Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #27
dvcgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskykitten View Post
Trust me when I say I am very envious of those who are debt free. And we are trying to follow their example and get there ourselves. Maybe not completely debt free as we will probably always have a car loan or credit card.....something to keep the credit score alive.

We were one of those who reached out to the Disers over a year ago and got wonderful advice and support.

I do admire those who were debt free even before the economy went south, such as yourself dvcgirl. And we should admire those who have had the guts to come here and ask for advice and been honest about their situations. Whether they were foolish, overly confident or whatever in their financial situation some of the nasty comments made have probably kept others from posting about their own situations.

My previous post just mirrors what many others have been thinking from time to time. All of a sudden everyone seems to have no debt and pay off their cards in full each month. disney4us2002's post said it well and with humor and jodifla hit on it too.

I still get some of my best ideas from this board and the people who share their thoughts and advice. That is when I can find some time away from work and the family.
I hear what you're saying. And I agree with you....that an awful lot of people are jumping on the "debt-free" bandwagon these days. And that's because a lot of people have been caught this time around with a lot of debt and realize that it really does create an incredible amount of risk in their lives. And so even if they didn't experience a job loss in The Great Recession....they probably know someone who did. Or they know someone with a giant mortgage and a house that is now worth less than they owe....or someone with massive student loan debt who can't find a job....or tons of CC debt and nothing to show for it....it goes on and on.

It's become fashionable to be debt-free when just a few years ago, those of us who were living that way were labeled as simplistic or even foolish/stupid for not using OPM (other people's money) to leverage up our lives.

I think that living debt free is sort of like losing weight and sticking to a healthy diet, or quitting smoking and never going back. Sometimes people who are new to the concept come across as sort of "anti-debt evangelists".....if you know what I mean. Still, I think it's great that we are moving in this direction and away from the insanity we've seen in last decade. Sure, we're going to experience much slower GDP growth as a nation as Americans pay down their very high levels of debt, but in the long run, we'll be stronger for it. Hopefully Americans are smart enough to never go back to their old ways.....
dvcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: