Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #76
mamaLori05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmic View Post
She said they had not been on a vacation but then were at Disneyland three times during that time. It sure looked like a contradiction.

I have Sea World/Busch Garden passes. I can get in for free so I guess if I book a night stay there and go I did not get a vacation? (Damn smilies are not working) It sure is a vacation since it will come from my vacation section (as I stated before) of our budget and will reduce the amount available for the next trip. A vacation does not have to be X miles from home or Y days to count.
alright, well, I see you as someone who is trying to cause problems, so I am done responding to it.
mamaLori05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #77
hopeandtink
Mouseketeer

TE=fabmic;38024578]She said they had not been on a vacation but then were at Disneyland three times during that time. It sure looked like a contradiction.

I have Sea World/Busch Garden passes. I can get in for free so I guess if I book a night stay there and go I did not get a vacation? (Damn smilies are not working) It sure is a vacation since it will come from my vacation section (as I stated before) of our budget and will reduce the amount available for the next trip. A vacation does not have to be X miles from home or Y days to count.[/QUOT

I think the definition of vacation is different for each person. I personally do not think that an overnight stay is a vacation (maybe a quick getaway). Our vacations at least a week with no cooking or cleaning for me.
ASMU suites Sept. 2009 for free dining
Boardwalk Villa's April 2010-adults only
Port Orleans Riverside and Bonnet Creek June 2012

hopeandtink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #78
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

To afford something you need to be able to pay for something with out having an effect on anything else....
the best examples are if you need to eat lesser quality food at home for a certain period, not use you AC as much, Walk to work instead if drive etc. Things that have a direct effect on your normal life.
This is not to say that people will not sacrifice one thing for another but once you sacrifice your normal quality of life then the question of afford comes in......
If you were to truly follow what you are suppose to be saving for the many expenses in life I think Disney would be pretty empty
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #79
lattemomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTWalter View Post
It's truly amazing the difference when the only person you owe is yourself. Our money doesn't go to Ford, Capital One, Sears Credit.....it goes to kids' college funds, vacations, new to us vehicles, household repairs, Christmas, etc.

put in the smileys so my son could see them.

yep, this
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #80
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1971 View Post
To afford something you need to be able to pay for something with out having an effect on anything else....
the best examples are if you need to eat lesser quality food at home for a certain period, not use you AC as much, Walk to work instead if drive etc. Things that have a direct effect on your normal life.
This is not to say that people will not sacrifice one thing for another but once you sacrifice your normal quality of life then the question of afford comes in......
If you were to truly follow what you are suppose to be saving for the many expenses in life I think Disney would be pretty empty
I'm not sure about this. We have the air set at 78, heat set at 64. We don't have cable tv. To me, these are optional things, and things that I don't really want to spend money on. Would 74 be more comfortable in the summer - yep, but not worth the difference in the electric bill that can be used for other things. Would we like cable - once in a while we really miss it, but generally, we don't - it isn't worth $70 a month to us. Those sorts of things are just "normal life" choices that you value or you don't value - and different people value those things differently.

And yet I doubt anyone who looked at my finances would say that making those sacrifices means I can't afford it - those are things we choose not to afford.

We do choose to afford other things - dining out, nice bottles of wine, vacations, MMORG subscriptions, pets, books...my husband has a thing for shoes.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #81
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

And yet I doubt anyone who looked at my finances would say that making those sacrifices means I can't afford it - those are things we choose not to afford.
Same here. While we 'can' afford certain luxury items, we choose not to. When my DH and I got married, he inherited the house we live in now. The interest rate was high for the time and our number one priority was to pay that sucker off! So we both worked as many hours as we could, ate a lot of Ramen soup, had no a/c or furniture and put every penny into the payments. We paid it off in record time. By doing that, we were able to put money into savings, buy a little nicer used car and travel a little bit. I still budget and watch my pennies but I can be a little lenient and splurge if it's truly something worthwhile.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #82
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

1: We don't touch our normal monthly budget at all.
2: We don't touch the emergency funds
3; We haven't stopped our planned savings for retirement
4: We don't stop or reduce our tithes and offerings, in fact we increase them.

I agree with you list except for number 4. We are an atheist and an agnostic. We do, however, give to our own favored charities so maybe I do agree with you for number 4 but just differently.

Not only do we do the above, but we have a designated account that we put money into weekly from our paychecks that is just for vacations. We pay in cash (or have the cash to pay off a used credit card for the rebates/miles.) We budget the vacation based on how much we have or will have by the vacation time.

This, to me, is affording a trip.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #83
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
That isn't the way we choose to travel now, but I can't see how it is "sad". Far sadder would be to stay home and never see WDW (or anywhere else) because you don't want to take budget trips. When I was a kid most of our vacations were packed lunches and driving long distances, and we were never miserable. We considered ourselves very lucky - we spent 2-3 weeks every summer in VA Beach and exploring the surrounding states. The food just didn't matter much compared to the ocean, the caverns, camping in Shenandoah, watching the ponies on Chincoteague, seeing the pandas at the National Zoo, etc.

I'm sure the kids wouldn't care if we did pack sandwiches and eat in our room at Disney - Dumbo and Wishes and Expedition Everest and meeting Mickey are what matter to them about our Disney trips, not the food. The nice meals out and not cooking on vacation matter to us as adults; kids don't care much about those things.
Ditto this. I spent 6 weeks traveling around Europe after I graduated from college. We stayed in cheap hostels & ate a lot of cheese sandwiches, but I didn't mind because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel like that.

Everyone values things differently also. Maybe some of those people COULD afford to spend more on their vacations, they just choose not to. My dad hates flying - even if he can afford to fly, he'd rather drive a long distance. Just his preference, nothing to do with money or lack thereof.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #84
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

We can afford it if we have the cash to pay for it, and it doesn't eat into our other savings. I'm not a budget every penny kind of person. We live below our means and have savings and retirement money taken out automatically.

We do not go on vacation often, and most years we stay home. Vacations usually get balanced with the never ending list of non-essential, but much needed homeowner projects that typically eat up a lot of our discretionary spending. So, WDW has to compete with remodeling a bathroom, putting in new flooring, etc.

We have to do WDW on school vacation weeks as dh is a teacher, and in my mind, going to Disney from the Northeast in the summer is no vacation at all. I want to go when it's freezing here. Plane tickets are through the roof those weeks and there's typically no deal to be had. So WDW costs a bundle, even doing it as cheaply as possible. It just doesn't happen very often.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #85
disneyofcourse
DIS Veteran

I often wonder why some people on the budget board are just so angry and snippy. Is it just stress over money? Annoyance over someone else spending $10 when you think every penny needs to be saved? Then you come on here and bicker? Seems like every thread I read has at least two or three people having an angry hoedown over someone else having a vacation, carrying a balance or buying a $200 pair of shoes instead of going budget and buying the $10 pair. Everyone's budget is different and folks need to understand that.Being "Budget" to someone could mean a really good deal on that $3000 Sofa they've been eying and saving $500 off it. Budget to some other person means not buying anything unless its 90% off.

If people have the money they choose to afford things. I feel if I have no bills upcoming and I can pay of my credit card in full on the date it due. I can afford it, but of course sometimes I ask here to make sure it isn't that frivolous.

BTW I don't consider a vacation being anything that isn't taking you away from work life and person things for at least three days. For me going on an already paid trip with family isn't a vacation. I usually need a true vacation after THAT "vacation".

Coming soon (Disney only trips)
May 2012, October 2012

Previous
July 2011 DVC, October 2011 DVC, Jan 2012
Port Orleans 2004-2010

Me: 26
disneyofcourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #86
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

We use credit, but we always have a plan and a schedule for paying it off. And my husband is in the enviable position of working for the gov't - meaning we don't have to worry about him getting fired.

For us "we can afford it" means we've put money aside for the kids education (we borrowed to get it started and now we're paying it off - it comes out better that way in terms of matching funds from the gov't). We've taken care of the house payments for this year. We can cover any medical crises the pets might come up with. We've got enough either put aside or coming in to be able to visit his mother for a couple weeks in the summer. And after everything else, if he suddenly kicks off, there'll still be enough with insurance for me to pay off all our debts and get my feet back under me. Yeah... that's actually how my guy thinks. He's been planning for his own demise since he was 20.

If after all that we've got a few thousand dollars "free" - then we can talk about a trip to Disney (or, this year, Universal Studios!).

It works for us!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #87
palavra
DIS Veteran

I think being able to "afford" something has a lot to do with income. For some people, saving for a vacation is as easy as direct depositing a set amount into a vacation fund every month. For others, it might mean eating mac and cheese for a month or cutting down on eating out.

We paid for our trip with cash, but it was a stretch. We had emergencies come up and other financial situations such as a pay cut to deal with. Still, we took our daughter to Disney last year for a "once in a decade" type of trip. While we could have waited and had less of a financial headache trying to save the money, our daughter will only be at that magical princess age for a while. She will have those memories for a lifetime, long after the bills are paid
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #88
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Lucky enough for us, we are two young people out of college with jobs and no kids yet. Since we don't have a lot of expenses, we can take vacations to Disney World without having to cut back anywhere else. We know once we start a family this won't be the case... so we're taking advantage while we can!

As for deciding if it was affordable, we added up the cost of a MYW package and calculated the date the full amount was due and figured out how many paychecks were between now and that date. It was doable with our current situation. In the back of our minds there were several what if scenarios- What if we loose our jobs? What if we total one of our cars and have to buy a new one? etc. And we determined that if something like that were to happen, we'd cancel our vacation before the 45 day mark and get our money back. We waited until our vacation was paid in full and the 45 day mark had passed before we bought airline tickets or anything like that... just in case!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #89
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

charging most things to our cashback card- pay it all monthly- no balance left- so I guess that translates into money we have available right now to pay for what we want-including vacations. (maybe that's why it took us 10 years in our home before we saved enough aside to renovate our kitchen)
If I have to make a 'payment' and get finance charges- I won't spend it.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #90
pattiteach
Mouseketeer

I love reading this board for great ideas on how to save. And like many posters said my family vacations were down at the jersey shore. We went to Disney twice. Here is where my conflict lies, a Disney vacation for me is thousands of dollars. I live in PA so I am not close. Inorder for me to do this type of vacation, I need to have budgeted the thousands of dollars. When did Disney become an annual or frequent place for everyone? If you live by there, that is a completely different story. For me it is like Avalon(down the jersey shore) I live close, can drive there, and have a place to stay. Now if you were coming from Florida, you would need to find a place to stay, get there etc... I don't know, if you have the money great, go for it! But if you don't save until you can and enjoy the places around where you live!!
pattiteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: