Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer

Looking for Fun Stops

I am taking my mother and daughter to Disneyland in December to celebrate my daughters 6th birthday. We have been throwing around the idea of driving from Spokane WA to Disneyland and are looking for some ideas for fun stops along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Disney World Honeymoon Pop Jan 2008
ImaDVCwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

My parents are from Spokane so we would drive up to see the grandparents every year or two. We were driving from northern california (bay area) though. I'm trying to thik of some of the places we would stop at. Well, one place we almost always stopped at was Multnomah Falls in oregon. I love that place - very nostalgic for me. The last time we drove up to washington we stopped at the big Harry and David store in Oregon (sorry, forgot which town it's in) but it's where their headquarters are. They even have a tour you can take but we didn't have time and i think you might need to make reservations for it. In northern california we would always stop around Mt. Shasta at a rest stop there that has lots of grass, trees, etc for running around. There's also a cave tour somewhere around there. Mt Lassen i think? Not exactly sure where that is. We've also stopped at Crater Lake in Oregon, we went to the sand dunes in oregon one time and we went through some caves (was it in Cave Junction maybe?).

Also in California is Sacramento (old town, the capitol building, etc), San Francisco, Monterey bay aquarium, hearst castle, solvang, santa barabara. And there's all the missions in california.

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

I want to go there some day, but I hear the Redwood National Forest in northern California is a must see. Also, Muir Woods outside of San Francisco is something else.

We enjoyed Monterey Bay, the Aquarium and the 17 miles Drive. You should also stop and see Big Sur.

Solvang is a fun place. It looks like an old dutch settlement.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer

Thanks those are all great ideas

Disney World Honeymoon Pop Jan 2008
ImaDVCwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
CADisneyMom
DIS Veteran

You can also go to Santa Cruz on Hwy 1. They have this place called the Mystery Spot. It's really neat, haven't done it since I was a kid but it was really cool then. I drove all the way to Disneyland on Hwy 1 one year just since we weren't in any time frame to get there. I live right on the coast and when I want to destress I just take a drive down the Hwy to Santa Cruz and back. Very relaxing. There are also a lot of fruit/vegetable stands on the Hwy. There's also the Distillery restaurant that is reportedly haunted by the blue lady. There's a place right near there called "Three Palms" that gets very creepy at night. There's also a book called "Weird California" that lists all kinds of really neat places to visit.
CADisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

Multnomah Falls won't be on your way. You will cut South before you get that far west. When we drive, we go the other way, I-90 into CDA, we go thru Vegas, but that is because we have family & friends there. We are doing the drive this summer too. We are making a loop. Going there we are I-90 East into CDA & Montana, then I-15 South, going thru Utah and Vegas. Utah has really nice parks like Zion, that is well worth a stop in my opinion.

Our return trip home we are heading up thru Cali. Definitely if you have time stop in Monterey or SF, but you wouldn't normally go that way, it's quicker to stay more Inland going thru Sacramento. We are just heading home that way for a change of scenery & to be honest we haven't decided on the return route, we may come back thru Vegas again.

It's kind of a crappy drive, imo. Not much to do along the way without really going way off the direct route.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
reynmagsmom
DIS Veteran

In southern OR there is a wild animal park drive thru that we try to stop by every trip it is off the 5 and fairly easy and quick to get to..... it is alot of fun if your child likes animals...
Heres the website for it
http://www.wildlifesafari.net/park_info.asp#Admission
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Mikes:)Mom
Mouseketeer

Sounds fun. We are going to drive down from Salem, Oregon. We decided to take our time getting down. We are going to see the redwoods. Itís awesome! You can even drive your car though a tree! Then we are driving HWY 1. It adds a lot of time but itís so beautiful.
In Oregon off I-5 stop by the Oregon Caves. Itís a little out of the way but worth it. They have guided tours. The wildlife Safari is cool too. Itís in Winston.
Iíll have to think some more. You can stay in Yosemite. Iíve always wanted to go there. Maybe next year?!

Good Luck!
Disneyland - many times as a kid 2007 POR 2008 POP 2009 Royal Pacific Resort 2009 POP : 2011 NYE at Disneyland 2011 SOLO at CSR 2012 POP 2012 Disneyland hotel 2013 Hard Rock Hotel & POFQ 2014 Disneyland Paris
Mikes:)Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Magix
Blackhearted Pirate
Indeed, I have paid far too high a price fer such a silly trinket, but it were me desp'rate desire te have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADisneyMom View Post
You can also go to Santa Cruz on Hwy 1. They have this place called the Mystery Spot. It's really neat, haven't done it since I was a kid but it was really cool then. I drove all the way to Disneyland on Hwy 1 one year just since we weren't in any time frame to get there. I live right on the coast and when I want to destress I just take a drive down the Hwy to Santa Cruz and back. Very relaxing. There are also a lot of fruit/vegetable stands on the Hwy. There's also the Distillery restaurant that is reportedly haunted by the blue lady. There's a place right near there called "Three Palms" that gets very creepy at night. There's also a book called "Weird California" that lists all kinds of really neat places to visit.

You can't go to Santa Cruz without visiting the Boardwalk!! They do have kids rides there. Right on the beach and a great, great day. Be sure to ride the Cave Train - stupid fun!! You can also head up into the mountains just a few miles and visit Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. They have a loop railroad you can ride (for a fee, of course). Deeper in the mountains, you'll find Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California's first state park. Absolutely beautiful. Just a couple miles down the coast, you can also visit the SS Palo Alto - it's a cement ship built for WWII (but not used in the war). You can't go on the actual ship anymore, but it's still out there at the end of the pier and there's a small visitor's center that gives historic info. Interesting stuff.

Further down the coast, when you hit San Luis Obispo, be sure to visit Bubble Gum Alley. Gross to some, great to others. You can leave your own bubblegum to be part of the tradition. Also, be sure to have dinner in Shell Beach at F. McLintock's Steakhouse & Saloon. Brilliant steakhouse! It's right alongside the 101 fwy as you hit the coast after SLO. Be aware, though, the crowds at dinner time are huge, so give yourselves plenty of time to wait to be seated (or arrive very early).

Have fun on your trip!
1/7-21/2009: Walt Disney World/WL & CB - Circle of Life 5K, plus Universal and Busch Gardens
2/28-3/4/2008: Walt Disney World/AKL - First Visit Ever!!
5/13-19/2007: Adventures by Disney - Roma & La Costa Bella
5/18-28/2006: Adventures by Disney - Land of Eternal Knights, London & Paris plus Disneyland Paris
My motorsport photography site: http://www.cheryljonesphoto.com.
Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADisneyMom View Post
You can also go to Santa Cruz on Hwy 1. They have this place called the Mystery Spot. It's really neat, haven't done it since I was a kid but it was really cool then.
The Oregon Vortex right outside of Grants Pass I-5 is the same idea. I think the Mystery Spot is actually located on Hwyn 17 a jog off of Hwy 1 (I could be wrong, going off of memory)

It really depends on the route you are going to take

The redwoods are beautiful - the drive thru tree, Fern Forest where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed, the Skunk Train to the coast etc. In the Santa Cruz area you have Roaring Camp which is another train and the California Coast is beautiful. The southern Oregon coast has the sand dunes, the sea lion caves, a jet boat ride out of Gold Beach on the Rogue River and some amazing beaches.

If coming down I-5 the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield, CA is a bit off the beaten path but would probably be fun for a 6 yr. old. Central California is pretty boring, not a lot to see or do from just below Redding all the way to BakersField....Lots and lots of farm land, cattle ranches etc.

Hwy 101/1 is certainly prettier but will take substantially more time.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
ORDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Redding has a new sundial bridge and park that is just off the freeway and really pretty. Shasta lake is beautiful but hard to stop at because the banks are so high, no real beach areas. You can stop at the dam area and walk around a bit. Redding has a large waterpark but it is an all day thing ($19 PP). We live in Medford area and drive south a lot. It is a pretty boring drive actually. We like to stop at the in and out burger whoo hoo!

In Medford we have Harry and Davids country store and tours, a mall, multiple restaurants (though none to write home about) and lots of parks and lakes.

Jacksonville is about 5 miles from the freeway and it is a quaint little gold mine town like the old west. Lots of character, good food and little shops. Also a trolley car to ride around the town. Many of the houses are on the historic register and some are available to tour.

Ashland is 10 miles north of the CA border and is the home of the Oregon Shakespeare Theatre. It is a world renowned theatre and people come from all over the worl to see plays here. Ashland is a college town with a mini San Fransico feel to it. It also has a large science museum that is fun but could take several hours. (price about $7.50pp)

Sandee
ORDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: