Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #151
sbgclori
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 16

Good Luck everyone... the one thing I can say is really try the seats outside before you even get in line) to get an idea.... basically the guy outside was really nice.... they have two seats you can test. So I did not get the green light but he pushed it down as far as he could then he held the other seat down to where mine was and then kept pushing till the light came on so he could see how much further the seat needed to go for the green light... it was less than and inch so he said go for it. I got past the seats inside and got on the ride. I really think the seats on the real ride are bigger so if at all possible just bypass the testers inside and just try to get on. GOOD LUCK!
sbgclori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #152
disneyannie
Earning My Ears
 
disneyannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: peterborough, uk
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
Hi,

I saw one CM pushing really hard on one seat in order to help, but they then passed beyond where I could see them, so I don't know if they managed to do it, or if the guest was asked to leave. So, if you are with me so far, you will see that it is quite discrete, and not visible to everybody if you are asked to leave the ride. I know that this will be of no comfort to anyone that really wants to do the ride, but at least it is as discrete as possible.

By the way, the ride was absolutely fabulous!
Thanks for this comment, i really want to ride, but appreciate i may not fit. so now i know its discrete i'm happy to go for it and what will be will be xxxx
__________________
disneyannie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #153
buttongirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2

Was not able to ride

I waited in line for 90 min with my two children and was not pulled out of line. When we reached the ride I buckeled my two children in safely and then sat down myself. I did not fit. Not even close. The ride attendant was irrated and asked me to leave the ride but would not let me retrieve my seven year old daughter who was crying because she was scared to ride without me.

I am 5'7'' and weight 220lbs. I wear a size 18 or 20. I carry my weight in my thighs and chest. I have never had a problem fitting on a ride before. I just wanted to warn anyone who is traveling alone with children to prepare them that they may have to ride by themsleves. I wish I had seen this thread before my trip!
buttongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #154
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer
 
MIChessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttongirl View Post
I waited in line for 90 min with my two children and was not pulled out of line. When we reached the ride I buckeled my two children in safely and then sat down myself. I did not fit. Not even close. The ride attendant was irrated and asked me to leave the ride but would not let me retrieve my seven year old daughter who was crying because she was scared to ride without me.

I am 5'7'' and weight 220lbs. I wear a size 18 or 20. I carry my weight in my thighs and chest. I have never had a problem fitting on a ride before. I just wanted to warn anyone who is traveling alone with children to prepare them that they may have to ride by themsleves. I wish I had seen this thread before my trip!
I was in this situation last Friday, except that I "volunteered" myself to the inside seat tester. The outside tester had already failed me and told me to report to the inside test seat. When I failed a second time, they kicked me out. It was just me and my 8-year-old niece, whom I did not want to ride without me, assuming they would have allowed it. I'll try sneaking by the inside seats alone next time, and they can throw me out from the loading area instead...heh.
MIChessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #155
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttongirl View Post
I waited in line for 90 min with my two children and was not pulled out of line. When we reached the ride I buckeled my two children in safely and then sat down myself. I did not fit. Not even close. The ride attendant was irrated and asked me to leave the ride but would not let me retrieve my seven year old daughter who was crying because she was scared to ride without me.

I am 5'7'' and weight 220lbs. I wear a size 18 or 20. I carry my weight in my thighs and chest. I have never had a problem fitting on a ride before. I just wanted to warn anyone who is traveling alone with children to prepare them that they may have to ride by themsleves. I wish I had seen this thread before my trip!
SO WEIRD! I'm 5'6 but weigh about the same and I fit. The first time I had the girls in a push up bra and the second just a bra shelf cami. It's the thighs that KILL though. I'm sorry that you were not able to ride How was your daughter after?
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #156
buttongirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2

After reading this thread I am pretty sure that it was my thighs and chest that were my issue. The gentleman who lead me around to the unloading area to retrieve my children told me that it was actually very difficult for them to predict who would and would not fit the harness.

Unfortunately my daughter was crying and very upset at the end of the ride. She would not go on another dark ride for the rest of the trip. She did have a blast on the roller coasters though!
buttongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #157
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 493

Well if it makes you feel better my 53 yo mom said she had nightmares from the Dementors part. She only watched the 1st movies and never read the books so she wasn't prepared. She did like the Mummy!
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #158
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,947

Q for those who were sweating it out & had success...

wondering if any of you had tried the test seat for Epcot's Sum of All Thrills Coaster & fit?

I tried it & fit easily, was hoping to save myself embarrassment @ HP in Oct.

Had no issue with the girls (DDs) when lowering the epcot restraint. it was an odd feeling to feel my ample backside slide down into the seat that looks similar to the pic posted here, except the Epcot one has much deeper sides due to section attached to back part weird feeling to slide down into itoddly enough, easier to get out than in for some reason lol





__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!


Last edited by keishashadow; 08-11-2010 at 08:52 PM.
keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #159
OrlandoUnited
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 106

They're not the same. I fit on Sum of All Thrills just fine. Harry Potter, not at all.
OrlandoUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #160
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttongirl View Post
I waited in line for 90 min with my two children and was not pulled out of line. When we reached the ride I buckeled my two children in safely and then sat down myself. I did not fit. Not even close. The ride attendant was irrated and asked me to leave the ride but would not let me retrieve my seven year old daughter who was crying because she was scared to ride without me.

I am 5'7'' and weight 220lbs. I wear a size 18 or 20. I carry my weight in my thighs and chest. I have never had a problem fitting on a ride before. I just wanted to warn anyone who is traveling alone with children to prepare them that they may have to ride by themsleves. I wish I had seen this thread before my trip!
Frankly, I'm horrified by this story - I can't imagine not being allowed to retrieve my child!

I don't care if they have to shut down the whole ride, if my child is scared to go through alone, then she shouldn't have to go through alone. My husband would have been ripping heads off right and left.

Since you didn't try the seats out front, they should have pulled you aside for the test seats inside. But they didn't, which means they dropped the ball by not grabbing you out of line. Forcibly separating parents and children is inexcusable. I think this one's worthy of writing a letter of complaint, so that in future they're more proactive about pulling people out of line when there's any doubt.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #161
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Frankly, I'm horrified by this story - I can't imagine not being allowed to retrieve my child!

I don't care if they have to shut down the whole ride, if my child is scared to go through alone, then she shouldn't have to go through alone. My husband would have been ripping heads off right and left.

Since you didn't try the seats out front, they should have pulled you aside for the test seats inside. But they didn't, which means they dropped the ball by not grabbing you out of line. Forcibly separating parents and children is inexcusable. I think this one's worthy of writing a letter of complaint, so that in future they're more proactive about pulling people out of line when there's any doubt.
There was another sibling riding too. The child was not riding alone. But I agree that if the child didn't want to ride once the mother had to leave, they should have let that child off. I guess we'd have to have been there to know exactly how it happened.

Last edited by damo; 08-12-2010 at 09:38 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #162
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoUnited View Post
They're not the same. I fit on Sum of All Thrills just fine. Harry Potter, not at all.
there goes that hopeful thoughtthanx for the reply though
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #163
lkaanda
Mouseketeer
 
lkaanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Q for those who were sweating it out & had success...

wondering if any of you had tried the test seat for Epcot's Sum of All Thrills Coaster & fit?

I tried it & fit easily, was hoping to save myself embarrassment @ HP in Oct.

Had no issue with the girls (DDs) when lowering the epcot restraint. it was an odd feeling to feel my ample backside slide down into the seat that looks similar to the pic posted here, except the Epcot one has much deeper sides due to section attached to back part weird feeling to slide down into itoddly enough, easier to get out than in for some reason lol





We are thinking of going in Feb, and I was wondering about this ride. I was looking at your pictures and wondering if the seats are in sections of 4 or is it a continuous run of seats? Just trying to see how we would seat the kids with my husband and I, especially since it sounds like some parts can be scary in the dark.
__________________
Me DH DS13 DD9DS6


lkaanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #164
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkaanda View Post
We are thinking of going in Feb, and I was wondering about this ride. I was looking at your pictures and wondering if the seats are in sections of 4 or is it a continuous run of seats? Just trying to see how we would seat the kids with my husband and I, especially since it sounds like some parts can be scary in the dark.
They are in sections of 4.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #165
John_RN
Mouseketeer
 
John_RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 76

I just got back from a 5 day trip to Orlando. Spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at WWOHP. I was a little worried that I would not fit after stalking these boards for weeks. I am 5'8" 235 lbs and I had no problem getting the 3 clicks on my own and still felt good in the seat.

I will say this though, on my 5th time riding there was a lady in front of me who I thought was rather large and I kept thinking she was going to be turned away. They didnt even pull her out of line for a test seat. She ended up sitting in the bench with me and my SO and she could only get 2 clicks and the TM literally pushed down with all his weight to get the third click. He then asked her if she could breathe okay and she said yes but it was really uncomfortable. I thought for sure he was going to let her off but nope, all he asked was "can you tolerate it for 5 minutes??" She must've said yes because she rode. And he pushed hard.
John_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: