Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #1216
jillyb
DIS Veteran

I've got an ADR at the Plaza in November and this will be our first time eating there. Hopefully the refurb is done or will be done by then. I had no idea it had such a beautiful view!

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #1217
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I, too love the H2O line of products from WDW. I'm using the last of mine from September. I couldn't bring much home since we took only carry ons. As it was my little plastic bags barely passed security. I had them stuffed pretty full.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #1219
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, I have to say that I was cracking up reading your BC smell post. I haven't tried that Febreze scent before but I have to say that my husband recently spent a long time in the Yankee Candle store looking for a candle that would make our house smell like the Beach club. I think he had it narrowed down to 2 scents, went online on his phone to the Dis to double check it was the right scent (I guess it has been posted on the BC resort thread) and still couldn't decide if it smelled just right. He is obsessed with that smell as well since he loved our stay at the BC.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #1220
oboedm
DIS Veteran

How nice that BBB allowed you to cancel with no fee! Telling the truth has perks!

The plaza does look awful. We ate there last year, and it was nice and bright... hopefully they get done with the renovations soon.

Loved the pictures with the wishing well-- especially the horizonatal one with the tops of both the castle and wishing well! You are talented!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #1221
hill6
DIS Veteran

The Plaza looked like a funeral home. OMG I wonder how long it will be like that. I would have eat and ran too.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #1222
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Too funny about the Beach Club Febreeze! I'm going to have to try that one.

Sorry about your experience at the Plaza. We've enjoyed ourselves there in the past but the pictures you posted of the inside look so drab. I think I'll wait for the windows to open back up before returning.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #1223
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

That's a shame about the Plaza. We'd eaten there last year and had a good experience. Tom picked Liberty Tree over the plaza for this trip and now I'm glad he did!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #1224
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
OK Internet...you are going to think I am absolutely crazy on this one.

If you are not an absolute hard-core Disney fan, please just skip to my next update, ok?

OK - so we have just the really hard-core Disney fans left, right? Cause I would never admit this in the company of "regular folk".

As hard core fans, we can all agree that Disney has smells, right? But it was all good. I loved being reminded of Disney upon stepping in my front door.

After racking my brains, I finally figured out what Disney smell it was. It was the Beach Club!!! If you spend any time there, you will know that the lobby has a very distinct odor (all good), and we also smelled this same smell in our room at the BCV. When we checked in on Saturday, the smell was fairly strong, but by mid-week it had dissipated. Then, after our weekly mousekeeping on Wednesday, the smell was back full-force. So I knew it was something Disney was adding either intentionally or unintentionally through cleaning products, ect.

The scent in case you are wondering is "Lavendar vanilla and comfort". So if you are a Beach Club fan, try it out and tell me if I am wrong!

I had this same attachment to the Beach Club smell and found out on the resorts board that the scent at the Beach Club is actually Green Clover and Aloe and was given the website to order a small home air freshening machine and the Green Clover and Aloe scent cartridges that go along with it. I loved it!!! The kids would come home saying the same thing-that it smelled just like Disney at home.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #1225
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Too bad about the Plaza. We ate there a couple years ago and I loved it. I think it was one of my favorite meals of that trip. It was at night at Christmas time and the castle was all lit up. I can't imagine it all boarded up.

Me DH DD DS
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #1226
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
What a shame, they should have closed the restaurant during refurb! That tea looked yummy, now I'm thirsty!

I should clarify about the H2O Plus lotion for those who don't know what I'm talking about, it is the same product line Disney has been using in the resorts for the past few years. It is usually only sold at exclusive malls and free standing stores in bigger cities. I rarely use the hotel sample products, but I was already familiar with H2O and can't get enough free samples while I'm there! I believe the natural springs scent is exclusive to Disney, and they do carry it online.
I was kinda thrown for a loop when we showed up to a boarded up restaurant. I am an obsessive-compulsive when it comes to checking rehabs before our trip, but I never heard a word about this. I definitely would have made other arrangements, but literally we didn't realize the rehab was underway until we showed up.

I was surprised that they kept the place open as well, but I guess it wld be hard to close a table service at the MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
That is very surprising that they kept the Plaza open during the refurb! If people were a first timer there they probably wouldn't even realize...but for repeat customers what a let down!

But, it was a meal and served the need, right? Plus really cute Mickey sundaes!
Oh, I don't know...even if it was your first time at the Plaza you would have to notice how bad it was! Seriously....I cannot even describe how depressing it was in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I would not have been happy with the Plaza! I'm surprised they kept it open!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I actually felt the same way about the Plaza on our June trip. It's such a great view regularly and it really did ruin the ambience when we felt like we were in a box! On the upside, my boys enjoyed their Mickey Sundaes as well. We're scheduled to eat their on my birthday in January. The refurb better be over!
We should have taken our food to go and eaten on the patio tables outside!

At least you will be back for a proper Plaza meal in January!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I shall be off to find that Febreeze scent soon!!

Too bad about Plaza. Those pictures are literally night and day. It looks very drab with the walls up. MK probably couldn't afford to close a TS during renovation. That's too bad.

Hope you got to the pool lickety split (sp?) and had a fun afternoon. I can only imagine what riveting entertainment you found...
I think you are absolutely right about the reason it was likely not closed down for the rehab. Poolside entertainment post coming right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_wdw View Post
I didn't realize the view from the Plaza was so nice! Hmmm...it may be time to change up my ADRs. (I was already on the fence between Tony's and The Plaza.)
I have been to both. Plaza is a much more casual menu, but I still prefer it over the food at Tony's.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #1227
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
I've got an ADR at the Plaza in November and this will be our first time eating there. Hopefully the refurb is done or will be done by then. I had no idea it had such a beautiful view!
You will really like the Plaza. And surely the rehab will be finished in time for your trip if it isn't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I, too love the H2O line of products from WDW. I'm using the last of mine from September. I couldn't bring much home since we took only carry ons. As it was my little plastic bags barely passed security. I had them stuffed pretty full.

The lengths we go to for our bath products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
UGH on the renovations, that really sucks when you've been looking forward to something.

Poolside entertainment, I can't wait!
Yep...it was disappointing. I wish I knew about it in advance, that is for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
Oh my gosh, I have to say that I was cracking up reading your BC smell post. I haven't tried that Febreze scent before but I have to say that my husband recently spent a long time in the Yankee Candle store looking for a candle that would make our house smell like the Beach club. I think he had it narrowed down to 2 scents, went online on his phone to the Dis to double check it was the right scent (I guess it has been posted on the BC resort thread) and still couldn't decide if it smelled just right. He is obsessed with that smell as well since he loved our stay at the BC.
No way! If you remember the scent name, let me know. I just might have to pick one up myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
How nice that BBB allowed you to cancel with no fee! Telling the truth has perks!

The plaza does look awful. We ate there last year, and it was nice and bright... hopefully they get done with the renovations soon.

Loved the pictures with the wishing well-- especially the horizonatal one with the tops of both the castle and wishing well! You are talented!!
Thank you!

The Plaza is so lovely, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6 View Post
The Plaza looked like a funeral home. OMG I wonder how long it will be like that. I would have eat and ran too.
That is a very good way of describing it. It felt like you were in a bunker. WIth terrrible, terrible unflattering light pouring down on everyone and our food. Not a speck of natural light in the place. Every window was completely boarded up. Ugh! It depresses me even thinking about it. (shudder!)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #1228
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkluvsmickey View Post
Too funny about the Beach Club Febreeze! I'm going to have to try that one.

Sorry about your experience at the Plaza. We've enjoyed ourselves there in the past but the pictures you posted of the inside look so drab. I think I'll wait for the windows to open back up before returning.
I'll bet the rehab is finished by now, although I don't know for sure. You should really try it Michelle. It isn't *that* much more expensive than counterservice but an exponentially better experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
That's a shame about the Plaza. We'd eaten there last year and had a good experience. Tom picked Liberty Tree over the plaza for this trip and now I'm glad he did!

Amanda
I haven't been to the Liberty Tree in a dog's age. And never with the kids. It isn't high on my list, but maybe I should rethink that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
I had this same attachment to the Beach Club smell and found out on the resorts board that the scent at the Beach Club is actually Green Clover and Aloe and was given the website to order a small home air freshening machine and the Green Clover and Aloe scent cartridges that go along with it. I loved it!!! The kids would come home saying the same thing-that it smelled just like Disney at home.
Really! I continue to be amazed at the things you can learn on the Disboards.

If you have the link to the website, I would love to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Too bad about the Plaza. We ate there a couple years ago and I loved it. I think it was one of my favorite meals of that trip. It was at night at Christmas time and the castle was all lit up. I can't imagine it all boarded up.
Wow....that would be a great meal...eating at the Plaza at nite while the Castle was lit up with the Christmas lights!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #1229
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
here is the H2O store page with a list of the products used at WDW, I LOVE the body lotion and have reordered it multiple times. If you set up an account with them, you will get email offers for free shipping! Just another way to 'have the magic' at home between trips!

http://ss032.fusionbot.com/cgi-bin/s...s=disney+world

I would like the link for the BC airfreshener as well!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #1230
cdotla
Trish

There's A SNAKE in the Pool??!!!!

As soon as the Bus dropped us off back at the Beach Club, we immediately ran back to the room, changed into our swimsuits and made a beeline for the Pool. This was becoming almost a daily ritual during our stay at the Beach Club. Even with the pirate slide closed for rehab, Stormalong Bay was still pretty incredible!

As always, on our way into the Pool area, we had to stop to show our room keys to the Pool Attendant and pick up our towels and SAB wristbands. When we arrived at the station, the attendant wasn't at his post. He was standing about 4 feet away with a father and his young son. All three of them were crouched down, peering into some bushes.

Initially Katie and I didn't pay too much attention. But curiousity got the best of Chris and Declan, who quickly wandered over to see what the other guys were looking at. Before I knew it, Chris was calling us over to come and check out the SNAKE!!!!

By this point, this thing was moving fast! It was a large, thick, chunky black snake. And it was LONG!!! Chris estimated it at 6 feet. I thought it looked closer to 9 feet. (Perhaps the discrepancy in our estimations is due to the fact that Chris isn't phased by snakes, whereas I am terrified of them.)

The pool attendant then radioed to someone on his walkie-talkie. All the while, the snake was still slithering about, in and out of the foliage, hiding amonst various poolside shrubbery and bushes. It was very close to several sunbathers who were lounging poolside and completely oblivious to its presence.

Of course, this was quite a little thrill for Chris and Declan, and they continued watching with great interest.

A couple minutes later a middle aged CM showed up. He had a complete "take charge" look on his face, and none of the smiles and friendly gestures typically seen on most CMs. He quickly chastized the young male pool attendant who had not secured the area and started to take charge of the situation.

By this point, there were about 8-10 spectators, including Chris and Declan, crowding around the area where everyone thought the snake had sought shelter. Katie and I were watching from a much further distance.

Amazingly, there were still a great deal of sunbathers fully reclined on lounge chairs about 10 feet or so away from the snake who were completely oblivious to what was going on.

The "take charge" CM immediately pushed everyone away from the area, and got all the sunbathers who were even remotely near the snake to move. Even though the snake was only feet away from the pool, they did not close the pool and many people continued swimming closeby, seemingly unaware of the drama that was unfolding.

Very soon two other CMs arrived dressed in maintenance clothing with steel rods, gloves and black garbage bags.

We then watched for probably 10-15 minutes while these 3 CMs tried to corner and capture this snake. A couple of times they got close, and tried to snatch it up with their rods, only to have it scurry away into another piece of landscaping. It certainly put up quite a fight.

Finally we saw them capture it and they took it away - god knows where.

I must say - I found the whole thing a little unsettling.

UP NEXT: Dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table & Wishes!

Last edited by cdotla; 09-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: