Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
mnrose
DIS Veteran

No question that it's cheaper to make a pot of coffee than to use those one cup machines. I make a "pot" of coffee everyday...it says it's "6 cups", but it really fills my large mug twice. I drink one cup. Then refrigerate the other, and reheat it the next day. Still tastes just fine to me. We pay $14 for a three pound bag of coffee at Costco, and we EASILY get 30 pots of coffee from that. So, less than 50 cents a pot for very strong coffee, or for the cup I drink, less than a quarter. I had one of those cup things, and the coffee was way too weak for my taste. If I made the 5 ounce version it *almost* was strong enough, but the 5 ounce size was less than 1/2 the amount of coffee I wanted to drink. It was costing me more than twice as much to drink coffee that wasn't as good. I gave the machine away, and went back to brewing a pot every other day.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
No question that it's cheaper to make a pot of coffee than to use those one cup machines. I make a "pot" of coffee everyday...it says it's "6 cups", but it really fills my large mug twice. I drink one cup. Then refrigerate the other, and reheat it the next day. Still tastes just fine to me. We pay $14 for a three pound bag of coffee at Costco, and we EASILY get 30 pots of coffee from that. So, less than 50 cents a pot for very strong coffee, or for the cup I drink, less than a quarter. I had one of those cup things, and the coffee was way too weak for my taste. If I made the 5 ounce version it *almost* was strong enough, but the 5 ounce size was less than 1/2 the amount of coffee I wanted to drink. It was costing me more than twice as much to drink coffee that wasn't as good. I gave the machine away, and went back to brewing a pot every other day.
Never thought about putting the extra coffee in the fridge and heating it up the next day! Good idea!

I think why I want a Keurig machine so much is because I hear you can also make tea and hot chocolate with it...are the teas and hot chocolate pretty good??

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #18
Evi
DIS Veteran

I'd say the kureg. I use an espresso machine and honestly the cost of the machine is way more then I pay for coffee in one year. But I love my expresso machine and I love freshly ground coffee. I think it all depends on what you like. I personally don't like those premixed coffee pods. They remind me to much of college we had one of those machines and all the coffee you could drink. Trust me I've had every flavor I still love a fresh pressed expresso with steamed milk or hot water.
Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #19
Purseval
DIS Veteran

My mother has a Keurig. She lives alone and bought one of those refillable containers so she can use generic coffee with it. It's perfect for her. My "cup" would take 3 or 4 of those to fill so I use a regular old coffee pot.

She also had a problem with her first one. She called customer service and they sent her a shipping labe to return hers plus a brand new one (newer model also) to replace it. Very happy with that.
Purseval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #20
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shortpeopleruleme View Post
I LOVED my Keurig. I woke up every morning and told it good morning, I mean it when I say I LOVED it... until it died less then a year after buying it. We kept up with the cleaning and filter changing. That was a lot of money to pay for something that went up so quickly. I am not saying that this will happen to anyone else, but I did want to pass along what happened to us.

We are back on the coffee maker.
Keurig will send you a replacement if under a year. I've had ours at the office replaced just need to send back the Kcup holder.
sue1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
You can buy a filter cup for the Keurig so you can use ground coffee.
This is what I do and there is no waste. I stock up on Starbuck's when it goes on sale and I have a coupon - I'm able to buy each bag for about $4.50 plus you can take the empty bag to a Starbuck's and get a free cup of coffee.
I store the coffee in the freezer.

I have also been able to buy New England coffee for about $1 a bag (on sale and with a coupon) but since I don't care for it, I donate it to a food bank.

If you decide to stay with the 10 cup coffeemaker you can freeze some of the coffee in ice cube trays and use it when you have iced coffee.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #22
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I think why I want a Keurig machine so much is because I hear you can also make tea and hot chocolate with it...are the teas and hot chocolate pretty good??
In my personal experience, the teas and hot chocolate are not a good use of the Keurig nor are they a good value. We have 2 Keurigs at my office and our budget person orders the decaf green tea and the hot chocolate in addition to a range of coffees. I don't like the taste of the hot chocolate - it has palm oil in it or something equally off-tasting. I prefer to bring Swiss Miss to work and either add it to my coffee or make it in the microwave. The green tea is good but I pop out the K-cup holder first and rinse it out otherwise my tea tastes like coffee. I can buy Celestial Seasonings decaf green tea for $1 a box after coupons and sales which is a lot cheaper than
40 cents for a single K-cup.

You'll just have to try it and see.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
We have found that you really need to play around with the brand of K-cups you buy to find one you like. They vary from light roast to dark roast and bold/extra-bold, etc. My family likes a weaker coffee, so we buy the light roast kind. I think I finally found one that my mom and DD can enjoy. They are so very different! You need to spend some time trying different kinds (variety pack works great for this) and also on various settings (cup sizes).

Personally, I like Twinings English Breakfast tea. But I find the tea made with that brand of K-cups is pretty strong. So I drink the first cup even though its stronger than I like, then I run the machine through the same cup for my second cup, and that is better. So I get two cups out of one K-cup. Which is about what I drink at work.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #24
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
So my Starbucks coffee stash is down from 20lbs to 6lbs

I'm trying to figure out which will be cheaper for us. For 2 people, we go through a pound of coffee in about 1 week and a few days. But sometimes with every pot we make, there is always enough left over for 2 cups at least.

Which is cheaper: The Keruig or the Coffee Maker???
If you drink a lot of coffee, the regular coffee maker will be cheaper. Even with Amazon subscribe and save, it is pretty expensive. I think where the Keurig is cheaper is when people drink little coffee (one cup per day) or who would normally go to Starbucks. It is also good for families who like DIFFERENT types of coffee. My DH only drinks decaf due to his blood pressure, but no one else wants decaf. So with the regular pot, we would make one regular pot. DH would either have to drink that or we would have to dump it and make him a pot of decaf (small pots, of course). But with the Keurig, DH can have his decaf, DD can have her vanilla latte type coffee and my mom regular. I use the Keurig for tea. At home I just use it to make the hot water and then use a regular tea bag. At work I use a tea k-cup because its not as messy with the wet tea bag.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer

I'm sure making a pot of coffee is way cheaper. However, I LOVE my Kuerig! LOVE IT! I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee. I like the Breakfast Blend and the Italian Blend by Timothy's. My husband, if the baby has been up all night, likes the Caribou. My favorite is the English Breakfast tea which I also find a bit strong so I just use my giant Mickey mug and run it twice. I've never thought it tasted like coffee.

My mother-in-law didn't like any of the flavors I had here so she used the refillable K-Cup with her beloved Maxwell house when she was visiting and loved it.

But, economical it is not.

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
This is what I do and there is no waste. I stock up on Starbuck's when it goes on sale and I have a coupon - I'm able to buy each bag for about $4.50 plus you can take the empty bag to a Starbuck's and get a free cup of coffee.
I store the coffee in the freezer.
You sound like me. I buy Starbucks on sale since you can get the free coffee at the store and I love the ground coffee. The Keurig is amazing, especially for those people home a lot, like SAHMs. It has been such a wonderful treat to my life. The new Keurig even makes iced coffee. So tempted, but my 3 year old one still works great. The My K-Cup is super cheap with your own coffee. Of course, I have a few K-cups when I'm in a rush. I can get a pack of 18 for $6-7 with my work discount.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #27
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1013 View Post
Keurig will send you a replacement if under a year. I've had ours at the office replaced just need to send back the Kcup holder.
I've also had one replaced when under a year. I have also had a $100.00 credit toward a new unit for one that was over a year old. We keep 2 active, working units in our home. Can't be without our Keurig!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
MyDizneyBoyz
Me and my Disney Lovin' Boys!

From a strictly financial standpoint, the cost per cup is cheaper with a regular coffee pot. So it all depends on how you guys consume coffee in your house.

If you regularly fill up thermoses, then a single-cup maker is going to drive you bonkers.

If you enjoy a single cup at a time and like having a variety to choose from, then a single cup maker is the way to go.

We have a Keurig and love it as we all have different tastes in our house. It's also a lot of fun when we have company as they can pick and choose whatever they'd like, plain or flavored.

Have fun deciding!
Gloria Harry and Da Boyz: DS#1 DS#2 DS#3
Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion 3/4/03
Getting our Disney fix every year since 2001
OKW 9/2007, SSR 9/2008, SSR 9/2009, SSR 10/2010
MyDizneyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #29
TiggerStac
I'm going to join in on this one
he sure looks like a dog on the sweatshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
You can buy a filter cup for the Keurig so you can use ground cofffee.

Why not just brew 10 cups of coffee so you don't throw any away?
Do you have one of the filters?? if so how do you like it and how much coffee do you put in it??

I want to get one so I can get my starbucks fix everyso often and probalby to get dunkin donuts for hubby, so he'll stop spending $250/day for his coffee, but I don't know anyone who has it.

On the topic..Keurig worked for us. We were always making more coffee than we would drink. Love the convience of kcups and the fact that I make a fresh one if I make a 2nd. I'm a big ice coffee drinker, what I've been doing lately is making it night before and putting in fridge for the am. I make 2 kcups worth and its the perfect amount for me. Best price I found was this past week kohls had 9.99 onsale, then 1.00 off keurig, so 8.99, then 20% off coupon....7.19. I normally get the large box of newmans at bjs, I will buy from amazon when they have sales. But I need to stop doing this, cuz I tend to get bored w/flavor quickly. I'm done w/butter toffee, and probably have 1.25 boxes from a sale...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

You guys have given me so much information that I didn't know about this marvelous-sounding machine!

What it sounds like, from the way we drink our coffee, the Keurig may not be so economical for us.

However, there are times when I go home for lunch or after dinner with dessert, that I want a nice cup of coffee...this is where I think the Keurig might come in handy! Perhaps if money allows, I'll ask for it for Christmas.

I heard that there was a swap thread on the Budget board, where you can trade cups for different flavors?? Is that still going on?

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: