Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
VegasVick
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true.

2700 miles later...Disney cheered me up! A bittersweet trip report. Complete 11/29

Hello everyone! Thought I'd get started on my trip report

The cast of characters:

Vicky (that's me): I am the Disney fanatic of the family. Celebrated my upcoming 50th birthday during our visit to WDW.

Joe (husband of 23 years): Not a big Disney fan...but knew I needed this vacation.

Elizabeth (our daughter): The reason for the trip to Florida...she's starting her freshman year at Florida Southern...go Mocs!

You can click here if you want to read my pre-trip...

I am simultaneously working on a separate dining review, so I'll link to each restaurant's review from within the trip report's text. If you want to just read the dining review, click here.

There aren't alot of pictures for the first few days, but once we hit the world, I took over 200! That's alot for me anyway...so if you like photos, once we get to the end of Sunday, my posts will have plenty of pictures.

The Trip:

Thursday, August 19th: Get up EARLY and drive and drive and drive...

Friday, August 20th: Two double beds in a small little room...not great.

Saturday, August 21st: I wore the wrong shoes for move-in day...

Sunday, August 22: And then they told us to leave...

Monday, August 23rd: EPCOT in the morning...eventually...
Monday evening: Joe and Vick eat and drink around World Showcase.

Tuesday, August 24th: Birthday breakfast, water park fun & a dinner of memories!

Wednesday, August 25th: Mr. and Mrs. Grumpy go to DHS.

Thursday, August 26th: Happy days are here again!
Thursday evening: Irish eyes are smiling...

Friday, August 27th-Sunday, August 29th: Driving, the Smoky Mountains, and more driving.

Sit back and enjoy.

1978 - WDW - offsite hotel * 1982 - WDW - offsite hotel * 1998 – DLR – one day trip * 1999 – DLR – Park Inn * 2000 – WDW – offsite condo * 2001 – DLR – Candy Cane Inn * 2002 – DLR – Ramada Inn Limited North * 2003 – WDW – Contemporary * 2004 – DLR – Candy Cane Inn, DLR – Fairfield Inn * 2005 – WDW – offsite condo * 2006 – WDW – Shades of Green * 2007 – WDW – Coronado Springs * 2008 – DLR – Disneyland Hotel * 2009 – WDW – Shades of Green Trip Report and WDW – Dolphin & offsite condo Trip Report * 2010 – WDW – Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report * 2011 - WDW - offsite condo * 2012 - DLR - Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by VegasVick; 11-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
VegasVick

Thursday, August 19th: Get up EARLY and drive and drive and drive...

And that's exactly what we did.

A little background...on Wednesday, we packed the car -- and I mean PACKED! I was afraid we'd have to start tying things to the roof, but my brilliant hubby just kept reorganizing. Now mind you, we were moving a 17-year-old girl to college, so there was a lot to fit into my little Hyundai Santa Fe!

Anyway, we rolled out of bed and were actually on the road on schedule...6 a.m. and heading southeast. Around 8 a.m. we stopped at a Cracker Barrell along the I-24 (no review...it was just a Cracker Barrell). Then, we drove some more. We weren't hungry at lunchtime, so we just kept going...our goal was to make it through Atlanta and then stop for dinner; we stopped at an Olive Garden along the I-75 (no review...it was just an Olive Garden). Then, we drove some more. Made it to Tifton, Georgia (which was our goal) at a reasonable hour...fell into bed and called it a day. Since we were in the car all day, no pictures...

I'm getting too old for that kind of traveling!

1978 - WDW - offsite hotel * 1982 - WDW - offsite hotel * 1998 – DLR – one day trip * 1999 – DLR – Park Inn * 2000 – WDW – offsite condo * 2001 – DLR – Candy Cane Inn * 2002 – DLR – Ramada Inn Limited North * 2003 – WDW – Contemporary * 2004 – DLR – Candy Cane Inn, DLR – Fairfield Inn * 2005 – WDW – offsite condo * 2006 – WDW – Shades of Green * 2007 – WDW – Coronado Springs * 2008 – DLR – Disneyland Hotel * 2009 – WDW – Shades of Green Trip Report and WDW – Dolphin & offsite condo Trip Report * 2010 – WDW – Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report * 2011 - WDW - offsite condo * 2012 - DLR - Disneyland Hotel
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
VegasVick

Friday, August 20th: Two double beds in a small little room...not great.

We slept in a little bit this morning, since we knew we only had about 5 hours of driving. The Fairfield Inn had a nice continental breakfast, so we filled up on that. Then it was back to the car, and back on the road to...you guessed it...drive some more.

We stopped along the way for lunch, but for the life of me I can't remember what we ate...obviously, it wasn't too memorable.

Finally arrived in Lakeland...
I had decided to stay at the Jameson Inn where Elizabeth and I had stayed in February. At that time, we had a really nice room...I didn't know that we had been upgraded to a suite...so this time...two double beds in a small little room...not great. It was pretty inexpensive though, so we suffered through for two nights. Never again. I was underwhelmed, so no pictures.

The weekend was really all about Elizabeth. Ask a 17 year old what she'd like to do...go to the mall of course...so we did. I bought her a couple of things, and some clearance stuff for myself. Then, to celebrate her birthday, which we'll miss, we let her choose dinner. We had a nice dinner at the Outback (no review...it was just an Outback). Tomorrow is move-in day, so early to bed.

Last edited by VegasVick; 09-02-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
anijac1412
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to reading more! You were at Disney around the same time I was!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Purpleblanket
Mouseketeer

I can't wait for the review!!!

Debbie
Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
VegasVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by anijac1412 View Post
Looking forward to reading more! You were at Disney around the same time I was!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleblanket View Post
I can't wait for the review!!!

Debbie
Thanks to you both! I hope to write more over the weekend.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
VegasVick

Saturday, August 21: I wore the wrong shoes for move-in day...

We were up early on Saturday because check-in was at 8:30 a.m.

Checking in...

In line for ID...

Settling in...

The biggest problem was that her room was on the second floor and no elevator. I wore comfortable sandals, but should have worn tennis shoes...I pulled something in my right foot which would affect my touring at WDW...who knew!?

So after move-in, we made a final WalMart run (along with everybody else...) and had a nice lunch at a little Chinese place we found along the way.

Our college student...

For dinner, families were invited to share a meal at the main dining hall...it was okay. We said our goodnights and headed back to the awful hotel.

It had been a very long day, so we opened a bottle of Chardonnay, poured it into plastic cups, and caught up on email...

Last edited by VegasVick; 09-08-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
lynn71092
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
VegasVick

Sunday, August 22: And then they told us to leave...

Joe and I slept in a little bit because we weren't meeting DD until lunchtime. Again, families were invited to have a "BBQ" at the dining hall...we ate with DD's roommate and her parents, which was really nice.

The central fountain on campus...

A quick trip to the bookstore for souvenirs, logo clothes, and a $227 chemistry book...one final meeting and then they told us to say good-bye and go away. So we did...

I was sad, but didn't cry...I didn't want her to feel bad. Plus, leaving meant I was headed to my second favorite place...WDW (Disneyland will always be #1.)

We hopped on the I-4 and arrived at Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) around 3'ish.

The fountain in the lobby...

Registration...

I had checked us in online about a week before the trip, so check-in was a breeze...took all of 5 minutes. Our packet was ready; all she had to do was write my name on my birthday button.

We had a first floor, corner room in building 5...across from the hot tub and diagonal to the main building...I couldn't have asked for a better location (especially since my foot really hurt).

A not-so-hidden Mickey...

King-sized bed (what an improvement over the last two days)!

Dual sinks (I don't even have that at home)!

Once we got everything from the car, we headed out to Oviedo...about 45 minutes north (home of the University of Central Florida)...to visit my 87 year old mother.

I hope I look that good when I'm in my eighties...

We took her out for an early dinner at the local Red Lobster (no review...it was just a Red Lobster). It was a really good visit, and we decided that we'd see her again later in the week.

On the drive back, we talked about our options. In my original itinerary, I had planned to hit Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours, fireworks, etc. But, we were both pretty drained from the weekend and my darned foot was killing me, so we opted for an alternative...hot tub! Aaaah...it was the perfect decision

Tomorrow: EPCOT

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
VegasVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn71092 View Post
Subscribing
Welcome!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Purpleblanket
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVick View Post
We were up early on Saturday because check-in was at 8:30 a.m.

Checking in...

In line for ID...

Settling in...

The biggest problem was that her room was on the second floor and no elevator. I wore comfortable sandals, but should have worn tennis shoes...I pulled something in my right foot which would affect my touring at WDW...who knew!?

So after move-in, we made a final WalMart run (along with everybody else...) and had a nice lunch at a little Chinese place we found along the way.

Our college student...

For dinner, families were invited to share a meal at the main dining hall...it was okay. We said our goodnights and headed back to the awful hotel.

It had been a very long day, so we opened a bottle of Chardonnay, poured it into plastic cups, and caught up on email...

oh, this brings back memories of settling our daughter into her res 5 years ago. And of course you have to do the walmart run for all those extra things they need in their room!! Does she have the room to herself or is she sharing?
Our daughter shared the first year, then had a single the 2nd year and then for yrs 3-5 she rented a house with 3 others right by the University.
Today she started her first day as a gr 7 - 12 band teacher and was so nervous!! Man... time flys...
Looking forward to reading about Disney though!!

Debbie
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
VegasVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleblanket View Post
oh, this brings back memories of settling our daughter into her res 5 years ago. And of course you have to do the walmart run for all those extra things they need in their room!! Does she have the room to herself or is she sharing?
Our daughter shared the first year, then had a single the 2nd year and then for yrs 3-5 she rented a house with 3 others right by the University.
Today she started her first day as a gr 7 - 12 band teacher and was so nervous!! Man... time flys...
Looking forward to reading about Disney though!!

Debbie
Hi Debbie! How are your Disney trip plans going? DD is actually in a triple, but one of the girls is moving out and she doesn't know if they'll put someone back in or not. It's designed for the triple and a double to share one bathroom...5 girls sharing one bathroom...she says it's not too bad though. Her plan is to join a sorority and live in the house eventually.

I will try and start my actual Disney trip later today

Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Glad you made it through Atlanta ok. Its amazing how often my town gets mentioned in trip reports!

Glad your daughter got settled in ok - hope the foot doesn't keep you from enjoying Disney!

Now I am in for the rest of the report....
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
VegasVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
Glad you made it through Atlanta ok. Its amazing how often my town gets mentioned in trip reports!

Glad your daughter got settled in ok - hope the foot doesn't keep you from enjoying Disney!

Now I am in for the rest of the report....
Sorry Lara, but everyone knows Atlanta has some of the WORST traffic...

My foot is better now, but I limped around the theme parks all week!

More report to come soon!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
VegasVick

Monday, August 23rd: EPCOT in the morning...eventually...

Well, we didn't make rope drop...

Monday was a beautiful day...in fact, the weather while we were at Disney was great I was expecting hot and humid, but it wasn't...as you know, this makes attacking a theme park much more enjoyable. Anyway...Joe is training for another marathon, so he really wanted to get a run in. We got up around 7 a.m. and he headed out. I saw this as my opportunity for my first cup of java and a wander around the resort.

Heading towards the pool (where I never actually went)...

The outside entrance to Sassagoula Floatworks...

And the inside entrance...

I forgot to mention that before we went in the hot tub on Sunday night, we stopped at Scat Cat's Lounge for a drink. We watched a little pre-season football too. I had an excellent sour apple martini and Joe went with a Sam Adams draft. Here's a picture of Scat Cat's...

The bus stop...

After Joe returned and showered, we headed over to Sassagoula Floatworks for breakfast. It was so nice that we grabbed a table outside to eat our breakfast. Click here to read my review of this counter service restaurant.

Now personally, we like having a car because it's alot faster to get around and really gives you greater flexibility. So after breakfast, we hopped in the car and headed to EPCOT. I was concerned about the crowds because it was the second week of free dining and we were getting there pretty late in the morning. Plus, we hadn't activated our tickets yet. Our tickets were 4-day military tickets with just the Water Parks & more option but no park hopping. They have to be activated at a ticket window or guest services desk the first time you use them.

So, we finally made it into EPCOT...

And there were no crowds...at least not what I think of when I hear the word. We started by getting fast passes for Soarin', then walked onto the Living with the Land boat ride.

Then we were off to find Nemo...

We found him. Then, cutting through Innoventions, there's always time for some quick video games...

You know what was the best part? Because it was just the two of us, it didn't matter what we rode or how long it took or whether we just skipped something...no park pressure! And that made the day just plain fun...Then we did single rider for Test Track because the standby line was too long...our wait was 5 minutes! After zipping around, we decided to fly to Mars, but the less intense version...which was good because it also only had a 5 minute wait!! Whew! Time to head to Le Cellier for lunch.

On our way into World Showcase, we notice the dark clouds...

We made it to our 12:45 p.m. lunch ADR at Le Cellier just as the heavens opened up! Read my review of lunch here.

After lunch, we stopped to see Captain EO which we had never seen before. And, won't need to see again. After using our imaginations chasing that foolish Figment, we decided it was time for a break. But first, we had to use our Soarin' fastpasses...it always makes me nostalgic for Disneyland.

Me...

And that was the end of the beginning of our day. We went back to POFQ and had a quick soak in the hot tub...

EPCOT in the evening will follow...

Last edited by VegasVick; 09-11-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: