Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #76
jagmom
Mouseketeer

I love your reviews. Can't wait to hear more!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #77
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Great review!!! That chocolate raspberry shake sounds...interesting... Sorry bout that one!! Your DD is adorable!!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #78
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wonderful reviews and great pictures
I would love to try Le Cellier on our next trip if we can score an ADR
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #79
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Wonderful review!!! Great photos. Your daughter is soooo cute.
Did you have to pay extra for the hamburger when you ate at Ohana (just wondering b/c we are on DxDDP on our next trip), I wanted to try Ohana but I'm worried if my son would eat the food and he does not eat chicken nuggets/fingers too and I read your review and Ohana provided Hamburger for your Daughter.
They did not charge us extra for the hamburger. I thought they might because we were half way through the meal when she declared there was nothing for her to eat. They offered a choice of regular kids meals I think they included a hamburger, hot dog, or chicken fingers.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #80
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Great review!!! That chocolate raspberry shake sounds...interesting... Sorry bout that one!! Your DD is adorable!!!
My Dh questioned why I oreder it. It also wasn't very smooth it had little chunks of ice in it. The Mango (Niagra Refresher) that DD had was wonderful it was kind of like an ice cream treat I ate as a kid called a push up it was wonderful and I really should have asked to change it out.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #81
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace

One thing I like about the deluxe dining plan is that you can include a lot of character dining and still do more foodie restaurants. I like the character meals for breakfasts because you can usually get an early dining time and make it for rope drop or be already in the park for park opening. I also find that my DD doesn’t eat much at character meals because she is so excited, but she loved waffles, bacon and fruit so we can usually get her eat.

Our reservation was for 8:05 and we checked into the Crystal Palace before they had opened. We were seated quickly, one table down from where we sat when we visited last year and we had the same waiter. He took our drink orders and told us to visit the buffet. The restaurant was still fairly empty.

The food was all very fresh looking and they had a good selection of breakfast food. Two things that Crystal Palace serves that I have not seen at other buffets are chocolate Mickey waffles and puffed french toast, found in the children’s section of the buffet. I found the food to be very good, Crystal Palace is one of the better character breakfast buffets. I forgot to take pictures until part way through.

From the to bacon, a mickey waffle, smoke salmon, and berries. the puffed french toast and pineapple is missing. So...

...I went back for seconds The puffed toast was very good, it was still warm!

The characters stopped by for pictures and autographs. First we saw Piglet followed by Tigger.

They then did the character March around the restaurant.

After the March Pooh and Eeyore stopped by. I am very impressed at how well the non-face characters sign their name, but Eeyore was the most impressive.

Once Eyeore stop by we paid our bill and headed out to Magic Kingdom.

The characters seem to come by slowly at The Crystal Palace, we were not finished until after 9am so we did miss rope drop, the same thing happened last year. If you are concerned about making it to rope drop I would recommend asking for your bill when you first sit down that way you can leave as soon as you see the last character, it could save you 5-10 minutes. I would probably eat at the Crystal Palace again, my daughter like s the characters and the food is better than many of the other character buffets.

Up next tea at the Grand Floridian Tea Room.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #82
laliwalden
Mouseketeer

Loving your reviews!! Can't wait for the review of the GF tea!! We want to take DD there in December!!

Lindsey Chris Maddy
Ra Ray Rita Puss Puss (in heaven)
Our Trips
Pop Century-2006 (Honeymoon)
Pop Century-2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Disney Dream and Pop Century!!- October 2014!!!!

laliwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #83
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Garden View Lounge, Afternoon Tea

We were at Magic Kingdom until around 1pm when we decided to go back to the hotel to rest. I really enjoyed staying at GF because it was just a quick trip back to the hotel. Originally we had an ADR for California Grill but we had managed to book the Wishes dessert party for tonight and I thought it would be too much food so I had moved the California Grill to earlier in the trip, and booked an early reservation at Boma in it’s place, but when we got back to the hotel we didn’t feel like driving over to AKL. Instead we called reservations and booked an ADR for the Tea Room. Calling reservation took about 15 minutes on the phone. When we went down to check in they didn’t have the reservation. If I was staying at GF again I would just walk down and check in it wasn’t very busy and they were talking walk ups.

The tea room is very a small sunny room at the far end of the GF Lobby a very nice spot for tea. We were seated at a table along near the lobby. The woman who seated us gave DD a little bracelet, I think it is the same one that they give out at the princess tea so that was a nice treat for her. Our server brought us the menus and went over it with us. Our ADR was later in the tea serving and while the service was good it felt rushed.

I ordered the Grand Tea, which included a variety of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, followed by a choice of freshly baked tea pastries or English trifle, accompanied by a glass of Domaine Ste.-Michelle sparkling wine and your choice of tea. I picked the vanilla rooibas for my tea. I have taken the descriptions of the teas from allears.net.

The tea sandwiches includes shrimp salad, egg salad, chicken salad, watercress and cucumber and pear and gorgonzola. The tea sandwich plate also included an onion tart and pate. I liked the shrimp and chicken salad, and the pear and gorgonzola sandwich. The cucumber and watercress was very bland and tasted more of butter. I don’t like egg salad so DH ate it. The sandwiches were very cold like they were pulled from the refrigerator and served.

I chose scones and a jam tart for the next course. You get 2 scones strawberry preserves and devonshire cream and a strawberry jam tart. DD ate the tart and enjoyed it. The scones do have raisins, I prefer scones without, but they were still very good with the preserves and cream.

I was also able to choose to pastries and chose a chocolate strawberry and an eclair. The eclair was good. DD was not happy with her choice of the pistachio cream filled swan so she ate my strawberry. I thought this would happen and chose the strawberry with her in mind. The swan was good the cream was more of a pastry cream than a whipped cream.

My tea was good, since it was a herb tea it was served in a tea press not a traditional pot.

DH had Prince Edward's Tea an array of duck and cherry terrine, chicken and pork roulade, country pate en croute, and English Blue Stilton, the "King" of English cheeses. Served with marinated fresh berries, and Cumberland sauce. We then offer our delicious fresh-baked scones served with rich Devonshire cream. Your choice of our tea with a glass of our Fonseca Bin 27 Character Port. He had the Gardenview Blend.

DH drinks a fair amount of tea and enjoyed the Gardenview tea. His meal was enormous and he enjoyed it. For his second course he had scones with preserves and cream

DD had Mrs. Potts tea, for the young tea lover in your party, we offer a variety of tea sandwiches, tuna salad, ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly on white bread. We serve our magical dark tea (chocolate milk), followed by a choice of two pastries.

DD only liked her ham and cheese sandwich which looked like it was hand sliced from a whole ham (not thin sliced deli ham). We asked if she could have a second ham and cheese and they were happy to exchange all her sandwiches for ham and cheese. We only took one, I knew she would not eat 3 ham and cheese but it was nice that they were so accommodating. For her pastries she chose a cream filed swan and a chocolate strawberry. For tea she had chocolate milk but had she wanted tea she could have chosen one. She really enjoyed the tea party and I think it is a good more reasonable priced alternative to the Perfectly Princess tea.

Overall we enjoyed the tea and would go back. I do think I would possibly buy items a la carte, so we could share and get just what we wanted.

Since it is not part of the dining plan we paid OOP for a total of $60.71+tip.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #84
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for another wonderful update ad enjoying reading it.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #85
Sweet Pea UK
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your reviews. We are staying at the GF in August for 3 weeks and are also visiting several restaurants you have done reviews on - including the GF tea so really enjoying reading.

Sara x
Sweet Pea UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #86
persephone742
Earning My Ears

Love the review and the pics !!

I want to try the sushi desert lol it looked like it would be fun to eat

Your DD is so cute !!!

I am in it for the towel animals lol

Honeymoon October 2010 Cant Wait !!!
May 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
October 2007 Fort wilderness cabins
June 2007 - Fort wilderness cabins
December 2005 - offsite
August 2004 - off site
2 times in the 80's Fort wilderness
persephone742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #87
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Wishes Fireworks Party

Where has the summer gone? It has flown by and I haven't had a chance to update my dining report. I will try to put up the rest of my pictures and include some comments. I hoping to wrap it up this week and hopefully the thread won't get closed before I am done.

First up Wishes Dessert Party.

They had a pretty good selection of desserts and did a good job of keeping them restocked. The desserts themselves were mediocre. The chocolate strawberries were waxy, and the tarts were very soggy. I did enjoy the mango shooters, something that I would not have expected and I thought the chocolate brownies were good.

As others have reported you sit at the tables until the fireworks start. Then everyone moves to the rail to watch the fireworks. At our party a little fight broke out about who had rights to a potion of the rail. It didn't amount to much but it was surprising since there was plenty of room.

After the fireworks we sat and waited for the crowds to clear out. The CM's came around to the tables to let people know that there were desserts still available and that they would be clearing them away soon. So if you wanted to enjoy desserts after the fireworks there is an opportunity to do so.

It was a nice spot to watch the fireworks and we had a nice spot to sit and wait for them to start. I would not recommend the party if you are looking for yummy desserts, but if you are looking for a guaranteed spot with minimal fuss to watch the fireworks then the party is a good choice. I probably would not do it again.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #88
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

thanks for the update, wonderful pictures.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #89
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Boma

This was our free day, we had no parks or ADR's planned for the day. We spent most of the morning at the pool. In the afternoon we went to play mini golf at the Winterland/Summerland course. My DD loved it.

After an afternoon of mini golf and noticing how grumpy DD was getting I realized she really hadn't had much to eat that day. So we headed over to AKL to see if we could get in to eat at Jiko. When we arrived DD remembered eating at Boma the last time we were her and she wanted to eat there. Much to my surprise they were able to seat us immediately.

I really enjoy the nut crusted salmon and fufu that they serve. And of course Boma's desserts are fantastic. My DH said to me 'Why couldn't the dessert party have desserts that were this good?" and I agree.

Here is the bread pudding, a zebra dome, mango pannacotta?, and a cheesecake. All of them were great.

The only bad thing about the meal was that we ordered a wine flight and the glasses that the wine came in were coated with a thick layer of dust. When we pointed it out to our waitress she asked what we would like her to do about it. I kind of thought it was obvious that we wanted new glasses.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #90
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Hollywood Derby

Since we were on DxDp and had eaten dinner at a lot of 1 credit restaurants (Le Cellier, Boma, 'Ohana) I was looking for a way to use up some credits, so I booked lunch at Hollywood Derby. I wasn't expecting to much from lunch since I had found other restaurants in DHS to be only ok.

Our reservation was for the first seating so we were there to see the opening ceremony. We were seated at a booth which was nice.

For appetizers I had Seared Day Boat Sea Scallop with black bean corn pudding and a mango papaya salsa, it was very good.

Seared Day Boat Sea Scallop - with black bean corn pudding and a mango papaya salsaSeared Day Boat Sea Scallop - with black bean corn pudding and a mango papaya salsa.

My DH had a mushroom ravioli for his appetizer. He also thought it very good.

I don't think that DD had an appetizer. For lunch she had Grilled Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread with brown sugar apples. She enjoyed her sandwich, it was a double decker grilled cheese so it was a substantial sandwich.

I had the Loch Daurt Salmon it came with a crepe that was stuffed with barley. It was one of the best meals that I had at Disney. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the flavours were perfect together.

DH had grouper for lunch, he also was very impressed with the quality and flavour of the dish.

For dessert DD had the Hidden Treasures Vanilla ice cream, Oreo cookie crumbles and gummy snakes with a Tollhouse cookie. I had a Banana tower desert. Dh had Shortbread-crusted Cheesecake with Grand Marnier Macerated Strawberries. All the desserts were great.

Overall we were really impressed with the Hollywood Brown Derby. I would not hesitate to eat there again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: