Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #76
tinkandtank
Earning My Ears

Great to hear about some good news for a change!
tinkandtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #77
cakesnjammom
DIS Veteran

They don't call it the MAGIC for nothing!
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #78
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

What a great story! Brother and SIL just got off the cruise a few days earlier in London, before it went to Barcelona - they had a great time, I was completely jealous!
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #79
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterLeah View Post
Whats really impressive, is that not only did the story get qouted from the board,basically around the world now, but another board is referencing it back here also.Scroll to the bottom of the page to where is says Disney Message board site.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #80
lundve
DIS Veteran

Am reading this from the link on the USAToday website. Way cool!

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #81
ixDreamxofxDisney
Earning My Ears

From SuziQZee: I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

I was actually on the ship for that cruise, and my friends and I had stayed up until about 345 in Diversions when one of our friends noticed something in the water: the little dingy boat! We ran up to the 4th deck and watched as Disney lowered a lifeboat and dragged the Algerians around the ship. It was truly a sight to see, and it makes a great story to tell, too! Hahaha
1994 - Wilderness Lodge * 1996 - Wilderness Lodge * 1999 - Wilderness Lodge * 09/2003 - Animal Kingdom Lodge * 08/2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge * 04/2006 - Pop Century * 08/2006 - Port Orleans RS/Polynesian * 08/2007 - Caribbean Beach * 11/2008 - Saratoga Springs * 07/2009 - Saratoga Springs/Port Orleans RS/Animal Kingdom Lodge

2006 - Wonder Cruise * 2008 - Magic Thanksgiving Cruise * 2010 - Magic Mediterranean Cruise * 2011 - Magic Thanksgiving Cruise

Fall 2012 DCP - Main Entrance Operations
ixDreamxofxDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #82
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

I was also on the ship and although this was a bit of excitement, it won't end well for the rescued people.

They got taken off of the ship at death o'clock and straight into a Police van. The Spanish authorities will deport them before they even get their feet dried. They are very, very strict.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #83
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
I was also on the ship and although this was a bit of excitement, it won't end well for the rescued people.

They got taken off of the ship at death o'clock and straight into a Police van. The Spanish authorities will deport them before they even get their feet dried. They are very, very strict.
Any time someone is found at sea they ahve to be taken into custody because they could be bad. The cops there are strict but if these algerians have nothing to hide, then they will be released. Most likely back to Algeria.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #84
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Also made MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38626934...cruise_travel/
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #85
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
That is amazing.....and this is not the first time the Magic has come to the aid of people in need.

We were on the Magic years ago on a caribbean cruise and we had to stop to offer aid to a very small rowboat that had 4 or 5 adult men and young boy. It was very sad to see them bobbing around in the boat with tattered clothing but because of Coast Guard regulations (we were told) we could not bring them aboard. We tied up to the rowboat and CM's were tossing water and food in their boat but we had to wait for the CG to come. When CG ship came the refugees got very nervous and were jumping in the water to get away. They were picked up the CG vessel and we brought the rowboat onboard. It was sad as we heard that they had fled Cuba and were lost at seas without supplies for a few days and were most likely now headed back there.

MJ
^^^ So I wonder how it is possible the Algerians got picked up then. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they are safe, but this leaves me with the following questions. Is there a difference between Algerians fleeing economic hardship and Cubans fleeing a totalitarian Communist dictatorship? Are there different Coast Guard regulations for different people in distress at sea in international waters?
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #86
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlySwan View Post
^^^ So I wonder how it is possible the Algerians got picked up then. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they are safe, but this leaves me with the following questions. Is there a difference between Algerians fleeing economic hardship and Cubans fleeing a totalitarian Communist dictatorship? Are there different Coast Guard regulations for different people in distress at sea in international waters?
The US Coast Guard would not be involved in anything like this in the Med. because it is out of it's jurisdiction.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #87
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Quote:
It is the difference between the regulation in the US as opposed to those of other countries. In many ways it makes me feel very sad.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #88
idreamaway
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The US Coast Guard has no authority in international waters...
idreamaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #89
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

I was under the impression maritime law dictated that assistance be given to any ship or vessel in distress at sea, regardless of location or nationality of passengers aboard said vessel. I guess my question is this. Why were the Algerians picked up and brought aboard the Magic while the Cubans were left to be picked up by the Coast Guard? Surely there must be the equivalent of a Spanish Coast Guard in the Mediterranean.
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #90
Malaguti Ball Clan
aka the MALABALL an unstoppable family of fun

Quote:
I was under the impression maritime law dictated that assistance be given to any ship or vessel in distress at sea, regardless of location or nationality of passengers aboard said vessel. I guess my question is this. Why were the Algerians picked up and brought aboard the Magic while the Cubans were left to be picked up by the Coast Guard? Surely there must be the equivalent of a Spanish Coast Guard in the Mediterranean.
Although it is a requirement of signatory countries to render aid to those in peril at sea, it is not a requirement to embark them. As the PP stated, the Cuban refugees were kept alongside until the USCG showed up and embarked them, therefore I would speculate that the weather conditions, amount of daylight remaining and estimated time of arrival by USCG units dictated that the risk was acceptable to leave the Cubans in the boat. Also as the PP stated, the cubans tried to swim away from the USCG, could you imagine if they were on DCL and saw the CG, they may have "ran" and that would have been quite the scene!

Its not an issue MAGIC making the decision alone, I am sure they were advised by the USCG to "stand by" the cuban boat until the USCG asset arrived.

As for the Algerians, I cannot speculate as much here but I would guess that the Spanish CG does not have the same capabilities both in terms of communications, assets nor the experience the USCG has in dealing with migrants.

Cubans are very rarely are happy to see the USCG unless things are going wrong and their lives are in imminent danger, as they know they will most likely be going back to cuba if the USCG gets them.

SSR/OKW/SOG 14 days June 2009
DCL/AKL Jambo 12 days Sep/Oct 2010
Malaguti Ball Clan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: