food court. They all seemed miserable and uninterested to be there and the food they provided matched this. Well there was one good one that was cheery, helpfull and offered us to have a magical day. Hopefully her attitude rubs off.

As a side note, we also got caught up in a DDP desert problem on our last night there. We had previously seen the ice cream sandwich and noticed there was a special sign saying this is not a snack, but you can get it for desert. So on this night we thought we would get ice cream sandwiches with our meals. So we go to check out and the cashier says they aren't on the dinning plan. We say that they were the other day. Not anymore she says. So we ask what to do with them, and she says "I don't know, take them back?". So we take them back and there is a manger type behind the counter and they explain that Disney's fiscal year changed so it isn't a desert anymore. So off to the garbage the ice cream sandwiches go.
monkeyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: