Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

My son is three and he's been to disney twice. most of the time apologies work, and if they don't who cares. It's disney, it's made for kids of all ages, and if people don't understand that kids breakdown sometimes then they must be in the wrong place.

However my advice is: don't forget naps if they need them, feed them often, and take breaks, esp swimming breaks. Give them some input (even if it not in the schedule). Most of all, when they get tired at the end of the night, remember you still have to get back to your resort, so factor in some time.

me, DH, DS(6)
OCT 2001-AKL / OCT 2002-engaged at AKL / OCT 2006-AKL
DEC 2008-DS first trip-GF / MAY 2010-GPs, AKL / OCT 2011-Poly / NOV 2012-DL with cousins/ NOV 2013 CSR with GPs/ SpringBreak 2014-CR
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
themouseforme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
The kids were wailing and slapping and kicking at their dad...
that happened in public because it is tolerated at home. how very sad.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
themouseforme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
Let's all be up front and admit it-our kids are not perfect, especially in an overstimulating place like WDW. At one point in time they have tantrummed, misbehaved, gotten a bit too hyper, unintentionally insulted someone, fought with their sibling loudly and in public, swung a chain at someone unintentionally..... they are kids and it happens.
nope. my daughter was 6 at wdw and 8 at disneyland. no problem whatsoever. sorry, OP. she was happy, cheerful and cooperative because she was enjoying herself. and because proper behavior was the norm at home. she was old enough to understand the concept of standing in line and waiting her turn for something fun. toddlers are too young for long lines. that's one reason i waited until she was older, cute pictures or otherwise. that way, you don't have to blow bubbles on people.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by themouseforme View Post
That's really unfair. Kids can act completely different, or not know how to react at all, when they're overcome with the stimulation, heat, etc.. of Disney World. Since a time out quickly solved the problem in that case, I don't think those children are usually allowed to beat up their parents.

My boys have had their meltdowns now and then. We just remove them from the situation or leave the parks. I've never had a comment about them from another guest and unless a child directly does something to you, I don't think anyone really has the right to comment on them. I've seen adults acting FAR worse than any child we've ever noticed needing a nap.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
Holly324
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanaMAMA View Post
I keep a supply of stickers or glow sticks in my bag for this very situation. (I used to keep suckers handy.. but people are wierd about giving thier kids candy from stangers) I always give mom or dad a big "I know what you are going through smile" and then give them a sticker or two. Its USUALLY enough of a distraction for the kid to quit crying. at least long enough for mom or dad to get a handle on the situation. we have ALL been there. (if you are saying your havent been.. your kids are WIERD!) Its amazing how far a little understanding can go!
That is a fantastic idea! I will be doing that, as well!

Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
drew64
disfanatic

Never.

honestly, have seldom been "bothered" by kids behavior at DW. Usually, it is obnoxious adults getting on my nerves, especially those who complain about kids at DW!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loydandmel View Post

You would be amazed how many people understand and how far a simple apology can go. We have never had anyone be rude to us because of his behavior.
I completely agree!!! An apology really does go a long way. I'll tell ya, I've been kicked by kids at WDW, hit with pirate swords and princess wands, those darn bubbles sprayed in my face, chains swung at me-never on purpose, but all by kids who are either overstimulated or just not being watched by their parents. When a parent apologizes to me & immediately manages the situation, I'm literally over it in just a few seconds & will usually respond with a smile and an "It's OK". It's when the parent either completely ignores it or snaps at me that it's WDW & I should expect "kids to be kids" that gets me angry.

Tantrums and such at the parks don't bother me in the least-they are really not my business. Tantrums that involve kicking me in the midst of it or bad behavior that causes direct harm to me or my property (even if it's light harm like a push or that darn bubble soap on my camera) is what pisses me off IF the parents don't take responsibility and apologize.

Quote:
That's quite a generalization. The child could have had special needs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
After all WDW is all about the kids, the rest of us are just really big kids
Actually, WDW is all about FAMILIES, not just the kids. Adult-only families are also entitled to just as much of an enjoyable vacation and simple respect from others as families with kids.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #23
Teeks
*My Disney Princess*

Quote:
Nope, not true. How very sad that someone can make such an assumption.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
themouseforme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
That's really unfair. Kids can act completely different, or not know how to react at all, when they're overcome with the stimulation, heat, etc.. of Disney World.
hmmmmm excuses

in the cultural environment in which i was raised, slapping or kicking a parent was UNHEARD OF. like i said, my "bum bum" would have been "numb numb". (i'm trying so hard not to use that expression. that would be crass.)

i have to smile. the poster who gave this example is probably sitting back going

gotta love these boards!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
boyob13
A five-legged goat in a four-legged world

Quote:
hmmmmm excuses

in the cultural environment in which i was raised, slapping or kicking a parent was UNHEARD OF. like i said, my "bum bum" would have been "numb numb". (i'm trying so hard not to use that expression. that would be crass.)

i have to smile. the poster who gave this example is probably sitting back going

gotta love these boards!
Are you around young children frequently? Because they act up more than you think. Young kids have tantrums because they usually don't know how to control their feelings well. It's moreover the kids fault than it is the parents. (Not saying that rudely or anything, trying to make a point about not being bad parents ) (Not attacking anybody either, and I realize some people won't even read this. :D)

Christmas 1996- Shades of Green
March 2002- All-Star Sports
Spring 2006 (DLP)- Newport Bay Club
April 2009- Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010- POP Century
April 2011 (DLP)- Offsite
December 2011- Contemporary/POP Century ~ First Deluxe Stay!
August 2012- All Star Movies

Last edited by boyob13; 09-06-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
mom2OandE
Mouseketeer

Truthfully we haven't had too many issues. Honestly for us we have found that if they are really starting to melt down it means we need a break. So we eaither head to the hotel for some downtime or to the baby care center for a quiet break.

I will also say I have a son with Autism and yes he does melt down and no no one has ever said anything to us.
11/2010 Disney Wonder & All Star Music - 09/2008 AKL - 2007 Cornado Springs - 2007 Pop Century - 2006 All Star Sports - 2005 All Star Movies - 2004 French Quarter - 2001 Off Property - 1997 - All Star Sports-1994 Polynesian - 1990 Off Property - Many more weekend trips that I can't recall
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #27
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I can't obviously say anything to those parents at the park that day nor the kids. But I can tell you my kids are not allowed to kick and hit at home and they for DARN sure will not be allowed to do it in public. They know it isn't right and know not to do it.

I'm not saying they are perfect... but hitting, kicking, pinching, biting and spitting are the biggest no-no's going at my house. Any one of those offenses will get you sent to bed and I don't CARE what time it is.

I would think for the most part behavior you see at WDW is not the first time that behavior has ever happened.

We finally figure out if my DD blood sugar drops too low she will melt down ~ so I make sure she eats regular snacks while we are touring.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #28
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
nope. my daughter was 6 at wdw and 8 at disneyland. no problem whatsoever. sorry, OP. she was happy, cheerful and cooperative because she was enjoying herself. and because proper behavior was the norm at home. she was old enough to understand the concept of standing in line and waiting her turn for something fun. toddlers are too young for long lines. that's one reason i waited until she was older, cute pictures or otherwise. that way, you don't have to blow bubbles on people.
Mine was well-behaved at that age too. His one WDW tantrum was at the age of 2 and he went every year from the age of one. That's not too bad IMO particularly since the one tantrum puzzled me at the time.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #29
Tink Mick Koda Miles
Maribeth_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I neither have nor want children (this in no way invalidates anyones choice to have any) so my bf and I definetly notice when children are misbehaving. We notice even more when parents are ignoring it. I'm sorry, but just because you are on your vacay doesn't mean you get to take a vacation from parenting Please don't tell yourself that most people have kids, most people sympathise, most people don't mind, or whatever if your kid melts down. The polite thing to do is to remove them from any enclosed area (if you are in a line, leave the line, if you are in a theatre, leave the theatre, if you are in a restaurant, leave the restaurant) to calm your little one down and deal with them.
Also please, please, please discipline them the same way you would at home! To not do that lets them know you are a push over on vacation and they can do as they please with no consequences. Just because it may inconvenence you doesn't mean you should skip it. If you usually do a time out - do it! It gives your child much needed structure and lets them know that you expect good behavior, even at a theme park. We can't tell you how many times we were annoyed by people letting their kids run wild at the expense of others. The one family that stood out to us the most as the best parents ever were the ones that actually gave their kids a time out for their tantrum at having to leave Dinoland. The kids were wailing and slapping and kicking at their dad and they sat them down and made them sit for a time out. It worked and the kids left sniffling and parents seemed calm. Kudos to them!
Can't agree with you there.. I have a 2yr old who is just learning to talk and express his feelings.. he throws plenty of fits to see what reaction he will get out of people or because he is upset that we cant understand him. Thats what two yr olds do.. the worst this to do is give them attention when all they want is a reaction so if my son is whining for no reason then I'm going to ignore him for a little and see if that works rather then giving him what he wants. Sorry if u run into us in the park! I used to say things like you said before I had a kid.. easy to say what not to do or to do when you don't have a little monster. With all this said.. I would NEVER let my son get away with doing something mean, nasty or anything to anyone but sometimes small tantrums or fits need to be ignored for a few.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #30
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I think it is very nice to apologize for them. I know I appreciate it.

But I am sorry I can't agree with the all kids misbehave comments. We as a group have taken kids from 2 years to 25 and no ours did not misbehave.

Maybe it was because we kept them on their at home schedule and did not worry about "doing it all" at Disney World. They napped, ate and slept at their usual times. We did not over tire them or over heat them. We did not buy swords until we were ready to leave the park. Does anyone seriously think buying a child a sword for hours in a crowd is a good idea.

I just think some, get so involved in trying to do so much, they forget to take the breaks, to take naps, to eat at normal times.

Kids that eat at home every day at 5pm are going to be miserable eating at 9pm when they are normally in bed.

We knew to do other wise would result in miserable, tried, cranky kids which is not fun for them, not fun for us and certainly not fun for others around them.

We were proactice instead of reactive.

Last edited by Sammie; 09-07-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: