Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

restaurants in Monterey

Anyone know of some good restaurants in the Monterey area that are not too terribly expensive? I know they have Bubba Gumps but I can go to the one in Anaheim or Long Beach so I'm looking to see what else is around. We leave friday so not a lot of time to get responses, I know, but thought i would try.

Thanks!
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

We eat at Bubba Gump or at the restaurant at the aquarium when we go, we did eat at a good seafood place once but I cannot for the life of me remember the name...I'm sorry, if it comes to me I'll let you know.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

My family likes Louie Linguini's (it's on Cannery Row, near the Ghiradelli Ice Cream Shop). You can go to their website to get a coupon for a free cup of clam chowder.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
LavenderPeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
We eat at Bubba Gump or at the restaurant at the aquarium when we go, we did eat at a good seafood place once but I cannot for the life of me remember the name...I'm sorry, if it comes to me I'll let you know.
Yeah, let me know if you think of it! We're not going to the aquarium this time so that restaurant is out. We're actually going up to Santa Rosa but decided to do it in 2 days and take the 101 up and do a little mini road trip. We decided to stop in Monterey so we could get up the next morning and go to Point Lobos before heading north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
My family likes Louie Linguini's (it's on Cannery Row, near the Ghiradelli Ice Cream Shop). You can go to their website to get a coupon for a free cup of clam chowder.
I'll look at their website. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

My DH and I have spent a lot of time in Monterey over the past 4 years, and our favorite place to eat is Cafe Fina, on the wharf. It's really fantastic, and when we've gone elsewhere, we've always wished we had just gone there.

The same people also own Delmonico's, which is just across from Cafe Fina. It's also very good, but we prefer the menu at Cafe Fina.

The chowder is amazing, and a favorite of ours (and even approved by my superbly picky little brother) is their calamari steak sandwich.

One thing we love is they support sustainable fishing practices. They have been featured on Rachael Ray's show, too.

Here's the link:

http://www.cafefina.com/
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
LavenderPeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
My DH and I have spent a lot of time in Monterey over the past 4 years, and our favorite place to eat is Cafe Fina, on the wharf. It's really fantastic, and when we've gone elsewhere, we've always wished we had just gone there.

The same people also own Delmonico's, which is just across from Cafe Fina. It's also very good, but we prefer the menu at Cafe Fina.

The chowder is amazing, and a favorite of ours (and even approved by my superbly picky little brother) is their calamari steak sandwich.

One thing we love is they support sustainable fishing practices. They have been featured on Rachael Ray's show, too.

Here's the link:

http://www.cafefina.com/
That looks good too. Funny that they have a doggie menu. So, is this place casual? It looks fancy with the nice table cloths but if they're serving dogs, it must be fairly casual? Is it a place that we can bring a 4 year old who may be a little noisy?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Delmonico's, I think that was where we went!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

there is bull whackers in cannery row.
usnuzuloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
LavenderPeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Delmonico's, I think that was where we went!
Thanks pixie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
there is bull whackers in cannery row.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that one too.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderPeach View Post
That looks good too. Funny that they have a doggie menu. So, is this place casual? It looks fancy with the nice table cloths but if they're serving dogs, it must be fairly casual? Is it a place that we can bring a 4 year old who may be a little noisy?
We have been bringing our DD there since she was 4 months (she's a year now). There are frequently kids there. You won't find many places in CA that require dressing up, unless they are uber-nice.

Monterey and Carmel are very dog-friendly places.

BTW, sorry I called it "Delmonico's" (the other restaurant). I must be in a NY state of mind. lol. It's really called "Domenico's."
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Despite living here, we don't go out to eat that much in Monterey/Carmel. But here are a few of my favorites.

For seafood, I love The Fishwife, especially their Pacific Grove location right across from Asilomar. Their sea-garden salads are huge, with a big piece of fish (your choice) on top, yet very healthy and reasonably priced.

Cibo's in downtown Monterey, across from the convention center and what used to be the Doubletree (I think it's Portola Hotel now?). Very good Italian, though a little pricey.

Fandango's in downtown Pacific Grove. European/Mediterranean flair, with Basque influences. Also a little pricey, but worth it and a local favorite.

Bahama Billy's in the Barnyard in Carmel has steaks, chicken, etc, with an island flair. Also a little pricey, but (last I looked) you can get a restaurant.com coupon for them, making it a reasonable deal.

The restaurant at the InterContinental on Cannery Row has flights of champagne tasting. That can be a lot of fun. I frankly don't recall what the food was like

-Bob
ETA - Sorry, I was on vacation last week so didn't see this thread until you had already left. If you're still in Monterey, drop me a line.
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
PrincessMaleficent
DIS Veteran

The fish hopper has the best clam chowder. The food is great and teh views are even better.
PrincessMaleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
jckjck
Earning My Ears

is it any good?
jckjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I second Fandango's (if you want something really nice because, yes, it is pricey). The food is amazing. I can still remember everything I have ever eaten there on vacation

There is a little mexican place called Peppers which is very tasty! Also right along the water in Monterey there is an El Torito (a chain mexican place), but it has an amazing view of the ocean for a good price.

You will find plenty of good food!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

We also love Fandangos. It's probably our favorite for dinner now that Stokes Adobe has closed (hoping it re-opens!). Our favorite lunch spot is the Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove. My very, very favorite restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch (but you must go for breakfast!). It's First Awakenings in Monterey. It's just a couple of blocks away from the aquarium. They have the most amazing breakfasts I've ever had and we usually go at least twice (if not three times) during our week long vacation there in the summers. My favorite meal is their Turkey Dill Crepe Egg. Their Crepe Eggs were also featured on a Rachel Ray show at some point.
Upcoming: WDW POR Feb 2015; Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: