Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #136
luckyprincess
Dis Lord
 
luckyprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Okay, that is out of line and ridicules. Just because someone does not want children does not mean they will end up with a house full of cats. It doesn't mean they will have less of a life. It is their personal wants for their lives. You don't know why someone doesn't want kids, so get your nose out of their business about it.

And luckyprincess is a wonderful and sweet person. However, like many other people, she has an opinion. Obviously her opinion is not the same as yours and, as it happens WAY too much around here, that means she's a horrible person.

Well guess what? Just because someone thinks differently then you doesn't make them a bad person.
Thank you LilyWDW
__________________

luckyprincess is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #137
bwilcox
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,152

I have read the last few pages, and it seems to me that there is argument over nothing really. I haven't seen one person on here say it is OK to let their child misbehave or throw a fit in close proximity to others, only stories about it happening to others. It is a fact that childless people can have valid opinions about disciplining children. It is also a fact that it is different when it is your own child. Before having children, I knew all about them. I majored in education, paid my way through college by working in a daycare, and then taught public school for 4 years. I knew all the "right" and "wrong" ways to handle kids. When I had my 2 kids, things suddenly weren't so black-and-white anymore. I sometimes find myself doing things I knew were wrong. Like bribing my son with candy to potty train when nothing else worked. Or forcing him to go on a ride his first time at WDW, crying in line the whole time (not throwing a fit!) because he is afraid to try new things, and I knew he would like it (and it was Dumbo, for goodness sakes)! It worked-after that he had no fear when it came to rides. I knew I looked like a horrible parent to those around me in line. I also swore my kids would never watch more than 1 hour of TV a day before I had kids, but some days the TV is literally the only way to keep my sanity!
Every minute as a parent you have to make judgement calls. Some are right, some aren't. I think parents on here get defensive when people without kids talk about disciplining because we are aware that we make mistakes, and it is easier to know what it the right way to handle a situation from the outside than if you are actually involved in that situation. I think as long as it isn't said in a judgmental way, people without kids can be a valuable source of information when it comes to discipline because they don't have all the emotional strings attached.
bwilcox is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #138
Puffles
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
Lol - what? What does that mean - that people that don't want children are unlucky? I don't get it! Why is procreation supposed to be my dream? Really - that was crazy out of left field! My bf and I have a gorgeous home with a great pool, gorgeous dog, active lives and lots of very nice opportunities that I know other people would like to have - so yes, we're very lucky! To have a house full of kids might be great for you, but to me that would be very unlucky - to each his own!

And I have experience in seeing people ignore their kids bad behavior - and so I'm posting on it
I have this too! How Mickeyish! Monster home, great pool! We had two dogs but I had to put one down a few weeks ago she was 15 and a beauty. There is no bad luck here, it's as Mickeyish as can be here! I hope my house full of kids are not as unlucky as you say but not so far! Are kids unlucky?
Puffles is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #139
Suellen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 5,232

Maybe we could compare bank accounts next.
__________________
Suellen is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #140
si-am
DIS Veteran
 
si-am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffles View Post
I have this too! How Mickeyish! Monster home, great pool! We had two dogs but I had to put one down a few weeks ago she was 15 and a beauty. There is no bad luck here, it's as Mickeyish as can be here! I hope my house full of kids are not as unlucky as you say but not so far! Are kids unlucky?
Can you explain Mickeyish to me? I don't think that's a word, and I'm starting to get concerned that because I can't have kids, I'm not Mickeyish. Do I want to be Mickeyish? I just don't know!
si-am is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #141
kittythepoohbear
Mouseketeer
 
kittythepoohbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffles View Post
luckyprincess, you don't seem so lucky if you don't have kids, and dont want them. And you are not very Mickeyish for those that do. You post on the subject but do not have the experiance to post on what you don't know. I wish you better than a house full of cats.
Seriously??? What a rude and condescending thing to say. So childfree women are unlucky? That women can't know love, happiness, personal satisfaction and fulfillment until they have a child? There are people who, either by choice or due to infertility, are childree and they live very fulfilling lives. Based on your statement, these people ought to stock up on Friskies unless they push out a kid. How dare speak about not judging others then write such a judgmental statement. People like you make me feel bad for society. In fact, statements like this make me not want to ever have children (if I am in fact able to) if they will have to share the planet with people as judgmental and narrow-minded as yourself.

On topic, I agree with 99% of the posters here. Most of the meltdowns are handled just fine and I truly sympathize with the parents and help them if I can by offering a distraction. The couple of times I saw children misbehaving and the parents willfully ignoring it so as THEIR evening isn't ruined, I chalked it up to the decline of society.
kittythepoohbear is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #142
Puffles
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Maybe we could compare bank accounts next.
Good call lets do it !
Puffles is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #143
Puffles
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittythepoohbear View Post
Seriously??? What a rude and condescending thing to say. So childfree women are unlucky? That women can't know love, happiness, personal satisfaction and fulfillment until they have a child? There are people who, either by choice or due to infertility, are childree and they live very fulfilling lives. Based on your statement, these people ought to stock up on Friskies unless they push out a kid. How dare speak about not judging others then write such a judgmental statement. People like you make me feel bad for society. In fact, statements like this make me not want to ever have children (if I am in fact able to) if they will have to share the planet with people as judgmental and narrow-minded as yourself.

On topic, I agree with 99% of the posters here. Most of the meltdowns are handled just fine and I truly sympathize with the parents and help them if I can by offering a distraction. The couple of times I saw children misbehaving and the parents willfully ignoring it so as THEIR evening isn't ruined, I chalked it up to the decline of society.
Hey! This is not very Mickeyish!
Puffles is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #144
luckyprincess
Dis Lord
 
luckyprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 432

This is so funny but I'm watching my parents dog so that they can go to Cape May in the same old motel we always went but now they get to go with my bro/his wife and their child and my sis and her new baby. It's exciting because we always went with my Grandma/Grandpa and now they get to do it, too. Sadly, my semester just started and its a doozy, so I can't go

Anyway, I was just talking to my Daddy and told him this and he laughed and said that they hated packing us up and leaving when we were behaving poorly but they made a pact when they got married (which they got to enjoy 3 days of because my Daddy was drafted to Viet Nam) that they would raise their kids how they were raised - one very Italian family and one second generation Irish family - so in a nutshell, pretty strict! He said he can still remember the looks on our faces at the very first place we ever left due to our behavior - it was apparently the Bronx Zoo (I don't remember this) and my brother and oldest sister were bothering each other and bickering the entire time from when we got out of the car until we paid and got in the Zoo. Mom laid down the law and told us all that if Cathy and Pat kept it up, we were going home. Well....they did...and we did. My Daddy said we were in such shock that they actually kept to their word that we didn't even cry til we got to the car!

After that time, I recall it happening at Cape May the first year we were all out of strollers - packed up, got the deposit back from the motel and left. He just said for me to post that 'He's a man of his word and the best way to let children know that keeping your word is the most important thing is to actually do it while raising them'. I warned you that he is old school...lol!
__________________

luckyprincess is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #145
luckyprincess
Dis Lord
 
luckyprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffles View Post
I have this too! How Mickeyish! Monster home, great pool! We had two dogs but I had to put one down a few weeks ago she was 15 and a beauty. There is no bad luck here, it's as Mickeyish as can be here! I hope my house full of kids are not as unlucky as you say but not so far! Are kids unlucky?
They would be if they were mine!! Considering I don't want any I don't think they'd be very happy to have me as a Mom, lol! I didn't say a house full of kids for YOU is unlucky - I think everyone needs a cup of coffee or to read more closely and not take things personally!!! Geez!
By the way - so sorry about your dog! 15 is a lot of fantastic years to be loved and have a wonderful family! Did she get to swim in the pool? Mine is scared...
__________________

luckyprincess is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #146
si-am
DIS Veteran
 
si-am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,609

I am starting to think Puffles might be a troll. Totally not mickeyish.
si-am is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #147
stepdisney
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I instantly turned into "one of those moms"
I think I'm going to start looking for ways to fit jive into my daily vocabulary
 
stepdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Then he can deal with me and NOT intimidate my child or point his finger in her face. And trust me if he does get all up in my childs face he will be dealing with me.

Totally INAPPROPRIATE!

I'm sure your stroller and day was just completely ruined.
I disagree. Not saying anything to a child that intentionally spits on another person or another person's property is totally inappropriate and if the parent doesn't know that it is wrong, then someone has to tell the child it is wrong. A child licked my husbands hand in line. His mother laughed, my husband said "don't do that anymore to the child." Too bad if the parent didn't like it. She made a choice to not say anything to the child. If the child is intimidated into do the right thing next time, so be it.
__________________


June 2000 1st trip off site~Oct. 2005 POP~ Aug/Sept. 2007 WL~Aug/Sept. 2008 AKL ~Aug/Sept. 2009 Kidani Village~Aug/Sept. 2010WL/Grand Gathering~ Aug. 2011 YC Aug. 2012 YC CL~Aug. 2014 AKL
stepdisney is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #148
kittythepoohbear
Mouseketeer
 
kittythepoohbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I am starting to think Puffles might be a troll. Totally not mickeyish.
We can only hope.
kittythepoohbear is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #149
Puffles
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
Can you explain Mickeyish to me? I don't think that's a word, and I'm starting to get concerned that because I can't have kids, I'm not Mickeyish. Do I want to be Mickeyish? I just don't know!
Yes! of course you do !!
Puffles is offline  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #150
Suellen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 5,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdisney View Post
I disagree. Not saying anything to a child that intentionally spits on another person or another person's property is totally inappropriate and if the parent doesn't know that it is wrong, then someone has to tell the child it is wrong. A child licked my husbands hand in line. His mother laughed, my husband said "don't do that anymore to the child." Too bad if the parent didn't like it. She made a choice to not say anything to the child. If the child is intimidated into do the right thing next time, so be it.
Saying don't do that to a child that understands is one thing. "nutting up" in a child's face is entirely another. Your problem is with parent not parenting as you see fit.... the child should NOT be approached in a physical manner.
__________________
Suellen is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.