Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
puggymom
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy wants give hugs to my pugs!

Escape from Reality - 10 night live trip report - The Escape has begun!

Welcome my to my live trip report.

This is me on my first trip, Summer, 1972

And me from last Thanksgiving

This is a solo trip, with a couple of meets scheduled and a few non Disney activities too.

As for why I choose this title is because my job is just overwhelming right now. I work insane hours and still it isnít enough. Just ask my mother. Recently I took a day off to go into NYC for shopping and the King Tut exhibit. She will tell you I spent half of my day off on the blackberry. We have finally added someadditional staff members but they just started and need to time to get up to speed and havenít been introduced to the clients yet.

I do love the work I do and it is so interesting, just that there is too much. But I am grateful everyday that I have it and I can pay my mortgage and take vacations, but when a job takes over your life entirely, it is really overwhelming.

So much so that I am doing something that I swore I never would do. Take my blackberry on vacation with me.

So if you see me next week, please donít judge me. Itís take it with me or come back to over 1000 emails that will completely bury me. No that isnít a typo or an exaggeration. I get about 125 -150 emails a day. Add that my first 2 days back at work I have to travel to Chicago, I will be out of the office 2 solid weeks.

So I need an escape to my happy place and despite having the blackberry with me it will still be an escape compared to what it is now.

Now, I know there are some of you that are wondering why solo and is it any fun?

YES!

But to be honest I used to feel the same way about traveling solo.

NO WAY!

Until I was sent to a week long conference in Orlando. The company I worked for pushed for the Saturday stay over. I took full advantage and booked the first flight down on Saturday morning and was able to spend the weekend park hopping.

While I was a bit nervous about touring the parks solo, I had a great time that weekend. I was starting to see the advantage of solo traveling.

Monday and Tuesday at the conference, were days devoted to one topic each day while the rest of the week was a series of 1.5 hour talks throughout the day). Mondayís lecture was great, the speaker really engaged the group.

Then Tuesday came along. The speaker handed out a power point presentation and then proceeded to read from it.

Word for word.

In a monotone.

No questions were being taken.

I quickly realized that I could just read the power point on the plane home.

And I donít read in a monotone.

While not wanting to be rude, I waited for a break in the lecture to leave and then just didnít return.

After stopping by my hotel room to change, I took off for MGM, grabbed lunch and proceeded to spend the afternoon riding ToT and RNRC.

All afternoon.

Just ToT and RNRC.

It was pretty quiet there that day (May, 2003) and the rides were pretty much walk ons.

It was wonderful!

That afternoon is still one of my favorite WDW memories.

It was then that I realized maybe solo traveling isnít such a bad idea after all.

The freedom it offers is fantastic.

So welcome aboard to my much needed 10 night escape from reality.

Next up Ė The Plan

Last edited by puggymom; 09-09-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

from your favorite Californian!

Have a fabulous trip!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I may have to take a solo trip to WDW in the near future so it is good to get someone else's perspective.

Yeah about that conference speaker.... it would have been funny if you heard snoring coming from the crowd!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
vicceja
Mom to My Three Sons!

Have a great trip! Have three young boys so solo trips won't happen in a long time for me!

2003 June/July ASports 2005 June/July POR 2005 Dec Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006 April/May Polynesian Resort 2007 Jan/Feb Coronado Springs 2007 July/Aug Beach Club 2007 Dec Beach Club 2008 June 5-15 Beach Club2009 April/May Beach Club 2012 Aug POR
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Mary Pops In
Earning My Ears

I'll be following along closely, since I booked my first solo trip for November. I'm interested in learning what restaurants you have booked. Have fun despite the blackberry.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

It's not all solo... I'M GONNA SEE MO! I'M GONNA SEE MO!

That's for having to bring the Blackberry. No judging here at all; just sympathy. Will a few spins on Kumba and Gwazi help take your mind off it?!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Hi there,
Glad your doing another TR haven't seen you on the boards in a while. I love your retro Disney picture from your first trip. It's so cute! I have a few pics like that from my first trip as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip plans.
Guess what we welcomed into our family a month ago? A pug puppy , we named her Lola. Just wanted to share that with you since I have admired your doggy pics fora while now.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggymom View Post
This is me on my first trip, Summer, 1972

And me from last Thanksgiving

You haven't changed one bit!

Quote:
So much so that I am doing something that I swore I never would do. Take my blackberry on vacation with me.
You gotta do what yuo gotta do

Quote:
Then Tuesday came along. The speaker handed out a power point presentation and then proceeded to read from it.

Word for word.

In a monotone.

No questions were being taken.

I quickly realized that I could just read the power point on the plane home.

And I donít read in a monotone.
DOn't you just love those types of presentations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Show off

Quote:
Will a few spins on Kumba and Gwazi help take your mind off it?!
Will Leo ride those?

Late...but I am here. Can't wait to read more!

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Your favourite non-Brit is here
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
puggymom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
from your favorite Californian!

Have a fabulous trip!
Thanks T

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I may have to take a solo trip to WDW in the near future so it is good to get someone else's perspective.

Yeah about that conference speaker.... it would have been funny if you heard snoring coming from the crowd!
Glad to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicceja View Post
Have a great trip! Have three young boys so solo trips won't happen in a long time for me!
Thanks and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Pops In View Post
I'll be following along closely, since I booked my first solo trip for November. I'm interested in learning what restaurants you have booked. Have fun despite the blackberry.
I have some good ADR's trying some new places this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

That's for having to bring the Blackberry. No judging here at all; just sympathy. Will a few spins on Kumba and Gwazi help take your mind off it?!
Can't wait until I see you guys, been much to long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Hi there,
Glad your doing another TR haven't seen you on the boards in a while. I love your retro Disney picture from your first trip. It's so cute! I have a few pics like that from my first trip as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip plans.
Guess what we welcomed into our family a month ago? A pug puppy , we named her Lola. Just wanted to share that with you since I have admired your doggy pics fora while now.
I need pics of Lola!

BTW how's your son, last time we "talked" wasn't he having some tests being done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc0621 View Post
You haven't changed one bit!

Hi Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Your favourite non-Brit is here
Yes, my favorite non Brit! Glad you had time between your golf games
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
puggymom
Mouseketeer

So now for the Plan.

If you can call it that.

See I used to be the micro Planner as in I would have spreadsheets that detailed each dayís activities and everything else associated with a Disney trip.

If you want to see an uber planner, let me introduce you to DL Mama

Now I just keep a DVC point spreadsheet for the most part.

Oh DVC, yes I bought in in 2007. BWV is my home resort. I love the Epcot resort area!

I think having DVC helps make me less of a planner, knowing I will be back with that prepaid lodging.

Anyhow, back to this trip.

I am not staying DVC.

HUH?!?!?

See last year I managed 4 trips on points, including Thanksgiving with Mom, a.k.a. Murph.

Then DVC did a few things that have me less than a happy camper. I just felt I needed a break from them.

And I have 2 gift trips coming up next year that I want to book 1 brdms for. I am taking Murph for Motherís Day and my youngest niece for her birthday. I have 6 nieces and nephews and bit by bit I have taken them on trips, some Disney, some not. Itís Alyssaís turn next year and she has said she wants to take Mickeyís boat to Disney. I interpret that as a land/sea combo trip.

I need to save my points.

So, as I stated I love the Epcot resorts. I was hoping to get a great AP rate at either YC, BC or BW. Then I started lurking on the resorts board and saw the Dolphin/Swan thread. HMM, never occurred to me, just never think of them. I have frequently gotten off at the boat dock there and walked back to BW, they seem nice enough.

I found a great rate on a Swan standard room and even with the resort charge and parking charge it still would be cheaper than any of the WDW Epcot resorts with a 40% off rate. So I booked it.

Then when I was checking reviews I found an incredible rate on Expedia for a balcony room /BW view for a couple $ís cheaper than I had booked the standard room for. So I switched my reservation and booked the balcony room.

Everyone says the Swan is less hustle and bustle than the Dolphin and that sounds perfect for me!

Oh wait, before I get to Disney, I have a few other things planned:

Fly down late Wednesday (I am working, but leaving early).

Staying at one of the Marriotís for 2 nights (I get super cheap rates through work, for up to 4 night stays) and going to Seaworld on Thursday.

Friday morning getting up early and driving to Tampa so I can go to Busch Gardens.

In 2007 I finally got there and they got some great coasters! It was unbearably hot and humid with rain (BTW it was October) that I didnít stay as long as I wanted. I decided that next time I would arrange it so I was overnight and could enjoy the park over 2 mornings with an afternoon break.

I do think it is a one day park, but I feel I missed so much last time. I want to stop and smell the roses this time. And see a fellow Disser too!

Then Saturday I drive to WDW and check in for a week at the Swan.

I do have some ADRís and have picked which park for which day but that is about it. BTW, I am still getting decent ADRís despite free dining. The Dining website makes finding ADRís much easier as you can search across multiple locations at one time.

I am planning lots of down time as I just need to relax and read a book. I am bringing 2 with me. Yes, I still read the old fashion way. Donít like the idea of a Kindle poolside for a variety of reasons (water, theft, etc). Plus I love the feel of a book.

So thatís the plan.

Next update will be live from Florida!

24 hours from now I will be on the plane heading South!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
indiesgirl4ever
DCP Fall 2014

I'm in! Can't wait to here how a solo trip can be interesting! (not to be rude in any form just very curious and wondering if its possible to take a solo trip and have fun, i guess so!) Please give us tons of tips for such! might plan one!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Then DVC did a few things that have me less than a happy camper. I just felt I needed a break from them.
I hear ya. But just so you know - taking a break worked its magic!

Quote:
Friday morning getting up early and driving to Tampa so I can go to Busch Gardens.
Um, we've talked about morning rush hour, right?

Quote:
I do think it is a one day park, but I feel I missed so much last time. I want to stop and smell the roses this time.
There's a lot that's new now, too!

Quote:
And see a fellow Disser too!

Quote:
Next update will be live from Florida!

24 hours from now I will be on the plane heading South!
Wishing you safe travels!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Have a fantastic trip Mo and have a great time with V and Leo
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #15
puggymom
Mouseketeer

I'M HERE!!!!!!

Arrived late last night, checked in around 10:30. Flight left what is considered on time out of Newark and arrived 15 minutes early.

Stopped at the super Target on Orange Blossom to get some breakfast stuff for today and tomorrow. Checked in around 10:30.

I am staying at one of Marriott's time shares in a studio (look away DVC owners)

It is far superior (will post pics later).

It is much bigger, comes with filters for the coffee maker, real forks, knifes, spoons, better TV including HBO. THe bed was uber comfy.

I always thought that a WDW studio was small for a family of 4, here I think a family of 4 would be more comfortable, more room to spread out.

Very similar in terms of queen bed, pull out, kitchenette.

Bathroom seems bigger. THe one thing families might not like is the sink is in the bathroom, As a solo traveler doesn't bother me, but I could see it traveling with others would make mornigns a bit tougher.

I'm off to Seaworld today.

Will post some pics tonight.

WOOHOO - let the escape begin!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: