Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #1501
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFGrumpy View Post
2 kids ages 9 and 4, with school and activities schedules too.
That's a lot. Since your parents aren't available, are you using friends or a service? As for a price, is it 24/7 care in your home or the caretaker? Are you providing meals? Whose car? If their car, $.45 per mile? You could be looking at $15 - $20 per hour, with some reduced rate for sleeping hours. Perhaps since it was a whole week, you could negotiate a lower rate.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #1502
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Hey Dads. First, I have to say CRUD.

That said, I'm having an issue with the DISDads.com site that I wanted to mention over here. I'm getting hit with a FLOOD of spammer wanna-bes adding themselves as site Users. At first, they were easy to spot, because they were using Russian Email addresses. But I've caught several recently using regular ol' gmail addresses. So I'm going to have to start imposing a new rule. I'm mentioning this here so as to hopefully avoid offending anyone. But starting next week, if your User name at DISDads.com doesn't match a name on the DIS Dads Club list, I will presume it's a spammer and delete the User at DISDads.com

I wish there were a good way to automate this. It's really becoming a PITA to go through and find the spammer name on the User list and delete the account.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #1503
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Hey Dads. First, I have to say CRUD.

That said, I'm having an issue with the DISDads.com site that I wanted to mention over here. I'm getting hit with a FLOOD of spammer wanna-bes adding themselves as site Users. At first, they were easy to spot, because they were using Russian Email addresses. But I've caught several recently using regular ol' gmail addresses. So I'm going to have to start imposing a new rule. I'm mentioning this here so as to hopefully avoid offending anyone. But starting next week, if your User name at DISDads.com doesn't match a name on the DIS Dads Club list, I will presume it's a spammer and delete the User at DISDads.com

I wish there were a good way to automate this. It's really becoming a PITA to go through and find the spammer name on the User list and delete the account.

Tyrant...

Good call!!!

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #1504
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

hey ya'll....

we'll we are waiting on getting into the dvc system to start booking our vaca...should be soon!

ON a side note, Chillcoupon's and my friend that way in the usa today contest won!..
here is a video of our friend John singing and playing his song....good stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzAU7rXaxk
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #1505
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

We just went over our activity agenda for this week, Once again every day when I get home form work, we will be on the move

Sun- We did 6 Flags Safari

Mon Nite - Seaside Boardwalk, have a ton of ride tickets we have to use up by the end of the year, hope we don't run into the Jersey Shore Cast

Tues- Sesame Place

Weds Nite - Hermit Crab Race at The Boardwalk Finials (1st prize is worth $500)

Thurs Nite- Hermit Crab Race Finials at Stewart's Root Beer, Going for the Big Trophey, (has 2 of the 9 crabs that will be racing)

Fri nite - Blue Claws Baseball Game (won tickets at a gift auction)
Sat- ? sure she will come up with something

The best part is out of pocket expense is minimal, maybe $50 for the week for snacks & sodas

The 1 thing my DS will never be able to say is that we never spent time with him
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #1506
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

All New Dads
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #1507
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

First off......CRUD

What a week, trying to get everything together and all loose ends all tied up and trying to get ready for a trip...yikes!!!

I am packing as I type this, typical dad leave it to last minute. Well pretty easy handful of t-shirts handful of shorts handful of underpants....done. Oh ya camera and passports. now I'm done. We are leaving at 3 am tonight. We are super stoked, I have a long drive ahead, about 22 hours. We are going to use 79/77. I think we are going to stop in Columbia SC for the night. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

Talk to you all when we get back.

Hey Fed, I'll say Hi to Bob for ya!!

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #1508
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
First off......CRUD

What a week, trying to get everything together and all loose ends all tied up and trying to get ready for a trip...yikes!!!

I am packing as I type this, typical dad leave it to last minute. Well pretty easy handful of t-shirts handful of shorts handful of underpants....done. Oh ya camera and passports. now I'm done. We are leaving at 3 am tonight. We are super stoked, I have a long drive ahead, about 22 hours. We are going to use 79/77. I think we are going to stop in Columbia SC for the night. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

If you know for sure you are going to stop in Columbia...go to Hotwire.com and see what they have for Columbia...we have gotten good deals with them during our travels to and from beaches this year!! Have a great trip to Disney!!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #1509
GoHerd1028
DDC 172

It has been a great 3 days off and low and behold I am still off for one more. I do not know what happened to get a 4 day weekend...I guess the stars lined up just right!!

College football starts this week and I am READY...we open up with Ohio State at OSU this week. Just hope we dont come away with injuries LOL
DisDads Club Member #172
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #1510
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Whatever you do DON'T stay in Ashland VA

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #1511
GoHerd1028
DDC 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Whatever you do DON'T stay in Ashland VA
I sure would like to hear more details of this hotel stay LOL You are scarred for life!
DisDads Club Member #172
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #1512
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Quote:
First off......CRUD

Wow, 22 hours of driving.

The only hotel that I have ever stayed at in Columbia was the Residence Inn, on the north side of Columbia. Nice place, nice staff, tasty and free breakfast bar, Cracker Barrel next door. Might be a bit more on the expensive side than what you are looking for but it is right on I-77.

Edited to add: I don't recommend waiting until you hit I-26. I have stayed in a couple of those hotels and never found a place that I feel that confident and safe at...

Hope you have a great time and a safe trip!
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #1513
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
I sure would like to hear more details of this hotel stay LOL You are scarred for life!
My wife picked the place since it was not a pet friendly hotel, we actully went about 7miles out of the way to get there, I should have thrown the red light as soon as we checked in, office was a 4 x 4 room with the clerk behind glass and had to do transactions through a little slot, we got to room, don't think they did upgrades since around 1975 carpets had rips, where the carpet meets the bathroom tile there was about a inch of just carprt webbing.

Walls had some brown dripping stains on them Bathroom tile had mold, (needless to say no shower that night), Found a foot long hair on the blanket, Mirror above sink had a cheesy strip across bottom (guess it was broke)

The inside of the sink had visible tape lines were it was repainted (was a bad match)

Had to use the old band aid trick to keep cutians closed (was a inch short on both sides) also used them to cover the old nail holes in the wall (never know if there is a camera)
Also 2 of the plug socket covers were caved in, Fire harzard

When it was morning my son was coughing up a storm, we also noticed on one of the sheets in his bed there was a blood stain (looked like a fingerprint) TG he slept on the other side of the bed. And we slept in our clothes.

When I went to get ice on the other side of the hotel I noticed a few cars parked with flat tires that have been there awhile

We had 2 day ressies, but there was noway in hell we were staying there for 2 nights, when my wife went to check out and complain the clerk did not seem surprised, she also noticed a sign that pets were welcome for $10 a pet per night, explains sons coughing (male cat dander will do it everytime)

After we contacted Corp, we got a email from that hotels owner that started out as ---- I wood like to (wood what the) it went on to tell us that he would give us 25% our next stay (if I'm not going to stay for free what makes him think I will pay 75%, we used points for the stay)

I contacted Corp again and they read the letter he sent, they said they were going to send a team to check the place out, also found out I was not the only one with a horror story from there They will not tell me any results due to some privacey act, but said it did not look good for him, and did not meet up to there standards. Depending on what the team discovers they might drop him and everything that associates him to the chain would have to be removed within 90 days.

Since then I've heard horror stories from truckers I know and they said it was probably a flussie hotel, since that area is where there time would run out coming from Fl, there was a huge truck stop a block down.

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #1514
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post
Wow, 22 hours of driving.

The only hotel that I have ever stayed at in Columbia was the Residence Inn, on the north side of Columbia. Nice place, nice staff, tasty and free breakfast bar, Cracker Barrel next door. Might be a bit more on the expensive side than what you are looking for but it is right on I-77.

Edited to add: I don't recommend waiting until you hit I-26. I have stayed in a couple of those hotels and never found a place that I feel that confident and safe at...

Hope you have a great time and a safe trip!
Thanks! I think we are going to stop before I26. This seems like a good place. Breaking it up this way, we can get rested up and be back on the road in the morning and be in Disney by supper.

Take care guys, time for bed. Talk to you all when I get back.

Herd, I tried the hotwire thing....not bad. Never checked this before. Thanks!!

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #1515
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Weds Nite - Hermit Crab Race at The Boardwalk Finials (1st prize is worth $500)

Thurs Nite- Hermit Crab Race Finials at Stewart's Root Beer, Going for the Big Trophey, (has 2 of the 9 crabs that will be racing)
Go get 'em Blue Crab (Seriously, I feel weird just saying that)

Quote:
First off......CRUD
**Grumble, Grumble, Snarl***

Quote:
My wife picked the place since it was not a pet friendly hotel, we actully went about 7miles out of the way to get there, I should have thrown the red light as soon as we checked in, office was a 4 x 4 room with the clerk behind glass and had to do transactions through a little slot, we got to room, don't think they did upgrades since around 1975 carpets had rips, where the carpet meets the bathroom tile there was about a inch of just carprt webbing.

Walls had some brown dripping stains on them Bathroom tile had mold, (needless to say no shower that night), Found a foot long hair on the blanket, Mirror above sink had a cheesy strip across bottom (guess it was broke)

The inside of the sink had visible tape lines were it was repainted (was a bad match)

Had to use the old band aid trick to keep cutians closed (was a inch short on both sides) also used them to cover the old nail holes in the wall (never know if there is a camera)
Also 2 of the plug socket covers were caved in, Fire harzard

When it was morning my son was coughing up a storm, we also noticed on one of the sheets in his bed there was a blood stain (looked like a fingerprint) TG he slept on the other side of the bed. And we slept in our clothes.

When I went to get ice on the other side of the hotel I noticed a few cars parked with flat tires that have been there awhile

We had 2 day ressies, but there was noway in hell we were staying there for 2 nights, when my wife went to check out and complain the clerk did not seem surprised, she also noticed a sign that pets were welcome for $10 a pet per night, explains sons coughing (male cat dander will do it everytime)

After we contacted Corp, we got a email from that hotels owner that started out as ---- I wood like to (wood what the) it went on to tell us that he would give us 25% our next stay (if I'm not going to stay for free what makes him think I will pay 75%, we used points for the stay)

I contacted Corp again and they read the letter he sent, they said they were going to send a team to check the place out, also found out I was not the only one with a horror story from there They will not tell me any results due to some privacey act, but said it did not look good for him, and did not meet up to there standards. Depending on what the team discovers they might drop him and everything that associates him to the chain would have to be removed within 90 days.

Since then I've heard horror stories from truckers I know and they said it was probably a flussie hotel, since that area is where there time would run out coming from Fl, there was a huge truck stop a block down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post

Good Advice here...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dads, dis, man, men

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: