Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #31
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss SD View Post
I volunteer at the museum, and I'd say the best time to go is early. Get a 10 a.m. ticket so you'll have time to unhurriedly see all the exhibits and the monthly movie, if you want. During the weekend, there tends to be an after-lunch rush that lasts until 3 p.m. or so. (Museum is closed Tuesdays.)
You volunteer at the museum!! Lucky you.

Can you let us know if the cafe selection has improved any? When we went, there was just 1 sandwich, 1 soup, or the 1 salad... and no Kid food! It was very good, just no selection.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #32
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brygida View Post

Can you let us know if the cafe selection has improved any? When we went, there was just 1 sandwich, 1 soup, or the 1 salad... and no Kid food! It was very good, just no selection.

Thanks.
When I was there Sunday, the cafe was serving three sandwiches (ham & cheese, roast beef and something else, but I forget), two salads (Chinese chicken is pretty good) and a soup, I think, but don't hold me to it. I heard from a couple of employees that the cafe, which had been changing up the menu frequently, has pared the selections down to what I mentioned. Still no kids menu, from what I can tell. I also heard that the bowling alley nearby has pretty good food, and is probably more kid friendly.
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #33
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brygida View Post

Thanks.
It is apparently a very popular position. I offered to volunteer and was told that they are now at capacity. Oh, well, with all of my medical bills I need to focus on getting more money coming in anyway.

If you want kid's food, Lombard Street is close to the Disney Museum. Lombard is lined with motels and diners like the IHOP, pizza places, etc.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #34
LulubelleP
Earning My Ears

Thank You

Oh how cool thank you for the information!!
LulubelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #35
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

When I was at the museum a couple of weeks ago, they had a butcher paper type of menu posted over the old menu with the menu items written on it. It appears they offer 3 or 4 salads and 3 or four sandwiches, a soup, a couple types of fresh lemonade, soft drinks, and limited dessert items. It looks like they are experimenting with the menu.

If you plan to visit the museum, be sure to check out the website for special events. Before the Don Hahn presentation, which was excellent, I went to a free presentation on the multi-plane camera that I found very interesting. The museum staff frequently offers free 15 - 20 minute presentations on various topics or items in the museum. They are now offering special children's presentations.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #36
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

I totally forgot while making my plans to be at the WDFM next Saturday that it was the 17th - Disneyland's 55th! You think I would have remembered since the whole reason I took that weekend off originally was for a failed trip to Disneyland that I was planning! I wonder if/how that will factor into attendance.

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
Merry Mousketeer

Hello!

The museum is planning a few large events that weekend, so I anticipate attendance will be up. However, they moved the actual presentations to their facility behind the museum, so crowds in the museum may thin out in the afternoon as guests go to the presentation.

Saturday July 17, 2010
Disneyland's Growth, Development and Stature Today.
3:00pm,

As Walt said, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the World." Former Disneyland Presidents Jack Lindquist and Matt Ouimet are joined by Senior Vice-President of Creative Development for Disneyland Tony Baxter as they discuss the development of Disneyland, its impact on America, and Walt's legacy.

Sunday July 18, 2010
The Happiest Places on Earth: A Look at Disney Parks Around the Globe.
3:00pm,

Disney Legends Dick Nunis and Marty Sklar along with Craig Russell and Bruce Vaughn from Walt Disney Imagineering explore how Walt Disney's new concept in family entertainment, Disneyland, was a catalyst for parks around the world.

My wife (Disney Enabler) and I will be there. I am hoping a DISer will be interested in my extra ticket for the July 18 event. It's sure to be interesting.

I am confident you will enjoy the museum. Not only is it a moving tribute to an amazing man, there's something special about being with others who appreciate his impact on the world.

Maybe we'll see you there!

Michael
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

I would take you up on that extra ticket on the 18th if I was planning on going that day. But Saturday is my WDFM day and Sunday I'll be at the AIDS walk, probably wishing I could stop by afterward, but it wont be a possibility Which is a shame because I would really love to attend the July 18th event.

But I will definitely be there on the 17th!

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #39
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

More pics of the WDFM

Just doing the bumpity-bump just in case anyone is checking out the museum labor day weekend...

Whoops! This pic is from DCA...

I meant to put this pic taken from inside the museum...

And this one too...

And don't forget do to a little shopping...

Last edited by peloha86; 09-01-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: forgot to click on "add photos"
peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #40
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

It is lovely out there at the Presidio, and I reapplied to volunteer at the Disney Museum after I got an e-mail earlier this month asking whether I was still interested. I don't assume that I am going to make it though because I had to take a drug test on Monday, and I am insulin dependent. I have had several doctors' offices refuse to treat me after learning that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I told my interviewer the truth, but I am discouraged about finding any kind of job once I tell people that I am diabetic because I have so often gotten "the look" and then no callback.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #41
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
It is lovely out there at the Presidio, and I reapplied to volunteer at the Disney Museum after I got an e-mail earlier this month asking whether I was still interested. I don't assume that I am going to make it though because I had to take a drug test on Monday, and I am insulin dependent. I have had several doctors' offices refuse to treat me after learning that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I told my interviewer the truth, but I am discouraged about finding any kind of job once I tell people that I am diabetic because I have so often gotten "the look" and then no callback.
When I took that drug test I assumed they were looking for illegal drugs. Why would they care if you were on insulin?
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Miss SD, I will answer in a private message so that we don't hijack this thread and make it all about me. I will be at Disney World by this time next week and just want to think about having a good time on a trip my doctor believes will be good for my health and not how much my condition has inconvenienced me in the job market

I would recommend the Disney Family Museum for any Disney fans visiting the San Francisco area. I heard a parent say that there wasn't enough there for little children, but any adult would love it. The location is so pretty that it is hard to believe that that land was so recently an Army base.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
Merry Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I am very surprised by this. I take medication to prevent migraines that can show up in drug tests as an illegal substance. So far, it has not prevented me from getting a job. Once the job is offered to me, I do tell them about the medication. There have been no concerns. I hope you find this to be true with the museum. Please let me know if you do become a volunteer so I can say hello when I'm there!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #44
munchkinsmom
Mom to DD12 and DS9

Free admission on 9/25/2010 thru Smithsonian Magazine

I created a new thread about this on the CA & the West Forum, but thought the information would be nice to share in this thread:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/museum...ly-Museum.html

Wish we could take advantage of this, but we live too far away. Hope this helps someone!
Hilton in Anaheim-1988; Dixie Landings @ WDW-1992; Disneyland Hotel @ DLR-1998, 2010; Embassy Suites in Anaheim-1999; Paradise Pier Hotel @ DLR-2004; Carousel Inn & Suites in Anaheim-2004, 2007; Grand Californian @ DLR-2005, 2010, 2011; Castle Inn & Suites in Anaheim-2002, 2004, 2006; Howard Johnson's in Anaheim-2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012; Fairfield Inn-2009, 2010; Sheraton Anaheim Hotel-2010, 2011, 2012; Candy Cane Inn-2011, 2012

And countless numbers of day trips to the DLR since 1968...

Eastern Caribbean on the Disney "Magic", April 14, 2007-April 21, 2007;
Mexican Riviera on the Disney "Magic", July 13, 2008-July 20, 2008
July 24-August 3 2011: WDW/Universal Islands of Adventure - Sheraton Vistana Villages
munchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #45
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

I am so excited!!! DH and I are visiting San Fran Sept 30-Oct 6 and we are planning a day for the museum. I never would have thought I would get my Disney fix in San Francisco!!! It was funny how I even came to find it. I love Wolfgang Puck Express breakfast so I googled it to see if I could find one to eat at in San Fran. Lo and behold popped up the The Disney Family Museum!!! I couldn't believe it! And DH is excited too. He loves trains so I can't wait for him to see the train exhibit. I'm purchasing tickets for 10am so we can spend as long as possible. WOO HOO, Yes, I am excited!!!!!
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: