Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
I think it's sad to see people eating every meal in their room, eating tuna fish for a week, limiting their park days.. that's just sad. How is that fun? How are you enjoying life, why are you living beyond your means for a theme park ? Why are you making your family miserable for the mouse?
Had to jump in here. If my mother had not made me "miserable" by packing lunches in the cooler and cooking almost every meal in the RV (when we had one) and checking a toaster and the cooler on a flight to CA, I would have never seen as much of the US and other countries as I did growing up. I never thought twice about it and mostly she was just being frugal, not cheap or living beyond her means. Money was very tight for our last trip to Williamsburg, VA. I called it the extreme budget trip and we did what we could to save money in addition to getting into Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg for free being military. Even so, we ate out one meal a day and by the end of the week, we were soooo sick of eating out. Thankfully we had a condo with a kitchen so it felt more like home and so we could cook. The way I see it, I'd rather eat 2-3 meals a day in a room at Disney (or anyplace else really) than doing the same thing at home. At least it offers new experiences and I'm not looking at the same old dining room.

My husband was stressed at first with so much budgeting on vacation but then he came to see it as a challenge like I did. He never really even made it out of the state as a kid except a couple of times and I get the feeling it was because his parents never thought about ways to do vacations cheaply. My parents did and because of them, I had seen most of the US, most of the larger national parks and been to Canada, Germany and Denmark (disclaimer: I have family in both countries so accommodations were free) before leaving for college. Some of my best memories were of stopping for lunch at a rest area with my mother and eating her homemade sandwiches and hard boiled eggs, going grocery shopping in parts of the country I had never visited and seeing the local fare and produce that was available as we were pick up stuff for breakfast and lunches and even taking turns swatting mosquitoes at night at one particularly old roadside motel somewhere in Northern Ontario that cost $10 a night. It was quite an experience and one we still laugh about 25 years later. I definitely inherited my mother's wanderlust and frugality and I'd rather go cheaply and see the world than not go at all. I certainly don't remember many of the lavish meals I've had on vacation though, so memories and miserable are in the eyes of the beholder.

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: