Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #1036
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

I lived in Florida for close to two years and would go to Disney or Universal (mostly Disney) every other weekend. (I miss being able to do that!) Heat doesn't bother me. Crowds, a different story but I figure I'd rather deal with crowds and be in Disney World instead of being around few people and not in Disney World!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #1037
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
Or was that Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum? I think my name is plenty long enough!

Just read through your TR posts. Your pictures are really great - you do great work! And you have a wonderful knack for story telling

Your TR title interested me because my DH is also WDW resistant. I feel your pain with the attitude over the crowds & lines.

It shouldn't but it annoys me to no end to hear my DH or anybody else gripe about these things - as if their time is so much more valuable than anyone else's that they shouldn't have to wait for anything. I mean really, show me anybody who actually ENJOYS being in a crowded, hot line. But sometimes that's just the way it is if you want to see things at WDW so you just grin & bear it

I applaud your self control because if my DH decided after 1.5 hrs he was done for the day, or was going to leave a dinner show after 20 minutes of entertainment, or blow off a photo shoot that you worked hard to schedule I would have gone ballistic You have been very gracious in your attitude.

Have you ever considered just doing a moms & kids trip with some of your female relatives? That worked well for me when DS was younger. DH skipping alternating WDW trips worked better for us.

And now that DS is a teen, doing WDW is much more enjoyable for all of us. We will opt to split up a few hours a day so I can tour parks while DH relaxes at the pool. DS just picks who he wants to hang out with for those few hours before we regroup. This works for us & allows everyone to do what makes them happy which really is what a vacation should be.

POFQ 2001 ASMovies 2003 CSR 2003 CBR 2004 with Hurricane Francis!
Swan 2005 ASsports 2008 ASMusic 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2531836
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #1038
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Just got caught up!

Your Roots photo shoot was amazing!! I would have never guessed your DH and DC didn't want to go at first! What a beautiful loving family you have!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #1039
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDisneyfan816 View Post
I lived in Florida for close to two years and would go to Disney or Universal (mostly Disney) every other weekend. (I miss being able to do that!) Heat doesn't bother me. Crowds, a different story but I figure I'd rather deal with crowds and be in Disney World instead of being around few people and not in Disney World!
I am with ya! I'll take crowds if it means I can be in Disney any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum View Post
Just read through your TR posts. Your pictures are really great - you do great work! And you have a wonderful knack for story telling

Your TR title interested me because my DH is also WDW resistant. I feel your pain with the attitude over the crowds & lines.

It shouldn't but it annoys me to no end to hear my DH or anybody else gripe about these things - as if their time is so much more valuable than anyone else's that they shouldn't have to wait for anything. I mean really, show me anybody who actually ENJOYS being in a crowded, hot line. But sometimes that's just the way it is if you want to see things at WDW so you just grin & bear it

I applaud your self control because if my DH decided after 1.5 hrs he was done for the day, or was going to leave a dinner show after 20 minutes of entertainment, or blow off a photo shoot that you worked hard to schedule I would have gone ballistic You have been very gracious in your attitude.

Have you ever considered just doing a moms & kids trip with some of your female relatives? That worked well for me when DS was younger. DH skipping alternating WDW trips worked better for us.

And now that DS is a teen, doing WDW is much more enjoyable for all of us. We will opt to split up a few hours a day so I can tour parks while DH relaxes at the pool. DS just picks who he wants to hang out with for those few hours before we regroup. This works for us & allows everyone to do what makes them happy which really is what a vacation should be.
Thanks so much for posting!

I have done a couple trips with just my daughter (when my son was only 2yrs old and 3 yrs old), and I have no doubt there will be many future trips with just me and the kids. My favourite trip to date was the trip I took with my daughter to CBR.

I have also travelled solo to WDW with girlfriends. No doubt there will be another one of those in future too!

I definitely agree that allowing the family members who aren't crazy Disney fans like the rest of us to sit out a few trips is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Just got caught up!

Your Roots photo shoot was amazing!! I would have never guessed your DH and DC didn't want to go at first! What a beautiful loving family you have!
Thank you!

Glad you are all caught up! I will have some updates this weekend for sure. They are long overdue! I haven't updated since August 1...yikes!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #1040
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Hi Trish,
Wow your photo shoot pics turned out fabulous! You would never what a rough time you had before the shoot. I would have had a mommy meltdown if my DH gave me a rough time, kuddos to you for not losing your cool . The pics look like a happy memory and that is all that matters. Also I have to ask where did you get that Navy strapless dress you posted a few updates back? I know you were intending to wear it for the photo's. It is a really pretty dress too.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #1041
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Hi Trish,
Wow your photo shoot pics turned out fabulous! You would never what a rough time you had before the shoot. I would have had a mommy meltdown if my DH gave me a rough time, kuddos to you for not losing your cool . The pics look like a happy memory and that is all that matters. Also I have to ask where did you get that Navy strapless dress you posted a few updates back? I know you were intending to wear it for the photo's. It is a really pretty dress too.
Thanks Nichole!

As for the navy dress - I bought it at J.Crew. It was still there the last time I looked - on sale too! I love it! It is a comfy and easy dress to wear.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #1042
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Thank you I found the dress and it's marked down to $69. They have some great clothes on there! Also the sales are good right now too. Do you think J Crew dresses run true to size? I'm between sizes so not sure if I should go up or down. What do you think?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #1043
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Thank you I found the dress and it's marked down to $69. They have some great clothes on there! Also the sales are good right now too. Do you think J Crew dresses run true to size? I'm between sizes so not sure if I should go up or down. What do you think?
Hey Nichole - glad that you found it. You are right - they are having some great sales right now. For the most part, I find J.Crew runs pretty well to size. However, if they are short on stock, you may want to order 2 dresses in the 2 sizes you are debating between. That way you would get free shipping, and you could simply return the size you didn't want to keep in store. Even if you paid for return shipping if you didn't have a store close by, you would still come out even paying for return shipping if you got free shipping on the initial order.

The code for free shipping on orders over $150 is WGM72A. Good until Aug.23.

I LOVE J.Crew. At least 80% of all clothing I have purchased for me, the kids and Chris the past 2 years has been from J.Crew.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #1044
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

Hi Trish!

Well, I am finally all caught up again. I had left off just after the princess breakfast. I have been very busy with work, kids and such and had fallen a bit behind.

Love the pics from the beach. Looks like after all the driving and all the waiting you all had a great day.

I really just want to tell you that you are a very patient and kind woman. You would put me to shame in the self-control dept. I applaud you for that.

As far as LeCellier goes...I think your DH simply chose the wrong entrée! My DH really does not like steak and the first time we ate there he wanted to get salmon. I told him, "this is a steak house, you need to get steak". He ordered the mushroom risotto fillet and well, he LOVED it!! I couldn't believe it. He said it was the best thing he had ever eaten. Maybe your DH will give it another shot and try a steak! BTW...did you see where LeCellier will soon be 2 credits on the DDP?

Really love the photo shoot pics...like so many others have said; you all look happy and relaxed. You could never tell that you all were stressed beforehand. My favorite is the one of you and DH sitting on the ground and your DD jumping and DS preparing to. I am so happy that it worked out for you.

Looking forward to more....

Thanks for sharing!
Darlene

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #1045
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemamma View Post
Hi Trish!

Well, I am finally all caught up again. I had left off just after the princess breakfast. I have been very busy with work, kids and such and had fallen a bit behind.

Love the pics from the beach. Looks like after all the driving and all the waiting you all had a great day.

I really just want to tell you that you are a very patient and kind woman. You would put me to shame in the self-control dept. I applaud you for that.

As far as LeCellier goes...I think your DH simply chose the wrong entrée! My DH really does not like steak and the first time we ate there he wanted to get salmon. I told him, "this is a steak house, you need to get steak". He ordered the mushroom risotto fillet and well, he LOVED it!! I couldn't believe it. He said it was the best thing he had ever eaten. Maybe your DH will give it another shot and try a steak! BTW...did you see where LeCellier will soon be 2 credits on the DDP?

Really love the photo shoot pics...like so many others have said; you all look happy and relaxed. You could never tell that you all were stressed beforehand. My favorite is the one of you and DH sitting on the ground and your DD jumping and DS preparing to. I am so happy that it worked out for you.

Looking forward to more....

Thanks for sharing!
Darlene
Hey Darlene...thanks for posting! Yes, the beach day was great, and there is no question Chris missed out on the meal at Le Cellier. Funny you should mention that because just yesterday we were showing our trip photos to my parents for the first time and the topic of the meal at LeCellier came up. Chris again stated that he thought the Canadian restaurant was awful and never wants to go back there again. As many times as I have tried to tell him that his impression of the restaurant would have been much different if he had ordered the mushroom filet, he remains unconvinced.

I am sure one day in the future I will drag him back there and he will order the fillet and give himself a hard kick.

And yes, I have heard that LC is increasing to 2 TS credits for the dinnertime. Which is fine with me, because I always eat there for lunch anyway. I save my evening meals for the Signature Restaurants that aren't open lunchtime. Although I am sure this is going to make lunchtime ADRs even more difficult to get - as if that is possible!

So glad your husband had the good sense to listen to his wife and order the fillet. I am sure he thanked you generously after he tasted it!

Thanks as well for the comments on the photo shoot!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #1046
cdotla
Trish

Dinner in France and Illuminations

After we enjoyed some ice creams on the Boardwalk, and bid farewell to the Roots, we decided to venture back over to the Surrey bike rental counter to see if we could cash in our remaining 10 or 15 minutes on our voucher and take another spin around Crescent Lake.

The surrey bike was the one thing I knew in advance that I wanted to do during the photo shoot. I think it made for some excellent photos, which bring back some fun memories. I had no idea how much fun it was going to be to ride around the Boardwalk on a surrey bike. It was a blast! The kids loved ringing the bell as we sailed past people. Surprisingly, those things can actually pick up a fair bit of speed!

We purchased either a 20 or 30 minute voucher when we picked up the bike for the photo shoot and when we returned it before we went on to the ice cream segment of the photo shoot, we were able to get a voucher for the remaining minutes to use at a later date.

Once we finished our ice creams following the shoot, we figured we might as well cash in the voucher and go for another ride. None of us had gotten our fill on the bike during the shoot...it was too much fun!

Unfortunately when we arrived back at the rental desk we discovered that all of the 4 person bikes had already been rented. While I was inclined to save our vouchers for another time so that we could all ride together, the rest of the family insisted on getting a 2 person bike which both of the kids could fit onto along with Chris. The three of them climbed on the bike and probably made it over to the Beach Club in about 2-3 minutes. Once there, they decided to wait another 5-6 minutes until I showed up on foot. Then Chris left the kids with me and used the remaining time on our voucher riding back over to the Boardwalk to return the bike himself. Obviously not the best use of our remaining 10-15 minute voucher.

I have to admit that by this point in the evening, I was not in the best of spirits. While my mood had picked up somewhat by the end of the photo shoot, (surrey bikes, ice cream and Nathan & Jensey can put anyone in a good mood), getting cut out of the last surrey bike ride, and being forced to walk back to the Beach Club pushing an empty double stroller by myself wasn't exactly lifting my spirits.

On the way back to our room with the kids, I stopped in to see if my in-laws were in their room. While my sister-in-law and nephews were out shopping at the Prime outlets on International Drive, my mother-in-law was back in her room waiting for us. She had eaten dinner at Beaches N Cream and gave it awful reviews. All she had to eat was a cheeseburger, but she said it was much worse than the burger we had a couple of days earlier at Hurricane Hannas. Admittedly, she did not try any of their desserts, which I hear are fantastic. (Believe it or not, during our entire 8 day stay, we did not make it to Beaches N Cream even once for a sundae! Since we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, we were never hungry for snacks in between meals. Next time!)

My MIL came over with us to our 1 Bedroom unit and entertained the kids while I changed out of my dress and put on a more casual shorts outfit. By the time Chris arrived back at the room, it was about 8pm. I suggested that we may want to walk over the International Gateway to see Illuminations. At this point, we had only seen the higher fireworks of Illuminations twice from our balcony, but hadn't seen the full show the way it is meant to be seen from around the World Showcase Lagoon. To my surprise, everyone was in agreement with going, so off we went!

While Katie & I have seen Illuminations many times before, this would be the first time for Chris, Declan and my mother-in-law. I couldn't wait to see how they liked it!

Unfortunately, by the time we got into Epcot from the International Gateway, it was after 8:30pm, and many people were already staking out their spots to view the show. While I normally like to watch the show with a latte and my favourite snack in all of WDW, a Cloudberry Horn pastry from the Kringla Bakery in Norway, we would not have time to get there.

As we were walking over the Bridge between the UK and France, we decided that this was as good as any spot to watch Illuminations, particularly as it would give us an easy exit back to the Beach Club after the show. We wanted to get the kids to bed as soon as possible after Illuminations as we had an early 8am breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace the next morning. We plunked the kids down with my MIL, and Chris & I took off to the bakery in France to pick up a late supper of sandwiches, lattes, waters and pastries. All good, but there are no pastries in France that can touch Norway's Cloudberry horn!

By the time we made it back to the Bridge, we all sat down and had about 10 minutes to enjoy our food before the lights dimmed and Illuminations began.

As I have taken pictures and videotaped Illuminations many times on past trips, I decided to leave the camera and camcorder back in the room and just savoured and enjoyed the show. Illuminations is definitely my favourite nighttime show at WDW, and we have watched it countless times at home on videotape re-living past trips. It was so great to be able to see it again in person. I love the hush that falls over the crowd as the lights are dimmed and the fireworks and music starts, and the globe starts its journey to the center of the World Showcase lagoon.

Chris, Declan and my mother-in-law were all very impressed with the show. And Chris was even more impressed with the convenience of the short walk back to the Beach Club afterwards. If there is a defining moment when someone becomes a convert of staying on property, this was probably it for Chris.

By the time we got back to the room and got the kids settled for the night, my sister-in-law and nephews were arriving back from the outlets. My sister-in-law and I decided to venture over to Downtown Disney to do an hour's worth of shopping before they closed at 11pm. We had a great time shopping around, and we each shelled out a small fortune at Basin.

I strategically left World of Disney until the end. As long as you are in the store by 11pm, they always let you stay shopping. Disney isn't one to push people out of their stores, especially those interested in plunking down cold hard cash.

After we had our fill of shopping, we ventured over to my favourite place in all of DTD - Ghirardelli's -where we each enjoyed a small sundae. Yummy!!!! They make the best ice cream sundaes I have ever tasted.

Photo:meshmar2

With bellies full, and wallets depleted, we eventually made our way back to the Beach Club just before midnite. Then I bid my sister-in-law farewell, dropped off my purchases in the room, picked up my laptop and headed to the Beach Club Lobby for my evening routine. There I plunked down on one of the private loveseat sitting areas to catch up on work and personal emails. In addition to not disturbing my sleeping family, one of the benefits to hanging out in the lobby to tap into the internet is that it is FREE and you can avoid the daily $10 room fee. For a frugal (ok - cheap) gal like me, this was a great little perk! Hanging out in the lobby of the Beach Club became my nightly ritual during our 8 nites at the Beach Club. I was there in the lobby almost every nite at some point between 11pm and 2am. Yes, I am an extreme night owl!

Finally, just after 1am, I made it back to our room at the Beach Club to get some sleep before we would all be up again for our 8am Breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace.

UP NEXT: Another Rope Drop at Magic Kingdom

Last edited by cdotla; 08-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #1048
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Very cool that the surrey bike people give a voucher so that you can really enjoy all the time you paid for. Sorry it didn't work out so well for you.

Love your idea of hanging out in the lobby with your laptop for free internet. Great idea! Think I will be adopting that in October! I hear they just redid the lobby - can't wait to see it!

Ahh... Illuminations. By far my favorite too. That moment when the "narrator" blows out the torches is my absolute favorite. I'll have to check out this pastry from Norway you've mentioned! I've never watched Illuminations from over there... may have to check that out too.

The walk back to BC after Illuminations will convert anyone. Priceless!

You are the energizer bunny going to DTD after fireworks. Awesome! Isn't Basin great. Good tip on being in WoD but not necessarily finished at closing time.

Would you believe I've never tried Ghiardelli? May have to fix that this trip too.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #1049
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I'm glad to hear the Surrey bikes weren't too tough to pedal up the hills. I've read complaints about that. I think we may try them our January trip. Sounds like a great evening. I'm with Chris about the location of the Beach Club! The ability to just casually walk over just for Illuminations and then easily escape the crowds is just awesome!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #1050
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

So glad to see an update!! We also loved the walk to the Beach Club from Epcot. Sometimes we'd walk around the Boardwalk just for the enjoyment of an evening walk. It was always lovely and peaceful.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: