Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #31
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

My girls asked me an interesting question this week: "Why does everyone get so excited when their kids go back to school?" They don't understand why "it's the most wonderful time of the year" according to one ad in recent years. For THEM it is, b/c we have WDW more to ourselves but they don't understand how parents can feel that way about their own kids.

Do yours ever ask similar questions and how do you answer?
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #32
sahmoftwo
Earning My Ears

My dd is still quite young so when she starts asking why all parents don't want to homeschool their kids I just say that every family is different and that what works for our family wouldn't work for every other family....obviously, I'm sure I'll have to get more in depth in future years.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Well,...my kids haven't asked that particular question,but we have had people smart off in front of them about me hsing. Like "Why would you WANT to be with your KIDS all day?"...and stuff like that...to which I usually respond "Oh, we LOVE IT!' I enjoy being with MY kids!" Then when we get in the car they ask me about it. They have asked if I would rather if they weren't with me---quite heartbreaking to hear...but I reassure them it's what some people would rather, but not me!!! People just don't think about what kids are feeling...or how the questions they ask hs parents make the kids feel.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
Mommy2three
Mouseketeer

well we have successfully had day 2 of hsing. Its amazing how well my 8 year old autistic son listens to me when i am the teacher role, but how he doesnt listen well and defies me when i am the mom role...havent quite figured that one out yet..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #35
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2three View Post
well we have successfully had day 2 of hsing. Its amazing how well my 8 year old autistic son listens to me when i am the teacher role, but how he doesnt listen well and defies me when i am the mom role...havent quite figured that one out yet..
Funny how they can pick and choose isn't it? glad it went well!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #36
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
My girls asked me an interesting question this week: "Why does everyone get so excited when their kids go back to school?" They don't understand why "it's the most wonderful time of the year" according to one ad in recent years. For THEM it is, b/c we have WDW more to ourselves but they don't understand how parents can feel that way about their own kids.

My guys have never asked -- I guess they figure to each his own!

I adore being with my guys, but I can understand the back to school happiness. I'm used to having the kiddos around while I'm trying to get my stuff done, and they're used to finding things to keep themselves occupied around the house/outside. We've got enough materials to keep them creating, reading, building, whatever. But if we didn't h/s, I could easily see that kids could get a bit bored by the end of the summer and parents would look forward to being able to get chores/errands/grown-up stuff done.

I doubt it's because parents don't enjoy being with their kids -- just that the routine is very different over the summer break and they're all looking forward to getting back to it.

...I guess I'd say a shorter version of that to my kids if they asked!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #37
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

I don't get DD asking why other people don't home school, but I get plenty from other parents saying "I could never do that!".

We are on week 3/4 of Sonlight Core 3. This is new for us this year.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
McDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm reading THE WELL-TRAINED MIND right now. (My daughter is nearly 10 months old, so I'm just trying to get grounded on how I want to approach homeschooling when we DO start.) There was a recommended birth to age 5 book called SLOW AND STEADY, GET ME READY. Anyone have any experience with this book?

Also, when I searched it out on Amazon, THE STORY OF THE WORLD history curriculum books popped up. Has anyone used those?

Thanks so much for any opinions/advice.

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #39
DawnM
Dawn

We are in our 8th year of homeschooling!

My oldest is technically 7th grade, but he has some delays, so we improvise.

We have pretty much used Sonlight for our core subjects, but this year I wish I could jump ship and buy Winter Promise. We have SL Core 4 and I would love to just get WP American Culture 2 as I think it is a better fit for my hands on boys.

But, I can't afford a 2nd curriculum, so we are tweaking it as much as we can and adding in Time Travelers.

Next year I will be switching!

Here is our line up:

MUS: Each at grade level.
SOS: Science, Bible, Spanish
Worldly Wise: Book 4
Sequential Spelling
Sonlight Core 4
Time Travelers (Early 19th Century, Civil War, Industrial Revolution)

Lots of field trips!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #40
mommalissa
Mom to Disney Lovin' Triplets

Hi everyone! I started homeschooling my five year old triplets the end of July. They are still super excited about school. I have a long list of things they want to learn about that are not part of the kindergarten curriculum. Does anyone have any really good websites to recommend for items that can be used for these subjects?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #41
Tiana
Mouseketeer

Field Trips

So, I'm the Field Trip coordinator for both of the co-ops we'll be attending this year and here is what I have so far:

September

National Zoo in DC

October

Fire Station Tour

Hayride at a farm that stops at the Pumpkin Patch, straw maze, picnic lunch and picking Apples

Maryland Renaissance Fair

November

Guided tour of the National Museum of the American Indian & lunch in the cafeteria

So, that's all I have for now... thoughts??? Too many? Not enough? Any ideas?
Tiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
DawnM
Dawn

We are all abnormal and NOT average! We also have children who do not respond well to strangers in authority!

Just go to the "Why did you choose not to homeschool" thread and read.......

I am coming here because I really, really want to respond to that post, but am trying not to!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #43
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
We are all abnormal and NOT average! We also have children who do not respond well to strangers in authority!

Just go to the "Why did you choose not to homeschool" thread and read.......

I am coming here because I really, really want to respond to that post, but am trying not to!

I've been responding out loud and then closing the thread and backing away from the computer.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #44
PoohBear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
I've been responding out loud and then closing the thread and backing away from the computer.
Same here, lol. I think most are trying to be respectful and realize that they made the choice that was best for their child/children. And that we have done the same for ours.
But for those who weren't respectful...I thank you for the teaching moment. My children read your posts and they discussed tolerance, ignorance, respect, manners and the importance of education at our dinner table tonight.
God/Allah/Yahweh/or whomever you do/don't believe in........ bless the USA.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #45
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post

I think a big reason why parents are glad for school to start back is becasue routine returns. We homeschool year-round but our routine goes out the window in the summer. We do a lot of activities and "fieldtrips" with friends that go to school the rest of the year.(We have been doing National Parks this summer earning Junior Ranger Badges-5 so far.) I can not wait for school to start back so our routine returns. I love spending time with friends but we are exhausted.

Our regular routine is crazy. We have activities/classes everyday of the week, go on at least one fieldtrip a month, etc. but it is OUR routine. Summer is tons of activities with no routine. So I think it is more a happiness about return to routine.
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: