Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I agree, GG or WD. Given the OP's choices, thought Goodings by cab, based on walking with groceries and increased selection. GG I would say is best choice, works well.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Poohbear123
Will travel without lipstick
I was tingling at SSW
Born and raised in MIAMI
I sing along to the Piped in Music!...LOUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagafen View Post
If I remember correctly, Goodings was one of the more expensive grocery stores...I agree with the PP, order from Garden Grocer. IT's worth the $14 delivery fee to not have to spend that time shopping!!
Or take a cab to Hess their prices are Great!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
TLinden16
Scotty and Ray at Jellyrolls RULE!!! *poke* *poke*
Operating under the influence of Colin Farrell's eyes

I'm going to move this to our resort board.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
joe1946
DIS Veteran

I'm going to predict that Goodings will be out of business by the time you go in October.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

When we stay at SSR we also take a bus to DTD and get off at the second bus stop and with a duffle bag in hand we walk across the street to Hess. We get pop, water and snacks then walk back to catch the bus. A case of water is less than $4.00!

Hess also has great pizza so when we make our trip to Hess we get a slice of pizza and a soda and eat it before we do our shopping. It's the cheapest meal we have while vacation at Disney. Our last trip we had lunch at Hess which cost $7.35 for two people. We got 4 hotdogs, two soda's, and a bag of combo's.
The best Hess to go to is the one just before you get to the car care center by the magic kingdom. It is spacious inside and has several tables to eat at. It's clean. In fact the last time we were there, there were several sheriff officers in there having lunch. The menu has hot dogs, pizza by the slice or whole, grilled chicken sandwiches, subs and some mexican items.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
Didn't Goodings close? But the others are right. It wasn't worth going there even when it was open. I would use one of the grocery order services as mentioned by PP's.
I think the only Goodings left is the one outside Downtown Disney, last time I walked in there some of the shelves looked half empty,the place looked old and dirty and very expensive.When I first went to a Gooding's like 18 years ago the place was also expensive but at least looked new and nice,nicer than most supermarkets back them.Right now there's 4-5 Publix supermarkets within 10 miles of the DTD Gooding's that are much nicer with way better prices.You also have more options than back then with Wal Mart Supercenters,SuperTargets,there's a Whole Foods about 10 minutes away on Sand lake rd and Turkey lake rd.I agree with another poster that Gooding's time is very limited.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I think the only Goodings left is the one outside Downtown Disney, last time I walked in there some of the shelves looked half empty,the place looked old and dirty and very expensive.When I first went to a Gooding's like 18 years ago the place was also expensive but at least looked new and nice,nicer than most supermarkets back them.Right now there's 4-5 Publix supermarkets within 10 miles of the DTD Gooding's that are much nicer with way better prices.You also have more options than back then with Wal Mart Supercenters,SuperTargets,there's a Whole Foods about 10 minutes away on Sand lake rd and Turkey lake rd.I agree with another poster that Gooding's time is very limited.

The one at the Crossroads by Downtown Disney is the one I was talking about. There was a thread not long ago about it closing.

Me DW DD(18) DD(15) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0516 View Post
I was told I couldn't pack peanut butter on the airplane. Do you just ship a case of water to your hotel a couple days before you leave? I won't need much we are just having a mini fridge. But would like to have some things. Thinking normally it would cost at home $30 what I want. I did find one of those DVC grocery lists and things didn't seem that bad considering it is on vacation at Disney....
Well, my wife constantly packs PB on the plane. It has never been an issue for us. Especially if it is a sealed new container, in your checked baggage I don't see how they can complain.

Many people will order a case of water from something like Staples or Costco and have it get shipped directly to the resort. Some now charge fees to accept the delivery, so you may need to call your resort and explain you are having something shipped, what is their procedure. If you put your arrival date on the label they should have no problem holding it for you.

Some of the prices in the stores at Disney aren't bad, especially bread products. Just like in your local grocery store, they have the price printed right on the packaging, so Disney usually won't mark those up.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!

I was thinking of using Garden Grocer, but the prices on their website took my breath away. My brother is joining us the day after we arrive, so we'll make due until he can drive us to Wal-Mart or Target. When we were without wheels in 2/08, we did find the Hess Mart to have good prices, but carrying a case of water back--on top of cases of beer--is just too hard.
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post
I'm going to predict that Goodings will be out of business by the time you go in October.
Yeah, I tend to agree.
We stopped in there last year, in addition to being absurdly overpriced the store was dirty & shelves half empty.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0516 View Post
I was told I couldn't pack peanut butter on the airplane. Do you just ship a case of water to your hotel a couple days before you leave? I won't need much we are just having a mini fridge. But would like to have some things. Thinking normally it would cost at home $30 what I want. I did find one of those DVC grocery lists and things didn't seem that bad considering it is on vacation at Disney....
You can put peanut butter in checked luggage.

To be honest, for what a cab would cost, I would just buy at the resort store. It's overpriced but the amount is not more than a cab if you are just buying a few things.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #27
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
Didn't Goodings close? But the others are right. It wasn't worth going there even when it was open. I would use one of the grocery order services as mentioned by PP's.
Last time I was there the store was empty with little merchandise. Was told they were bankrupt ??

[
][/URL]][/URL][
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
Last time I was there the store was empty with little merchandise. Was told they were bankrupt ??
Yep.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...le-supermarket

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
snowy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #29
beccasmom
DIS Veteran

Garden Grocer or WeGoShop are two on-line alternatives. We are using GG for the 4th time this year and are very pleased with their service. We usually order snacks, soda, beer, a case of water, and breakfast-type items and staples (eggs, milk, bread, etc.). Prices are okay; MUCH better than on-site @ WDW! Also, selection is very good.

beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

We use garden grocer, and we always have a car. The convenience is well worth it---and even more so if you have to walk.

If we need to resupply mid-week, I drive past the Goodings up to the Winn Dixie just a mile or so north of Crossroads. I've only been in the Goodings once. Not only was it hideously overpriced, but it was dingy, poorly lit, with water stains on the ceilings and floors. I don't know if I just caught them after some sort of plumbing disaster or what, but I've never been back since.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: